Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Cool, sounds like a fun bus alternative. Perfect timing cause I was about to start planning out my bus! I think I'd still bus plates and whatnot but then depot the intermediates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

GotLag posted:

Here's a picture of what I mean:

The variation used on the lower two intersections gives you full use of the smaller square, at the minor cost of only being able to reach the inner track from a single direction. Using that size gives you a 20x20 useable square, although without the inner ring you can compress it down to 14x14 inner size:

So I guess the smaller square is dedicated to solar panels? What exactly am I going to do with such a tiny square :v: (where no train station can fit)?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Also, I will not question the awesome aesthetics, but part of why I've been thinking about this is the thing mentioned up-thread where you avoid 3-way crossings. When it's this small, it's still basically a 4-way crossing (except I think extra susceptible to deadlock if you don't signal appropriately).

I think the smaller square still needs to be reasonably big for this to work.

Alternative comedy idea: a truncated square tiling.

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

Dancer posted:

The true aesthetic is to use an aperiodic penrose tiling.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

greatZebu posted:

The true aesthetic is to use an aperiodic penrose tiling.

It's weird that that came up on the internet all over the place just before he won the Nobel

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dancer posted:

So I guess the smaller square is dedicated to solar panels? What exactly am I going to do with such a tiny square :v: (where no train station can fit)?

You can make them bigger, I was pressed for time or I would have worked out the small square that perfectly fits the optimal ratio of solars and batteries.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have a couple of questions about enemies. First, we're getting to a stage where we've got outposts connected by trains but keep finding that biters are attacking the trains and the lines around the same places - there is literally only track and power poles there. Why might be this be? Or is there any way to stop it? With the evolution of the biters now it would be impractical to defend the whole track.

Secondly, I'll occasionally go to the edges of the fog of war to take out biter bases that have been revealed by radar, however they are more like biter cities and not bases. The sort of thing where it's taking at least four atomic bombs to clear one but even then the bases are nearly merged anyway. Honestly it can be biter city as far as the eye can see at times. After nuking all of this there's still a ton of biters milling around that I have to go mopping up. My question is - is there a better way of going about this? I've got a couple of mods, specifically "Power Armor Mk3" and "Spidertron Extended" and these have made the biter challenge less about my personal safety and more about that of my base - however it's still a pain having to spend ages wading through these bases.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Anjow posted:

I have a couple of questions about enemies. First, we're getting to a stage where we've got outposts connected by trains but keep finding that biters are attacking the trains and the lines around the same places - there is literally only track and power poles there. Why might be this be? Or is there any way to stop it? With the evolution of the biters now it would be impractical to defend the whole track.

Secondly, I'll occasionally go to the edges of the fog of war to take out biter bases that have been revealed by radar, however they are more like biter cities and not bases. The sort of thing where it's taking at least four atomic bombs to clear one but even then the bases are nearly merged anyway. Honestly it can be biter city as far as the eye can see at times. After nuking all of this there's still a ton of biters milling around that I have to go mopping up. My question is - is there a better way of going about this? I've got a couple of mods, specifically "Power Armor Mk3" and "Spidertron Extended" and these have made the biter challenge less about my personal safety and more about that of my base - however it's still a pain having to spend ages wading through these bases.

The short answer is artillery.

The longer answer is artillery train bases like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDLIkfSLTmU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I like to use decked out remote controlled spoders in conjunction with artillery

Arty to soften the bases and four or five spodermans to mop up

Hotkey, left click, hotkey, left click, hotkey, left click, hotkey, left click, hotkey, left click and then I go do something else for a bit

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Biters will attack power poles if they get in their way, but that's probably not what's happening to you. Biters only attack rails if they have nothing better to attack. If your line is extremely long, what can happen is that biters get mad about pollution, but when they try to figure out what chunk to go to war on, the one with the most pollution has rails and not buildings.

The easiest way for this to happen would be if you had a mine in a forest and a rail running to it through desert. Especially if the mine runs dry, the forest can absorb most of the pollution, and the pollution that leaks out into the desert can wind up leaving a chunk with/next to rails as the most polluted chunk. The biters path on over there to do their eco-terrorism, and all they see is rails and power lines, so that's what they eat. I guess way to sorta solve this would semi-ironically be to create some pollution in the area, so the biters get attracted to a spot where you want to fight them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The better way to solve it is to burn down the forest

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anjow posted:

Militarize your outposts. Put in tracks for an artillery train next to the resource train, wall the gently caress up, and use the artillery to draw those city dwellers to your outpost and annihilate their home with high velocity explosive delivery. The biters will go for the highest threat they see, and if your wall is bristling with lasers, flame throwers, and bullet turrets, they will leave the tracks and trains alone.

Burn everything inside your pollution envelope.

Wall up choke points, don't let the bugs spread back in after you've cleaned them out.

Give no quarter.

Unrelated: managed a "lazy bastard" run in my second game, I started a new one after 1.0 came out. Modded, but I ain't give a poo poo.
Now to take over the world.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Dancer posted:

Nice idea, here's my take on it:

No idea if this can work in a busy factory, but I think I'll try it out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

as a total newb, blue circuits take how much stuff??

I'm going to need a bigger base. and a bigger smelting setup

this game has the capacity of pulling the rug out from under you, not by dumping infinite enemies in your lap, but through exponentially climbing requirements.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 22, 2020

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Scaling up red circuits to make a smooth supply of blue for tier 3 modules and everything else as well is still pretty daunting as someone that's played hundreds of hours. You can launch a rocket off a reasonably sized base, but it's pretty fun to see your early factory that took you to yellow science end up getting dwarfed by just one ingredient's production later on

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wallrod posted:

Scaling up red circuits to make a smooth supply of blue for tier 3 modules and everything else as well is still pretty daunting as someone that's played hundreds of hours. You can launch a rocket off a reasonably sized base, but it's pretty fun to see your early factory that took you to yellow science end up getting dwarfed by just one ingredient's production later on

Truer words were never spoken. My current base was initially built out on a main bus and eventually with modules and beacons with blue belts scaled up to about 220'ish science per minute.

I'm currently working on increasing that to 1000spm and just the green/red/blue circuits that are only partially built out (designed to scale up as needed later) are pretty drat big compared to that 220spm bus base. I am tapping a couple of belts of red circuits off of the new circuit build but that's to get more module production, and not being used for science. Once I finish getting all the science builds out on the rail network as isolated sub-assemblies the red circuit production in the main base should be sufficient to feed the module production since there will be no science load there anymore.

The green circuit production down at the bottom has to be incredibly large to support 1000 spm. I think I left enough room there!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What are good fast start mods these days? I used to use Inigo's or Tiny start, but neither of them worked correctly when I tried it just now. Tiny didn't spawn any extra gear and Inigo's roboports weren't getting any power for some reason.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LLSix posted:

What are good fast start mods these days? I used to use Inigo's or Tiny start, but neither of them worked correctly when I tried it just now. Tiny didn't spawn any extra gear and Inigo's roboports weren't getting any power for some reason.

I used to use Tiny Start, but now I just use Construction Drones. They are kind of cheaty so once I have robots up and running I get rid of the drones, but they are fantastic for early game placement and deconstruction (and mowing down forests)

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

LLSix posted:

Run Speed Toggle is great if you don't want to waste hours walking from A to B.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

That was a lot closer than I would have liked, but I did it:

I might be playing the game wrong though, because I still don't have the "get killed by a train" achievement

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've completely overhauled Reactor Interface, adding support for blueprints, a hotkey to add/remove interfaces (they are no longer added by default to all reactors unless you set a map option), and all new graphics.
But most importantly, the interfaces now listen for a shutdown signal, and when they receive it (at a value greater than zero) the reactor halts. Fuel consumption and heat production stop, but heat flow continues from the core*

Old art:

New:

I think I've squashed all the bugs but because it's a complete rewrite and I'm bad at comprehensive testing, I would appreciate it if some of you could give the new version a go and make sure it doesn't throw any script errors before I publish it to the portal:
[removed]

* The scripting API used to stop all heat flow when reactors were set to inactive, but that behaviour has since changed so a control signal is now viable.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Oct 26, 2020

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
GotLag, I legitimately thought when I first saw your post that there was a new FFF out that I had missed which added this. It is so well done and fits with the game aesthetic so nicely. Well done. :golfclap:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Seems to be stable so I've uploaded it to the mod portal

Because I'm a terrible, terrible person the copy on the portal has the same version number as the test version posted earlier, but includes some improvements. You'll have to manually update if you downloaded the test version.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

This is the nicest looking thing I made so far in this game :neckbeard:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So it seems that, currently, if I have say, 2 iron outposts, 1 iron smelter stop, and 3 trains, I'll run into a problem eventually where they'll throw a no path error and clog things up. I currently have stackers before every stop, the smelter stop set up with circuitry to enable when there's fewer ore than plates at that stop, and the mining outposts have no circuitry, and so are always on. Due to this, the trains always go to the closest mining outpost, and fill the stacker there while they wait. However, if I set up the outposts to only enable when they have enough ore to fill a train, and there's no train there already, then I'll get a situation where each outpost has a train and the third one will be halfway to wherever it's going when the stations will go disabled and they'll just stop dead in their tracks, pun not intended, and throw no path errors till one of the stations open up. How can I avoid that? Ideally, I'd like them to just go wait in a stacker somewhere till needed. Do I need to install some sort of intermediary station as a 3rd stop?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Right now there are a couple of ways to do that. One of the most popular is to use LTN, the logistics train network mod.

Another option is to wait for 1.1 to roll out and use this train fixes.

Another option is to manually assign x trains to each station based on capacity.

There are probably more ways to do it but I'm pretty bad with trains.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Hey neogeo0823, I use TSM and so I'm going to recommend that one. In your case you could even name the two outposts the same and TSM will send free trains to the one with less trains waiting.
Then you need a depot for your full trains. You build requester stations with a really simple circuit and they will call 1 to X trains to them from the depot if there aren't 1 to X trains on the way yet.

I like it because if I need something, I want it NOW, not waiting for a train to load that stuff first. It also gives a great overview about your material needs. Empty depot = Not enough trains or loading stations

If you want I can write a small manual because the ones I found online were confusing and/or poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I agree on TSM.

The author of TSM actually produced some fairly good and short 'get up and running' videos on YT. I posted them in this thread but probably quite a few pages back now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is there a way to get LTN to dispatch another train before the first one has finished unloading?

THE FACTORY HUNGERS

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

MrYenko posted:

Is there a way to get LTN to dispatch another train before the first one has finished unloading?

THE FACTORY HUNGERS

Yes, by changing the requester settings to more than one train load.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Loving my very early transport drone base so far. It's a nice change from the bus

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Garfu posted:

Loving my very early transport drone base so far. It's a nice change from the bus

That mod pack's graphics reminds me of an old RTS. In a good way.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

KillHour posted:

That mod pack's graphics reminds me of an old RTS. In a good way.

Yeah it's a K2+SE+70 others pack that I put together. Has been awesome

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

THE FACTORY HUNGERS

As Necrotic said - there is a setting in the requester station for 'max trains' if I remember correctly. You need to build in capacity in the form of a stacker (can be inline or whatever) so that the incoming trains don't clog up your network. For stuff like smelters I would normally build a 4 or 6 lane stacker, and set that number to my max # of trains for that requester and it will most of the time try to keep that many trains on the way as long as the other request thresholds were met.

It definitely works, but requires some playing with to get used to how many trains you really need a given station to be asking for to keep things flowing smoothly, at least in my experience.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

The Locator posted:

The author of TSM actually produced some fairly good and short 'get up and running' videos on YT.
Oh, right :blush: I totally ignored those because reading a text about it is sooo much quicker. Except if you only find old texts which aren't very helpful :/

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

RabbitWizard posted:

Oh, right :blush: I totally ignored those because reading a text about it is sooo much quicker. Except if you only find old texts which aren't very helpful :/

Yeah it's really annoying to me that they gave up on having text introductions in favor of the videos. I use it a lot though so I can try and do a writeup with some pictures this evening when I can get screenshots, because the thing I like about it is that especially simpler uses are way simpler than ltn and if you deal with certain restrictions (basically avoiding mixed loads in trains) it stays that way forever.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

necrotic posted:

Yes, by changing the requester settings to more than one train load.

The Locator posted:

As Necrotic said - there is a setting in the requester station for 'max trains' if I remember correctly. You need to build in capacity in the form of a stacker (can be inline or whatever) so that the incoming trains don't clog up your network. For stuff like smelters I would normally build a 4 or 6 lane stacker, and set that number to my max # of trains for that requester and it will most of the time try to keep that many trains on the way as long as the other request thresholds were met.

It definitely works, but requires some playing with to get used to how many trains you really need a given station to be asking for to keep things flowing smoothly, at least in my experience.

In retrospect, that was a really dumb easy question. Thanks guys!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

RabbitWizard posted:

I completely agree and it sucks that nobody makes decent text documentation anymore, but at least this guy keeps his little tutorial videos fairly short and to the point.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Are you guys using TSM in multiplayer, or only single? I ask because we managed to crash the game twice in multiplayer with TSM, and that's (one reason) why we gave up on trying it and stuck with LTN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I did 2 multi-player worlds with TSM and K2 and it never crashed. Did you get any specific errors? If you did it would be worth reporting to the author, he is active on the mod page for it.