Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

I loved the last two Assassin's Creed games, but I am so put off by the viking setting of the next one that I think I'm going to skip it.

Little thing dragging this game that hasn't even been released down.

Do you not like viking settings, or do you not like how they've handled the setting? I haven't been following so I don't know if they've done something dumb with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

I guess maybe I'm just not up to date on the later installments of those franchises because those don't sound anything like the ones I have played. :shrug:

I remember complaints about the opening level in Call of Duty Black Ops playing itself and being very hard to actually die during, but that was meant to be like that because that part is the tutorial section that shows you how stuff works without killing you. I've not played past MW3, but other parts of CoD BlOps and the MW games certainly didn't play themselves. Maybe newer ones are different.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Phigs posted:

Do you not like viking settings, or do you not like how they've handled the setting? I haven't been following so I don't know if they've done something dumb with it.

It's more like the time period and protagonist's aims are inherently gross. It's set in England in 850 which was pretty much the height of some pretty bad stuff.

I sincerely do not know how they'll portray the conflicts, which were irl mostly killing of innocents and literal sex slavery, in a way that won't feel bad. Like will you sack a town and it's for some reason entirely populated with soldiers instead of women and children to avoid any offensiveness? Or will you torture a bunch of monks to death to steal some buckles from a church in the name of realism?

I know that atrocities were happening all the time throughout history (also by England at the very same time in fact) but at the very least you can leave a few things out to make a story work. In this case the setting will need to be made up wholecloth because otherwise there is really nothing there except the stuff no one would want to see.

edit: not to mention it's a little tone deaf to release a rah-rah nordic power fantasy in today's social climate anyway

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Oct 20, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I remember complaints about the opening level in Call of Duty Black Ops playing itself and being very hard to actually die during, but that was meant to be like that because that part is the tutorial section that shows you how stuff works without killing you. I've not played past MW3, but other parts of CoD BlOps and the MW games certainly didn't play themselves. Maybe newer ones are different.

For a while killing the enemies in CoD was kind of irrelevant- you basically just had to cross a line to progress and your squad mates were good at keeping you alive on normal difficulty. Most of your deaths would be from grenades spawning at your feet if you just kept pushing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One thing I'm intrigued by in the new Assassin's Creed, though it could easily turn out to be executed in a really stupid way, is that there's apparently three settings for which version of the main you play as: male, female, and the (evidently canon per tweets by the devs) "let the Animus decide" which will switch between versions depending on the memory you're playing. I think they've also said that both versions of the character canonically exist together so it will be interesting to see if that's purely a cosmetic thing or not.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They've said that you can swap between male and female almost whenever you want. The third option is just to let the game have control over the swapping using some algorithm.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That could lead to some interesting gameplay dynamics. For instance the male, being stronger faster and more athletic could use his superior eyesight to identify targets and stealthily eliminate some and then initiate a full scale fight against multiple opponents. Meanwhile the female could dress up in some skimpy clothes to seduce the guards.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

That could lead to some interesting gameplay dynamics. For instance the male, being stronger faster and more athletic could use his superior eyesight to identify targets and stealthily eliminate some and then initiate a full scale fight against multiple opponents. Meanwhile the female could dress up in some skimpy clothes to seduce the guards.

This but the other way around.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's more like the time period and protagonist's aims are inherently gross. It's set in England in 850 which was pretty much the height of some pretty bad stuff.

I sincerely do not know how they'll portray the conflicts, which were irl mostly killing of innocents and literal sex slavery, in a way that won't feel bad. Like will you sack a town and it's for some reason entirely populated with soldiers instead of women and children to avoid any offensiveness? Or will you torture a bunch of monks to death to steal some buckles from a church in the name of realism?

I know that atrocities were happening all the time throughout history (also by England at the very same time in fact) but at the very least you can leave a few things out to make a story work. In this case the setting will need to be made up wholecloth because otherwise there is really nothing there except the stuff no one would want to see.

edit: not to mention it's a little tone deaf to release a rah-rah nordic power fantasy in today's social climate anyway

This is a big part of it. You could make similar arguments about pirates but in that one you had pretty good antagonists in the form of the British and Spanish fleets/empires, rather than random fishing hamlets. But also the viking setting/aesthetic is just entering (or been in for awhile, depending on your tolerance) the "super played out" phase of the pop culture cycle.

It also seems like it might have the Asscreed 3 problem of "no cool stuff to climb", unless you end up going to Constantinople or something.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I don't want to imply that's not a perfectly reasonable reason to not drop 60 bucks on a video game. I just want to point out that you can look at the depiction of Sparta and Athens in Odyssey and see that Ubisoft still has no problem ignoring the uglier parts of history in order to present a crowd-pleaser game about hurting dudes with swords.

My problem with Viking Creed is kinda yhe opposite: I think it looks fun but I'm leery about continuing to support Ubisoft after all thr behind the scenes stuff.

Edit: Yeah, no ethical consumption etc etc. Still, tho.

Crowetron has a new favorite as of 13:37 on Oct 21, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I mean yeah it's obvious they're going to deal with Vikings the same way that Pirates of the Caribbean dealt with Pirates. The AC games have always been fairly historically accurate, but only in the most broadest (like, huge historical events) and the most minute (this is how actual ancient Egyptians made dye) of ways. Everything in the middle is up to the whims of the writers.

Edit: Gonna learn a lot about nordic hygiene and, like, art I bet. Not so much about what they actually did on raids though.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah I suppose it's an arbitrary line to draw, but to me there's a difference between "we're ignoring the ugly parts" and "it's literally all atrocities so we're making something else up entirely" in a series that claims any sort of historical accuracy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Most vikings were farmers and traders just like everybody else in the Dark Ages so naturally only the cool + violent parts are going to make it into the action-adventure game about killin' dudes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The cool and violent parts like song battles.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tunicate posted:

If you spam whistling while running you don't use stamina

Press down on the d-pad while also pressing forward on the left analog stick? I want to try this next time I play.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

Most vikings were farmers and traders just like everybody else in the Dark Ages so naturally only the cool + violent parts are going to make it into the action-adventure game about killin' dudes.

Yeah and most Americans in 1890 were farmers and traders, doesn't make it a good idea to make a game about being a us cavalry soldier at that time. Most Japanese folks were just average people in 1937 but Assassin's Creed: Nanjing with a Japanese protagonist would be a hard sell.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah and most Americans in 1890 were farmers and traders, doesn't make it a good idea to make a game about being a us cavalry soldier at that time. Most Japanese folks were just average people in 1937 but Assassin's Creed: Nanjing with a Japanese protagonist would be a hard sell.

Someone at Ubisoft reading this:

:thunk:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Okay but you know that, like, you can make a warrior character without them literally doing all the atrocities all the time right?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

brb guys writing up my pitch for Assassin's Creed: Kmer Rouge

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Morpheus posted:

Okay but you know that, like, you can make a warrior character without them literally doing all the atrocities all the time right?

Sounds boring.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kennel posted:

Sounds boring.

Press E to deploy white phosphorous on the catholic church

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Manager Hoyden posted:

brb guys writing up my pitch for Assassin's Creed: Kmer Rouge

I doubt it will sell as well as Assassin’s Creed: Oberst Gruppenführer

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Should've been AC: Varangian Guard

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Schubalts posted:

The cool and violent parts like song battles.

Some of those Nordic diss tracks can be quite vicious.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I watched a recent preview for the single player part and it at least seems interesting. One of the devs even outright said that the main plotline gets naturally kind of depressing given the premise and time period, so there’s a lot of focus on finding random fun side stuff to do to keep things a little more upbeat.

Odyssey tweaked Origins’ formula just enough to be interesting and it sounds like they tried to do the same for Valhalla.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Spoilers:

You do not go to Valhalla in this game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm generally okay with historical fiction games glossing over the various atrocities of the period because 1) they were basically everywhere, and 2) the worldview and structure of ancient societies are so far removed from our own that they resist interpretation through any sort of modernist lens. But past a certain point, you do have to start addressing these injustices. I can't tell you when that cutoff point is but I did find the "liberate child laborers" objectives in Assassin's Creed Syndicate unintentionally funny, so maybe ~1866 or so.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

fartknocker posted:

I doubt it will sell as well as Assassin’s Creed: Oberst Gruppenführer
I can already see how Assassin would be stylized

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Most Japanese folks were just average people in 1937 but Assassin's Creed: Nanjing with a Japanese protagonist would be a hard sell.
I dunno, the Koichi Sugiyama score would be a good marketing point

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yeah I suppose it's an arbitrary line to draw, but to me there's a difference between "we're ignoring the ugly parts" and "it's literally all atrocities so we're making something else up entirely" in a series that claims any sort of historical accuracy.

Yeah, Spartan society was pretty monstrous but the main thing the average joe remembers them for these days is fending off the Persian army and their warrior culture. With vikings raping and pillaging is pretty much their main deal, unless the game is all about colonizing Greenland or something.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Matthewmatosis pointed out something in Death Stranding which sort of peeves me off from buying the thing for the time being.

The cast is compromised of all of Kojima's western friends, and since you wouldnt go through the effort of hiding a famous person under an original character design, you have both their faces and their digital likeness. Fuckin Troy Baker plays himself. It just feals creatively bankrupt to rely on big names and faces to carry your videogame story. Also the least known actor, Tommy Earl Jenkins, bagged the best performance.

Say your writing a book and you want to say your main character looks like Oscar Isaac. You'd probably talk about his complexion, his hair, his cheeks and jawline What you wouldn't do is say he looks like Oscar Isaac because that overrides any past of future conception the reader might have of him.

Then again I never had any issue with all the scanned-in actors in Yakuza, because I had no frame of reference for who these people are. Awano looked like a caricature but he turned out to be real, while Sagawa probably plays the biggest snake who has the saddest end.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think you're coming down a bit heavy on it. Casting known actors recognizably is an artistic choice that blurs the line between cinema and games and Kojima has always been all about that in one way or another.

e: I mean I don't want to tell you how to feel about it, just the conclusion you're drawing that it's creatively bankrupt cause you can recognize the actors I very much don't think holds up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Matthewmatosis pointed out something in Death Stranding which sort of peeves me off from buying the thing for the time being.

The cast is compromised of all of Kojima's western friends, and since you wouldnt go through the effort of hiding a famous person under an original character design, you have both their faces and their digital likeness. Fuckin Troy Baker plays himself. It just feals creatively bankrupt to rely on big names and faces to carry your videogame story. Also the least known actor, Tommy Earl Jenkins, bagged the best performance.

Say your writing a book and you want to say your main character looks like Oscar Isaac. You'd probably talk about his complexion, his hair, his cheeks and jawline What you wouldn't do is say he looks like Oscar Isaac because that overrides any past of future conception the reader might have of him.

Then again I never had any issue with all the scanned-in actors in Yakuza, because I had no frame of reference for who these people are. Awano looked like a caricature but he turned out to be real, while Sagawa probably plays the biggest snake who has the saddest end.

Comparing a visual medium to a descriptive one is a weird thing to do. That's like saying that all actors in all film and tv should be wearing prosthetics to hide their appearance because otherwise it's creatively bankrupt to just cast well-known actors in roles.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess it's not quite DLC, but I bought some super-amazing-deluxe-everything-you-want version of AC: Odyssey the other week when it was on sale for like $20, and part of the package was purple tiered (which I can assume is the best) items that unlock at level 5. So I went from using garbage tier items at level 4, to Legendary (or whatever purple tier is called) at level 5. It was almost like gaining several levels in terms of power.

I went from getting my rear end handed to me by that first mercenary who is tracking you on the starting island, to killing him without even trying with that gear on.

I pre-ordered Far Cry 5 like a total idiot which included some of the alien/sci-fi DLC. That stuff filtered into the main campaign and so my sherrif rolled around loving up hillbillies and cultists with ridiculously over powered laser guns. That sort of broke the game in both the super thin suspension of disbelief /[AND]/ the the fact that I had no desire to use other weapons. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The real reason you should oppose Hideo Kojima casting all his actor friends in the game is that Norman Reedus is a really bad actor.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

The real reason you should oppose Hideo Kojima casting all his actor friends in the game is that Norman Reedus is a really bad actor.

The hype cycle for this game was weird because Norman Reedus literally didn't even exist before Kojima revealed he was going be in Death Stranding at which point he suddenly became every nerd's all time favorite actor for a hot second.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
He was already a well-liked character in a popular TV show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The hype cycle for this game was weird because Norman Reedus literally didn't even exist before Kojima revealed he was going be in Death Stranding at which point he suddenly became every nerd's all time favorite actor for a hot second.

I'm pretty sure the Walking Dead was more important in that regard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Were you alive in the early 2000s? Because every single college aged male knew him from Boondock Saints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
In fact I’m pretty sure it was the other way around and the hype cycle was because he was teaming up with Norman Reedus (or more specifically because of PT where he was going to team up with Reedus and Guillermo Del Toro)