Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got a long drive ahead of me tomorrow (by my standards anyway, 2 hours) so I picked up the 1st Verus book in audiobook format based on reading about it here. So far it seems interesting, lol at the Dresden callout.

I keep getting the universes and books people talk about in the threads mixed up so I am not sure if the Verus books are sex heavy or not, might be thinking of another series. I am not getting that impression so far anyway, hope it stays that way.

Verus books are not sex heavy at all, no.

Also they pretty drastically begin to change tones with the third or so book so the first book isn't the best indicator of if you will like it. It's important to the plot and all but just be prepared for it to be less Savescumming Dresden and more Everything Is Awful For Alex Verus In Particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

To be fair it never completely stops being Savescumming Dresden.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Except that Verus is decidedly less scummy than Dresden.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m going with Maeve, because she’s waaaay too nice for Titania. But I’m now super curious about Stacey’s kids after this past book because October was going along a very concerning “this doesn’t make sense” line and then it just completely slips away! Thats also adding that between the return of the Roan and Karen and Cassandra we’re getting a big ole return of future tellers/seers to Faerie.

The Simon Torquill wrapup for this book is pretty sweet too.

Simon's divorce/marrying into a throuple made me laugh. I am wondering what Sylvester will do. Since I guess he is now a citizen of the Undersea now. I donno how hard charging him would be now.

Also, this book made me interested in August and what will happen to her now that she has left Amandine. I'm also interested in a woken up not crazy Raseline. Working for October for year, do you think that would make her squire number 3? Toby keeps saying she is done collecting teenagers but we all know that is a lie. While Raseline isn't a teen, experience wise she kinda is. Also Luna's gonna be pissed.

Anyway, as far as earlier plot things, I think April is kinda conclude since January was brought back in a short, Simon is kinda concluded with his trouple marriage. Raseline's mentle health/recovery and Luna's wrath seem to be the earliest book plots that need some closure.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Jazz and May are gonna break up. :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KellHound posted:

Also Luna's gonna be pissed.

Luna can get hosed as far as I'm concerned. I mean I get she's pissed and I even get why, but to freeze Toby out of the family after everything Toby has done and sacrificed for her and Simon...

She just infuriates me right now.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Proteus Jones posted:

Luna can get hosed as far as I'm concerned. I mean I get she's pissed and I even get why, but to freeze Toby out of the family after everything Toby has done and sacrificed for her and Simon...

She just infuriates me right now.

Same. Same

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Verus books are not sex heavy at all, no.

Also they pretty drastically begin to change tones with the third or so book so the first book isn't the best indicator of if you will like it. It's important to the plot and all but just be prepared for it to be less Savescumming Dresden and more Everything Is Awful For Alex Verus In Particular.

Oh man, I've been going back through the books and I totally forgot how infuriating the EIAFAVIP stuff can get. The books are pretty consistently good, but holy poo poo. Like, I just finished Burned, and the fact that Richard's entire plan is to have a light mage go "Yeah, I can't tell you what this keeper auxiliary did but I think he should be sentenced to death" and get it ratified on the spot is insane. It'd be better if more of the Light dudes just kinda shrugged and went "Yeah this is hosed, but what can you do?", but the one-two punch of "Jimmy the wizard senator from Idaho said so" being sufficient grounds for an execution and frigging Caldera and Sonder being all "Harry, stop making trouble and just go along with your execution, maybe justice will be served and they'll change their minds" was really aggravating to read.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

KellHound posted:

Same. Same

Everyone in that goddamn family needs therapy YESTERDAY.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

DreamingofRoses posted:

Everyone in that goddamn family reality needs therapy YESTERDAY.

I keep hoping Toby comes across a fae therapist.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omi no Kami posted:

Oh man, I've been going back through the books and I totally forgot how infuriating the EIAFAVIP stuff can get. The books are pretty consistently good, but holy poo poo. Like, I just finished Burned, and the fact that Richard's entire plan is to have a light mage go "Yeah, I can't tell you what this keeper auxiliary did but I think he should be sentenced to death" and get it ratified on the spot is insane. It'd be better if more of the Light dudes just kinda shrugged and went "Yeah this is hosed, but what can you do?", but the one-two punch of "Jimmy the wizard senator from Idaho said so" being sufficient grounds for an execution and frigging Caldera and Sonder being all "Harry, stop making trouble and just go along with your execution, maybe justice will be served and they'll change their minds" was really aggravating to read.

"Harry?" I assume you means Alex. Figure Harry Dresden would be considered a "Dark Wizard" in the Verus series. And by this point would most likely have nuked the Light Council already.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Everyone posted:

"Harry?" I assume you means Alex. Figure Harry Dresden would be considered a "Dark Wizard" in the Verus series. And by this point would most likely have nuked the Light Council already.

Whoops yeah, Alex... the Verus books are much better, but somehow in my head they're filed away as Dresden: No Weird Sex poo poo Edition.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Omi no Kami posted:

Whoops yeah, Alex... the Verus books are much better, but somehow in my head they're filed away as Dresden: No Weird Sex poo poo Edition.

That's understandable. You can pretty clearly see the influences of Dresden Files on the Verus series, though Jacka has also very obviously made it his own thing.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Meanwhile I finished up Fallen and had more fun than not while reading through the series, although it was a little disappointing that the big Rachel/Deleo prophecy was just "Make fun of the crazy person until she shoots a dehydration laser at you".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I like Verus but I've had enough Anne to last a lifetime.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Spider-mom and Mcdonalds Mage are the true heroes of the alex verus cinematic universe.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I restarted the Daniel Faust books last week and I've binged through the first four since then. There's a big jump in quality after the first one, once it shifts from "it's another urban fantasy book" to being about doing cons and heists and poo poo. I love it so much I'm almost hesitant to read the Harmony Black books

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Omi no Kami posted:

Spider-mom and Mcdonalds Mage are the true heroes of the alex verus cinematic universe.

Spider-mom returned to her home planet and McDonald's Mage got hurt badly in the previous book, IIRC.

Beachcomber posted:

I like Verus but I've had enough Anne to last a lifetime.

Good news! She's probably going to get killed in the next book or two, unless Verus does some severe bullshit with the Fate Weaver.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Spider-mom returned to her home planet and McDonald's Mage got hurt badly in the previous book, IIRC.

Good news! She's probably going to get killed in the next book or two, unless Verus does some severe bullshit with the Fate Weaver.

Yeah... I think Cinder's fine though? If I recall he got banged up off-screen before the book started but didn't participate in the gib factory, so all's good-ish in the universe.

But yeah, as far as Anne goes I remember the prophecy was that either Verus lives or Anne lives... and I was totally A-OK with that trade until they added that Vari would die too, and ehh- he's a pretty okay guy, even if he is an rear end in a top hat.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I don't know who Mcdonalds Mage is, despite reading all the Verus books.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Darkrenown posted:

Cinder arranges meets with Verus in a McDonalds...twice? Maaaaybe three times.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Darkrenown posted:

Drone Jett posted:

Cinder arranges meets with Verus in a McDonalds...twice? Maaaaybe three times.

It's not just any McDonald's but that specific one. Verus questions Cinder about it and doesn't get a straight answer. Cinder thinks that specific one has good fries or something.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Huh, so he does. Cinder's fun when he teams up with Alex.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As someone who drives a lot for work and ends up eating more fast food than he should, there are definitely better or worse McDonalds. I know of one McDonalds that seasons the burgers better than most but their fries are poo poo, another that does the fries right but the burger is only okay, and one that seems to either be a test bed or is owned by a very experimental franchisee and has stuff on the menu that no one else does. As far as I know, however, there's no such thing as a perfect McDonalds. :shrug:

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dumper Humper posted:

I restarted the Daniel Faust books last week and I've binged through the first four since then. There's a big jump in quality after the first one, once it shifts from "it's another urban fantasy book" to being about doing cons and heists and poo poo. I love it so much I'm almost hesitant to read the Harmony Black books

The Harmony Black books also get a lot better once the publisher stops meddling. And the Wisdom's Grave trilogy is better still.

I keep meaning to do a proper reread actually following the reading order, I think I'll have to do it before the next one comes out.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wisdom's Grave hits harder if you've read The Revanche Cycle first.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Everyone posted:

It seems like Dresden got most of his formal combat training under Justin DuMore. McCoy seemed focused on teaching him self-control and restraint. And the rest he kind of picked up here and there on his own or with Bob's help. He's a Warden who was never actually trained as a Warden but through surviving a bunch of ridiculous stuff long enough to become kind of a badass.

So figure a lot of formal training in combat magic involves rationing your energy and using it efficiently so you don't blow your wad nuking five monster when, oppsie, ten more show up when you're about to pass out.

Harry's always going on how JDM was training him to be his personal attack wizard though, including if memory serves, in this one.

You'd think he should have been trained by him in proper technique and conservation of power as a key part of JDM's training him for that role though.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
To be fair, I think he mentioned he was trained more as a magical thug which is where shock and awe really shines. He's not necessarily meant to take on complex engagements, just bash someone's head in.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Harry's always going on how JDM was training him to be his personal attack wizard though, including if memory serves, in this one.

You'd think he should have been trained by him in proper technique and conservation of power as a key part of JDM's training him for that role though.

He was probably waiting until after the brainwashing was complete before he trained him in actual combat magic. Training him beforehand could have been counterproductive.

Also I feel like Dresden probably picked up a lot from Eb. If you look at how they fight, it's really very similar. They block with enchanted clothing or magical barriers. They attack with either straightforward blasts of force or with long slow AOE attacks that wreck the battlefield(Dresden's gravity amplifier in Changes, Eb half-burying the fire giants.). Eb's a lot more controlled and precise than Dresden, but you can definitely see who Dresden's modeling himself after.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

RosaParksOfDip posted:

To be fair, I think he mentioned he was trained more as a magical thug which is where shock and awe really shines. He's not necessarily meant to take on complex engagements, just bash someone's head in.

And thugs are generally meant ti be somewhat expendable. So, either Harry one-shots whatever Justin sends hi after or he fails and gets killed and Justin go finds another thug.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That analogy doesn't work though.

Being a wizard requires an apparently extremely rare magical talent and years of training.

An expendable thug wizard would be a colossal waste of time and resources that would be extremely hard to replace.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Is it established how much time passes between Harry's bout with He-Who-Walks-Behind and when he kills Justin? I got the impression that the two events were on the same day, and Harry had barely mastered Fuego when he used it to blow up a gas station and banish the Walker. So he was probably super early in the training at that point. We know he did some work with shields, but they probably hadn't gotten to attack spells yet.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Gnoman posted:

Is it established how much time passes between Harry's bout with He-Who-Walks-Behind and when he kills Justin? I got the impression that the two events were on the same day, and Harry had barely mastered Fuego when he used it to blow up a gas station and banish the Walker. So he was probably super early in the training at that point. We know he did some work with shields, but they probably hadn't gotten to attack spells yet.

I think they were right after the other, since he went back for Elaine only to find out she was already controlled.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Deptfordx posted:

That analogy doesn't work though.

Being a wizard requires an apparently extremely rare magical talent and years of training.

An expendable thug wizard would be a colossal waste of time and resources that would be extremely hard to replace.

True. On the other hand, if you're at all familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, there's a magic item called an Arrow of Slaying. Usually it's an Arrrow of "X" Slaying where X is something like Human, Elf, Giant, Dragon, etc. If one of these beings gets hit by the Arrow, it dies and the Arrow's magic is gone. If you want to kill something else that way you have to find/make another Arrow of Slaying.

Maybe Harry was going to be Justin's "Arrow." Yes, it's a considerable investment of time to make an Arrow, but the Arrow is still ultimately expendable due to its nature.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

is there a short story or flashback I'm missing of how Harry offed Justin (or why?) It's been forever since I've read those early books and he doesn't get mentioned as much lately.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

hatelull posted:

is there a short story or flashback I'm missing of how Harry offed Justin (or why?) It's been forever since I've read those early books and he doesn't get mentioned as much lately.

IIRC in Ghost Story, there are flashbacks. Harry tells the story to Lea and we get to see what happened.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

hatelull posted:

All of the details are gone into in the Ghost Story novel that everybody dislikes for some reason (even though it's probably the best novel in a long time in the series for world-building-related stuff).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Is that the one where it turns out one of the loser magic side characters Harry ran into early in the series is actually the greatest necromancer on Earth and commands an entire army of ghosts and they have a war in the Nevernever with Mavra? Cus there's a reason why nobody likes it and its cus that's loving stupid.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

What novella are you talking about? I read through all of them (and all the mini ones on Jim's website) in the run up to Peace Talks and I don't remember that at all.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

hatelull posted:

Ghost Story has the first part. Harry goes home from school early looking for Elaine, Elaine looks out of it, Justin gives Harry bad vibes and then throws a spell at him when he's trying to run away. Later Harry holds up a gas station for money, He Who Walks Behind appears and fights with Harry, Harry blows up the gas station to defeat HWWB. (At the time Harry assumed Justin sent HWWB after him and Harry defeated it. Looking back on it though he suspects HWWB wasn't connected to Justin and was just toying with him to assess his powers).

That's as far as we've gotten though. We know that after this Harry has his first meeting with Lea, he makes some sort of pact with her for power and protection, then he returns home and kills Justin and burns down the house. We haven't gotten those specific scenes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Gologle posted:

Is that the one where it turns out one of the loser magic side characters Harry ran into early in the series is actually the greatest necromancer on Earth and commands an entire army of ghosts and they have a war in the Nevernever with Mavra? Cus there's a reason why nobody likes it and its cus that's loving stupid.

Yeah, this half remembered version does sound pretty stupid. Mavra isn't even in Ghost Story.