Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Ridcully did actually talk to birds though. Usually he said "Winged yer, ya bastard!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Also, I feel like being able to create a condiment that can raise the dead is pretty royal.

(Wow-wow sauce is a hell of a drug)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ridcully is to the wizards of Unseen University as Zoss was to the 777,777 jerks with keys

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've been rereading Discworld lately and I can't wait to get to Ridcully, such a fun character

I'm currently at Sourcery, which now that I think about it have some vague parallels with Allison's arrival in Throne, except with more immediate competence and intent.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
If we're on the subject of Discworld we can't go without mentioning Cohen the Barbarian, an adventuring swordsman so successful he survived long past being too old to carry on with it but no good at anything else enough to retire.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gnome de plume posted:

If we're on the subject of Discworld we can't go without mentioning Cohen the Barbarian, an adventuring swordsman so successful he survived long past being too old to carry on with it but no good at anything else enough to retire.

Every single member of the Silver Horde is Royalty.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are there any parallels between Royalty and Discworld witchcraft? I remember one of the books boiling it down to having complete certainty in an uncertain universe, ie looking at a man and believing he's a frog so hard that the universe gives up and agrees with you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's also Carrot, who became Royalty by refusing to become royalty.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
And then there's Granny Weatherwax, whose main schtick is "If I went evil I'd be the nastiest supervillain ever but no I have to be a Good Person and do it all the hard way because I'm so principled and I kinda hate it."

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ridcully wasn’t Royalty, but Bloody Stupid Johnson definitely was.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

pseudorandom name posted:

Oh man, he's so far along the path to Royalty he's out in like Ronkonkoma.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Gnome de plume posted:

Cohen is like the anti Meti, master of not getting cut.

Granny Weatherwax isn't Royalty, but only because being Royal is clearly a waste of time that only morons would want. She definitely could if she wanted, she's just busy doing things that are actually important.

Lu Tze seems capable of Royalty and very clearly has mastered Ki-rata.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Lemony posted:

Granny Weatherwax isn't Royalty, but only because being Royal is clearly a waste of time that only morons would want. She definitely could if she wanted, she's just busy doing things that are actually important.

Ironically, this would make her Royalty.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

skaianDestiny posted:

Granny Weatherwax is nothing but a continuous cutting motion everywhere she goes. You can't get more Royal.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

feeling like I should at some point read more than just the Watch and Death books

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

skaianDestiny posted:

That sounds about right. She'd probably call you an idiot if you tried to argue the point with her though. I figure she and Meti would have got on like a house on fire.

I have a deep fondness of the scene where she plays cards with Death for the life of a baby.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lemony posted:

That sounds about right. She'd probably call you an idiot if you tried to argue the point with her though. I figure she and Meti would have got on like a house on fire.

I have a deep fondness of the scene where she plays cards with Death for the life of a baby.

Agreed on all counts.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

There's also Carrot, who became Royalty by refusing to become royalty.

Carrot has a keen understanding that a King is supposed to be protector, servant, and peacekeeper for their people, and they don't need to put on airs to do it.

Carrot is also an inherently good person. One bit that sticks with me is Vimes' observation that, if your life is ever at someone's mercy, you should hope that is an evil person, because an evil person will gloat and savor that position. A good person, like Carrot, will simply kill you.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Carrot also always has an air of the uncanny. He’s a very literally impossibly good person, a cop who isn’t a bastard, and that requires the universe to bend around him. Everyone is very glad he’s not ambitious enough to aim for the throne.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemony posted:

And Death throws the game because would you really like to see what happens if you win against Granny Weatherwax?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pseudorandom name posted:

How could I forget Blood Stupid Johnson.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I mean, what's there to aim for? He is the King of Ankh-Morpork and everyone kind of knows it without articulating it. He doesn't have to prove anything, at least to his kingdom.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And Death throws the game because would you really like to see what happens if you win against Granny Weatherwax?

quote:

MISTRESS WEATHERWAX? said Death from the doorway.
'Yes, sir?'
I HAVE TO KNOW. WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF I HAD NOT ... LOST?
'At the cards, you mean?'
YES. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE?
'Well,' she said, 'for a start ... I'd have broken your bloody arm.'

I looked up a number of quotes from her scenes to find that, they pretty much would all fit right in to KSBD, which is probably a testament to how well the setting of the comic is written. Granny definitely understands Royalty.

Seriously, if you haven't read it before you should look up her bit on Right and Wrong. Fits perfectly into the setting.

Lemony fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 21, 2020

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quote:

"Granny Weatherwax looked out at the multi-layered, silvery world.
“Where am I?”
INSIDE THE MIRROR.
“Am I dead?”
THE ANSWER TO THAT, said Death, IS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN NO AND YES.
Esme turned, and a billion figures turned with her.
“When can I get out?”
WHEN YOU FIND THE ONE THAT’S REAL.
“Is this a trick question?”
NO.
Granny looked down at herself.
“This one,” she said.”

quote:

“Most people, on waking up, accelerate through a quick panicky pre-consciousness check-up: who am I, where am I, who is he/she, good god, why am I cuddling a policeman's helmet, what happened last night?
And this is because people are riddled by Doubt. It is the engine that drives them through their lives. It is the elastic band in the little model aeroplane of their soul, and they spend their time winding it up until it knots. Early morning is the worst time -there's that little moment of panic in case You have drifted away in the night and something else has moved in. This never happened to Granny Weatherwax. She went straight from asleep to instant operation on all six cylinders. She never needed to find herself because she always knew who was doing the looking.”

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

IMJack posted:

I mean, what's there to aim for? He is the King of Ankh-Morpork and everyone kind of knows it without articulating it. He doesn't have to prove anything, at least to his kingdom.

He's really not. His image of an ideal society is not being enacted in Ankh-Morpork, at least not at any speed faster than a leisurely stroll, and he personally dislikes Vetinari. Carrot absolutely could do far more than he does, if he had more power - it's not a matter of proving, it's a matter of Carrot's ideals. He absolutely could sweep away the frankly atrocious mess of governance and separate the wicked from the just, and some part of him wants to do that. But he's been convinced that that's not actually going to end up with good results, though mostly as a result of imprinting on Vimes and respect for the law (even the extremely dumb law) than because he's sat down and decided anything.

Carrot could be Solomon David (with less spine-pulping), but decided not to be because he ended up not being particularly monarchist, since Vimes had a salutatory effect on him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemony posted:

Screams, flames, people running for shelter?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Vimes, of course, can't be Royalty because there's is literally nothing he hates more than kings.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So all these names are from discworld?

Does anyone know how the audiobooks are?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

:effort:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Donkringel posted:

No firsthand experience but I know a few people who have been listening through them this year and they seem to approve.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Vimes, of course, can't be Royalty because there's is literally nothing he hates more than kings.

He is, of course, a duke. A title which can only be granted by the King of Ankh, who, as we've already discussed, is Vimes' 2nd-in-command.

(I always figured Vimes either suspects or knows about Carrot and he's ignoring it as hard as he bloody can, because, after all, Carrot's not ruling the city, he's just a drat good copper.)

IMJack posted:

One bit that sticks with me is Vimes' observation that, if your life is ever at someone's mercy, you should hope that is an evil person, because an evil person will gloat and savor that position. A good person, like Carrot, will simply kill you.

That was a great line at the time, but I've seen it posted around the internet by people who seem to believe that just because you think you would kill someone without gloating, that means you're a good person. The kind of people who would later unironically post Gamer Joker poo poo. So it's tough for me to take it seriously out of context.

fe: A detail I've always loved from Men At Arms, completely divorced from the whole Royalty discussion, is that Vimes' watch plays the same music-box tune as the two watches from the standoff in A Few Dollars More. Cling, bing, a-bing, bong...

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Donkringel posted:

I liked the Stephen Briggs ones a lot.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Vimes definitely knows Carrot is the obvious true heir to the city and is genuinely concerned he'd have to go Old Stoneface on him if it came to that. Thankfully, it never will, and it's been clear for a while that it won't so Vimes can worry about other things.

Vimes comes from an extremely prestigious lineage himself, in terms of regicides.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Donkringel posted:

The older books are mostly read by Nigel Planer, and he's fine.
The more recent ones are mostly read by Stephen Briggs, and I like him a lot more.

As a whole, I think the Discworld audiobooks are a great way to experience the series (aside from a few things where Pratchett used typography and layout very deliberately, like in Reaper Man where an entire page was filled by a single word).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I've always wondered how the many many footnotes are handled in the audio books

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Joe Slowboat posted:

Vimes comes from an extremely prestigious lineage himself, in terms of regicides.

To be fair, while he could never be Royalty, his unswerving dedication to regicide is pretty Royal in and of itself. If you meet god on the road and so forth.

On the other hand, his self loathing and feeling of being a class traitor definitely would prevent him achieving Royalty even if he didn't hate kings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On a side note... I actually like the punk-rock style they've taken with the upcoming TV series of The Watch. It's trying to be its own thing rather than cribbing direct from the books verbatim, and I'm hoping it turns out fun.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a side note... I actually like the punk-rock style they've taken with the upcoming TV series of The Watch. It's trying to be its own thing rather than cribbing direct from the books verbatim, and I'm hoping it turns out fun.

Yeah but they took out Fred Colon and Nobby Nobbs entirely

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand, it's the kind of adaptation butchery that Terry Pratchett would have hated. On the other hand, if you are going to completely change it up there are worse directions to go than radically inclusive punk rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm torn. On the one hand, it's the kind of adaptation butchery that Terry Pratchett would have hated. On the other hand, if you are going to completely change it up there are worse directions to go than radically inclusive punk rock.

I'm generally on the same side regarding adaption butchery (I despise the Altered Carbon TV adaption for a looot of reasons), but at a glance with the trailer it looks like in this case they seem to know what they're changing and why they're doing it, rather than swapping things out arbitrarily. It's definitely gonna be its own thing, but it's not a bad direction for a TV show and it at least looks like it'll be internally cohesive.