Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The 2060 is definitely still a pretty solid graphics card if you're not given to playing games in 4K resolutions a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

explosivo posted:

It's definitely a bit overkill for playing Among Us :v:

Honk if you have seen this: someone spends a grand building/buying a monster rig and then uses it to play toaster games like Minecraft, Among Us, CS:GO, and Rocket League.

"But 144Hz in CS:GO!"

"You forgot to spend half a grand on a screen, too"

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this sort of thing and it's kind of hilarious. When getting into PC gaming, a lot of people, if they have the money, will spend way too much on something they aren't going to fully use.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 21, 2020

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Oh hey a big tabletop sale kicked off today. Has anyone tried Popup Dungeon? It looks charming.

I don't know popup dungeon but there are some cool games on sale.

Iratus is 40% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/807120/Iratus_Lord_of_the_Dead/. In my opinion it's also vastly superior to darkest dungeon, but opinions differ of course.
Slay the Spire is 50% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/. For the few people who have not yet played it. (If you haven't, you should.)
Monster Train is 25% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/1102190/Monster_Train/. A very good evolution of the ideas of slay the spire.
Trials of fire is also 25% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038370/Trials_of_Fire/. I just noticed it's in my top 10 of most played games, even though it's still in early access.

Any other cool/similar games you guys would recommend?

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ilhan Omar posted her PC specs. What's this build like? Low-end, medium-end, what?

Solid medium build, minus the RAM + storage which is more than I figure most go for.

Saoshyant posted:

Honk if you have seen this: someone spends a grand building/buying a monster rig and then uses it to play toaster games like Minecraft, Among Us, CS:GO, and Rocket League.

I got to use one of my parent's 4K screens from work for Minecraft back in 2015 and it ran flawlessly even then, on a 2012-era machine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Saoshyant posted:

"But 144Khz in CS:GO!"

I can't tell you how many times I've seen this sort of thing and it's kind of hilarious. When getting into PC gaming, a lot of people, if they have the money, will spend way too much on something they aren't going to fully use.

yes I've looked in a mirror ty

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Saoshyant posted:

"But 144Khz in CS:GO!"

I agree with you but I think this was a case of them putting out a call to get systems for them to do this with basically the day of according to AOC. I think they probably gave some kid a wad of money to get a system the same day and this is what they got.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

explosivo posted:

I agree with you but I think this was a case of them putting out a call to get systems for them to do this with basically the day of according to AOC. I think they probably gave some kid a wad of money to get a system the same day and this is what they got.

Oh, I wasn't even talking about this specific case, just an observation I keep noticing. Which is fine. People can do whatever they want, but I think most of them don't realize they could do it for less money.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Someone in another thread said the gobs of ram and lots of fast storage pointed towards video editing.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Walh Hara posted:

I don't know popup dungeon but there are some cool games on sale.

Iratus is 40% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/807120/Iratus_Lord_of_the_Dead/. In my opinion it's also vastly superior to darkest dungeon, but opinions differ of course.
Slay the Spire is 50% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/. For the few people who have not yet played it. (If you haven't, you should.)
Monster Train is 25% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/1102190/Monster_Train/. A very good evolution of the ideas of slay the spire.
Trials of fire is also 25% off https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038370/Trials_of_Fire/. I just noticed it's in my top 10 of most played games, even though it's still in early access.

Any other cool/similar games you guys would recommend?

Is Griftlands fun yet? I remember reading here that it wasn't quite finished cooking yet.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

tight aspirations posted:

Someone in another thread said the gobs of ram and lots of fast storage pointed towards video editing.

Yeah it belongs to one of her staffers.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

tight aspirations posted:

Oh, yep, that makes sense. I guess the new i7 does well enough to warrant getting that over the much pricier i9, too.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
Yeah the ssd main + 6 tb ssd storage is the eyepop.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
The squad got me looking at my PC like I'm a proud boy eyeing protestors

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

I'm no expert, but the GPU seems kinda wimpy for all the other stuff in there (it's still better than what I have)

there was a tweet from someone who was apparently the rig's owner as well as omar's deputy comms chief, so it is probably the video editing terminal for omar's campaign

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

I'm no expert, but the GPU seems kinda wimpy for all the other stuff in there (it's still better than what I have)

It's apparently her comm director's PC, which also explains why it has an insanely big SSD

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/ForkParker/status/1318960371064066049

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone have experience with Mordheim: City of the Damned? It's 75% off on steam ($5).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Anyone have experience with Mordheim: City of the Damned? It's 75% off on steam ($5).

Mordheim is an extremely neat and extremely punishing squad tactics game that I would not recommend to the vast majority of people. Playing through a campaign of it your time is primarily spent losing units and very slowly exploring maps. If ultrabrutal, high attrition melee and some ranged squad tactics sounds like your jam, give it a try at least. You will very definitely be sure if you want to refund it or not within the two hour window.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

My buddy who only really plays dota loved it and put 200 hours into it but he's also a massive warhammer fan

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My buddy who only really plays dota loved it and put 200 hours into it but he's also a massive warhammer fan

I guess I should also say I have over a hundred hours in Battle Brothers and 50+ hours in Gloomhaven already.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I guess I should also say I have over a hundred hours in Battle Brothers and 50+ hours in Gloomhaven already.

Same vibe, plays very differently to either.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Might as well get Bloodbowl 2 instead.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Sam 4 was such a huge success on Stadia that Croteam had to sell the studio.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I hope that’s a good thing in the end.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Serious Sam 4 was such a huge success on Stadia that Croteam had to sell the studio.

God I wish the Stadia thread was open, even if it's just for the Cyberpunk launch.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mordja posted:

If you like seeing hard rods forcefully inserted into tight orifices as much as I do, there's a new SCORN video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grwdMemV1o

A shooter but everything is made of meat is right, looks dull. :(

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

I always felt that even more than the difficulty, which is pretty punishing, the biggest problem Darkest Dungeon has is how much of an unrelenting slog it is. The game is an incredible grind. You will go through ever-similar random dungeons over and over again for tiny gains, but at the same time you can't ever afford to pay it less than your full attention because tiny mistakes can and will cause catastrophic failures that set you back entire in-game months. You can have something difficult and punishing or you can have something over-long and repetitive, but having both at the same time just made it into a game I do not enjoy without extensively modding it to my own tastes first.
The issue here is that tiny failures causing catastrophes is the fundamental thing that makes the game compelling. The game is really good at getting its hooks into you regarding attachment to your characters at least for a while. Once you develop a layer of detachment the only real cost to losing a character is the time it takes to grind up a replacement. I loved the game when it was fresh to me but after playing it to ground I have no interest in a sequel. Would be interested in seeing anything else from the team/studio, though.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I got my fill of that game when it was shown during that Xbox reveal thing this summer. I'm fine with not seeing more oozing wall penises ever again, thanks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreeKillB posted:

The issue here is that tiny failures causing catastrophes is the fundamental thing that makes the game compelling. The game is really good at getting its hooks into you regarding attachment to your characters at least for a while. Once you develop a layer of detachment the only real cost to losing a character is the time it takes to grind up a replacement. I loved the game when it was fresh to me but after playing it to ground I have no interest in a sequel. Would be interested in seeing anything else from the team/studio, though.

There's are limit o that, and Darkest Dungeon really gets way past those. Specifically the mechanic where your heroes refuse to take part in crawls below their level is something that exists only to make the game more grindy, and it's no fun.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

steinrokkan posted:

Specifically the mechanic where your heroes refuse to take part in crawls below their level is something that exists only to make the game more grindy, and it's no fun.
that sounds like a case of devs trying to save players from themselves. if the "optimal" strategy is to do super boring low level grinds with a team that cant lose players will definitely do it and then complain that the game "forces" it on them.

similar to the issue i have with hades now where i unlocked life/gold from vases and now i feel like i need to break every vase in every room when i need a heal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Awesome! posted:

that sounds like a case of devs trying to save players from themselves. if the "optimal" strategy is to do super boring low level grinds with a team that cant lose players will definitely do it and then complain that the game "forces" it on them.

similar to the issue i have with hades now where i unlocked life/gold from vases and now i feel like i need to break every vase in every room when i need a heal.

In practice it means if you need a specific resource, or if you need to reinforce your team, you need to grind from bottom up all over again... It stopped being fun way before I reached the final dungeon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Awesome! posted:

Yeah - I had to turn on the time limit to create a counterbalance to that. I don't think there's any more magical mechanic than time limits. You can take the most boring poo poo in the world and it can become fun with an aggressive enough time limit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

FreeKillB posted:

The issue here is that tiny failures causing catastrophes is the fundamental thing that makes the game compelling. The game is really good at getting its hooks into you regarding attachment to your characters at least for a while.
I suppose so, yes. I have only so much patience, though, and the thing about that sort of intensity is that you get numb to it eventually. Once you've gone through enough characters to stop caring about them as anything other than warm bodies to throw at a problem, the entire thing becomes a chore rather than being compelling anymore. The game is really just way too long and too slow for what it is trying to be.

steinrokkan posted:

There's are limit o that, and Darkest Dungeon really gets way past those. Specifically the mechanic where your heroes refuse to take part in crawls below their level is something that exists only to make the game more grindy, and it's no fun.
I really agree.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is Endless Space 2 worth picking up? Looking at the reviews, it mentioned that the latest (and what sounds to be final) patch has issues.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Is Endless Space 2 worth picking up? Looking at the reviews, it mentioned that the latest (and what sounds to be final) patch has issues.
It really, really depends on what you want from a 4X game. Personally, I really do not like the series. It's very stylish in terms of how it's designed, but at the same time it also feels overstylized. There's not a lot of real interactivity or depth to what the game allows you to do. If you're like me and the first real experience you had with 4X games was the Space Empires series, where exploding a sun, re-assembling the resulting nebula into a new star and building your own ringworld around it from the remaining asteroid fields are entirely feasible in-game strategies, Endless Space feels kind of... small. Very game-y rather than the kind of simulationist empire-building experience I like to see from a 4X.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Max Wilco posted:

I don’t know why but every time I try to play it my brain slides right off of it. I play plenty of games like it, I have like 100 hours in the original, but for some reason I cannot retain a single thing about how to actually engage with the game.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Awesome! posted:

The gold carrying urns are always a different color than the normal ones, and the extra life on urn break is only if you have her trinket equipped, which usually isn't the best option. Her trinket does slow down the game, though, you're right.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Yes but don't buy the last expansion cause that one is universally recognized as garbo. The "final" patch was the last patch of a series of rehauls they made, not necessarily the last patch ever (although it could be but who knows).

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

About the Croteam sale and announcement, what would a Talos Principle 2 even entail story wise? The first gane told a pretty complete story. It would have to be a prequel by nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Max Wilco posted:

The base game is fine/good. It's a solid contender in the most recent batch of 4X games, some DLCs (all of which try to be transformative) are a very big swing and miss and can be disabled. If someone's talking about how game foo is a better 4X, they're usually referring to a game that a literal-human-generation old and probably unpalatable for modern audiences.

For context of my opinion: I think Endless Legend is brilliant, Civ6 ok, Stellaris a rip-off, StarControl2 timeless, and couldn't get into GalCiv2 when I tried to install it this year.