Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The 10 year anniversary being yesterday got me to reinstall, and I've been following the Viva New Vegas guide. I just finished the visuals section and am doing a little testing when I noticed something rather annoying:

That blue glow is applied to a bunch of objects in the world and I have no idea what's causing it. It's especially prominent on glass bottles and metal objects, so maybe it's related to lighting? Any ideas?

EDIT: It was realistic wasteland lightning. I disabled it and the problem went away. Oh well.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Another thing for folks using Viva New Vegas: Something's buggy with the incremental autosaves option in the IStewieAI Tweaks ini. It worked fine at first, but twenty-ish hours in, my game was freezing up for 10 seconds at a time when autosaving. Eventually, it was just locking up FNV entirely.

I don't think it's a save bloat issue because when I disabled the tweak, the freezing-during-saves disappeared.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 20, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1318676192266915843

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can't wait for rope kids new fallout game

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea this game turned 10 the other day, but I started a new run on a whim. I've got the anti-stutter patch, some perk mods, a UI tweak, and that popular weapon modding.. Mod.

So far its running better than ever and I'm enjoying this well enough. Going fist weapons and maybe I'll just becoming a murderous lunatic and side with the bad guys.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1318676514670473216?s=20

e;
https://twitter.com/QQQQO/status/1318678829284552704?s=20

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

gonna enjoy the first hour of that stream where the game keeps crashing

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah even if he doesn't want the content from VNV someone should recommend he just does Core for the performance/stability improvements. Plus things like real recoil and weapon inertia, because I remember rope kid saying they were things he'd fit in with more time on the game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm betting he's already got thousands of people telling him exactly what modlist he should be using

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Giga Gaia posted:

my current playthrough is just YUP and ultimate jsawyer and thats been no crashing

it runs fine

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Giga Gaia posted:

I installed that, NVSE, and NVTF and played for an hour and it was fine.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

my playthrough with the above is about 30 hours in with no crashes so far

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rope kid posted:

Where's a good place to download jsawyer.esp without getting Ultimate or whatever?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The link in the OP for "J.E. Sawyer's Overhaul" still works I think

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

This was me, lol

Edit: For actual content, I installed Viva New Vegas as closely to the instructions as possible, and while everything seemed to work properly, I was getting horrible pop-in with foliage added by Vurt's Flora Overhaul. Like, I'll walk 20 feet away from the Prospector Saloon, then when I go slightly further away a massive tree will pop into existence out of nowhere fairly close by. Is this a common issue, or did I maybe screw something up during the LOD portion of the guide? I'm kind of leaning towards installing again, just without the visual enhancements.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 21, 2020

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

rope kid posted:

Happy late 10th birthday!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Phetz posted:

This was me, lol

Edit: For actual content, I installed Viva New Vegas as closely to the instructions as possible, and while everything seemed to work properly, I was getting horrible pop-in with foliage added by Vurt's Flora Overhaul. Like, I'll walk 20 feet away from the Prospector Saloon, then when I go slightly further away a massive tree will pop into existence out of nowhere fairly close by. Is this a common issue, or did I maybe screw something up during the LOD portion of the guide? I'm kind of leaning towards installing again, just without the visual enhancements.

I had this issue too, along with some other new buildings that got added. I followed the LOD generation to a T and I could not get it to work. I ended up just scrapping the whole install and went with a vanilla install and you know what? It's nice just installing a game and playing it instead of spending 3 days setting up mods.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Phetz posted:

Yeah, sounds like you messed up the LOD. If you didn't make any changes to the Terrain and Major Objects part of the guide, you can just download and install the pregenerated LOD he links to, should work out just fine.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 21, 2020

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Upmarket Mango posted:

It's nice just installing a game and playing it instead of spending 3 days setting up mods.

mods???

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Upmarket Mango posted:

I had this issue too, along with some other new buildings that got added. I followed the LOD generation to a T and I could not get it to work. I ended up just scrapping the whole install and went with a vanilla install and you know what? It's nice just installing a game and playing it instead of spending 3 days setting up mods.

Yeah, that's kind of where my mind went right after I deleted everything again to start from scratch. I just gotta have my mods though :negative:

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, sounds like you messed up the LOD. If you didn't make any changes to the Terrain and Major Objects part of the guide, you can just download and install the pregenerated LOD he links to, should work out just fine.

I didn't make any changes to that section and used the pre-gen LOD to make everything as simple as possible to install :( I think it might be worth trying it out one more time and paying extra attention to that specific section.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Use XLodGen rather than FNVLodGen for starters. Same idea but more options and a larger atlas size.

Also bear in mind that WFO is a work in progress and Vurt hasn't finished all of the LOD models yet, hence some of the pop in.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Phetz posted:

I didn't make any changes to that section and used the pre-gen LOD to make everything as simple as possible to install :( I think it might be worth trying it out one more time and paying extra attention to that specific section.

Might be, just remember to keep all the LOD mods active like so:

(One thing I notice VNV does now is require that the esps are still ticked on even when you're not actively generating LOD; also make sure they're at the absolute bottom of the load order, etc.)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I would get reverse pop-in (pop-out?) shortly after loading the game, walking toward a plant making it disappear, but that seemed to resolve itself within a few minutes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Skwirl posted:

Where's a good place to download jsawyer.esp without getting Ultimate or whatever?
It's still in the original location here:

http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

rope kid was simply not a bad enough dude to, uh, *checks notes* give skill magazines weight

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The perk-style icon for Rex in JIP CCC is giving me life

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

rope kid posted:

It's still in the original location here:

http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip

It's very on brand of you to use FOMM instead of MO

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

bony tony posted:

It's very on brand of you to use FOMM instead of MO

FOMM starts up about 10x faster than MO so it makes sense for small mod installs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Upmarket Mango posted:

FOMM starts up about 10x faster than MO so it makes sense for small mod installs.

Small mod installs?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Agents are GO! posted:

Small mod installs?

Some people are weird. Who are we to judge?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This thread needs a new OP really badly explaining wtf is going on. I'll admit that post-Steam workshop I have very little interest in 2000's-era modding these days, and no offense meant, but little of the conversation ITT convinces me I should go back, even to play New Vegas. An OP with poo poo that's been true in the last five years would go a long way to fix that.

At one time I wanted to do this but then I realized that while I am subbed to this thread, 2015 is about the last time I loaded up New Vegas.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

This thread needs a new OP really badly explaining wtf is going on. I'll admit that post-Steam workshop I have very little interest in 2000's-era modding these days, and no offense meant, but little of the conversation ITT convinces me I should go back, even to play New Vegas. An OP with poo poo that's been true in the last five years would go a long way to fix that.

At one time I wanted to do this but then I realized that while I am subbed to this thread, 2015 is about the last time I loaded up New Vegas.

*in Darth Vader voice* This is your OP now

But no I agree, we are in desperate need of a new thread, even if the OP would mostly just be stealing from VNV

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What happened at Nexus that killed most of the links in the OP?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Electric Phantasm posted:

What happened at Nexus that killed most of the links in the OP?

They changed the format of the links with no redirecting. The modid is the same, so while https://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/40442 is broken, https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40442 points to the correct mod still.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The number at the end for every single mod is the same, so it's easy to find the mods in the broken links but it requires enough effort I understand why people just don't or can't.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

latest version of new vegas reloaded has shadows and they look pretty darn good. interior shadows are still a glitchy wip but those can be disabled separately. there's also an ingame menu to toggle and edit various shader effects including the shadows. no perceivable performance loss either.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
If people are following the VNV guide, I have some advice: at one point in the gameplay section, he suggests you install the VNV Followers Tweak mod. Don't install it. It makes it so that you can only have as many followers as half your charisma rounded down. Sounds fine, right? If you have 10 charisma, that means you can have 5 jerks following you.

Wrong. It means you can only recruit as many followers as half of your charisma rounded down. I had to pause my current run to rip it out of my mod list because Cass straight up refused to go with me because I already had ED-E, Rex, Arcade, Boone, and Veronica. Even if I sent someone back to the Lucky 38 she still refused to come with me. The gently caress kind of balance mod makes it so you have to pick and choose from between who you recruit?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bogart posted:

Some people are weird. Who are we to judge?

Too late, I already judged them.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

If people are following the VNV guide, I have some advice: at one point in the gameplay section, he suggests you install the VNV Followers Tweak mod. Don't install it. It makes it so that you can only have as many followers as half your charisma rounded down. Sounds fine, right? If you have 10 charisma, that means you can have 5 jerks following you.

Wrong. It means you can only recruit as many followers as half of your charisma rounded down. I had to pause my current run to rip it out of my mod list because Cass straight up refused to go with me because I already had ED-E, Rex, Arcade, Boone, and Veronica. Even if I sent someone back to the Lucky 38 she still refused to come with me. The gently caress kind of balance mod makes it so you have to pick and choose from between who you recruit?

Weird. I currently have Veronica, Arcade, ED-E, Rex, Lily, and Cass recruited, and I only have 5 CHR. The only problem I've had so far is, yeah, folks refusing to come along even when I meet the mod's "requirements" but the workaround I found for that is just to send everyone back to the Lucky 38, and then trying again. It's worked out so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea, same. I have everyone recruited and never had any issues.