Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
lol Kav, Alito, Gorsuch, and Thomas just tried to use Bush v. Gore as precedent to stop Pennsylvania from counting votes.

Pack the loving Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol Kav, Alito, Gorsuch, and Thomas just tried to use Bush v. Gore as precedent to stop Pennsylvania from counting votes.

Pack the loving Court.

https://twitter.com/_FleerUltra/status/1318349194751545344?s=19

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1318349017294737409?s=19

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I mean, I knew the concern for states' rights was always a principle of convenience for them to be tossed aside when necessary, but to see it ignored so nakedly. Just lol. Lol.

Doesn't matter what Roberts does once Barrett's confirmed. He'll either be on the losing side of a bunch of 5-4s and make Barrett take the heat or vote what he really thinks for all the 6-3 decisions. The Roberts court is over. If he really cared about court integrity, he'd resign after Biden is sworn in.

Pack the loving Court.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The next generation of 5-4 decisions are going to be really, really loving dire.

The way conservatives all started shouting about how we don't need to worry, no one is going to touch Roe the moment Ginsburg died tells you everything you need to know.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

lol @ Sab getting poo poo on in the TXPOL thread for having correct opinions

D&D: Not Even Once

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
You guys with your judicial elections are so cute

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

disjoe posted:

lol @ Sab getting poo poo on in the TXPOL thread for having correct opinions

D&D: Not Even Once

Openly partisan judicial elections: the final frontier.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Partisan judicial elections are a gift.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I mean I think judicial elections suck rear end but if you think Ursula loving Hall is better suited for the job than, well, anyone then I got a bridge to sell you

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I said it

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Known racist disjoe

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I hope staci Williams wins a scotx seat cause she is a loving nut job and I think it’d be funny

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

Grift*

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sab0921 posted:

While a wildly unpopular position, I am of the opinion that if the fix is gonna be in based on the partisan allegiance of the judge in question, the voters should be able to make that choice directly rather than at a remove or two.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

Openly partisan judicial elections: the final frontier.

In 2015, I worked as the aide to a candidate for PA Supreme Court who ran with two other candidates on an openly partisan platform of changing the majority on court in time for redrawing the congressional districts. All were elected and within two years they overturned the map on a slapdash challenge and basically drew their own.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Not gonna lie the law discord is looking really great now. A discord a day keeps the doctors away!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Also pack the court. Just. Pack it.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
yeah i went a couple days of looking at the control panel with no responses in here and was like oh, those nerds must be posting in their treehouse now

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
LOL if you think judicial elections in the long term don't just serve the purpose of helping DAs by making judges worry about being Willy Hortoned.

Sure, everyone is pro-criminal justice reform, but if a judge gives leniency on a stupid case to someone who then goes out an rapes and murders someone, people turn irrationally tough on crime in an instant. If you don't this Aaron Persky made judges in California more conservative on sentencing even for non-sex cases, you're fooling yourselves. Sure, other judges may not be recalled, but it was a show of power. Judges hate the idea of losing their seats.
Also, let's be clear that no judge will ever be recalled for being a hanging judge, even if the actual district is pro-reform. It is way easier to defend in our sound bite media, and a society so obsessed with blaming people for anything, even if it out of their control.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like the idea of having judges appointed by panels of attorneys, but the profession is already so goddam insular and hidebound.0

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

terrorist ambulance posted:

yeah i went a couple days of looking at the control panel with no responses in here and was like oh, those nerds must be posting in their treehouse now

I'm too old for Discord.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm too old for Discord.

It's just IRC with more bells and whistles

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Not gonna lie the law discord is looking really great now. A discord a day keeps the doctors away!

Gimme

Or do I not post in here enough to be part of the cool (read: very lame) kids’ club

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

disjoe posted:

Gimme

Or do I not post in here enough to be part of the cool (read: very lame) kids’ club

Who are you again? Anyway, PM your nudes to Phil and he'll take care of you.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm too old for Discord.

Not actually true, joat mon owns a channel for sharing images of goats and geese and that could be you, mister!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

disjoe posted:

Gimme

sent you a PM

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

nm posted:

LOL if you think judicial elections in the long term don't just serve the purpose of helping DAs by making judges worry about being Willy Hortoned.

Sure, everyone is pro-criminal justice reform, but if a judge gives leniency on a stupid case to someone who then goes out an rapes and murders someone, people turn irrationally tough on crime in an instant. If you don't this Aaron Persky made judges in California more conservative on sentencing even for non-sex cases, you're fooling yourselves. Sure, other judges may not be recalled, but it was a show of power. Judges hate the idea of losing their seats.
Also, let's be clear that no judge will ever be recalled for being a hanging judge, even if the actual district is pro-reform. It is way easier to defend in our sound bite media, and a society so obsessed with blaming people for anything, even if it out of their control.

Harris County will be an interesting experiment for this - against the DA's wishes and with a massive campaign against them from conservatives, the Harris County Commissioners and Criminal Court Judges pushed through bail reform which has all of the expected opposition.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Who are you again? Anyway, PM your nudes to Phil and he'll take care of you.

I’m a motherfucking attorney, so you better watch your mouth, bucko

Anyway I got the link from three different people, thank you you are all gracious

Now to watch the Stahl interview, watch the debate, drink and vomit

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Also pack the court. Just. Pack it.

Pack it like a bowl! (Do people still use those these days? Or is it all about vaping and more esoteric forms of weed delivery?)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Folks are still packing bowls to this day.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
Can I get a discord invite too, I got one a while back but forgot to use it in time. Canadian law student, wanna soak up all ur beautiful brains to truly understand how much I've ruined my life :')

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Oooo we don't have a Canadian I don't think. We have a norwegian, a moose hunter, and an alcoholic, but that's all just Fish.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
re Bush v Gore I read this the other day and it almost made me pop a blood vessel in my brain: https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/2004/10/the-path-to-florida

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Oooo we don't have a Canadian I don't think. We have a norwegian, a moose hunter, and an alcoholic, but that's all just Fish.

Nm is Canadian. And I do have a huge alcohol problem, I make a lot more than I consume.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just learned you're actually Finnish.

Also NM isn't a Canadian lawyer, that's the big problem with the nut master.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I would like to be a Canadian lawyer

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Petey posted:

re Bush v Gore I read this the other day and it almost made me pop a blood vessel in my brain: https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/2004/10/the-path-to-florida

It's disgusting how a rag like vanity fair is allowed to drag the good name of Jeb! And George

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

this av is great btw

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm Canadian but I'm a nobody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
edit: It's that guy^^^^^^^^

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just learned you're actually Finnish.

Also NM isn't a Canadian lawyer, that's the big problem with the nut master.

Someone on the discord is a Canadian lawyer, but I can't remember who because I'm terrible.