Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m more baffled they are starting Tua. I get there is pressure to start your new prize but I thinking sitting him a year is much more productive use

if he's ready to go he's ready to go. You've got a BYE week to transition, and besides dealing with Aaron Donald the easiest part of your schedule coming up, and it looks like you're going to end up with a top pick from the Texans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Catfish Noodlin posted:

if he's ready to go he's ready to go. You've got a BYE week to transition, and besides dealing with Aaron Donald the easiest part of your schedule coming up, and it looks like you're going to end up with a top pick from the Texans.

Is he ready to go? He’s healthy but that isn’t the end all be all to being a QB.

I guess if you think the best way to learn is just to throw him out there and hope he learns on his feet but that’s a dangerous proposition.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Is he ready to go? He’s healthy but that isn’t the end all be all to being a QB.

I guess if you think the best way to learn is just to throw him out there and hope he learns on his feet but that’s a dangerous proposition.

How is he supposed to learn by not playing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
By being coached I would hope

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't know, we have precisely zero information available, the only stuff the public has is a former practice squad player leaking off-season practice film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ya65O8oiPA

Unless you believe that the coaching staff is deeply stupid, it's the logical assumption that he's playing well in practice, they think he's ready and/or better than Fitzpatrick, etc. and so on.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm of the mindset that a rookie should ride the pine behind a good vet until they either have to start them (due to injury like Tom Brady taking over Drew Bledsoe's job) or if their postseason spot is locked (like Patrick Mahomes starting week 17 over Alex Smith).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm of the mindset that a rookie should ride the pine behind a good vet until they either have to start them (due to injury like Tom Brady taking over Drew Bledsoe's job) or if their postseason spot is locked (like Patrick Mahomes starting week 17 over Alex Smith).

Brady wasn't a rookie.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

My view is a rookie should start once they demonstrate in practice they have grasp of the offense AND you have an offensive line that won't get them killed. As the Dolphins have a mediocre / sub par line, and a solid receiver cast which puts him in way better shape then most rookie QB's, sure go for it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Even though this thought is forbidden in Kansas City and Patrick talks about how much he learned sitting behind Alex I don't think Mahomes would be worse today than he would have been if they just let Alex Smith go and he started from day one. Team would probably have been worse in the first year though.

I mean the Chiefs were in a spot where that wasn't going to come up barring something terrible happening, so yeah, just a weird blessed situation all around.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Mahome's didn't learn to read defenses till this year according to him. What is he supposed to have learned?

Nov 6, 2002

Android Apocalypse posted:

There are some many examples counter to this. P Manning, Stafford, Ryan, Flacco, Newton, Wilson, Luck, Watson. There are also plenty of rookie QBs who started right off and eventually washed out. But do you really think that EJ Manuel or Winston starting week 1 is what the problem was? Of course not, they were not starting QB caliber players.

There are so many, many factors that go into if a QB is successful or not: Does he have a good supporting cast? Is the coaching staff competent? Can the organization find players in FA, draft well, manage the roster, etc. Are the owners patient and know when to step in and when to stay out of things? Whether or not he sits for six weeks seems to be pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

On top of this if you are sitting them you are WASTING a year of dirt cheap quarterbacking. Your rookie QB could be adjusting to the NFL and getting up to speed instead of sitting on the pine.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 22, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Mahome's didn't learn to read defenses till this year according to him. What is he supposed to have learned?

The popular thought around here is that Alex taught him to be a pro. Which I discount because the guy was taught from the time he was a toddler how to be a professional athlete (and also the whole idea is bullshit and just PR).

On the other hand Alex Smith came back from that thing that I won't look at again and actually played, so maybe he put some extra work effort into a maniac?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Eagles released guard Jamon Brown, which raises an eyebrow because the most of the starting offensive line is dead and it's a short week. But when you really dig into it:

https://twitter.com/jclarknbcs/status/1318976402029449217?s=21

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That Mahomes thing about learning to read defences is always so out of context. Learning to identify defensive packages, call protections against blitzes at the line, and read coverages are things he could already do.

What he said he learned how to read was specific defenders'/coaches/defenses tells and habits.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
The fins also have the texans pick which could be a top 5 pick this year so if tua really isn't going to ever be healthy or just outright sucks you can just pick the next prospect.

They are playing with house money and you want to maximize building a team around a QB on a rookie contract.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Yeah, Mahomes only learned to read defenses this year, not the year he threw 50 TDs or the year he won the Super Bowl...

Also, Dolphins are dumb for benching Fitzpatrick. You might as well admit that he is winning too many games and that you only care about next year and your draft picks.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I kind of want AB to call Harbaugh a cracker

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

a neat cape posted:

Hes also gonna get the team back in like three weeks when Tua goes on IR

Listen... reality checks still count as cheering on injury

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Uh what part of 100% completion percentage do you not understand?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Amy Pole Her posted:

Uh what part of 100% completion percentage do you not understand?

A powerful counterpoint

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah, Mahomes only learned to read defenses this year, not the year he threw 50 TDs or the year he won the Super Bowl...

Also, Dolphins are dumb for benching Fitzpatrick. You might as well admit that he is winning too many games and that you only care about next year and your draft picks.

He's won you basically zero games that any other replacement level quarterback wouldn't have also won, and he's been a pretty solid contributor to the losses you do have(with the exception of the Bills game).

It isn't particularly crazy to believe that Tua won't hurt you, or could even be better right away.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

late, but I thought he could catch anything

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Three outcomes can realisticslly happen:

1. Fitz will demand a trade and get sent to Denver or Dallas. Tua will get lit up after one or two games and Miami will have to quickly sign Rosen, Bortles, or bring in some other third string jamoke to back him up.

2. Fitz isn't traded and Tua underwhelms/moves the team out of contention. At that point, what would Fitz even want to play for anymore? It's out in the open that his performance does not preclude his being benched and he is now responsible for a team with a losing record

3. If Tua succeeds then, well, good for Miami. Fotz can sit on the bench or get traded and nothing really changes.

It seems like a huge gamble. At least give Fitz the chance to lose the starting spot so it doesn't seem so purposeful.

Nov 6, 2002

Zurreco posted:

Three outcomes can realisticslly happen:

1. Fitz will demand a trade and get sent to Denver or Dallas. Tua will get lit up after one or two games and Miami will have to quickly sign Rosen, Bortles, or bring in some other third string jamoke to back him up.

2. Fitz isn't traded and Tua underwhelms/moves the team out of contention. At that point, what would Fitz even want to play for anymore? It's out in the open that his performance does not preclude his being benched and he is now responsible for a team with a losing record

3. If Tua succeeds then, well, good for Miami. Fotz can sit on the bench or get traded and nothing really changes.

It seems like a huge gamble. At least give Fitz the chance to lose the starting spot so it doesn't seem so purposeful.

This is silly. The only way Fitzpatrick plays again this year is if Tua gets injured. They're not going to trade him either.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Slowpoke! posted:

Eh it's not crazy. Brett Favre didnt really learn how to read NFL defenses until the mid 2000s well after his MVP years. Some QBs can skate by on pure athletic skill & instinct. And good play design.

Remember too that as the 2nd QB Tua is basically getting 0 snaps with the offense. Practice time is so limited that it's 100% dedicated to starters and installation of game plans. It's not like the old days, the time he has had is learning the playbook from rote and film study. Only way to get snaps is to be the starting qb.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Who knew benching 17 year journeyman QB Ryan Fitzpatrick to start the 5th overall pick in the draft would be so controversial!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Would Ryan Fitzpatrick be an improvement over Andy Dalton?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mega64 posted:

I think he has higher ceilings and around the same lows.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Absolutely

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Fitz doesn't combust in prime time. Why trade anything for Fitz when the cowboys were already imploding before Dak went down? At best they continue the limp into a playoff blowout.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Probably and &e is my friend

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
I’m sure one of you can fill me in here, per AB. But, since when can you serve a suspension while not on a team?

If you're suspended 8 games, but not on a team, how is that a suspension? You're just a free agent.

Is this new, did I miss some CBA/rule change?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I heard some of you have been talking bunk about Tom Ed Pat Brady Jr.?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/chrishayre/status/1318934270757412865

Neat

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Fitz doesn't combust in prime time
It’s true, Fitz combusts unpredictably

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Troll Job:

https://twitter.com/PghSteelersNow/status/1319040197867307008

How the Yinzers are taking it:

https://twitter.com/Allanbmerino/status/1319062713453187073

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I mean he's right, he's never played with a QB who won MVP before mahomes

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I would like to announce that I am also having an MVP caliber year although not statistically.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's fascinating how rapidly Brown's and Bell's careers dropped off after leaving Pittsburgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he is having a very good top 15 season that could be an mvp level season in the past. like derek carr but just a little worse, which should be good enough to win the super bowl this season. super bowl mvp