Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol seriously I wish someone would make my poo poo sound way better than I do (not hard to do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Do not, under any circumstances, have fun or, God forbid, rock out with your metal guitar. Treat it like a gentle sleeping baby.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Not my strings! I paid $5 for those!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

He's acting like he has a 59 les paul or something instead of a sub 1000 dollar used guitar that's geared towards aggressive guitar playing. LOL, what a dweeb.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

if i didn't let my friends who aren't as dumb as I am pick up my guitar then how would i know my setup is poo poo smh

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

gonna go ahead and list my WHORE guitar on craigslist, alas, for she has been sullied by the hands of another.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My guitar's boyfriend said it's my turn on the nintendo switch

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
what the gently caress.

Schecter Guitars/Basses are designed to get the poo poo kicked out of them. Like I don't know which one of y'all called them "The Von Dutch of Guitar Brands" and yeah, aesthetically-speaking they are kinda goofy, but the durability is the reason why I love my dumb ATX C-1 so much. I can beat the crap out of it and it'll stay in tune and play so fine because they're expecting you to play 'em live.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ew.com/music/miley-cyrus-making-metallica-tribute-album/%3famp=true
:negative:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Counterpoint: Hell yeah.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

what kind of music do you usually have here?

oh we got both kinds. we got metal and trad

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I'd be kinda curious to hear her rendition of Battery

Aw gently caress, the famous lines from One would be hilarious too. Please cover One. Please please plaeas

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

what the gently caress.

Schecter Guitars/Basses are designed to get the poo poo kicked out of them. Like I don't know which one of y'all called them "The Von Dutch of Guitar Brands" and yeah, aesthetically-speaking they are kinda goofy, but the durability is the reason why I love my dumb ATX C-1 so much. I can beat the crap out of it and it'll stay in tune and play so fine because they're expecting you to play 'em live.

i believe it was me who said they're the affliction shirt of guitars

Spanish Manlove posted:

Aw gently caress, the famous lines from One would be hilarious too. Please cover One. Please please plaeas

miley belting out the first line of brandenburg gate from lulu would justify the entire endeavor

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
brandenburg gate is the dudes rock version of gently caress the pain away

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

this is where you have to admit metallica is the most clever band by exploiting a loophole in california child labor laws to get full ownership of their master tapes

What? :psyduck:

I'm not sure if you're loving around but this is confusing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sigher posted:

What? :psyduck:

I'm not sure if you're loving around but this is confusing.

I was curious too and it's true! Basically some part of California law that was meant to prevent exploitation of child actors but was applicable to their contract

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I hope she covers Metallica’s cover of “So What.”

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Me too but I also know it won't be as good as the Songsmith version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWTfrW3gEo

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

1. I am cautiously optimistic about a Miley Metallica album. It will depend heavily on track list, I think.

2. I play guitar pretty hard. Like, I play hard enough that I'm pretty sure it's actually holding me back from advancing in both speed and accuracy. And I have never ONCE thought I would damage my or any other guitar in almost 25 years of playing. God forbid that dude ever see someone play with a textured pick. His sweet feather-touched baby.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

How would feather fingers react to funk bass? Slapping and popping the strings like that?

Also someone should show him how playing live occasionally results in a bloody hand.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I've mainly been playing Trad these days.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Wark Say posted:

Is that why Testament/Anthrax did those middling re-recordings of some of their greatest "hits"?

And Flotsam&Jetsam, Megadeth...
Must be in the aging thrasher manual.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

How would feather fingers react to funk bass? Slapping and popping the strings like that?

Also someone should show him how playing live occasionally results in a bloody hand.
I still remember how Billy Corgan mentions watching the Chili Peppers when they came to Chicago on one of their first times and how Flea was slapping 'n popping his bass so hard that the crazy mo'fo needed to super-glue chunks of skin back to his hand.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I treat my guitar like a pimp would, and she likes it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I still remember how Billy Corgan mentions watching the Chili Peppers when they came to Chicago on one of their first times and how Flea was slapping 'n popping his bass so hard that the crazy mo'fo needed to super-glue chunks of skin back to his hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxaULgF12es

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
Also from TGP:

quote:

(LP RI content): Does grain pattern have any bearing on resonance, sustain, and sound quality?
I'm currently in discussion with Gibson for a replacement on my 60th Anniversary V1 R0 that went if for warranty work right after I got it (finish issues). I did get it back with a ding on the back and the case wasn't mine. Gibson said they would be willing to do a replacement. Based on my preferences in a guitar, they sent over pictures of a potential replacement (I already turned one down due to a "ho hum "top).

The guitar is beautiful, but I'm slightly concerned about the back. It has the most swirl I've ever seen in an LP back and somewhere along the way, I read (via an interview with some reknown major company builder who escapes me at the moment) that the most resonant and best sustaining guitars tend to have straight grain. A bit of figuring wouldn't concern me, but I'll let the picture speak for itself:

Again, that's the most I've ever seen (along with perhaps a bit of distortion in the grain at points). The idea that a straight grain would lead to best energy transferral and, thus, best resonance and sustain, seems to make sense. SO, with that in mind, does anyone have any input into that based on their own experience? Please, take it easy on me if you have strong feelings about it. We're talking about a $6500 guitar here and I just don't want to get stuck with a dog, especially since the first one (which I can opt to hang on to still) is actually a very nice guitar.

homewrecker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 21, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Scientifically speaking: yes but not enough for a human to notice anything.

Realistically speaking: it doesn't loving matter you god drat nerd holy poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

Scientifically speaking

I stopped there.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
gonna develop a comsol model for the vibration patterns in mahogany based on the wood grain and make sure that a dick and balls shape is prominently featured in the dissertation

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I mean if I was spending 7 grand on a guitar via the Internet I would probably want it to be top of the loving line too. The difference is I would simply not spend 7 grand on a guitar via the Internet. Maybe I'm built different.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's right up there with the trend among some boutique builders of using single coat finishes with no grain filler to allow the wood to "breathe" i.e. that poo poo costs like $80+ a gallon and they want to get the most out of it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

something something tonewood believer soemthing something case queen

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
I think it looks amazing, and no it won't make a difference in tone, sorry you spent too much and are having buyers remorse you idiot.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dude should give me the guitar if its too swirly for him, i like an LP and thats a pretty one

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ask for a refund, send the guitar back and spend it on literally anything else he might like.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Flea is 58 years old.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i really don't understand how you can obsess over tone wood and resonance and sustain etc. while the best, most popular musicians almost never baby their guitars and obsess over that stuff. Pickups and strings, sure, but I've never seen an interview where some ~ guitar god ~ gets into that stuff. It's just such a disconnect.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

kjetting posted:

I treat my guitar like a pimp would, and she likes it.

Slamming the poo poo out of the whammy bar and a couple of sweaty 20s flop out while the guitar somehow says "thanks daddy" a la peter frampton, not sure where the talk box or amp is but the sound is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

well why not posted:

i really don't understand how you can obsess over tone wood and resonance and sustain etc. while the best, most popular musicians almost never baby their guitars and obsess over that stuff. Pickups and strings, sure, but I've never seen an interview where some ~ guitar god ~ gets into that stuff. It's just such a disconnect.

Yeah, broadly speaking. But I could swear I saw something where Billy Corgan was talking about tonewood, the effect of different types of paints and some other wizardry. I think there was some intense pedalwankery in there, too.