Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Billions of dollars down the drain

I think Quibi launched maybe 6-7 months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Committed to their short-format lifestyle to the end.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Don't forget Quibi's social media team being worse at advertising than any random 5th grader:

https://twitter.com/Quibi/status/1280134695620091905

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Soylent Pudding posted:

Isn't there now Uber but for call centers where people buy their own equipment and fight for the privilege of getting paid well below minimum wage to field random customer support calls?

No idea about that, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all. The generic places are usually and predictably pretty lovely, and you’ll often see the same location change names like every 2-3 years. My mom once lived across the street from one and it looked like any other place in an office park, and I only found out what it was years later when I was searching for a full time job. I did one phone interview, did their little online assessment, saw what a poo poo show it would be and noped away.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Here’s what I think. Quibi was trying to fill a percieved gap in the market by offering something that none of the other streaming platforms were offering. The problem was that that market was already being served, just not by Netflix and Hulu and the like. Short-form video content already existed, and even worse, Quibi was asking people to pay for what YouTube gives them for free.

I believe Katzenburg failed to realize this because he is stuck in an old-fashioned mindset and cannot let go of his outdated, defunct industry “knowledge.” He did not believe that the user-created content on YouTube was truly competing with “real television.” Maybe he never even considered it in the first place.

That’s my speculation. Hopefully someday we can hear the full story. Then at least Quibi will have produced something that entertained people.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Someone posted a pretty good Quibi breakdown article a while back, probably earlier in this same thread: https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-anyone-watching-quibi.html

quote:

Katzenberg is on his phone all the time, but he is also among the moguls of his generation who have their emails printed out (and vertically folded, for some reason) by an assistant. In enthusing about what a show could mean for Quibi, Katzenberg would repeatedly invoke the same handful of musty touchstones — America’s Funniest Home Videos, Siskel and Ebert, and Jane Fonda’s exercise tapes. When Gal Gadot came to the offices and delivered an impassioned speech about wanting to elevate the voices of girls and women, Katzenberg wondered aloud whether she might become the new Jane Fonda and do a workout series for Quibi. (“Apparently, her face fell,” says a person briefed on the meeting.)
So yeah basically he has no idea what the modern media landscape is like.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Can any of their shows be repurposed and sold to other services or does the short segments pretty much make that impossible?

Also if each episode is 5 minutes does that mean a season is one hour of content? Did they spend a billion dollars on 5 hours of actual content?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
For most of their shows Quibi only had the rights for a few years.So most of it should end up somewhere.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Quibi is the dumbest poo poo ever because YouTube exists if I want short videos, and if I do want actual story based things Netflix is smart enough to remember my place for later.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
TikTok ate a lot of that short video entertainment quarantine market. At least for younger people. And older people didn’t know what a Quibi was anyway.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Knormal posted:

Committed to their short-format lifestyle to the end.

:emptyquote:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Same

Adult Swim proved that you could do short form content as a series and be successful with it, they just didn't do anything that would actually attract anyone to the service. There was no big buzzworthy show that would act as a cultural touch stone, not even marketably controversial stuff just the bizarre golden hand thing.

It doesn't help that they had competitors with decent content released for free though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

Adult Swim proved that you could do short form content as a series and be successful with it,

If you’re doing something specializing in short entertainment and your first phone call isn’t to Adam Reed you deserve your inevitable failure. Or rather, Welcome to You’re Doom

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Thomamelas posted:

For most of their shows Quibi only had the rights for a few years.So most of it should end up somewhere.

It's kinda funny, this was a big selling point for getting creators onboard (the rights revert back to the creator after 2-5 years depending on the individual deal). But as a result they haven't been able to sell the company or library because they barely own any IP.

So all these creators made shows for Quibi under the idea that (in addition to getting paid) the show would get exposure from the platform and then they'd own the long term rights so see a long term upside. Instead nobody is gonna see those shows for quite a while now.

Anyway, who could have foreseen that two sixty year old billionaires wouldn't know how to run a media company targeted at 20 year olds.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Did this get posted yet?

https://twitter.com/LukeXCunningham/status/1318982719922032641

hosed up if true

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/BW/status/1319028841357115392

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1318913304077733889

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Is this an anyway meaningful? Pretty sure the Sackler family just looted and hid as much money as humanly possible and then distanced themselves from the company.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's been discussed before but it bears repeating

Funny how they get billions in VC funding but still union bust

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You don't get rich by spending money!!!!!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Is this an anyway meaningful? Pretty sure the Sackler family just looted and hid as much money as humanly possible and then distanced themselves from the company.

The Sacklers had to give up ownership and pay several billion dollars themselves. Plus they’re no longer welcome at charity galas. Yes, that is seriously something they complained about. They can’t get dressed up and mingle.

I think they, and Perdue Pharma, are still on the hook for state lawsuits, so they’re still looking at billions more in judgements. But honestly I’d rather see their top leadership perp walked into prison. I have a hard time understanding how a company can be guilty of felonies, but not the people running it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Sacklers had to give up ownership and pay several billion dollars themselves. Plus they’re no longer welcome at charity galas. Yes, that is seriously something they complained about. They can’t get dressed up and mingle.

I think they, and Perdue Pharma, are still on the hook for state lawsuits, so they’re still looking at billions more in judgements. But honestly I’d rather see their top leadership perp walked into prison. I have a hard time understanding how a company can be guilty of felonies, but not the people running it.

Because corporations are people, except when it’s inconvenient for them to be people, then they’re not.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Because corporations are people, except when it’s it inconvenient for them to be people, then they’re not.

I think classifying them as ‘people’ is part of the problem. Now a company can be guilty of a crime, but not the people running it. As if a LLC has free will. The company’s management are just organisms within the host. Parasites if you will.

Now we just need to make sure the money goes to treating opioid addiction and not to a lot of new football scoreboards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If corporations were people, they would never be allowed to leave the psych ward.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

:discourse:

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1319079025839656960?s=20

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Corporations are people yet somehow can murder with impunity and never be strapped to the electric chair.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Platonicsolid posted:

Corporations are people yet somehow can murder with impunity and never be strapped to the electric chair.
oh and they also don't have to pay taxes, mostly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Corporations are rich people, who are immune to all that stuff anyway.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Knormal posted:

Someone posted a pretty good Quibi breakdown article a while back, probably earlier in this same thread: https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-anyone-watching-quibi.html

That, and his tech industry co-founder coming from one of the most old-fashioned tech companies in the world, explains so much about Quibi.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
When you say "Tech Industry", Meg Whitman famously destroyed HP (ok the real HP is doing fine, it's just called "Agilent" now)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
As a huge Everything is Terrible fan, it’s time to Duane on the grave of Quibi or whatever it’s called. Hope Reno 911 gets to an actual loving streaming service

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ookiimarukochan posted:

When you say "Tech Industry", Meg Whitman famously destroyed HP (ok the real HP is doing fine, it's just called "Agilent" now)
And ran for Ca Governor and got her clock cleaned..

Another Meg Whitman success story!

vyst posted:

Imagine paying someone hundreds of dollars an hour to tell you something you already knew.
Executives are so loving stupid and convinced of their Big CEO Smartbrains that they literally burn money paying idiots to review the situation that their subordinates have spent months yelling about.

Volmarias posted:

Adult Swim
AS also grew organically in a traditionally discard-worthy timeslot, with low-cost productions.

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Oct 22, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

ookiimarukochan posted:

I thought Carly Fiorina did that.
Edit: Did some reading. It sounds like Fiorina wasn't great, but Whitman was really bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Knormal posted:

Every time Quibi comes up I wonder how anyone invested with a man Katzenberg's age who has his emails printed out. It's not like he's 90.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Its sounds like Meg and Jeff should be celebrated for redistributing billions of rich people money to the proletariat. We can only hope they keep this up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That money mostly ended up with other billionaires. I mean, I assume.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Spazzle posted:

Its sounds like Meg and Jeff should be celebrated for redistributing billions of rich people money to the proletariat. We can only hope they keep this up.

I don’t think you understand anything about any of this

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're like a modern day Robin Hood! Stealing from the rich and giving to the....slightly richer... Does that sound right? That's like a Robin Hood right?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

ookiimarukochan posted:

actually it's called keysight now lolol

and i think you're confusing meg whitman with carly fiorina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The ‘creative director’ for Google Stadia, which is Google’s game streaming service, posted this today

https://twitter.com/bangbangclick/status/1319305553454288896?s=21

Keep in mind that Stadia makes you buy almost all games before you can stream them

He is today’s Main Character of Gaming Twitter as a result