Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Probably relevant here, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Harveygod posted:

That's great. :allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Harveygod posted:

Moore like VULULU (I hate this mod).

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really wish T90 would turn that poo poo off I hate it lol

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It rules i'm glad he doesnt give in to the terrorist demands

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

For anyone interested in tournaments: Red Bull Wololo II started today. The games are played in "Empire Wars" mode: start already in Feudal Age, allowing for fighting to begin almost immediately.

The set with MBL was absolutely sick.

If you only watch one game, the final game of that set was one of the most exciting games of AoE2 I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk6YUGFRMwI&t=20515s

I was a bit on the fence about this format, but I'm totally on board now.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

This fuckin finals lineup, this is v hype

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

This fuckin finals lineup, this is v hype

Viper and Mr_Yo both took turns with a monkey paw and wished for the other to not win any games in the final.

Wishes granted.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I assume t90's been busy prepping for hurricanes. His stream's definitely been slower since the week before his move

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

I assume t90's been busy prepping for hurricanes. His stream's definitely been slower since the week before his move

He has a big 24hr stream coming up on Saturday, he is taking a few days break before it begins.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Sure but even so it's been a relatively sparse month it feels

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Just picked this up - hadn't played in I guess nearly 20 years. I had forgotten how much effort developing a strong economy takes in this compared to Blizzard RTS. I guess teenage me was just blissfully ignorant playing 4v4 black forest no rush.

It's amazing how I can laugh at T90's Low ELO Legend games and then when I play I'm making so many of the same mistakes. Hopefully I only have to get wrecked a few more times before I finally drop to the poo poo tier ELO I deserve and can win a game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah the game is pretty much the epitome of macro over micro at least compared to other games I've played. It's why I'm so bad at it!

Don't worry about your record to much and if you really want to clean house at low elo, wall and fast castle with 2 stables and go knights. 95% of <1000 players get creamed if you do this. It's really, really reliable. You might not win outright but you can run riot over most feudal age armies and then harass with what you've got left and a lot will just throw in the towel. Break up your knights and hit different parts of their base if they start chasing you with spears.

I can do all this pretty easily but lmao at producing anything while I'm doing so

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
How the hell do I Tariq ibn Ziyad #2

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
T90's LEL videos singlehandedly got me to try playing ranked. Do you AoE goons have a Discord or something?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

15 wins in a row :cool:

and I lost it on 16 because I could not find my loving sheep

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Azran posted:

T90's LEL videos singlehandedly got me to try playing ranked. Do you AoE goons have a Discord or something?

This is the best thing about LEL and (Definitive Edition's ranked ladder in general). It got me to do finally get rid of the stress of it; there are plenty of players just as bad as you/me.

There's a "Strategy Games" room in the big Goons discord: https://discord.gg/8qAvmx (Sorry if that doesn't work I don't know how Discord works.) There's also some "Map Goons" one, too.

There used to be games almost every weekend. Summer's over, so at least I'll be playing more games over the weekends, now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So how did I get a ranked RM coastal map when it isn't even in the map pool

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I somehow just barely got 20 minutes the first time I tried barbarossa brawl but there's no way in hell I'm going to be able to repeat that feat. I did plant at least 2 additional castles to the east and north crossings and I think one to the west but I have no clue how because to do that you're going to have to forego the rest of your economy by placing pretty much every villager on stone to start dropping castles/TCs, all while building stables or else archers are going to eat your teutonic knights while they treb your castles down. Having to dick around with the cumans in the east is actually making me worse; I didn't use them the first time but the loss of 200 gold and 175 wood is somehow screwing me badly. And I can pretty much forget about the pretzel throwing onagers, the only reward I actually want because I can forget about collecting a relic, even assuming I manage to make it to 20 minutes anyway.

God I hate this one

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

God I hate this one

One good thing about any of the event mods is that you can usually find them on the mod browser still. I haven't looked for this month, but I'd assume someone will put up the pretzel onager mod at some point so you can still enjoy it and ignore the challenges.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

3v5AI on Hardest. NOPE.

We're poo poo. Second attempt took 60 minutes of treaty to even put up a defense. We just talk poo poo and never learn.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Toast King posted:

One good thing about any of the event mods is that you can usually find them on the mod browser still. I haven't looked for this month, but I'd assume someone will put up the pretzel onager mod at some point so you can still enjoy it and ignore the challenges.

Well what's frustrating is that I can't do a dry run with cheats, take a peak at the map layout and enemy locations so I could come up with something resembling a strategy. Using cheats already disqualifies you from getting achievements anyway but it's entirely disabled in this. Truth be told I don't exactly understand what I did different that first time.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Well what's frustrating is that I can't do a dry run with cheats, take a peak at the map layout and enemy locations so I could come up with something resembling a strategy.
I haven't tried this, but can't you just resign right away and click "Return to Map" to see the fully revealed map, like at the end of a normal game?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah that worked. If I was going to go for the relic I'd probably go for orange with the cumans and whatever knights I can crank out. Whatever, it isn't like I'll hit 20 again. I seriously have no idea how I did it the first time

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 27, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Ok this is really weird but I just completed it and it was like someone cranked the difficulty down to idiot. It was almost like I was playing a totally different AI. Usually when green attacks first they send like 20+ knights, monks, mangonels, pikes and xbows/skirms. Sometimes rams. All at once. It's a pretty considerable force at 5 minutes. Hell if they were all upgraded it'd be a pretty considerable force at 25 minutes. This time it was an absolute trickle of xbows, pikes, couple mangonels, far fewer monks. And the same held true for orange too. Purple sent 2 trebs, one pike and a single skirmisher. What the hell man.

e: And now it's saying I didn't do it. Even after receiving the icon on the scoreboard screen. I'm absolutely loving livid.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 28, 2020

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Milo and POTUS posted:

This time it was an absolute trickle of xbows, pikes, couple mangonels, far fewer monks. And the same held true for orange too. Purple sent 2 trebs, one pike and a single skirmisher. What the hell man.

This sounds like the original AI.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
they patched barbarossa 4 so you can't just build a wonder across the river from venice :(

Viga_TCB
Dec 12, 2018
Nobody is going to talk about the KotD matches yesterday?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

They were pretty crazy, scenes getting hyper competitive

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
Great matches between Hera and Liereyy, not really sure what happened to Viper, really good tournament so far

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The Donut posted:

Great matches between Hera and Liereyy, not really sure what happened to Viper, really good tournament so far

Yo is just that insane and seems to have his number recently.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So you can pretty much complete this event only with AoE3 it seems right

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Friendship ended with snek. Now Lierrey is my best friend.

Apparently he barely plays the game lol. He's so good. And it's not like MBL was exactly playing bad

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Oh hey didn't realize there was a dedicated aoe2 thread. I've never really used siege a lot but ive just gotten into Ethiopians and massed Torsion Engines onagers should be illegal

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Oh I also just got this. I played a ton as a little kid and became... I think decent around 11 but I think I exclusively just stomped noob lobbies because I was the type of dweeb to print out build orders.

I've just been playing random maps vs the ai and beat the Jeanne d'Arc campaign. I figure I'll try online once I can beat the harder AIs a decent amount.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Does twitch stream crap out randomly often for anyone else?

Also is t90 doing LEL today because while I appreciate pro playing in the WC, I just plain have more fun watching LEL

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Vietnam came so close to beating Norway.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Oh I also just got this. I played a ton as a little kid and became... I think decent around 11 but I think I exclusively just stomped noob lobbies because I was the type of dweeb to print out build orders.

I've just been playing random maps vs the ai and beat the Jeanne d'Arc campaign. I figure I'll try online once I can beat the harder AIs a decent amount.

Id say just jump into ranked. Most people are terrible (myself included) and it feels more useful to develop builds and strats under real-world conditions. For reference, I could never beat the hard AI when I jumped into ranked, and 200 games later, I’m sitting around 1.1k.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

My usual crew is still utterly poo poo at this game and five of us struggled over 70 minutes to beat three Hardest AI. By the time it was over I'd lost over 1,350 units and killed only 500 enemy units in return :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Milo and POTUS posted:

Vietnam came so close to beating Norway.

I just watched that set this morning and it was impressive as hell what those guys were able to pull off.