Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Micromancer posted:

Im 6 foot 290 lbs. The ridge on the side of the seat is awkward getting in, but it's still easier than my Scion was. Once inside, I do not feel cramped other than the seat digs into my hips a tad.

Also: It's too late to prevent it now

Did you lose weight since making those famous pictures? Looking good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Micromancer posted:

Im 6 foot 290 lbs. The ridge on the side of the seat is awkward getting in, but it's still easier than my Scion was. Once inside, I do not feel cramped other than the seat digs into my hips a tad.

Wasn’t there a pic of you and a lady with a dramatic high difference? Gf/wife?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Edit: Problem was not solved. Vehicle junked.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 10, 2024

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there a thread for recommendations on what car to buy?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

What state are you in? Some of those fees might be negotiable.
I thought there was a car buying thread in BFC but I can't find it.
edit:
It's in Ask / Tell and has BFC in the title :v:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538

PookBear posted:

is there a thread for recommendations on what car to buy?

The one linked above.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Micromancer posted:

gently caress YES

Congrats dude!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

melon cat posted:

This 2004 Highlander V6 again. Very strange problem started happening today. My radiator's cooling fan turns on when the vehicle is off and key is out of the ignition. Even if the vehicle has been sitting unused all day. Video clip of it happening.

Do you have an OBD2 reader? If so, what does it report the engine coolant temp as being?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I knew there was a thread about it I just thought it was in here, thanks

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PookBear posted:

I knew there was a thread about it I just thought it was in here, thanks

No problem, I thought it was in BFC myself (it was a long time ago actually), had to go find it myself the other day. Now i realize the link is in the op of this thread haha

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

STR posted:

Do you have an OBD2 reader? If so, what does it report the engine coolant temp as being?
I do have a reader but it's a very cheap one that doesn't report the coolant temp. Darn.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 10, 2024

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I just bought a 2010 Forester and it has this weird switch underneath the steering wheel. Anyone have any idea what it could be? It doesn't seem to do anything. There's not hitch so it's not for a trailer light or anything. I got the car from Carvana so there isn't a PO that I can ask.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

I just bought a 2010 Forester and it has this weird switch underneath the steering wheel. Anyone have any idea what it could be? It doesn't seem to do anything. There's not hitch so it's not for a trailer light or anything. I got the car from Carvana so there isn't a PO that I can ask.

Buy Here Pay Here lot GPS/repo device that is no doubt badly hacked into the vehicle wiring harness.

Did you buy it from a BHPH lot at 29% APR?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Nah. Bought it from Carvana. $11k for a 2010 with 66k miles. Decent deal considering how hot the market is in Colorado for Subarus. Plus it seemed pretty clean.

Is there anything I should be worried about? All the electronics seem to function properly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Buy Here Pay Here lot GPS/repo device that is no doubt badly hacked into the vehicle wiring harness.

Did you buy it from a BHPH lot at 29% APR?

Nah. It’s a Karr brand alarm. It’s a garbage tier alarm thrown into the car by dealers so they can mark it up a ton.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nah. It’s a Karr brand alarm. It’s a garbage tier alarm thrown into the car by dealers so they can mark it up a ton.

Google confirms this. I'm guessing it's disabled considering that pressing the button does nothing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Is it one of the ones that bypasses the transponder? 💩

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You are both incorrect and correct. These are both the same thing. It's a repo device and/or they enable it as an alarm/keyless entry and give you remotes.

In any case, it it almost definitely badly cut into the the harness.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Is this something that I should be worried about at all? I just got the car today and I can return it for any reason with in 7 days. I'm not sure if something like this could cause electrical issues down the road or possibly start the vehicle from starting somehow.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Is this something that I should be worried about at all? I just got the car today and I can return it for any reason with in 7 days. I'm not sure if something like this could cause electrical issues down the road or possibly start the vehicle from starting somehow.

Where did you get it from? I would ask for that to be removed properly. Especially if it wasn't presented to you as part of an alarm/remote start/keyless entry package. If it serves none of those function that you want it's nothing but a liability.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

You are both incorrect and correct. These are both the same thing. It's a repo device and/or they enable it as an alarm/keyless entry and give you remotes.

In any case, it it almost definitely badly cut into the the harness.

I am 99% sure that model does not contain a GPS tracker and exists solely to sell unsuspecting buyers a “security system”.

It’s definitely tapped into the harness though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I am 99% sure that model does not contain a GPS tracker and exists solely to sell unsuspecting buyers a “security system”.

It’s definitely tapped into the harness though.

Here's your 1%: https://www.swds.net/swat-gps-vehicle-tracking

I used to do contracting work for the finance arm of BHPH lots.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Checked the wiring harness where it connects to. This looks like a mess. Tons of crimp connectors. Nothing is actually soldered from what I can tell. I think I'll be sending the car back most likely.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Partial Octopus posted:

Checked the wiring harness where it connects to. This looks like a mess. Tons of crimp connectors. Nothing is actually soldered from what I can tell. I think I'll be sending the car back most likely.

That sucks. It looks like you're missing a kick panel there too, you can see where it would clip in, and is the OBD2 port supposed to be up in that groove too? Yikes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nyyen posted:

Is there any conclusive opinion on the reliability of the newest generation Chrysler Pacifica/Voyager, specifically the 2018/2019 models? I see there was some issues with the infotainment system and suspension in the 2017, and a few complaints about ticking from the engine and transmission issues. They are so much cheaper than the other things on the market I really hope they have worked out the kinks.

Late model Chrysler minivan body control electronics are loving stupid and I bet that model has them too. Straight up enraging to try and use. It's basically impossible to get the interior lights to stay on more than a few seconds, the door locks are straight up stupid and I actually got locked in the back for a short while before climbing over the driver seat, and the bcm will wake up and rehome anywhere from 3 to over a dozen actuators in the body if you touch nearly any electronic control, or don't, whether it's got the key in or out, no matter how long it's been parked. If I touched a door button or the gas or brake pedal, I'd get weird actuator noises from the dash a few times, then the rear passenger quarter panel area a few times, then all over the dash a half dozen times. Sometimes it would just do it randomly for no reason.

I have no earthly clue how they don't kill the battery doing that constantly.

I rented one a few weeks ago and slept in it (needed a hotel room out in the middle of nowhere during a pandemic, long story) and it was easily my least favorite auto rental of all time.

E: guy with the lovely car alarm thing, if you take it all out and splice it all back together with good marine grade heatshrink butt splices it'll be fine. Just match the original harness colors back up when reconnecting them.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 22, 2020

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Hi I just want to update you because it's funny about my 06 Ford Escape v6 I posted a question about the other day.

So, apparently what I thought was the water pump belt slipping was air escaping around a spark plug that was trying to escape. It actually escaped the other day.

Just wondering how likely helicoiling it is to work? My dad's doing most of it because he's very mechanically inclined, so I'm not worrying too much about the skill/doing it right part. But is it going to hold? I've watched some haphazard videos and seems kinda sketchy about getting metal chips into the cylinder, but I have a borescope on the way so that should ameliorate those concerns.

Other funny thing is we were going to change the spark plugs last week with all the other 150k maintenance but didn't feel like taking the intake manifold off at the time so we didn't. My dad even said "we can just replace the front three," which we didn't (one of the front three popped out.)

Also, pay the $3 a month for roadside assistance, saved my rear end and I guess tighten your spark plugs once in awhile?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least a front one failed, it'll be easier to helicoil. They do work apparently.

You can try turning the engine till that cylinder is on the intake stroke and running compressed air into the throttle body. That will blow any chips out instead of them falling in. This should be pretty easy, hook up the compressed air and turn the crank until it starts rushing out the plug hole.

I would rather use a timesert than a helicoil - much less likely to come out with the plug when changing it next. But I don't know if they make an appropriate size timesert kit for that engine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Here's your 1%: https://www.swds.net/swat-gps-vehicle-tracking

I used to do contracting work for the finance arm of BHPH lots.

They sell multiple models. Their site is also hot garbage, so it’s pretty much impossible to pull model specific info.

https://www.swds.net/karr-auto-security

This appears to be the page for the “Karr” model, and it isn’t a GPS tracker.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kastein posted:

I would rather use a timesert than a helicoil - much less likely to come out with the plug when changing it next. But I don't know if they make an appropriate size timesert kit for that engine.

Interesting that timesert makes a kit but only good up to '04. Ford make changes?

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

spankmeister posted:

Did you lose weight since making those famous pictures? Looking good.

Not really, I always hover at 290 give or take 5 lbs. Picture day I was probably retaining water.

Wasn’t there a pic of you and a lady with a dramatic high difference? Gf/wife?

Not yet but likely some day soon. Wife has dropped 20 pounds doing gym time. I am still comfortably fat though.

MrKatharsis posted:

gently caress YES

Congrats dude!

Please never forget you were instrumental in me even making it this far. I hope things are well in your neck of the woods.

In car news: This thing is ridiculous. It's so hard to be gentle and I haven't ever had a car that made the kind of growl this one has on purpose.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Micromancer posted:

Not really, I always hover at 290 give or take 5 lbs. Picture day I was probably retaining water.

Not yet but likely some day soon. Wife has dropped 20 pounds doing gym time. I am still comfortably fat though.

Please never forget you were instrumental in me even making it this far. I hope things are well in your neck of the woods.

In car news: This thing is ridiculous. It's so hard to be gentle and I haven't ever had a car that made the kind of growl this one has on purpose.

Hah, my bad. I meant “height” but I typed “high”.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
Hey stupid question but I know like nothing about cars, I recently came into possession of a car(2012 kia forte) that has been sitting unused for 6 months to a year. As far as my rudimentary googling tells me ill need to charge the battery or get a jump at the very least, along with making sure the tires are ok. But are there any other steps I should take?

Quincytbb fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 22, 2020

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Check the oil, maybe throw in a little fuel stabilizer before you start it? Its probably fine without it.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Quincytbb posted:

Hey stupid question but I know like nothing about cars, I recently came into possession of a car(2012 kia forte) that has been sitting unused for 6 months to a year. As far as my rudimentary googling tells me ill need to charge the battery or get a jump at the very least, along with making sure the tires are ok. But are there any other steps I should take?

It might be a good idea to get a PPI (post-purchase inspection). Yeah, it’ll cost you a bit, but I’d rather find out about any possible issues sooner than later. Otherwise, you could do the best possible job you can yourself. Check out the brakes, inspect the suspension, look for leaks, get an idea what maintenance items might be due, et cetera.

That’s more because it’s a new to you car than anything though. For the six months it’s been dormant, I think you’ve got the right idea. Take it for a spin too, and that might help you determine what you want to do about the PPI.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Here's something that I've always wondered, why do old race cars sound so loving good? Like what is fundamentally different about them compared to modern cars that makes the aural experience so much better? Obviously a lack of any sound deadening helps but the noises they make are just burlier than modern cars...

example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjE_RIllh4A

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Just drove my 2012 Subaru Impreza ~6 miles before realizing that I forgot to put the oil cap back on. My girlfriend is bringing me a replacement cap, but I wanted to know: did I do any major damage, and do I need to get anything checked out?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

china bot posted:

Just drove my 2012 Subaru Impreza ~6 miles before realizing that I forgot to put the oil cap back on. My girlfriend is bringing me a replacement cap, but I wanted to know: did I do any major damage, and do I need to get anything checked out?

Check the oil. Is it still appropriately full? You're fine.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Motronic posted:

Check the oil. Is it still appropriately full? You're fine.

Will do, thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It seems very unlikely that you would have lost enough oil through the fill cap to cause problems without also setting the car on fire in the process.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Here's something that I've always wondered, why do old race cars sound so loving good? Like what is fundamentally different about them compared to modern cars that makes the aural experience so much better? Obviously a lack of any sound deadening helps but the noises they make are just burlier than modern cars...

example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjE_RIllh4A
There's a ton that goes into what a car ends up sounding like, and I think that "old > new" is an oversimplification. Very incomplete list of factors:
  • Engine layout (V/Flat/Inline)
  • Cylinder Count
  • Displacement
  • Programming (if ECU/new)/Fueling (carbs)
  • Head design
  • Usable rev range
  • exhaust design (size, shape/route, active components, emissions components, etc.)
At a stab, I'd say that older cars tend to have desirable engine layouts, a complete disregard for emissions, and a rough idea of what fueling should look like, whereas newer cars tend to be min/maxed toward power & performance based on changes/advancements in (almost) all of those areas above.

Also, new cars sound pretty cool, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaCVkgSOPdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe2IFVUgLXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx6sA-q7fUs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

It's mostly just better fueling. All of those deceleration pops and gurgles in the above videos are actually fake. It's a little bit of fuel and an ignition cut when 'normal' modern injected vehicles just cut fuel entirely in decel. It's just as fake as engine sounds in electric cars for exactly the same reason: People are stupid and think less of a car that doesn't make certain sounds.

Porsche went way too hard on making the 718 Boxster/Cayman do a ton of them because they can't get the same exhaust sound with the 4 cylinders and a turbo in the way. My 981 does it a little but I'll probably have it turned off when I get it tuned because I wonder very specifically about the excess fuel at high vacuum, dry sump crankcase pressure, and high ethanol content fuel and how the last thing has been linked to bore scoring in the past.