Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hardon Crime posted:

maybe in some situations but the logistics involved in moving these guns from their factories to the front, enough parts to keep them going and enough ammo to feed them makes it such that if you aren't also providing the water and the oil they mixed to cool these things you're going to wind up with more than a few dead machineguns from the various crap thats inside piss as it boils and evaporates plugging up this or that, coating the inside of the waterjacket and making it harder for the metal to transmit the energy to the water mixture

Finnish modification of Maxim's water jacket has this big lid that you can shove snow through. I suppose it worked well enough because the Soviets copied it after Winter War.

Now I think there was enough snow that they didn't need to resort to the yellow variant...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qiirbmZAbv1s1ddrj.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hard Brixit getting along, I see

MEANWHILE IN FINLAND
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/court_fines_finnair_passenger_for_air_rage_toilet_incident/11606281

quote:

Court fines Finnair passenger for 'air rage' toilet incident

Helsinki District Court has handed down a one-year suspended prison sentence to a 42-year-old Finnish man in relation to an incident aboard a Finnair flight from Helsinki to Vietnam in 2017.

The man was also ordered to pay 43,000 euros in damages to Finnair, as well as cover the airline's legal costs in the case.

The court heard that the incident began when the defendant tried to pay for in-flight purchases with a Finnair gift card, but this method of payment was refused by the flight attendant.

According to the attendant, the man then became angry and went to one of the airplane’s toilets. While he was there, loud banging noises were heard coming from the cubicle.

When he returned to his seat, the flight attendant went to check the toilet.

"I have never in my career seen so many broken parts in a toilet, and it smelled of vomit and urine," the flight attendant told the court.

"Extreme force" required to cause damage

The court heard the accused had attempted to pull the cabinet away from under the cubicle’s sink, breaking off one door and causing damage to the wall behind it in the process. He also broke a towel rack from the mirrored wall.

"It would have been necessary to use extreme force to remove the towel rack and the cabinet door," a Finnair safety director, who was a witness in court, said.

During the preliminary investigation, the defendant admitted to police that he caused the damage to the toilet, but in court he denied the act was intentional. Instead, he said a period of turbulence had caused him to lose his balance.

"I wobbled due to turbulence, and I grabbed the mirror cabinet," the man said in court, adding that he had been drinking alcohol before and during the flight, as well as taking sedatives.

Finnair’s security director was asked at the trial if turbulence could have caused the damage to the cubicle.

"No," the director replied.

Four further witnesses also told the court that there was no exceptionally strong period of turbulence during the flight.

Endangered the safety of passengers

After the incident, the accused fell into a deep sleep and was not awoken by the flight attendants until the airplane arrived at its destination, by which time the captain had alerted Vietnamese authorities.

The court ruled that the man had endangered the safety of other passengers through his actions, and that the effects of the alcohol and sedatives did not exclude him from criminal liability.

"The incident could have become very dangerous if the damage had affected the aircraft's cabin pressure," the Helsinki District Court stated in its ruling.

The district court's judgment is not final, leaving the defendant room to appeal the decision to a higher court.

Apparently, from the Finnish version of the article, the man was some sort of body builder, and the flight's captain deemed that he could potentially have damaged the fuselage and caused a depressurization.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 21, 2020

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Given his reaction, gonna assume he was on anabolics.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

Given his reaction, gonna assume he was on anabolics.

i dunno, that seems like a pretty standard booze-fuelled rageout to me. dude wanted to continue getting wasted, flight attendant said no gift cards, he flipped out

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
where are you supposed to spend the airline gift card if not on the airline

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mozi posted:

where are you supposed to spend the airline gift card if not on the airline

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Finnish modification of Maxim's water jacket has this big lid that you can shove snow through. I suppose it worked well enough because the Soviets copied it after Winter War.

Now I think there was enough snow that they didn't need to resort to the yellow variant...

Soviet scuttle-butt on that was the updated fill was adapted from a tractor radiator.
'Cause, you know, can't let on that the Finns use the same equipment but improved it. See: rebuilding 1891-19xx Mosin rifles to suit the SA's purposes.

Say what you want about Soviet firearms, but they are more likely to stop working before they blow up in your hands, next to your face.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

You're gonna need a bigger car.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Z6bjJlg.mp4
:catstare:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

those headlights are mirroring my blink speed after seeing that dude crawl out unharmed

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

UraniumAnchor posted:

Gonna need more than a book to stop that thing from getting you.

That's the robot that went into a blackhole, right? What film was that?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Ak Gara posted:

That's the robot that went into a blackhole, right? What film was that?

Disney's "The Black Hole". I think Maximillian's design took some inspiration from Ned Kelly's armour, myself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKsj-XYWRIs

This is mainly horrifying because of the cavalier deployment of mineral cancer, but there’s a bonus at 13:50 “at sea, ships of the American merchant marine are the safest afloat”.

My, how times change.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A friend of mine was a Peacekeeper in the aftermath of the Yugoslavian civil war. He said that after they confiscated weapons for destruction, they liked to have fun with them, like firing some kind of AK clone at full auto until the wooden hand guard caught on fire.

It doesn't seem so outlandish now, looking at how hot even that barrel is glowing.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

gently caress these assholes. The machinegun is already a waste, but they're deliberately making it trash.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OERZBoUfHY8

“If these techniques provoke a smile today, what will our present techniques look like fifty years from now?”

“On the job, too, the asbestos mix requires no special handling.”

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ninurta posted:

gently caress these assholes. The machinegun is already a waste, but they're deliberately making it trash.

I think it was a deliberate stress test on the suppressor, they wanted to know how much it would take before it blew up. And the gun probably just needed a new barrel, which is a thing they're designed for. Not sure the rancor is warranted.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Der Shovel posted:

A friend of mine was a Peacekeeper in the aftermath of the Yugoslavian civil war. He said that after they confiscated weapons for destruction, they liked to have fun with them, like firing some kind of AK clone at full auto until the wooden hand guard caught on fire.

It doesn't seem so outlandish now, looking at how hot even that barrel is glowing.

There's a channel that's all about melting AKs that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSkFYI_TaWA

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Using an asbestos mix to lag pipes is what killed my uncle. :( He only did it twice, while he was working in a prison. He said they called it "Monkey Muck". From what I remember, he got compensations because he did it under government employment, the prisoner who did it with him didn't.

Miserable way to go.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FEED ME ISOLATION CARTS

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Even a child can tell that that shape peg won't fit in that shape hole.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Memento posted:

I think it was a deliberate stress test on the suppressor, they wanted to know how much it would take before it blew up. And the gun probably just needed a new barrel, which is a thing they're designed for. Not sure the rancor is warranted.

Also they’re manufacturers so even if the gun itself was somehow damaged it cost them a laughable fraction of what a transferable gun would. Also they’d write it off their taxes as a business expense. Nothing of value was lost here

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nenonen posted:

Even a child can tell that that shape peg won't fit in that shape hole.

I mean... depends how much force you use to push it in.

GET STRONGER MAGNETS!!!!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Arbor industry is based around Climbing with Chainsaws though. and also happens to be the most dangerous industry you can get into.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

A White Guy posted:

The Arbor industry is based around Climbing with Chainsaws though. and also happens to be the most dangerous industry you can get into.

I thought that was underwater welding. Or fishing in the Bering Sea.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought that was underwater welding. Or fishing in the Bering Sea.

Falling trees are the deadliest thing to catch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fishing's the second most dangerous IIRC

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I thought forklifting was number one?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cartoon Man posted:

I thought forklifting was number one?
In the US it's now actually fishing first, then logging then pilots?

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/cfoi.pdf

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's been some incredible OSHA bubbling up in the aviation insanity thread and it's spilled over to be so much worse than we imagined.

Some backstory: An australian software guy with no aviation experience decides to design an airplane from scratch. It has a number of really weird features that are generally avoided for reasons. (canards, no flaps, pusher configuration, a goddamn VW diesel engine...).

In classic overconfident rich guy fashion, he posts videos of all of his development process and gets hyperdefensive to any criticism.

He adopts a Star Citizen business model and takes 1,500 deposits of $2k each towards future kits while soliciting donations on youtube.

He hires and fires two different teams of experienced test pilots.

The second team posted their own hourlong video recently.

BobHoward posted:

Man, you sent me back down this rabbit hole, and what a ride it was.

As you say it appears to be a mod of the Velocity XL, down to reusing parts as-is.

https://www.velocityaircraft.com/xl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF024xnfzAU

So all that stuff where he was declaring the instability was just turbulence in the giant empty wheel wells when the gear is down? The Velocity XL has the same gear and same wheel well, but doesn't wobble around the pattern.

Based on pictures of the Velocity XL and Raptor, he's tweaked the aerodynamic configuration of airfoils, control surfaces, and body shape. With it being overweight, there's probably also weight and balance issues. So he's ripped off a working design and made it look cooler and redesigned it around a theoretically cheaper engine, but it's not stable because he's not an aeronautical engineer and apparently canard configurations are always a bit tricky.

Also sounds like he had some of the same issues with the scale RC model. Instead of fixing and testing in a cycle until everything was resolved, he just kind of guessed what was happening and made changes to the full size aircraft without doing enough work to validate them on the scale model.

But that's just the first few feet of the hole...

He had THESE FUCKIN' GUYS running his flight test program

https://www.wasabiaero.com/contact-us-ii

Literal (ex-)Scaled Composites motherfuckers. Steely eyed test pilot / engineer types. Flew cross country several times to help him make the Raptor into a real airplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnEknj242M

He fired them shortly after the session documented in that video, then took the airplane up without resolving all the things they identified. It seems clear they got the boot because they were telling him things he didn't want to hear.

They're being very restrained about criticizing him, because they had to walk on eggshells just to get him to fix the issues they identified in inspection and test. I think they don't want to burn all bridges and cut off any chance of changing his mind, since it's clear he's a super high risk to kill himself and others. But god drat, that video is just a nonstop whirlwind tour of red flags.

(I recommend watching it all the way through. It's a little rough in parts because they had a technical issue with wifi interference causing mic clicks, but it's so fascinating and information dense.)

Apparently Wasabi is the second set of real test pilots he's fired from the project. I haven't gone that far down the hole, would love it if someone who has can give any pointers.

And here is the ill-advised first flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9a2tGDaHE

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ninurta posted:

lol why

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

shame on an IGA posted:

There's been some incredible OSHA bubbling up in the aviation insanity thread and it's spilled over to be so much worse than we imagined.

Some backstory: An australian software guy with no aviation experience decides to design an airplane from scratch. It has a number of really weird features that are generally avoided for reasons. (canards, no flaps, pusher configuration, a goddamn VW diesel engine...).

In classic overconfident rich guy fashion, he posts videos of all of his development process and gets hyperdefensive to any criticism.

He adopts a Star Citizen business model and takes 1,500 deposits of $2k each towards future kits while soliciting donations on youtube.

He hires and fires two different teams of experienced test pilots.

The second team posted their own hourlong video recently.

And here is the ill-advised first flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H9a2tGDaHE

This is going to end like that project that put wings on a car isn't it :stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You know that urban legend about the car with the JATO bottles embedding in a cliff, Wile E. Coyote style?

That plane is going to hit eighty‐eight knots, travel back in time, and become the source of that legend.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That plane got a classic case of the weeble wobbles.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Haven’t finished the video yet but holy lol within the first 2 minutes “you’ll notice I forgot to fully close the door...I can’t be perfect all the time”. Amazing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to make the case for an airframe parachute, but that guy is full of himself to ever pull the handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

"bolts aren't even straight, they came like that with a slight bend"

engineer's like "oh...hrm..." listening to the guy who's explaining why he put bullshit parts in his airplane but refuses to change them.

e, also lol "so it'll make 3400 on the ground" "it's rated at that" "so you haven't tried it?" "well it's rated..."

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 22, 2020