Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
In my viewing of it, Gregtech has a surprising amount in common with Terrafirmacraft: both are huge changes to the focus and meat of the game, and both are so involved and make existing processes so much more difficult that you have to be a very specific kind of nerd to enjoy them. If you are that kind of nerd, though, you'll probably get lost in it for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

That checks out. I was really into TFC for a while too. I just found some of the tedium around finding biomes to be a bit much. I might check it out again with that updated version people were talking up itt a while back

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
re: the launcher issue:

Vib Rib posted:

I started playing a pack called Heavens of Sorcery, which starts off in a peaceful, no-mob-spawn skyblock and expands to other dimensions while still letting you use your skyblock base as a sort of pocket dimension, which I like a lot. It skips sifting, SkyResources, Ex Nihilo, etc. and goes with some odd but relatively agreeable early resource generation and the main focus is on magic mods rather than tech mods. I'm not far into it so I'm not really sure what my opinion is yet, but it does have a lot of cool mods in it I haven't seen before, like one that adds instanced dungeons you run through to kill monsters, dodge traps, and grab loot, and then at the end there's a portal home. Another, which I'd like to see made standard, increases stack sizes to 8,192. Wizardry is a very stylish and well presented magic mod that let me down a bit because all the spell effects seem wildly unhelpful or situational, and despite pushing itself as a successor to Ars Magica I can't think of many situations I'd want to use almost any of these spells.

is this pack on gdlauncher, because the link to it from earlier in the thread was for the curseforge version

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

President Ark posted:

is this pack on gdlauncher, because the link to it from earlier in the thread was for the curseforge version

I think GDLauncher looks at curseforge too.
Mainly the problem is that the Twitch client is going to stop working for minecraft and WoW mods, and Overwolf is going to release a dedicated app as a replacement. Do not use it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

President Ark posted:

GDLauncher is able to browse and import Curseforge packs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dragonshardz posted:

GDLauncher is able to browse and import Curseforge packs.
So is MultiMC!

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of MultiMC, it now has the ability to pick up Technic packs so basically you should play Blightfall, John Lee.

mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010
I'm coming back to minecraft after a few years and know nothing about modding: are there any good mods for making the geography more interesting?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mismatch tea posted:

I'm coming back to minecraft after a few years and know nothing about modding: are there any good mods for making the geography more interesting?

I was poking around the other day just a little. It looks like OTG with the Realistic Terrain Generator is still the common way to go. There's some Terraforged mod now too for 1.15.2 but I'm still lingering in 1.12.2 so it's a no-go.

My old favorite was ATG and I found out that last Spring that somebody ported it to 1.12.2.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.worldpainter.net/ if you wanna build it yourself.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/java-edition-moving-house
Heh.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I still don't understand how Forge can't use cache files and lists properly. I'm playing a pack with an 8 minute load time on every run and the vast majority of it is building recipe lists, cached item info, etc. There is no goddamn reason it needs to do this every time I boot the pack. Just don't do it unless a mod changes. Or hell put a manual switch in or something. You built all this info the last time you booted! I guarantee you it's the same!
Why is this like this and how has it never been fixed?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

I'm working with worldpainter right now to make a modded world for a server. Fair warning: worldpainter is basically just another way of playing minecraft and it can be one heck of a time sink/creative hobby if you gel with it.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

I still don't understand how Forge can't use cache files and lists properly. I'm playing a pack with an 8 minute load time on every run and the vast majority of it is building recipe lists, cached item info, etc. There is no goddamn reason it needs to do this every time I boot the pack. Just don't do it unless a mod changes. Or hell put a manual switch in or something. You built all this info the last time you booted! I guarantee you it's the same!
Why is this like this and how has it never been fixed?

LexManos doesn't have a problem with it, ergo it's not worth caring about, something something "do it the right way" something something.

It hasn't been fixed because gently caress you, it's Forge. What the hell else are you going to use?

(Please ignore Fabric lurking in the background)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a non-insane explanation of why Overwolf is so bad floating around somewhere? All I can find is people complaining about the overlays in GW2 / Rainbow 6, or idiots on reddit just being like ITS MALWARE over and over without any sort of actual details on wtf.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

As I understand, Overwolf aggressively scrapes data to sell when you use it, and I think has been called out in the past for edging beyond what is considered legal in that sphere.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Oh boy.

quote:

No specific announcements have been made yet regarding third party launcher compatibility, we'll have to wait and see - but considering the focus is on security, it may simply not be possible for launchers like MultiMC to proceed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Between Overwolf and third party launchers probably not working anymore, this might kill off minecraft modding or at least a major portion of it.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

From a Mojang's Minecraft Launcher QA account down thread.

quote:

We have no plans to change requirements based on the migration. You should still be able to play on Linux; we will simply be bringing the Microsoft login functionality to Linux.

Third party launchers will have to adapt to the new sign-in flow. If they support Linux or not it's up to them, however Mojang is looking into helping them adopt to this new change.

They'll just have to adapt the same sign-in systems that third party apps already do with regards to MS accounts. Mojang is very aware of how the modding community works, like half their dev team are former modders now, and they wouldn't have agreed with anything if it was going to disrupt the modding community too much. I mean, in the dumb youtube video about this they released they made it very clear that it won't affect the modding community, would be dumb for them to make that statement and then go "except mod pack launchers".

I'm actually more concerned that there may be issues with people getting locked out of their accounts because of false reports against their MS account.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 22, 2020

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
at least password resets are going to be a whole lot simpler

Khorne
May 1, 2002
MultiMc is an apt example to give because the developer refused to support newer MC versions because they didn't fit his very static, preferred way of launching minecraft.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Enzer posted:

I'm actually more concerned that there may be issues with people getting locked out of their accounts because of false reports against their MS account.

This too. Boy, all it takes is one incident like this to make one acutely aware of how little ownership any of us have of the game, in spite of all the mods, skins, launchers, etc.

mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was poking around the other day just a little. It looks like OTG with the Realistic Terrain Generator is still the common way to go. There's some Terraforged mod now too for 1.15.2 but I'm still lingering in 1.12.2 so it's a no-go.

My old favorite was ATG and I found out that last Spring that somebody ported it to 1.12.2.

Thanks! Checked out terraforged, it looks like just what I was looking for!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mismatch tea posted:

Thanks! Checked out terraforged, it looks like just what I was looking for!

I haven't tried it myself due to so much stuff still hovering at 1.12.2. I wondered if it performs well. The OTG Realistic plugin will go in slow little spurts.

If underground is of interest, then there looks like some new cave mods but I have to check them. I think they are kind of eating ATG's lunch when it comes to cave systems now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Patware posted:

As I understand, Overwolf aggressively scrapes data to sell when you use it, and I think has been called out in the past for edging beyond what is considered legal in that sphere.

https://medium.com/overwolf/what-data-does-overwolf-collect-and-how-can-i-opt-out-47bd94fadb59 Is it like basically what's covered here or is there some actual historical precedent?

GDPR has put a steel toed boot to companies on data collection and handling (I work for a company that handles user data and it totally upended a ton of processes), and nothing they're saying there sounds insane or outside of expected practices.

There's always an overlap between the Linus-torvaldian styles stances of 'Absolute control of my data is the only allowable stance' and gaming, so I'm mostly trying to suss out like 'is there a legitimate concern hat they're *really* distributing malware and harvesting your personal data to sell to other companies, or are they basically doing what most advertising-focused companies do, which is gather a big pile of stuff to say 'hey we want to show ads about moba gaming mice to people playing mobas'.

I think it's fine for everyone to set their own line in the sand, but from someone who is pretty firmly in the middle (Please don't harvest my credit cards, but I almost always opt-into data collection for services I use after reading the ToS) the people in the absolutist camp are essentially poisoning the discussion, IMO.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'll be real, I don't need much reason beyond a lovely overlay to just walk away and go use a different low-footprint launcher that doesn't really gently caress around with things.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Falcon2001 posted:

https://medium.com/overwolf/what-data-does-overwolf-collect-and-how-can-i-opt-out-47bd94fadb59 Is it like basically what's covered here or is there some actual historical precedent?

GDPR has put a steel toed boot to companies on data collection and handling (I work for a company that handles user data and it totally upended a ton of processes), and nothing they're saying there sounds insane or outside of expected practices.

There's always an overlap between the Linus-torvaldian styles stances of 'Absolute control of my data is the only allowable stance' and gaming, so I'm mostly trying to suss out like 'is there a legitimate concern hat they're *really* distributing malware and harvesting your personal data to sell to other companies, or are they basically doing what most advertising-focused companies do, which is gather a big pile of stuff to say 'hey we want to show ads about moba gaming mice to people playing mobas'.

I think it's fine for everyone to set their own line in the sand, but from someone who is pretty firmly in the middle (Please don't harvest my credit cards, but I almost always opt-into data collection for services I use after reading the ToS) the people in the absolutist camp are essentially poisoning the discussion, IMO.

The concern for me isn't so much data harvesting as that Overwolf exists specifically to enable the use of clientside modifications on games that don't otherwise allow them.

It's more of a general "Overwolf sus" vibe than anything else.

E: It's also just...yet another thing with a bunch of extra loving features when all I want is to stack blocks.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Patware posted:

I'll be real, I don't need much reason beyond a lovely overlay to just walk away and go use a different low-footprint launcher that doesn't really gently caress around with things.

Yeah, I suppose that's fair.

dragonshardz posted:

The concern for me isn't so much data harvesting as that Overwolf exists specifically to enable the use of clientside modifications on games that don't otherwise allow them.

It's more of a general "Overwolf sus" vibe than anything else.

E: It's also just...yet another thing with a bunch of extra loving features when all I want is to stack blocks.

It doesn't sound like the launcher is going to be as bloated as the Twitch one though, it's supposed to be stripped down to just curseforge stuff, which is mostly WoW and Minecraft mods/addons.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody played with Yung's Better Caves? I don't think they generated with OTG. I did get an interesting mineshaft entrance but it didn't go very deep and the loot was peculiar. I was kind of hoping I'd dig down and wind up in some crazy cavern ecosystem, but it looked pretty vanilla.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody played with Yung's Better Caves? I don't think they generated with OTG. I did get an interesting mineshaft entrance but it didn't go very deep and the loot was peculiar. I was kind of hoping I'd dig down and wind up in some crazy cavern ecosystem, but it looked pretty vanilla.
Yes. You get giant, never-ending caves with some weird water level as you get closer to bedrock. It's a very cool and good mod. Especially if you've played a ton of minecraft because caving speeds up initial ore collection significantly compared to digging through a bunch of rocks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

Yes. You get giant, never-ending caves with some weird water level as you get closer to bedrock.
I guess it didn't generate with the OTG generator then. I figured it would have been really obvious something was different.

There's a Reddit post where they're saying it's compatible so I figured I was good-to-go. Then again, I found this on Curseforge:

quote:

Note: When updating be sure to delete OTG-Core.jar from the 1.12.2 folder or it will not be updated.

I might not have it set up properly then.

Edit: It looks like things improved when I removed that OTG-Core.jar. I got a pretty big pit nearly right under where I decided to start, although I haven't gotten a robust cave network.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 23, 2020

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've got YUNG's on my server and it's completely replaced vanilla cavegen pretty dramatically. Near the surface is pretty weird, the cave structures form like waves and folds of stone, and then deeper down there's enormous caverns and underground biomes and such. I love the underground lakes. (of water, not lava)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My partner and I love to play Minecraft together, but her favorite modpack was Blightfall, she says she loved the exploration side of it, and slowly winning back the world from corruption, is there anything recent / 1.12.2 that is like that, we've never played a skyblock or anything simpler, the closest we've got to a "story" pack is ATM3 or Minecraft Eternal.

Are there skyblocks that are more exploration based? What's your favorite modpack with a progression.

Idk how to even ask what I'm trying to ask really, so any suggestions would be good.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

There’s Regrowth which is also an old 1.7 mod pack but there’s sadly no exploration of elements.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

My partner and I love to play Minecraft together, but her favorite modpack was Blightfall, she says she loved the exploration side of it, and slowly winning back the world from corruption, is there anything recent / 1.12.2 that is like that, we've never played a skyblock or anything simpler, the closest we've got to a "story" pack is ATM3 or Minecraft Eternal.

Are there skyblocks that are more exploration based? What's your favorite modpack with a progression.

Idk how to even ask what I'm trying to ask really, so any suggestions would be good.

Most of the Material Energy modpacks have exploration and story. They're not open world though; they use the AE2 spacial storage system to allow you to explore uh... custom structures, let's say. I don't think there's anything other than Blightfall that had a fully custom open world.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a big fan of Forever Stranded and Forever Stranded: Lost Souls but they're more survival than exploration. The latter requires a fair amount of it, but not in the same way Blightfall does.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I always feel like an idiot when it comes to multi-player modpacks. Is there an easy to way set up a server on my machine and have a friend connect? Every time I start looking into it, I fight with it a bit and then give up. I was looking at hosting Heavens of Sorcery. Maybe All the Mods 6, which I just started tinkering with.

Still super impressed with the Seus shaders, too. Any other ones along that vein?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

I've got YUNG's on my server and it's completely replaced vanilla cavegen pretty dramatically. Near the surface is pretty weird, the cave structures form like waves and folds of stone, and then deeper down there's enormous caverns and underground biomes and such. I love the underground lakes. (of water, not lava)

Hey if you happen to have JourneyMap or something with underground mapping: could you take a sample image of what it looks like underground? I want to think I got it here but I basically just got a big pit underground without any really interesting connections. I'm trying to figure out if it's really doing anything. OTG claims it's compatible but I am second-guessing.

Having a base beside a large, underground lake has a lot of allure.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Hey if you happen to have JourneyMap or something with underground mapping: could you take a sample image of what it looks like underground? I want to think I got it here but I basically just got a big pit underground without any really interesting connections. I'm trying to figure out if it's really doing anything. OTG claims it's compatible but I am second-guessing.

Having a base beside a large, underground lake has a lot of allure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mismatch tea
Nov 1, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I haven't tried it myself due to so much stuff still hovering at 1.12.2. I wondered if it performs well. The OTG Realistic plugin will go in slow little spurts.

I haven't noticed any performance impact, except indirectly in that it tends to make some wide-open vistas so I cranked up my view distance.