Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Imagine living through the occupation and then being offed by the Pakleds of all people. Bet the prophets didn’t see that one coming.

They’ve grown aggressive. Adversarial.

I actually think the conversation at the end of this episode was an extremely valid point (Starfleet is good at exploring, not maintaining, and the Pakleds becoming a real threat/the Betans following the evil computer are blatant evidence towards this concept).

They mentioned in one of the interviews that they're going to be exploring this in more depth next season, and I personally think that's an extremely solid concept to base a season of Trek around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Martytoof posted:

Imagine living through the occupation and then being offed by the Pakleds of all people. Bet the prophets didn’t see that one coming.

They’ve grown aggressive. Adversarial.

Why do you exist here?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would like to see them go back to some of the TNG one-off planets to see what happened in the decade or so since the Enterprise left

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

I would like to see them go back to some of the TNG one-off planets to see what happened in the decade or so since the Enterprise left

It seemed pretty strongly implied by the season finale that that was going to be the show's main thrust going forward, which is a supremely clever way to cash in on the nostalgia without it seeming like pointless fan-service.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Since they brought up Roga Danar in that one episode of this season, maybe they can go back to Angosia

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not a planet, but I hope they talk to the Tamarians again.

Boimler, his nose browned.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Well I binge-watched LD and it was brilliant i loved every goddamn minute of it.

Finally some good Star Trek.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

They need to go back to the Planet of the Big Women Who Want to Bang Riker.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

Not a planet, but I hope they talk to the Tamarians again.

Boimler, his nose browned.

An entire episode of Tamarians dunking on Boims. An excellent episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OB_Juan posted:

An entire episode of Tamarians dunking on Boims. An excellent episode.

Bradward, when his pants fell.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Lower decks is genuinely entertaining and you can tell it was written by a fan. Loved the spock helmet falling out of the walls.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Go back to Veridian 3 and see if it was worth Kirks life.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Go back to Earth at see O'Brien at Starfleet academy. Then let Colm Meany just swaer up a storm.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He already got to say bollocks and bloody on DS9. What other swears are there for him?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Amvrt_Zog

ETA: It's worth noting that I come from the area that a lot of these are filmed in. I used to see Roddy Doyle picking his kids up from my school. The level of casual cursing we use is the kind of thing that America goes apeshit over.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 22, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Oim leavin' Molly. Oim sick of ya, yer a pain in the arse!
Tell yer feckin' mother oim runnin' off with that Cardy twas givin' me the eye.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I actually think the conversation at the end of this episode was an extremely valid point (Starfleet is good at exploring, not maintaining, and the Pakleds becoming a real threat/the Betans following the evil computer are blatant evidence towards this concept).

They mentioned in one of the interviews that they're going to be exploring this in more depth next season, and I personally think that's an extremely solid concept to base a season of Trek around

Many years back, I read an interview with a couple TNG writers who mentioned an abandoned script where the Enterprise-D crew would return to the planet from "A Piece of the Action," only to find that the locals had patterned their society around 23rd century Starfleet. Might make for a good standalone LD episode.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Arc Light posted:

Many years back, I read an interview with a couple TNG writers who mentioned an abandoned script where the Enterprise-D crew would return to the planet from "A Piece of the Action," only to find that the locals had patterned their society around 23rd century Starfleet. Might make for a good standalone LD episode.

oh man, before that the idea was published in this book

i haven't thought of worlds of the federation in yeeeeeeears... wonder how silly it would read now

edit: oh drat i forgot that this book assumed that Cochrane was intended to be a humanoid alien from Alpha Centauri, and not a human who warped to Alpha Centauri in the first human FTL ship, wild

Crusader fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 22, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The book is supposed to be about Federation members....but half of the ones on the cover are not?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

The book is supposed to be about Federation members....but half of the ones on the cover are not?

yeah on the back it mentions they also include non-aligned and hostile worlds

oops:

edit: found the sigma iotia entry

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

'Convinced the computer system' is certainly a good euphemism for logicing the computer to death

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Kirk's logs are full of that kind of stuff.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Arc Light posted:

IIRC that was one of the ideas mooted for DS9 before they went with Trials and Tribblations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
finally watching the new disco

i'm really, really trying to give this a shot. this is their chance to wipe the slate and do whatever they want.

apparently what they want is late era russel t davies dr. who?

this dialogue is, in the words of mst3k, Deep Hurting.

edit: the character at the end who sat at a desk and wasted 40 years of his life doing absolutely nothing was a profound self-insert from the writing team

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 22, 2020

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zaroff posted:

IIRC that was one of the ideas mooted for DS9 before they went with Trials and Tribblations.

I choose to read only the first half of that sentence and imagine a 7 season run of DS9 where instead of Bajor they were orbiting a mobster planet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
New episode is up. Decent, but I’m happy that next week they’re finally getting on with the plot of what the hell happened in the last 930 years.

- I’m not one to criticize Discovery for excessive gore and I think in the past the reaction has been really overblown, but having Georgiou’s boots literally covered in pieces of Leland and then showing a guy shoveling his gooey remains into a trash can was hosed up and so unnecessary.
- Guns seem really inefficient in the future.
- I’m glad Reno is still part of the crew, her scenes with Stamets were probably the best part of the episode.
- I was already tired of Georgiou last season and if her entire purpose this season will just be to provide an “evil” ruthless foil to Saru, then I can’t wait for her to gently caress off back to the past for the S31 show.

That’s really all I can think to bring up. Kind of a nothing episode when you have so much interesting poo poo still waiting to be explored and explained.

Also:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: I dunno, I’m on drugs

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New episode is up. Decent, but I’m happy that next week they’re finally getting on with the plot of what the hell happened in the last 930 years.

- I’m not one to criticize Discovery for excessive gore and I think in the past the reaction has been really overblown, but having Georgiou’s boots literally covered in pieces of Leland and then showing a guy shoveling his gooey remains into a trash can was hosed up and so unnecessary.
- Guns seem really inefficient in the future.
- I’m glad Reno is still part of the crew, her scenes with Stamets were probably the best part of the episode.
- I was already tired of Georgiou last season and if her entire purpose this season will just be to provide an “evil” ruthless foil to Saru, then I can’t wait for her to gently caress off back to the past for the S31 show.

That’s really all I can think to bring up. Kind of a nothing episode when you have so much interesting poo poo still waiting to be explored and explained.

Also:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: I dunno, I’m on drugs

i agree with a lot of this. they really would have benefitted from releasing the first 3 episodes at first. how many episodes is this season supposed to be?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ramadu posted:

i agree with a lot of this. they really would have benefitted from releasing the first 3 episodes at first. how many episodes is this season supposed to be?

Wikipedia says 13, 14 if you count the two parter, "Terra Firma", so about on par with the first two seasons.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jake Weber is a good actor; hope to see him in future episodes.

Next week looks interesting.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ramadu posted:

how many episodes is this season supposed to be?

11 more episodes to go.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Seemlar posted:

The data was completely merged with Discovery's systems and already using the ships own defenses to block all attempts to scuttle it, it's safe to assume it would just refuse to accept orders to fly into the nearest sun

Send it million years into the future, done

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

So, should I assume that Control has somehow weaseled it’s way into Detmer’s cyborg implants or something?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
God how underwhelming. But at least it isn't any worse than last season (so far). Ho-fuckin-hum.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Have we heard about Lower Decks being renewed?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Have we heard about Lower Decks being renewed?

yeah they're already planning season 2

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of all the media that could pivot me from "Dude I love Michelle Yeoh! I can't wait to see her in this!" to "I pretty much never want to see Michelle Yeoh again, thanks", I never thought it would be Star Trek.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was...fine.

Was good to see Discovery itself again, but also felt like a bit of an inconsequential episode overall.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

You know what the show really needed after a giant time skip? Another time skip. It's just genius writing really, Kurtzman has assembled TV's greatest gaggle of moron EP's and script frauds and we're basking in their glory.

Saru remains good but one episode in and i'm already done with him and Georgiou spouting ideals at each other. It's just boring. Control living on through whatshername cyborg ladys head thing is also incredibly boring.

Show me more of that huge cat. Disco Cat will be enough to get me through these joyless hours of television.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Not sure why Saru doesn’t just tell Giorgio to gently caress off back to her room. She’s not in the ship’s chain of command and has no business being anywhere decisions are made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Retrowave Joe posted:

Not sure why Saru doesn’t just tell Giorgio to gently caress off back to her room. She’s not in the ship’s chain of command and has no business being anywhere decisions are made.

reading the thread instead of watching S3 and it looks like it's going how I thought it'd go