Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Wittgen posted:

She's not exactly wrong. No one has to be there for someone who's mean to them. But she's not exactly right either. A comrade in arms suffering from PTSD lashed out at her with the express purpose of pushing her away. Acting like Tess is asking Rue to manage her emotions isn't particularly admirable.

To be clear, I'm not really criticizing Rue here. It's mostly funny that someone who feels very confident they see through the government's manipulations can not see through the paper thin manipulation of a traumatized teen. It has some resonance with what I see looking at irl conspiracy theorists prone to ranting about big government.

I think it's a big assumption that she isn't not seeing through it. Or that it even matters that it's manipulation! Because while yes, it's manipulation, more importantly it's Being A Huge rear end in a top hat.

It's like the old "haha I was just pretending to be an idiot" meme, after a point, why should you care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Being manipulative is actually way more of a red flag than just saying something that's lovely on its face. Tess is trying to play mind games and Rue's not having any of it.

Tess definitely needs care she's not getting, but Rue's not in a position to give that care.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I don’t think anyone’s saying she should.

I do think Rue is, y’know, a conspiracy-minded teen and we should keep that in mind before we assume she’s totally emotionally on top of things; At the very least I think it would be good for somebody to contact the people Tess is close to (which is generally known, like Undine) and let them know she’s clearly spiraling, but I don’t expect Rue to because she’s a teenager and avoids contact with other magical girls because of conspiracy reasoning.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I can’t even begin to focus on the rest of the comic cause I’m still thinking about Harolds v. Clemens. Is there a magical girl court? Are the judges also magical girls? When is the Magical Girl Court spinoff?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Magical Girls probably get some sort of legal immunity for the stuff they do fighting monsters. At least, back in chapter 1 when Undine was worried about property damage she didn't seem to be worrying about consequences for them. And it would fit in with how they're treated generally.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm assuming Harold v Clemens involved a dead magical girl's family suing the city for some form of negligence, based on what little context we got.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Or people who didn't get enough magical girl coverage or weren't able to properly evacuate their house.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Or people who didn't get enough magical girl coverage or weren't able to properly evacuate their house.

side note i hope we see Silvia's family at some point and that they're not screwed out of the money their daughter died for

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

rannum posted:

side note i hope we see Silvia's family at some point and that they're not screwed out of the money their daughter died for

hey you never know, they could be complete scumbags like Hillary Swank's family in Million Dollar Baby

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

From the latest Kill Six Billion Demons, I immediately thought of Goops:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Adventures of Goop & Bloop.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

thanks to mutual wrong turns, goops winds up at rayuba while incubus winds up in the sleepless domain city that i dont think has a name

shenanigans ensue

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

rannum posted:

thanks to mutual wrong turns, goops winds up at rayuba while incubus winds up in the sleepless domain city that i dont think has a name

shenanigans ensue

Incubus shows up in dreams and gives people power, while he likes to be dressed in a white robe.

Kinda reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on it. Keeps slipping my mind...

nimby fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 19, 2020

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

nimby posted:

Incubus shows up in dreams and gives people power, while he likes to be dressed in a white robe.

Kinda reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on it. Keeps slipping my mind...

We already know he also has an alternative feminine forum he can use in dreams as well...

This is how fanfiction happens

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
:siren:New Strip is up.:siren:

I assume they're finally going to let the Club know about Goops?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Yeah, probably.

Which is starkly different from what Bud is expecting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
“I thought you were going to tell us that you’re dating.

“You know about that?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Zoe will probably be here for this too, which lets this plot point [eventualy] intersect with Rue, who is probably the only other girl who's definitely seen any part of goops (much less directly commanding a monster)

everything's coming together

maltesh
May 20, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

“I thought you were going to tell us that you’re dating.

“You know about that?

Odds on a custom banner in the clubroom?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I found some fan art thats definitely going to wind up being a spoiler, I mean Cagle is from Texas after all.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If Bud really does know the whole situation somehow then I shall be forced to sit up sharply from my chair.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Go Home

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I guess this kind of confirms the scar-faced teacher was formerly a magical girl? Or at least that her students believe so, which seems like the sort of thing you don't lie about.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I dunno, students make all kinds of dumb assumptions about their teachers.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I feel like it would make sense that the teachers would be former magical girls

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah at least a few who age outta the program are bound to wind up working in the Magical Girl Sector.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
In this particular instance I don't think it's all that unreasonable to think she might have been a magical girl, but I don't think the fact that a kid is assuming it makes it any better of an assumption.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yes, she could just be a non magical girl who was attacked by a monster. Might even have gotten a job because of the injury. But yes I suspect they have a post power loss job program for them.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Didn't really take a close look at her until now, but it seems like whatever made the scar also took out her right eye, and it's a prosthetic in the socket now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I’m not sure it’s a prosthetic but she definitely can’t open that eyelid as far as the other.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Starship Troopers vibe where the teachers are horribly maimed from their time in a never-ending war they're sending the students out into.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Starship Troopers vibe where the teachers are horribly maimed from their time in a never-ending war they're sending the students out into.

My thoughts exactly. "Magical Girls made me the woman I am today!"

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
The weight room is a memorial weight room. Even the swolest magical girls can still fall.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Kennel posted:

Starship Troopers was a little weird, in hindsight. Starts out as an anti-war movie mocking fascism / authoritarianism and in the end everyone is cheering for xenophobia and total war. I'm fairly hopeful that Sleepless Domain isn't going to stumble down such a route, though. if anything, I see it going the other direction: Cheering for magical girl law and order at first, and then unraveling the systemic issues that lie beneath the deadly conflict.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Griddle of Love posted:

Starship Troopers was a little weird, in hindsight. Starts out as an anti-war movie mocking fascism / authoritarianism and in the end everyone is cheering for xenophobia and total war.

....that's the point, you're not supposed to be cheering along with them lmao

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Starship Troopers suffers from the problem that it's extremely hard to make a satirical/anti-war movie that will not be taken on face value by many people who just loving love all the worst poo poo about wars.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

“It’s probably impossible to make an effective anti-war film that heavily features war” is the growing consensus largely thanks to films like Full Metal Jacket and Starship Troopers. Audiences love the boot too much to comprehend.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

I liked Starship Troopers better when someone told me to view it as an in-universe propaganda piece to justify and explain a war that is going much worse than the Earthside authorities claim, and rationalize the things that they can't cover up: The destruction of Buenos Aries by enemy action, the massive losses at Klendathu and subsequent resignation of the Sky Marshall. Everything else ranges between "inspired by true events" and outright lies.

So of course it goes "rah-rah we'll win in the end." It wouldn't get approval for release if it didn't.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Kennel posted:

Tell Me More.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Captain Oblivious posted:

“It’s probably impossible to make an effective anti-war film that heavily features war” is the growing consensus largely thanks to films like Full Metal Jacket and Starship Troopers. Audiences love the boot too much to comprehend.

Good news, there's at least one film that avoids that problem! :shepicide: