Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah just never give anyone advice, if someone has zero map awareness then "be careful" is just meaningless. I just figure they're AI wall-humper players.

Danger pings are generally worth a shot, but if they ignore those and get ganked by a team rotating up to their position there's probably nothing you could type into chat that would help. More often than not it will just start an argument, meaning people will be spending time typing back and forth rather than trying to claw their way back into the game and you'll fall even further behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My policy is to only offer advice in doomed games that have no hope of recovery because it's extremely unlikely that the advice is going to be received well

I have been pleasantly surprised in the past, however, and even managed to pull some wins out of nowhere because of it

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Mierenneuker posted:

There is no way to say something like “play more carefully” without sounding like an rear end in a top hat, no matter how good you intentions are and how you phrase it. It’s a mistake to even try to attempt it. Encouragement does not exist when playing MOBAs with random people, everything you say will be interpreted as an attempt to say “hey, it’s not my fault we (might) lose!”

I go over the top to sugarcoat my commands to teamates. We can win the objective if we get there before it spawns and control the area. I'm going to use my ult early, be ready to follow up so we can 100%->0% someone before the fight starts.

I'm going bot to kill the 2x siege camp pushing the lane, don't dive into a full teamfight when we are not together!

I will hide in vents and use my vision skill while you turn in coins. Watch out for a gank!

People get mad less frequently than if I directly told them what they are doing wrong. There are still some people that get mad, but those dudes are like specifically playing the game to get mad? They aren't even happy when they win.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Don't forget, when you click to ping something you can drag the mouse to specify what you are pinging.

This area is not safe!

I am not my way to this area!

I want to defend this area!

We should retreat from this area!

If nothing else, try to memorize that ping (alt+click) but drag right before releasing is "I am on my way to [ping location]" and this encourages people to look at the map / not commit to a fight RIGHT NOW if you are gonna be there in 5 seconds.

You can also ping your own skill buttons to message the team "my ult is off cooldown" or "my ult will be ready in 10 seconds" Or even "I am not ready to cast [support skill]" so your team don't dive too hard and blame you for not healing/unstoppable-ing them.

You can also ping your health/mana bar from the lower left to display to people that you have X% life or mana. This, with the ability ping above, is great as a healer. In the middle of a fight, people can lose track of your mana/cooldowns. Pinging "I (Malfurion) have 2% mana! I do not have enough mana to cast Regrowth! I cannot use Innervate for 14 seconds! Retreat from this area! Is far more effective than just making regular alert pings.

If you are dead, you can ping your portrait in the score bar at the top of the screen. It will send a message that you will respawn in X seconds. This is great for when you are almost respawned but your team is about to make a bad engage without you. Guys, wait 5 seconds! I want to defend top keep!

Once you get the feel for it, this is all way faster than using voice or text chat and that's a big help in frantic teamfights. It also reinforces the fact that you should be aware of the rest of your team, watching the map, etc. and not just moving your guy towards the bad guy on the screen so you can attack them.

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

The warning is great for pointing out rotations and ganks. I usually do a couple in a line leading to whomever is about to get reamed and they almost always listen. It's fun to see the obvious rotation and have their entire team just move up to an empty lane while we're shoving in another.

This is just in QM though; I like trying to make things work with whatever terrible comp the game gives us. It makes for some magical moments that you don't get in ranked.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

You can also bind the individual ping messages to their own button which makes it even quicker, I find a quick spam of three Danger pings in a line indicating where an enemy's heading gets the message across quite well.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

My secret comm haxx is to bind the ping ring to Middle Mouse so I can make relevant pings with a flick of the wrist.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

My secret comm haxx is to bind the ping ring to Middle Mouse so I can make relevant pings with a flick of the wrist.

that's my touch to speak button tho

If I had a fancy rear end mouse with tiny little side buttons I would use one of those, but I don't

and alt+click is just ingrained into my moba memory after years of HoN and Dota

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Had a match as Thrall with two leavers. I got somewhere around ~150 stacks of Maelstrom Weapon quest, and was hitting for 710 damage per autoattack by the time we pushed their core in. I got to shut down their Alex over and over. When they tried to use dragon form, I would cast Sunder to stun them out of the cast time, then Windfury and nearly 100->0 them in 3 swings (third swing hits three times at 75% damage).

MGDRAGOON
May 28, 2003

What you say!?!

Hit a couple of milestones simultaneously today!

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Those shoes always bothered me, should be flip flops. :colbert:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah lol why's she wearing yeesys

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

WITCHCRAFT posted:

They aren't even happy when they win.

Jokes on you, that's every game of HOTS for me.

I exclusively play quickmatch so YMMV- but the thing that gets me is when people start mumbling "let them win" by level 10 and dancing at the core. NO! I'm going to drag you to victory kicking and screaming, Marlon Rando! Coincidentally the same people who will bail from a team fight at the first sign of trouble, spend 10s trying to run away, and die anyhow, thereby doing nothing but increasing their death timer by 10s.

I've had some really fun comebacks, especially on maps like Towers of Doom, so it always rives me nuts when people are so willing to give up and go back to watching Netflix or whatever they multitask while playing this dead gay game.

OTOH.. I pretty regularly get nerds dropping "reported for toxic, enjoy your ban :smuggo:" in team chat. :ohdear: can't wait until the one intern working on this game finally bans me and I can be free of this prison.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I would have thought that ARAM becoming a "standard" match type might decrease the number of players that give up / leave / troll in the middle of a match because "it's already over just let them win"

ARAM can be extremely swingy, and certain 16/20 level talents can be an absolute game changer even if you were getting your poo poo pushed in the whole time before. A team with 2 late game carries can make a huge comeback in ARAM.

My favorite ARAM story was playing as Nova, it was 50 minutes long and by that time any single hero dying felt like that might be the end of it. I took the double Precision Strike 20 talent, and it shut down any pushes on its own.

I wish I had known then Precision Strike damages buildings, I could have slowly solo'd their core from safety in a match that long.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I wish I had known then Precision Strike damages buildings, I could have slowly solo'd their core from safety in a match that long.

I did this once, it was satisfying just slowly chipping away while the stalemate went on.

I've stopped playing ARAM now myself because I don't enjoy the mode, but I'm glad it exists for those who enjoy it. And more importantly, there's no more stupid flashing star on my mode select screen. That was why I played it every week, not for the chest but to get rid of that stupid notification.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ARAM is basically the only healthy game mode anymore. It's just as much of a total grab-bag as QM is, but at least you can wave off a player being totally useless with "Well, maybe they got stuck with a hero they're not good at."

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I find the team comp is better in ARAM. People will Usually try to pick what's needed. If they don't, oh well, its only 10 minutes and you might still win anyway.

If the QM matchmaker gives you a lovely team, it feels more miserable to me. Even worse than when dudes go double Murky in aram for the memes and never break 10k damage.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I would have thought that ARAM becoming a "standard" match type might decrease the number of players that give up / leave / troll in the middle of a match because "it's already over just let them win"
I've gotten a few of these in ARAM. In one game, I complimented my teammate's build and he immediately responded "gently caress you." I get why people are defensive in games like this but it feels like people are always at a 10

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Just wish there was more guidance to people about how much a level disadvantage matters. Watching your team dancing like they’re gonna get a pick at -2 levels, when all they’re really doing is setting them up to retain or increase that level disparity is... vexing.

Likewise, death to the stupid ‘All 5 at mid L1’ nonsense, where you duel for first blood that is worth so little a minute on the other lands would outpace it trivially.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

Shockeh posted:

Likewise, death to the stupid ‘All 5 at mid L1’ nonsense, where you duel for first blood that is worth so little a minute on the other lands would outpace it trivially.

I use to hate this as well but now I just embrace it and charge in as well, if you do die it means little and if you get a gank or more then it greatly boosts team morale. It is also great when you need to get hits for quests.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Played a game recently where we got 3 kills in the first minute, soaked XP well, got to 10 first and first curse... and still lost because their team fight comp was much better than ours after 10.

So, yeah, Ults probably matter much more than whatever happens in the first few minutes if you can’t punish and push in the lanes far enough. I think only Braxis Holdout is the only map where you can definitely win early, maybe Tomb?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shockeh posted:

People do this in the early game because of quest stacks and because if you wipe the enemy team then you can get some towers and maybe even a Keep (which, the sooner you get it, the bigger of a deal it is).

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Kith posted:

People do this in the early game because of quest stacks and because if you wipe the enemy team then you can get some towers and maybe even a Keep (which, the sooner you get it, the bigger of a deal it is).

I feel this only supports my point, because if you don’t, and go to all three lanes (and the one with 5 of them in plays ‘safe’) you’ll outpace them, they can’t wipe you because you’re not there, they can’t quest stack because you’re not there, and there’s no way outside of a Li-Ming/Hammer/Chromie setup you’re taking the Keep so early.

By the time they pose a threat to the structures, you’re gonna be +1 or even +2, at which point you should welcome them in.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shockeh posted:

I feel this only supports my point, because if you don’t, and go to all three lanes (and the one with 5 of them in plays ‘safe’) you’ll outpace them, they can’t wipe you because you’re not there, they can’t quest stack because you’re not there, and there’s no way outside of a Li-Ming/Hammer/Chromie setup you’re taking the Keep so early.

By the time they pose a threat to the structures, you’re gonna be +1 or even +2, at which point you should welcome them in.

Counterpoint: It's fun.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Shockeh posted:

I'm a dipshit and said Keep instead of Fort.

Anyway, I have a question - how many times have you convinced your teammates to play safely when they could instead be doing something exciting?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Usually I've only had luck with getting them to do something /more/ exciting. Like when we win a decisive team battle, and they run off to a camp instead of the boss. A few retreat spams in front of their face and they'll hopefully come to the boss and push with. But yeah, getting them to soak is a losing battle, might as well do it yourself (as long as you aren't the tank/healer..)

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Kith posted:

I'm a dipshit and said Keep instead of Fort.

Anyway, I have a question - how many times have you convinced your teammates to play safely when they could instead be doing something exciting?

Oh, zero. I’m not even going to consider the possibility, this is a MOBA, I’m not insane. I can wish they would, though.

You can make it happen in your relevant buddy/goon (if there were ever a goon stack any more) stack, because people can be reasoned with, but the randoms you meet in QM only come in Silent sub-AI or Enraged Gamer flavours.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
At some points it is hard to tell when someone is trolling versus just a lovely player even before you get into the absurdly wide MMR range the game thinks is acceptable for matches. I have been on both ends of it where one person on my team died 12+ times and other times where I killed someone on the opposing team 8+ times just by myself.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I die 12 times in Aram because who cares, get hosed up and launch into people.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
They finally buffed azmo so his talents go off if the target of his E dies.

Finally. :unsmith:.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Karma Guard posted:

They finally buffed azmo so his talents go off if the target of his E dies.

Finally. :unsmith:.

Between that and allies never setting up a minion wave to low health for me to clear and get stacks, it could get pretty demoralizing for Azmo. That is a very welcome change.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've never played Azmo much but whatever they did must have improved him. I was in an ARAM yesterday playing him and I had top everything and it was disgusting. If I played with sound I bet I would have been deafened by quest dings. DUNK!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Azmo is the king prince lord of ARAM

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zul'jin, Azmodan, and Kael'thas are basically the Free Wins Squad in ARAM.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
had an amazing match recently, nothing to do with game mechanics etc.

it started with "does liking a Jungle Book character make you a furry?" and then we all spent the rest of the match talking about archaic/prehistoric anthropomorphism, beast headed Egyptian/Mesopotamian gods, Venus of Willendorf

I got to be King Big Dick when I spoke about the syncretism of Uralic shamanism with early Buddhism, and the similarities between Tibetan Buddhism and Mongolian/Siberian folk religion

it was the weirdest match I ever played in HOTS

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
The best games are ones where everyone is chillin and having a good time like that.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

WITCHCRAFT posted:

had an amazing match recently, nothing to do with game mechanics etc.

it started with "does liking a Jungle Book character make you a furry?" and then we all spent the rest of the match talking about archaic/prehistoric anthropomorphism, beast headed Egyptian/Mesopotamian gods, Venus of Willendorf

I got to be King Big Dick when I spoke about the syncretism of Uralic shamanism with early Buddhism, and the similarities between Tibetan Buddhism and Mongolian/Siberian folk religion

it was the weirdest match I ever played in HOTS
Got any screenshots? I need more details.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Yet another example of why HOTS needs an Overwatch-style play of the game feature.

Played three games last night after not touching HOTS for about a month, went 3/3 with Murky. Still the best character. Still feels highly inconsiderate to play as him.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yet another example of why HOTS needs an Overwatch-style play of the game feature.

god please no

the replay system is already an utter loving nightmare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
https://twitter.com/BlizzHeroes/status/1330209363571724292?s=20

We got a hero teaser :toot: