Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there anywhere I can buy Etherfields that aren't from resellers? I know they're fulfilling a Kickstarter but I just heard about this game and I'm wondering if there's somewhere I can order a copy from the publisher or a retailer or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there anywhere I can buy Etherfields that aren't from resellers? I know they're fulfilling a Kickstarter but I just heard about this game and I'm wondering if there's somewhere I can order a copy from the publisher or a retailer or whatever

https://tgg-games.com/ seems to claim it can take extra KS orders - unsure how legit it is

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

https://tgg-games.com/ seems to claim it can take extra KS orders - unsure how legit it is

Hm.. their Kickstarter claims to be closed and the site isn't listing prices unless I log in. I'll look into it though. I don't care if it's Kickstarter or retail, just looking to get a copy 'whenever' it's reasonably available. I know Chip Theory Games and the like will do preorders through them, even after the Kickstarters.

Also, I have a bunch of minis from various games (Gloomhaven, Clank, Anachrony, etc) and I wanted to put a wash effect on them. I don't care to actually paint or otherwise do anything significant with them, but is there a way to easily apply a shaded wash effect like so?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hm.. their Kickstarter claims to be closed and the site isn't listing prices unless I log in. I'll look into it though. I don't care if it's Kickstarter or retail, just looking to get a copy 'whenever' it's reasonably available. I know Chip Theory Games and the like will do preorders through them, even after the Kickstarters.

Also, I have a bunch of minis from various games (Gloomhaven, Clank, Anachrony, etc) and I wanted to put a wash effect on them. I don't care to actually paint or otherwise do anything significant with them, but is there a way to easily apply a shaded wash effect like so?

I literally just messaged TGG Games about Etherfields yesterday. They haven't replied but I'll let you know if I hear anything back from them. I made an account and their prices aren't insane. They may be legit and have just decided that there is a market for ordering a bunch of extra copies of big kickstarter games for resale? It's unclear because there really isn't much info about them online other than some pissed off redditors (at least one of whom did actually still get the products he ordered, just two weeks later than he wanted).

Edit: And re:washes - Games Workshop Citadel Shades are pretty easy to use washes. "Nuln Oil" is a black wash, you can google around for some examples of the effect it has applied to minis. There are other companies that make similar things, like Vallejo. They are all basically very thin paints that naturally accumulate in the recesses. They are pretty simple to use in my experience. You can also find examples where people use thinned ink as a wash, and that works quite well too.

armorer fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 22, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Don't buy Games Workshop paints unless you are a millionaire with nothing better to do with your money. You can make your own washs to get this exact effect by mixing normal hobby store paint and Pledge Floor Gloss:

It's called "liquid talent"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Giving this a bump because I'm working with a couple of people to do something special with it.

Infinitum posted:

:siren::boonie::australia: OPEN CHALLENGE :australia::boonie::siren:
:siren::spooky: TIME TO GET SPOOKY MOTHER FUCKERS :spooky::siren:

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to form a team of Goons to fight me 4 vs 1 in Fury of Dracula; wherein I will proceed to murder the gently caress out of you all as the titular namesake.
You would be incorrect in assuming that this is somehow an unfair fight for me in any way shape or form, as I can assure you Dracula will punch a hole clean through your chest if you are not prepared.

:getin:

Requirements:
- A team of 4 players (I will not help you form the squad!) :siren:
- A copy of Tabletop Simulator
- This Fury of Dracula workshop module

Starting Time
Due to ~time zone nonsense~ It will be in the morning for me, as this time generally works out 'best' globally.
- 10 or 11am AEST (Australian Eastern Standard) November 1st :siren:
- 8 or 9pm EDT
- 5 or 6pm PDT
- 1 or 2am BST
(We can talk about what time works best for people)

Most games will take 2-3+ hours to play, please set aside time for this! :siren:

Streaming
- If someone could stream the event that would be great, as I am lazy and don't want to setup twitch again :v:

How to Play
Here is the first of a 2 part episode of Fury of Dracula being played, and what inspired me to pick it up in the first place
I strongly recommend you watch the first episode at the very least to get an understanding of the basics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kU__uZDYTI&t=86s
(:rip: Grant Imahara)

Here is a pretty good overview of mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgwtvXzSzgE

:siren::spooky: Fight me cowards! :spooky::siren:

I think people will want to be a part of it, and I'm hoping it will generate a fair bit of interest.
If you reckon you can knock me off my sarcastic perch you should check in.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

Speaking about the good doctor, Quest for El Dorado has avoided my collection so far, whats the hive-mind opinion on whether I should grab it with the Heroes and Hexes expansion or am I good with just the base game. I keep thinking the base is too thin on its own, while the the expansion seems like it makes it more complicated and SUSD made me wary of it.

I have the base game and have managed to get it to the table twice for about 6 different map variants.
I personally enjoy it, and it's always interesting seeing who drafts what early on and how that affects their hand.

I'll probably pick up the expansion ~eventually~ but it's not on the radar for me atm. Like unless Goons tell me it dramatically improves the game I'm happy where it is, and it's a nice light diversion between bigger games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pledge floor polish is great but....don't use it to make washes unless you want everything you make to be ultra shiny. There are wash mediums you can buy out there if you want to go through the trouble of mixing them from paints.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

Pledge floor polish is great but....don't use it to make washes unless you want everything you make to be ultra shiny. There are wash mediums you can buy out there if you want to go through the trouble of mixing them from paints.

Yes thats true. I do in fact want everything to be shiny so it never occurred to me that anyone would want otherwise. I suppose if you want less shine you could use mineral oil or something?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

food court bailiff posted:

I use pledge floor polish (aka Future) for washes, and yeah things come out shiny. Hit it with a matte spray and you're good. Otherwise it's good for spot gloss effects.

I mostly use it on my plaster terrain pieces to seal them, so they don't rub chalk-like on each other and scratch each other up.

It's always easy to remember which pieces were sealed with Future, since they'll smell like flowers. For years. Added perk I guess.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The $30 you’d spend for three pots of GW wash is probably fine vs. the hassle of trying to mix, test and store your own formulations.
Agrax and Nuln are really good.

But for regular paints go with somebody else.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
The army painter washes are fantastic if you want an alternative. AP Dark tone for a black wash and Strong Tone for brown. Just make sure to get the little plastic dropper bottle and not the can

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The only wash I use is Minwax deck stain.

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/2007/07/tutorial-dipping-orks.html

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43744/dip-method-step-step-guide-painting-miniatures

Edit: I don't literally dip the models like the author of the first article; I paint it on like the second article. The first article has great pictures, though.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Crackbone posted:

The $30 you’d spend for three pots of GW wash is probably fine vs. the hassle of trying to mix, test and store your own formulations.
Agrax and Nuln are really good.

But for regular paints go with somebody else.

You don't really store it, you just take a little dish, squirt some Future in, put a little of your chosen color in, and poof you have a one-off wash for that color. It goes off when stored, it separates weird.

I used to talk it up a lot on the Reaper forums, until one mod asked me to stop because they had someone order some $500 set or whatever of all of their colors, and the person opened up every dropper and topped it off with Future, which ruined the entire thing. Basically curdled the whole lot. He then demanded a refund because he was 'just following directions on the forums'.

Yikes. My bad.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Is anybody participating at the Spiel digital?

I have like no motivation at all...

Already did my shopping, buying the new Rosenberg "Hallertau", a new expansion deck for Nusfjord, a new deckbuilder from Friedemann Friese "Faiyum" and the German version of "Orchard".

In think this has been my cheapest Spiel since 2013.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Selecta84 posted:

Already did my shopping, buying the new Rosenberg "Hallertau", a new expansion deck for Nusfjord, a new deckbuilder from Friedemann Friese "Faiyum" and the German version of "Orchard".

In think this has been my cheapest Spiel since 2013.

I googled to find a place to buy Hallertau and couldn't find one, can you post a link?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I googled to find a place to buy Hallertau and couldn't find one, can you post a link?

https://lookout-shop.de/search?q=Hallertau

Bought it directly from the German publisher. They had a 10% discount but I think that one is gone.

In Germany it seems that Hallertau is sold exclusively through flgs for 4-6 weeks so other online shops will have it mid December.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 22, 2020

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Jagged Earth people:

I just got my expansion in. I plan on playing primarily without the event deck. There is a provision for it in the rulebook (thankfully).

My question: would it hurt things too terribly to streamline that even further and just not deal with the beast tokens while still having access to all spirits? I think I'm cool with the other tokens, but the game is cumbersome enough even as base for me. I am in favor of trimming as much fat as I can while still being able to use all of the spirits.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Well, you couldn't use the animal spirits I assume. One of the new adversaries is all about beast tokens also, so don't use them. A few spirits and cards just have powers relating to "tokens" in general, so they'll be very slightly underpowered. Otherwise go nuts I guess. I hate the very concept of what you're doing and frankly it makes me mad to think about but technically it should all be fine.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 22, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nordichammer posted:

Jagged Earth people:

I just got my expansion in. I plan on playing primarily without the event deck. There is a provision for it in the rulebook (thankfully).

My question: would it hurt things too terribly to streamline that even further and just not deal with the beast tokens while still having access to all spirits? I think I'm cool with the other tokens, but the game is cumbersome enough even as base for me. I am in favor of trimming as much fat as I can while still being able to use all of the spirits.

The purpose of the "playing without the event deck" rules is to keep beasts relevant, so I would just ignore those rules and... not use events.

Strictly speaking, you might skip adding tokens to the board during setup too (outside of spirit-specific instructions from your spirit panel): they're there to get the ball rolling for events that use tokens and to offset the slight difficulty bump that events provide, so if you give yourself a free disease with no events you're making the game a little easier for yourself.

If you're not going to pull all the beast cards from the power decks then you'll want to take a look at the "playing without one or more tokens" rules on page 21 of the JE rulebook, as otherwise there will be a lot of lovely dead cards in the deck.

I don't blame you for wanting to streamline things although once you get a bit more used to it I would recommend adding both beasts & events back in as JE does some really interesting things with them. Do you have any experience playing with Branch & Claw? If you tried B&C and were turned off by events/beasts back then, I think JE does a much better job incorporating them and may be worth a second try at some point.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Selecta84 posted:

Bought it directly from the German publisher. They had a 10% discount but I think that one is gone.

In Germany it seems that Hallertau is sold exclusively through flgs for 4-6 weeks so other online shops will have it mid December.

It'd be $120 shipped for me and take a month to ship so I skipped it from Europe for once. Hoping that Philbertnet.com gets it, a lot cheaper from there and faster as well.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Selecta84 posted:

thank you!

Mayveena posted:

It'd be $120 shipped for me and take a month to ship so I skipped it from Europe for once. Hoping that Philbertnet.com gets it, a lot cheaper from there and faster as well.

this sounds like something I should do as well.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Mayveena posted:

Yeah, lucky me living in Germany. I just didn't want to wait till December.

No idea if the English Version has the same restricitions regarding online sales.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

djfooboo posted:

I went all in on the last KS also. My logical brain agrees with you, but my lizard brain says my collection is incomplete because there were certain things missing from unfulfilled stretch goals, etc. and I need to get new content.

My lizard brain is saying "I like the app, surely I'll like $400 worth of the same thing!!!"

Meanwhile I'm busting my rear end sleeving and sorting more BattleCON than I'll ever play.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

The purpose of the "playing without the event deck" rules is to keep beasts relevant, so I would just ignore those rules and... not use events.

Strictly speaking, you might skip adding tokens to the board during setup too (outside of spirit-specific instructions from your spirit panel): they're there to get the ball rolling for events that use tokens and to offset the slight difficulty bump that events provide, so if you give yourself a free disease with no events you're making the game a little easier for yourself.

If you're not going to pull all the beast cards from the power decks then you'll want to take a look at the "playing without one or more tokens" rules on page 21 of the JE rulebook, as otherwise there will be a lot of lovely dead cards in the deck.

I don't blame you for wanting to streamline things although once you get a bit more used to it I would recommend adding both beasts & events back in as JE does some really interesting things with them. Do you have any experience playing with Branch & Claw? If you tried B&C and were turned off by events/beasts back then, I think JE does a much better job incorporating them and may be worth a second try at some point.

That's fair that the tokens also make game easier. I will have to look through power decks to see how many deal with tokens and see if it's worth trimming thst much up front.

Event cards have never proven enjoyable in any of my plays. Everything else in the game more or less flows once players understand the rules. Event cards come in with a large block of text that you will need to re-read several times every turn and then take time to discuss what to do about it. It grinds the game to a halt, and I do not feel that I am exaggerating when I say that they increase the play time in my games by half.

I don't even play with adversaries because I don't like the idea of 'but wait we forgot to go do this thing we have to rewind entirely' interfering with a set turn order in a game as involved as Spirit Island. In something small like Red7 sure, but fundamentally changing the turn flow and structure either game to game or turn to turn makes me more reluctant to play.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Paul Grogan played digital TTA vs the big man Vlaada himself. They talk a bit about designing the game and expansion as they go, as well as discuss the decisions they are making. It's an interesting watch/listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGh7v7opsxE

Haven't played with the expansion yet, the new stuff looks great.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 22, 2020

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
does anyone have familiarity with the new Cosmic Encounter Duel? I like playing Cosmic Encounter but getting a group together to play it these days is, ah, probably not happening.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selecta84 posted:

I am, and if you want to team up for something we probably can. I had lots to do today so I only got in a solo play of New York Zoo (sucks balls, might be better multiplayer) and Bonfire, which is a decent Feld entry that I can probably teach after one play.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

nordichammer posted:

I don't even play with adversaries because I don't like the idea of 'but wait we forgot to go do this thing we have to rewind entirely' interfering with a set turn order in a game as involved as Spirit Island. In something small like Red7 sure, but fundamentally changing the turn flow and structure either game to game or turn to turn makes me more reluctant to play.

Have you considered using the adversary that is entirely changes made at setup time?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jedit posted:

I am, and if you want to team up for something we probably can. I had lots to do today so I only got in a solo play of New York Zoo (sucks balls, might be better multiplayer) and Bonfire, which is a decent Feld entry that I can probably teach after one play.

I could maybe get a game in or 2 on Sunday morning - noon. My is on tour and I have to watch my daughter so it is a maybe unfortunately.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

OK got mod approval for this, so here goes...

:siren::spooky: If you beat me in Fury of Dracula, I will be probated for 1 month :spooky::siren:

Click the banner for the thread

(Also I bought banner adds)

tl;dr
- Get 4 Goons together and challenge me. If you win I will eat a 1 month probe :toxx:
- Will be streamed live on Halloween, and ShallNoiseUpon is graciously hosting
- You can donate to 'bet' on the outcome and get a gangtag if you choose the winner
- Currently trying to arrange guest commentators as well

Thread has all the info. Regardless come help raise money for charity!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My FLGS says it's Pandemic Legacy Season 0 day today! Not sure if that means they expect it to come in today or they expect to give it to me today, but either way we should be hilt deep in espionage this weekend.

Has anyone actually gotten their hands on it? I know SUSD flipped for it in their review a while back. My wife and I duo-ed both the previous games in absolute binges, and we are pumped.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Huxley posted:

My FLGS says it's Pandemic Legacy Season 0 day today! Not sure if that means they expect it to come in today or they expect to give it to me today, but either way we should be hilt deep in espionage this weekend.

Has anyone actually gotten their hands on it? I know SUSD flipped for it in their review a while back. My wife and I duo-ed both the previous games in absolute binges, and we are pumped.

How is pandemic legacy? I could never really get into pandemic but not sure what legacy changes

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I wouldn't get legacy if you don't like base Pandemic. While legacy does introduce an overarching narrative and slowly change game mechanics over the course of the story, it is still Pandemic all the way through.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jarvisi posted:

How is pandemic legacy? I could never really get into pandemic but not sure what legacy changes

It rules. It's got some rough edges, some inequal options and borderline-trap choices, but it has a strong narrative and the sense of evolving mechanics is great. I played with four; people say it's pretty decent at 3 and 2 as well.

Legacy includes a bunch of sealed boxes and hidden stickers. I'm not going to talk about them in detail, because their being secret is part of the fun. When you start the first game, at a certain point an event will trigger, and the game rules will permanently change, as will your objective. Every month new rules and mechanics are introduced, although the core Pandemic gameplay is still there right until the end. Certain things that happen in the world are permanent. For instance, cities may fall into permanent disorder, or the players may make one of their Cure Centres permanent across all games. Also your characters are persistent, and can get upgraded and specialised across the campaign. The campaign is organised into twelve games, one for each month of the year; if you lose a month (which will happen) you get a second try at it, so you'll play it somewhere between 12 and 24 times.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jarvisi posted:

The first game is very much Pandemic from start to finish. You make world-changing decisions and actually change the board and tear things up and follow a light story, but every game is Pandemic with some changes. If you don't like Pandemic, you won't like Season 1.

Season 2 is less like Pandemic, heavier on making the board "your own" but lighter on twisty stuff like, "we opened Box 5 and EVERYTHING CHANGED." I think I prefer it as an actual game. It had us talking over lunch breaks about what strategies we wanted for perma changes to the board.

With both seasons, I think it's the best couples game we've ever played. Being able to play it one game a night over 2-3 weeks like binging a TV show is the best-case for enjoying it, and if you can make that happen it's magic. If you go in with a group who gets together once or twice a month and also enjoys other stuff, you will likely have a hard time getting all the way through it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Huxley posted:

Hey, thanks for posting this. I've just placed my order now - looks like a few places are saying they have it in stock in the UK at least now.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I enjoy(ed) vanilla Pandemic.
Legacy 1 frustrated me because the book keeping and extra rules put the game somewhere between the lightweight version of the original and a more satisfying game of similar time/weight. The last month was fun, but there were about 5 months in the middle that drug.
Legacy 2 takes a slightly different approach to the formula. While I appreciated the change up there, I found myself not enjoying it. After 4 games, I gave it away.

To be fair, having beaten Legacy 1 and Gloomhaven main campaign, I find it difficult to see how a campaign setting in a board game could be implemented in such a way that I enjoy. Even with Gloomhaven, I maintain that the campaign elements are the worst part of the game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone want to play Anno 1800 after 6pm Pacific on Tabletopia? I can teach! Although not more than three. Game is AP prone for your first time as it is :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
100% agree on campaign being worst part of Gloomhaven.

Arkham LCG is favorite campaign game. Enjoyable but not overbearing narrative, the game taking into account successes and failures (including partial), nice character progression as you upgrade your deck between scenarios, inventive and varied scenarios (quality over quantity vs Gloomhaven's 90 generic scenarios), doesn't outstay its welcome. Downside: $$$$$