Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

All righty, since you guys are intent on bullying convincing me to throw the bank on Ideas, I've been considering what it really needs to tie it all together.

They told me in high school that peer pressure didn't work. Looks like they were wrong!

It's an uphill climb to get selected, but I do hope this bank makes it the whole way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mindstorms inventor kit 51515 arrived today.

The good - The battery arrives pre-charged. The kit is sized for small hands to easily work with, including the hub. The giant lattice technic platters/rings are great. The wheels are nice. There's some very clever presentation and the box is actually useful while building. (It has piece illustrations printed on the inside to help sort) The motors are much nicer to build with.

The bad - There's no printed instruction book. Have a tablet handy and charged! The bags the parts come in are not nearly as nicely staged as some of the other lego sets. Expect to spend your first time sorting down the box into something that works for you. The motors/sensors have their wires hard connected. (Hopefully someone comes up with extension cables) The brick doesn't have a screen, presumably so it could be smaller.

One of the things that is super clear is that the baseline assumption at LEGO is that if you are playing with their powered toys, your family owns a recent smartphone and have solid internet. That's not unreasonable for this kit (it's not cheap) but I hope they have a plan for supporting some of the cheap tablets for schools if this kit is going to be the next Mindstorms for education product.

I'll have more thoughts once the first robot is finished building by the kiddo and we see if she can figure out how to connect it to one of the computers. (She got to step 27 with the only help from me being "yes you may borrow my tablet, let me grab the builder app off the appstore" then ran into bedtime.)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Carbo: wagon or stagecoach?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Ultimate Mango posted:

Carbo: wagon or stagecoach?

If it's the thieves getaway tool should it be a stagecoach?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Earth posted:

If it's the thieves getaway tool should it be a stagecoach?

No because the stagecoach is it’s own set in the line of western sets LEGO is going to hire Carbohydrates to design. :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't use a stagecoach to rob a bank, you would use a wagon.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Personally I'd use a gun

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Wow this is a kickass build (not mine)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DON'T GO IN THERE!!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Kickass?! Are you serious? That thing's obviously not up to code!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Holy poo poo

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'm looking to refine my collection sorting, anyone have a particular bin system they really like?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, but I do it like no one else does so you probably won't like it. :v:

I got a shitton of these:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/storage/bins-totes-containers/shelf/little-bin-plastic-stacking-bins-2-3-4-x-5-1-4-x-3-yellow

And put them inside these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SMU0ZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Love the idea of removable bins. I use tackle boxes and let me tell you picking through for a specific round 1x1 is torture.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Saw it on brother's brick. It's absolutely awesome.

I'm also really impressed with this thing. As "boring" as it looks, the use of parts is very interesting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sloppy posted:

I'm looking to refine my collection sorting, anyone have a particular bin system they really like?
I have a ton of these. I got them while they were on sale(the big ones were like 10 bucks a pop) so I guess keep an eye out for a sale if you like them, they're extremely sturdy and great for storage bins.

Small(I use these for minifig accessories and other very small pieces that I don't have a ton of)
Medium(good for general parts that you don't have a lot of)
Large(good for bulk and large pieces)
and use like, a big tupperware bin for huge parts like wings and baseplates and such.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Dozens and dozens of ziploc bags of varying age/opacity.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sloppy posted:

Like Tommie said, ziplocks are a good place to start, and then plastic shoe bins to start bulk organizing by element taxonomy, eg slopes, slopes, bricks, plates, tiles, minifig, technic, transparent, etc.

Here’s a really great article about sorting and bin recommendations

Papimax bins are what I wanted to buy, but they’ve been perpetually sold out since I started checking a year ago. I wouldn’t hold my breath.

However, I did buy a metric shitton of these Really Useful Boxes drawers and organizer trays, and those I can heartily recommend. The drawers are 100% modular with height and tops, very sturdy plastic, slide well, large size, and the dividers neatly drop in. I’m still trying to get sorted myself, but this system seems to be the best one I’ve found so far. Just be warned the price does add up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

Love the idea of removable bins. I use tackle boxes and let me tell you picking through for a specific round 1x1 is torture.

It makes sorting a breeze too, spread out all your parts on a towel, sort pieces into empty bins, then once done go over to your main collection and dump them into the matching part bin.

The straight wall cases are super nice too, the bins fit neatly and everything stacks real nice.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

If you have a 3D printer you could print your own storage solution. This dude created a pretty awesome system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VntGnLuwoeY

He has a bunch of videos with ideas. Depending on the amount of lego it might even be cheaper to get a 3d printer and print them yourself :P

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Man I'm a couple decades into this hobby and I still use "varying nestled plastic bags" lol. I have broad categories with many smaller bags for specific pieces or classes of piece. Big categories are:
- Bricks
- Plates
- Modified Plates
- Tiles
- Slopes
- SNOT pieces
- Clip and Bar
- Articulated (ball joints, hinges, turntables)
- Car-specific
- Minifig related
- Technic
- Misc Decorative (printed tiles, plants, boxes, barrels, windows and doors all end up here)

It's a rudimentary but solid system. I can get to any specific piece I'm looking for within 15-20 sec, which is an eternity compared to a proper bin setup, but it takes up like no space. Just one medium sized box under a bed.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Dozens and dozens of ziploc bags of varying age/opacity.

Been helping my dad stock up his Bricklink store and I can easily tell you that if you think you have enough ziploc bags, you don't.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
I've always used bead organizers from craft stores for small/ unique pieces

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sesame Street is up on the store - becomes available Nov 1st. 1367 pieces 119$ US, 149$ CAD.
https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/123-sesame-street-21324

The the whole "18+" thing feels a touch goofy, even if the style of is aimed at the older audience.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Looks like a playset not a display set.

Sesame Street never really was a thing in my country, maybe the whole of europe. Doubt this set sells well here. I have literally only seen those 2 main dudes (Ernie and Bernie?) in memes.

We had Sesame Station though.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

Been helping my dad stock up his Bricklink store and I can easily tell you that if you think you have enough ziploc bags, you don't.

I sold on BrickLink for some time, but got out of it. Never sold any individual pieces though. That is a step too far for me. My organization for pieces is ziplock, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDH3JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and random larger plastic drawer bins.

I'm a huge fan of the akro-mils thing. I've got two of them. Big warning is they do not move house well though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Not sure how well an 18+ Sesame Street set that looks like it is meant to be played with will do. The pieces are too small for any children at an age who would want to play with it, and it doesn't look all that great as a display for an adult that really likes Sesame Street enough to spend 120 bucks on it for some reason.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Other than Gardens of Ninjago City I'm mainly interested to see what they come out with for Speed Champions next year. I got the Audi and the GT-R from this year's run and ended up really rather disliking the latter. The F8 is maybe a bit better but at this point I'll wait to see what 2021 has to offer.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Other than Gardens of Ninjago City I'm mainly interested to see what they come out with for Speed Champions next year. I got the Audi and the GT-R from this year's run and ended up really rather disliking the latter. The F8 is maybe a bit better but at this point I'll wait to see what 2021 has to offer.
I'm curious, too. I certainly don't care for the 8-wides as much as the 6-wides because of how they integrate poorly into my own City-scale poo poo, but I'll keep collecting any "classic" (non-contemporary) cars they wanna throw my way. The Audi is really cool.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Sesame Street set is super cute. It's like a year and a half too late for my kid to care about Sesame Street but I'll probably still grab one and she'll probably still want to play with the minifigs sometime.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Carbohydrates posted:

I'm curious, too. I certainly don't care for the 8-wides as much as the 6-wides because of how they integrate poorly into my own City-scale poo poo, but I'll keep collecting any "classic" (non-contemporary) cars they wanna throw my way. The Audi is really cool.

They need to make an 037 so I can race Röhl v Röhl with the Audi but some kind of Delta would be fine and more likely.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy gently caress that's great.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Earth posted:

I sold on BrickLink for some time, but got out of it. Never sold any individual pieces though. That is a step too far for me.

All of that is his responsibility, all I do is catalogue large batches of pieces into bags.

Although now I've come to the special hell of Lego sorting. Minifigures. Good lord do I hate having to try to find the correct inventory number for minifigure parts. Especially with how weird and vague Bricklink can be and how loving tiny their preview images are.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Cockblocktopus posted:

Sesame Street set is super cute. It's like a year and a half too late for my kid to care about Sesame Street but I'll probably still grab one and she'll probably still want to play with the minifigs sometime.

I was loving devastated when my daughter stopped being interested in sesame street, I love watching that show

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Cooked Auto posted:

Although now I've come to the special hell of Lego sorting. Minifigures. Good lord do I hate having to try to find the correct inventory number for minifigure parts. Especially with how weird and vague Bricklink can be and how loving tiny their preview images are.
It's often easier if you can recognize a set or even theme that the minifig part came in and then just look it up via set inventories.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Ziplock bags are very space efficient but god awful for trying to find the right bag or storing in any searchable arrangement.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Sesame Street is up on the store - becomes available Nov 1st. 1367 pieces 119$ US, 149$ CAD.
https://www.lego.com/en-ca/product/123-sesame-street-21324

The the whole "18+" thing feels a touch goofy, even if the style of is aimed at the older audience.
Good to see they included Mr. Snuffleupagus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Brickset review mentions that Hooper’s store has several spots left open for connecting a potential future set, like a modular.

I love Muppets and the set looks solid but I’ll probably just wait to see what’s next since this one lacks the Count and Grover. I’ll probably just BrickLink Cookie Monster and some cookie tiles.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Chris Knight posted:

Good to see they included Mr. Snuffleupagus.

Nice!

Brawnfire posted:

I was loving devastated when my daughter stopped being interested in sesame street, I love watching that show

Showed the set to my wife and she wants it just for nostalgia. She shared a memory of her childhood watching the show after her siblings went off to school while her mom made her breakfast. Our daughter was a big Sesame Street fan too. So many fond memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm taking apart Ninjago City and Docks to make some room for newer sets and wow, City is still one of the best sets ever made. Just a fantastic amount of detail and interactivity; I love the touches like the crab bake and sushi counter.