Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It rained really hard last night and flooded one of my pastures (this is normal and happens regularly in the spring and fall), which made Mina and the sheep sad because it's their favorite pasture but was the most exciting development ever for Scout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Qin8tGmF8

I wish there was some way to tap puppy energy because she ran laps for 30 minutes and wasn't even winded.

Edit:
Sometimes she's a meerkat

Sometimes she's just cute

Instant Jellyfish has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Oct 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

OMG :kimchi:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

Took a minute to find the allergic person.

I read somewhere that this happens because eye contact with a cat seems aggressive to them. So when an allergic person tries to ignore a cat it makes that person look like the friendliest person in the room.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A Sometimes Food posted:

Oh content for thread. Just after said neighbours moved in (they had introduced me to the dogs though and they were already saying hi through the fence) their house had a rickety old wooden gate. One afternoon I looked outside to find the two rotties wandering in the street. Called their names and whistled they trotted up to me, I gave them scratches and lead them back to their yard. They'd busted the latch on the gate. So I lead em back to my yard got some rope lead them back to their yard told em to stay and tied their gate shut. No problems, I've never seen dogs that friendly and obedient. Just adorable.

My family had a Rottweiler like 30 years ago & she was a total sweetheart - big-headed tank, but obedient & mild temperament. Any time she'd get out of our yard, we'd find her about a block away without fail surrounded by kids & having the time of her life :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/1318998819594436608?s=19

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

But there's more!
https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/1318973398807138304

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

That is several layers of lovely :)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I love videos of old cats meeting new cats

Unless they fight

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do dogs ever sprain their tails from wagging them too much?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's is apparently a thing called "Happy Tail Syndrome" and the pandemic has made it happen a lot more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzDh_qPOL_c

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It happened to our girl after she met another dog one time. It was actually a little weird, because her tail just...stopped working for about a week. It just hung there all the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes, my parents had a dog who ended up with "happy tail" where they had to amputate most of it because she would wag so much the skin would tear around the base.

Edit: As penance here's my boy who gets more than a little cuddly when the cold weather starts

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Oct 22, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

Yes, my parents had a dog who ended up with "happy tail" where they had to amputate most of it because she would wag so much the skin would tear around the base.

Jesus Christ. This is not the thread.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think it's worthwhile for more dog owners to know about it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Bassets are another breed where stumpy legs override all. When I worked animal control I met a few hilarious mixes, like basically a full-size lab with 4-inch legs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, it was a surgical procedure and after she was fine, she just had a little stubby tail which would continue to wag without issue.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn’t actually bothered by it being posted here. I was just expressing horror.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

SubponticatePoster posted:

Bassets are another breed where stumpy legs override all. When I worked animal control I met a few hilarious mixes, like basically a full-size lab with 4-inch legs.

Indeed!

Basset x Irish Wolfhound

Basset x Shar Pei

Basset x Golden Retriver

Basset x German Shepherd

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

muscles like this! posted:

I mean, it was a surgical procedure and after she was fine, she just had a little stubby tail which would continue to wag without issue.

Happy stump is :blessed:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

SubponticatePoster posted:

The achondroplasia found in corgis, bassets, dachshunds, etc is a dominant trait :science:

If you like seeing weird mixes there's a public facebook group for the Embark dog DNA test and it is very fun to try to guess what the heck breeds make up various cute dogs posted (spoiler alert: they're always chow mixes)

Here's some dog shenanigans from today

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
dogs are the best.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Thanks for giving Mina a young dog to play with, she's so thrilled. :3:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

While it wasn't traumatic enough to require medical attention, our beagle got overly waggy once and thwapped his tail on the edge of the coffee table. He let loose with a loud yelp and looked pathetic that the world would treat him so poorly. He felt better after a lot of "poor beagle! " and pets. He got the beagle drama queen gene, for sure.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kavak posted:

I think it's worthwhile for more dog owners to know about it.
What can someone do about it though? Keep their dog from becoming too happy?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I posted Dingo in the Corgi mix derail in the Funny pics thread and I'll post him again here cause he's cute as hell. He's supposed to be a Mini Aussie but I'm almost certain he's part Corgi. You be the judge...

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
My roommate had a dog that loved tail wagging so much that he whipped it into the edge of a door and wandered around the 2000sq/ft house basically making a Dexteresque blood splatter setpiece out of every wall in the place. We found him on his now-incredibly-messy bed in next to the heater in the laundry room the next morning, with a tiny (2.5mm MAYBE) cut on his tail. We bandaged him up, and the joke was on us, because he wandered around the house for the next 2 days beating that new drum-pedal bit on his tail into the loudest, most percussive things he could find in that house.

Rascal, you were dumb as hell, but you were drat good at being a dog.

spookykid has a new favorite as of 10:29 on Oct 22, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/habMYuR.mp4

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
https://youtu.be/oMMf6fEX6Tk

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

McCracAttack posted:

I read somewhere that this happens because eye contact with a cat seems aggressive to them. So when an allergic person tries to ignore a cat it makes that person look like the friendliest person in the room.

Ive been told the same, which makes sense when you think about what they do when hunting. If you arent staring, you probably are not considering eating them.

Eye contact with unknown dogs is also not always a good plan.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Why couldn't that be me, I'm almost as hairy

Bored posted:

Ive been told the same, which makes sense when you think about what they do when hunting. If you arent staring, you probably are not considering eating them.

I've read that they don't like being stared at, except if you (very) slowly blink a few times when you do it. It puts them at ease, because it seems like you yourself at ease, certainly not in hunting/aggressive mode. I've been trying it out on random cats on the street whenever I go for a walk, and it usually does seem to keep them for bolting off, at least.

e: more goons should try it out and report back

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 13:14 on Oct 22, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Phlegmish posted:

I've read that they don't like being stared at, except if you (very) slowly blink a few times when you do it. It puts them at ease, because it seems like you yourself at ease, certainly not in hunting/aggressive mode. I've been trying it out on random cats on the street whenever I go for a walk, and it usually does seem to keep them for bolting off, at least.

I do this all the time with my cat, because I have also read a thousand times over the past twenty years that the slow blink means “we’re friends.”

As far as I can tell, no cat I’ve ever cohabited with gives a poo poo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I do this all the time with my cat, because I have also read a thousand times over the past twenty years that the slow blink means “we’re friends.”

As far as I can tell, no cat I’ve ever cohabited with gives a poo poo.

It works better with cats you don't regularly feed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

It works better with cats you don't regularly feed.

Message received: will be feeding my cats at random, infrequent intervals from now on so that they respond to my slow blinks.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
https://twitter.com/Bodegacats_/status/1319250253573480450

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

Why couldn't that be me, I'm almost as hairy

Yeah it works, it's always part of the thing to do (and look out for the return) when approaching a random street cat to assess whether them sitting there as you approach is "I will accept a stroke from you" or "I will shred your arm to the shoulder if you take a step closer".

My cat also does it whenever he notices a kitten on my screen, which is weird because he's an utter arsehole to the full-sized real cats around the area.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It rained really hard last night and flooded one of my pastures (this is normal and happens regularly in the spring and fall), which made Mina and the sheep sad because it's their favorite pasture but was the most exciting development ever for Scout.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Qin8tGmF8

I wish there was some way to tap puppy energy because she ran laps for 30 minutes and wasn't even winded.

Edit:
Sometimes she's a meerkat

Sometimes she's just cute

:3:

Does scout do the "boing boing boing" running through high grass? Reggie is a pro at it. If he's going across a field with grass taller than he is, he'll shoot 4ft into the air every ~5 seconds to get a look at where he's at, then keep running.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I posted Dingo in the Corgi mix derail in the Funny pics thread and I'll post him again here cause he's cute as hell. He's supposed to be a Mini Aussie but I'm almost certain he's part Corgi. You be the judge...

Floppy eeeeaaaaarrrrsssss :kimchi:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:ninja:

https://twitter.com/GinaGoesOutside/status/1319379106081931264?s=20

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/fxjr2i6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

I really don't know what I expected but I am pleasantly surprised.