Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don’t think anyone knows. I can’t find any recent polling. I believe it needs to get 60% of the vote, so it has a high hurdle to clear.

Had someone in my neighborhood post some handmade sign saying, “vote no on the tax amendment. If billionaires want it, you know it’s wrong.” Which is just shamefully stupid on a lot of levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had one person be all "why raise taxes for anyone? why not just spend less?"

:geno:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

I've had one person be all "why raise taxes for anyone? why not just spend less?"

:geno:

I saw a facebook ad to this effect. "When my household gets low on money we have to cut back, why can't Springfield do the same???" gently caress.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The whole loving problem is that the Boomers didn't cut back in the 90s and now we have to pay for their greed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That’s a classic attack on government spending that is usually the opposite of the good way to run the government.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I can't figure out the second part of the "required to pass rule." It says 60% or a majority of those voting in the election. It seems like the last one should be easy? Like if most people who vote cast a vote on the amendment and enough of those people vote yes, it passes even if it gets less than 60%?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I know some people upthread mentioned they got confirmation of the arrival of their vote-by-mail ballot. How did you get the confirmation? I mailed mine two weeks ago and haven't gotten anything, but that might be because I'm in a southern county and they are kind of old-fashioned.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I got an email from the Chicago Election central saying my ballot was received and accepted. It took two days from me mailing it to get that email.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I logged into the Dupage Election website and they said mine was accepted.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

I got an email from the Chicago Election central saying my ballot was received and accepted. It took two days from me mailing it to get that email.

Okay, so, at no point did the election people have my email address (had to postal-mail them a ballot request, for example), so that might be the difference.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I can't figure out the second part of the "required to pass rule." It says 60% or a majority of those voting in the election. It seems like the last one should be easy? Like if most people who vote cast a vote on the amendment and enough of those people vote yes, it passes even if it gets less than 60%?

Yea it's a little confusing. It's either 50% of all ballots, or 60% of those that specifically voted on the amendment. It give leeway in case lots of people don't vote either way. I think the way it will get reported means if you see it over 50% after votes are counted, it passes.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bobulus posted:

Okay, so, at no point did the election people have my email address (had to postal-mail them a ballot request, for example), so that might be the difference.

For Peoria County, I had to sign up for BallotTrax or whatever on the website. I was able to sign up for both email and SMS, and I got notifications when my ballot was sent. I really need to get it turned back in . . .

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Zarin posted:

For Peoria County, I had to sign up for BallotTrax or whatever on the website. I was able to sign up for both email and SMS, and I got notifications when my ballot was sent. I really need to get it turned back in . . .

Also Peoria, ballot trax told me when it had gotten back to the vote place.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I voted in Bloomington the other week at the county's main early voting site. Really easy, no line, and no uncertainties regarding the mail system.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Voted at the early voting location in Naperville and there was a bit of a line. Voting early in the past usually had a 15 min line but yesterday it took me over an hour. Still not as bad as others but it was surprising. When I left it looked like the line was the same length as when I started. poo poo's crazy.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

being able to get Illinois political ads in the STL market, all the ads about the tax amendment call it the TAX HIKE AMENDMENT, say it'll raise taxes on small farmers so Mike Madigan can line his pockets, and have the message "we're taxed enough already in Illinois as it is, why hike taxes even more"

that and the endless Rodney Davis vs Betsey Dirksen Londrigan ads. which is interesting because most of the 618 is represented by Mike Bost, and I've hardly seen any ads for him or his opponent.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

dwarf74 posted:

I voted in Bloomington the other week at the county's main early voting site. Really easy, no line, and no uncertainties regarding the mail system.

I voted by mail within a week of the mail ballots being sent out. My understanding is that Bloomington doesn't have any system online to check status of the ballot, but my wife and I plan to call and check the status of our ballot, and then go in and vote early in case they haven't received it or something and just do the affidavit that this is the vote to count.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Went to grab some carryout and the bartender told me Pritzker is reissuing a moratorium on dining in for DuPage county for 2 weeks. I figured this would come again but it still sucks to hear it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I mailed mine in a week ago and it appears to be sitting at "CHICAGO CENT CARRIER ANNEX" since the 14th. Should I be worried?

The X-man cometh posted:

The whole loving problem is that the Boomers didn't cut back in the 90s and now we have to pay for their greed.

Heard a radio ad that had a bunch of Seniors complaining that they shouldn't have to pay taxes for Springfield's mistakes. You fucks are why we are in this position.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Deathlove posted:

I logged into the Dupage Election website and they said mine was accepted.

I did the same (for reference, I did https://www.dupageco.org/Election/ -> "Check voter registration status/view sample ballot" -> Vote By Mail (VBM) or Early Voter (EV) Status). Mine just says "Ballot Received". Did yours say accepted, or just received? I dropped mine off at the drop box a few weeks ago.

And as for the propositions, they really are kind of pointless given that they're non-binding. I assume they're there so whatever side can hold up the results and say "see we need to pass [our bill] because the people want [whatever was the proposition]". I couldn't make heads or tails on the police training one. I could interpret it to mean that they're going to bring in some krav maga expert to teach cops how to gently caress people up better (which is bad), or that they want to emphasize some kind of de-escalation (which is better). Either way I vote I feel like I'm just a pawn in the game.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
An early voting place near me opened yesterday in a vacant strip mall clothing store. Nice big parking lot and indoor space. My usual spot is a small church with a very small parking lot so in the last election I had to do laps until a spot opened.

I ran over right after getting done with work at 4PM. There were probably 50 people in and out while I was there. Got done in about 15 minutes.

On the other hand, a friend of mine who lives in Chicago had to wait in line for two and a half hours in the rain to vote yesterday. At least that gives me the impression that people are motivated to get out there this time around.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Vote by mail loving sucks because it triggers my homework avoidance behavior. I've had this ballot sitting on my desk for like two weeks and still haven't opened it.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

limp_cheese posted:

Went to grab some carryout and the bartender told me Pritzker is reissuing a moratorium on dining in for DuPage county for 2 weeks. I figured this would come again but it still sucks to hear it.

It sucks that it isn't indefinite

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah wow. Lockdowns all over Illinois.

quote:

#Breaking Region 7&8 will have restrictions issued Friday.

Region 5 will begin Thursday and Region 1 continues in restrictions.

All of the other regions are within 1% of restrictions currently.

These restrictions include no indoor dining and limited crowd gatherings.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Too bad they didn't do that when we were at "only" 1-2k cases a day

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Too bad they didn't do that when we were at "only" 1-2k cases a day
Agreed. Technically my region is still decent but lock us down please.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

It's funny, to me, that we still aren't meeting the idph phase 4 requirements, 4 months after entering phase 4

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
We're above the infection rates that we had in May and it doesn't look like it's slowing down lol

lock down all the collar counties

hell lock it all down

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hmm

Instead

Open'r up!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Real weird how in the spring they were predicting a huge second surge in the fall and then it actually happened.

But gently caress scientists, right??

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They ain't lockin' down poo poo til after Nov. 3rd is my bet. Then they'll go HAM once local officials don't have to worry about their jobs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

xzzy posted:

Real weird how in the spring they were predicting a huge second surge in the fall and then it actually happened.

But gently caress scientists, right??
This just proves it's all fake you see :v:

I am stunned my region is one of the 'best' right now.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I haven't had take-out like, all month, and I was thinking about going in to Buffalo Wild Wings tonight to pick something up.

Now I'm not sure if I should just stick to drive-thru or scrap the whole idea altogether. :(

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Zarin posted:

I haven't had take-out like, all month, and I was thinking about going in to Buffalo Wild Wings tonight to pick something up.

Now I'm not sure if I should just stick to drive-thru or scrap the whole idea altogether. :(

You should definitely avoid Buffalo Wild Wings, but that's regardless of COVID-19.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Zarin posted:

I think they do curbside. Its also Thursday which I'm pretty sure is Buy one Get one free for boneless wings. You should treat yourself. Yes I know there is better wings but sometimes I just want lovely food.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Welp day 4 of the schools in Unit 5 (Bloomington/Normal) trying to open up, and I just got an email that someone at my girls' school has tested positive.

Day 4.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Zarin posted:

Running into a restaurant for pickup is not going to be a major vector for getting COVID. I wouldn’t worry about it. Do drive up if you can, but otherwise wear your mask and pop in and out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or just live like a king and pay for delivery.

Or if you want to get all culinary buy some wings at the grocery store and grill them yourself. :hellyeah:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Was going to go to Chauma Gaucha for an early birthday dinner but that's out the window since it's in DuPage county. I just wanted to endlessly eat meat until I died so that I'd no longer have to deal with all the political bullcrap that people are posting. A lot of restaurants out here in Will County are doing the whole "they can't make us close! we are staying open!" bit and the comments are half "yeah! america!" and "my uncle died from this, lets do it for the common good".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Wing trip update: got them, they were as good as expected. Unfortunately I am a disgrace to the Midwest and apparently do not have ranch on hand, and they were stingy with it. Oh well.

Somebody came in for a GrubHub order and then stood there and placed an order, which was bizarre. Took too long, but whatever. I probably won't die (of covid, anyway)

IN OTHER NEWS, I dropped off my ballot today. Turns out the ballot box was drive-up, so that made it easy. The parking lot of the Election Commission was PACKED - granted, it's not very big, but even so, there were maybe only 2 open spots. The line to vote was out the door and along the sidewalk. Everyone seemed relatively well spaced-out, at least outside.

Tempted to try and watch part of the debate tonight, just to see if they actually use the mute buttons, but it's nice to be free of the politics curse early now. I'll still mainline it like a dipshit tho