Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arquinsiel posted:

Well of the two times I have seen a friend since this pandemic started one of them was me listeing to a dude list off the things he saw working for the Instagram moderation contract at Accenture that made him want to kill himself so... do not tempt capitalism to make things worse for you.

Yeah, any sort of abuse desk or content moderation for something that size is going to be soul destroying. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

this morning i spent 35 minutes in the bathroom bawling my eyes out because i cannot continue to take the abuse of entitled users who are upset because I can't immediately fix their (massive) problem (that they've known about for weeks but only just created a ticket)

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

this morning i spent 35 minutes in the bathroom bawling my eyes out because i cannot continue to take the abuse of entitled users who are upset because I can't immediately fix their (massive) problem (that they've known about for weeks but only just created a ticket)

Ugh sorry to hear that. I know that all too well. I know it doesn't really help, but they're not mad at you the person, they're mad at the situation and just happen to be pointed at you the technologist. Which of course does not remotely excuse any of it, but it isn't your fault.

Hang in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sounds cliche but you have to learn to not give a gently caress.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I deleted an excel file this morning with all my passwords can it be retrieved?

JANE DOE
Patient Accounting Department

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Got pinged in LinkedIn for tier 1 helpdesk for the state of Michigan working midnights in Lansing in case anyone wants to experience the 9th circle first-hand.

I really wish recruiters would get their poo poo together and actually read profiles.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

It's one of the most difficult things I learned but it's liberating once you get there. I tackled it in stages

1. Checking in on loads of areas that aren't your problem, highlighting problems and then increasing your own workload as a result
  2. Still checking those areas, but saying nothing and just preparing in case you get asked to help out
  3. Not diving into ongoing issues that are nothing to do with you until it's escalated to you via the proper process, and then taking however long is required to get up to speed before making your own contributions

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

It's one of the most difficult things I learned but it's liberating once you get there. I tackled it in stages

1. Checking in on loads of areas that aren't your problem, highlighting problems and then increasing your own workload as a result
  2. Still checking those areas, but saying nothing and just preparing in case you get asked to help out
  3. Not diving into ongoing issues that are nothing to do with you until it's escalated to you via the proper process, and then taking however long is required to get up to speed before making your own contributions

In a call center the art of not caring, by necessity, includes things that are your job. Your job, in reality, is making those metrics look good, and if you want to stay sane you will say gently caress the metrics, lie cheat and steal to keep your job, and just fix poo poo for people.

Because actually managing to fix poo poo is the only happiness you will ever feel in that hell

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Bob Morales posted:

I deleted an excel file this morning with all my passwords can it be retrieved?

JANE DOE
Patient Accounting Department

VSS has been a godsend for these situations. You look like a wizard when it works.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/1319281640493907975?s=20

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh, in 2016 the same thing happened and it was "yourefired". At least he has stepped up the password complexity from 1990s levels to 2000s levels! It even took the guy 7 guesses instead of one guess this time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How does Twitter not have MFA required for his account? How do they not require MFA for all verified accounts? What a dumb world we live in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Internet Explorer posted:

How does Twitter not have MFA required for his account? How do they not require MFA for all verified accounts? What a dumb world we live in.

Because MFA is another step between the president and his stream of consciousness tantrums and we can't have that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

How do they not require MFA for all verified accounts?

What a dumb world we live in.

When you answer your own question.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In come the tickets: "Well if the PRESIDENT doesn't need 2FA then I sure don't :bahgawd:" *takes off mask, drinks bleach*

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

looks like the Dutch researcher has an IQ of 193 and started with 15% of that password

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how "ethical" can he really be if he didn't take the opportunity to tweet something incredibly embarrassing

Lying Dr. Fauci (Loser) says that my Penis is "Abnormally Small"! Melania, Ivanka and Tiffany would all Disagree! The Fake News Media don't want the American Public to know about your President's Colossal Hog!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

Lying Dr. Fauci (Loser) says that my Penis is "Abnormally Small"! Melania, Ivanka and Tiffany would all Disagree! The Fake News Media don't want the American Public to know about your President's Colossal Hog!

The more I read that the better it gets

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a gender flippers adapter, so it's useful if you end up with a weirdass VGA cable or if you need to extend them for some reason. I've used the DB-9 version to extend a Cisco console cable, but that was literally one time.

We used to use all kinds of those things back in the day when physical, cabled KVMs were a thing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Motronic posted:

We used to use all kinds of those things back in the day when physical, cabled KVMs were a thing.

“Were” :airquote:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bob Morales posted:

boss says we have to give a gently caress because otherwise it's not providing good customer service

*jerking off motion*

working in education sucks, don't do it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

working sucks, don't do it

:eng101:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I haven't worked anywhere lovely enough to have equipment without IPMI/iDrac/whatever management in a very long time. If you are supporting equipment that doesn't I truly feel bad for you.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

One of my clients just sent me a litigation hold request for a bunch of data and things, they also asked me to sign it to confirm we are doing the hold, not my name going on that poo poo, manager please do the needful.

Also, they want stuff we don't have access/control of so I assume my manager is going to be like Nope.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

MF_James posted:

One of my clients just sent me a litigation hold request for a bunch of data and things, they also asked me to sign it to confirm we are doing the hold, not my name going on that poo poo, manager please do the needful.

unless a judge asked for it, there is absolutely no duty to return a signature to somebody requesting records retention, that's what certified mail is for

Hope that your management is talking to lawyers

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

boss says we have to give a gently caress because otherwise it's not providing good customer service

*jerking off motion*

Sounds like someone isn't expressing empathy towards the customer's sense of urgency. Tsk tsk. /s

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not giving a gently caress is the easy part.

Galaxy brain is not giving a gently caress while outwardly appearing to give a gently caress.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arquinsiel posted:

I used to always wonder what these were for. I still to wonder why some monitors have two VGA ports.

The only use for those gender changers I've ever found is some KVMs that use a M-M cable rather than a standard VGA M-F cable. Monitors that have two VGA ports usually can switch between them.

Bob Morales posted:

This is why so many of us *don't* give a gently caress, or are even user-hostile. It's a defense mechanism due to lovely users who refuse to acknowledge that we are people. It's so nice to have good users who will work with you, and/or a manager who will stand by you against the bad ones.

Data Graham posted:

:bahgawd:" *takes off mask, drinks bleach*

Wish they would...

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not giving a gently caress is the easy part.

Galaxy brain is not giving a gently caress while outwardly appearing to give a gently caress.

That's the hard part.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I requested a new keyboard for one of our lab computers because I hosed up and poured cement into the old one.
They sent over their intern to pick out the cement until it worked again. He did a surprisingly good job of it, but I'm still going to buy a new one and expense it.

Do you think it was some sort of IT hazing ritual?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Motronic posted:

I haven't worked anywhere lovely enough to have equipment without IPMI/iDrac/whatever management in a very long time. If you are supporting equipment that doesn't I truly feel bad for you.

I work on endpoints, so we need the ability to run tests on what's basically consumer hardware. It was fine when we had 3 offices with provisioning labs near each of our eng teams, but now I'm the only one with access to an office...so IP KVM it is! :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geemer posted:

I requested a new keyboard for one of our lab computers because I hosed up and poured cement into the old one.
They sent over their intern to pick out the cement until it worked again. He did a surprisingly good job of it, but I'm still going to buy a new one and expense it.

Well, a keyboard is like $20! We pay this person $14/hr., so there you go. Oh, wait, intern. Unpaid?
But yeah, that's some serious penny pinching if not a FNG thing.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Geemer posted:

One of my first tech jobs was at a local ISP/retail store in the mid-late 90's. I did some dial-up support, some retail sales, and some coding. We were in a build that was an old doctor's office, complete with a creepy basement full of old medical records and outdated/forgotten medical equipment. One of my first tasks was to go up with the manager onto the roof during a torrential downpour and use a snow shovel to try to get gallons and gallons of water off of the roof because it was leaking. The manager gave me a bunch of bonus pay for it, but the owner found it and removed the bonus pay because it wasn't agreed to ahead of time and he was a prick. I was 17 and probably shouldn't have been up there in the first place.

This kind of reminded me of that but I'm not sure why, maybe I guess it felt somewhat like hazing at the time, but it really was just trying to keep the lovely roof from collapsing.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Coworker: "Hey Lead, won't it be weird to read the same text out of the email to the people calling asking about *said broadcast test email* back to them?"
Me: "I have to read error messages to people off their own screens to them, so nah."

and that was that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Geemer posted:

I've seen people cleaning keyboards and things like that before.

"Aren't those like $10?"

"Why don't they just put a clear cover over it?"

Boss: "I'd rather pay people than buy new hardware!"

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Oof. I hope your day gets better. If you have a good manager, report that poo poo to them?

Alternatively, :killing:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just clocked up 10 years at my job. :yotj:

Celebrated by explaining to a client that, no, they can't have our login info for our web host so they can self-manage the domain we registered for them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Celebrated by explaining to a client that, no, they can't have our login info for our web host so they can self-manage the domain we registered for them.

I did 15 years at a job. My entire career is 10 years behind because of it.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:v: Mother of God we somehow resurrected [server that has been dead for months]. 6 hours after we left, it came back online.
:confused: Wait... it took 6 hours to boot?
:v: 6 hours to boot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Charge them $300 for it and then $300 to fix their inevitable fuckups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

larchesdanrew posted:

:v: Mother of God we somehow resurrected [server that has been dead for months]. 6 hours after we left, it came back online.
:confused: Wait... it took 6 hours to boot?
:v: 6 hours to boot.

I'm kind of interested to hear what kind of storage the operating system and/or application is on