Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Woo! On 40+5 this baby has finally dropped! I no longer have baby feet all up in my ribs! Better late than never!

Olanphonia posted:

Whew, busy morning. Baby and mom are both good. 8lb boy. The hip pain mom had been feeling for the last 4 weeks is gone she says (replaced by incision pain). Thanks again thread, appreciate the kind words.

Congrats on your baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yay! That's promising, there's still time to into labour on your own before the 13th! Fingers crossed.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Congrats Olanphonia!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a prenatal vitamin with a non-fish source of dha? Been taking the naturemade prenatal multi+dha, but the past few bottles I've had, one or two softgels have leaked and the whole thing has ended up smelling like a lake.

(I also asked in the getting knocked up thread, not sure how much cross-readership there is.)

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I'm pregnant again! Baby 2 will arrive some time in early June. I'm excited for this pregnancy because I'm starting out on Zoloft instead of waiting for the depression to get so bad that I was genuinely starting to fear for my safety. God drat, that sucked a lot. Don't ignore peripartum depression, it's real and really bad.

My dog has ramped up the clinginess just like she did the first time. Anyone else's pets acting like weirdos once you're pregnant?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Chernobyl Princess posted:

My dog has ramped up the clinginess just like she did the first time. Anyone else's pets acting like weirdos once you're pregnant?

Congrats! And I’m glad you’re taking steps ahead of time.

My cat gets weird every time I’m pregnant. She gets really protective and is aggressive towards any males, even people she knows (except my husband) and any time I couldn’t sleep she would come snuggle with me until she thought I was sleeping and then would leave again. It was cute.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

My dog mostly just seems to be upset that we turned her room into the baby’s room. She likes to go in there and just lie on the floor.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
None of my animals treated me any differently, and my cat just got increasingly inventive about positioning to stay on my lap as I got bigger. I did find out my son was not deaf in utero when he flailed wildly in response to my dog having a piercing barking fit.

Nessa, patiently waiting for your trip report.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 15, 2020

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tamarillo posted:

Nessa, patiently waiting for your trip report.

Baby Lydia was born this morning! She’s 9lbs, 4oz and gave me a third degree tear. Fortunately, the epidural worked great and I didn’t feel a thing during actual labour. The sutures are a bitch though and I basically can’t do anything. I can’t even pee on my own, so I have a catheter.

I waited too long on the epidural and had to endure some misery though. Once they got me to a delivery room they said they wanted to break my water at some point. I suggested having pain relief ready by that point since I knew water breaking can make contractions more intense. Welp, my water broke on my own and it ended up all over the floor and bed and myself. It was a mess. Then shortly afterwards my pain shot up to a 10. Once things kicked in though it was pretty smooth sailing. I managed to dilate 6 whole centimetres while the epidural let me sleep.

Also, I learned I experience contractions weird. I don’t feel them as waves, just as a constant pain. My nurses had to tell me when I was having a contraction.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Grats Nessa!!

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Congratulations on your little girl!! The start of a big journey. Hope all is well and you’re getting looked after. Postpartum healing can take a while, so be easy on yourself, accept and ask for help always.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Nessa posted:

Baby Lydia was born this morning! She’s 9lbs, 4oz and gave me a third degree tear. Fortunately, the epidural worked great and I didn’t feel a thing during actual labour. The sutures are a bitch though and I basically can’t do anything. I can’t even pee on my own, so I have a catheter.
Hooray! Congratulations!! Those sutures are no loving joke. It does eventually get better but you'll be hella awkward trying to sit for a while. I actually loved my catheter so much though, simply because it was the longest time in months that I wasn't constantly plagued with the need to pee. Magic. Embrace catheters. Catheters for all.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

I'm pregnant again! Baby 2 will arrive some time in early June. I'm excited for this pregnancy because I'm starting out on Zoloft instead of waiting for the depression to get so bad that I was genuinely starting to fear for my safety. God drat, that sucked a lot. Don't ignore peripartum depression, it's real and really bad.

Congrats! Yeah I had the same experience with PPD and for my second I was like no way am I waiting to be on Zoloft. Made a huge difference! PPD is the loving worst.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Congrats Nessa!! A 3rd degree is serious business :( Make sure you're using that peri bottle all the time and ask for a sitz bath. Also padsicles. All the padsicles.

What did you wind up deciding for Lydia's middle name?

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

Congrats Nessa! That's great news! Less about the tearing, of course... Get your husband to harass the staff about getting a pelvic physical therapist referral before you leave, just in case you need one later. I've heard they are a godsend for folks who tore badly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congrats!

boquiabierta posted:

Also padsicles. All the padsicles.

Apparently these are easy to make? Being a guy can you explain to me how these are made? Wife ordered some commerically made ones but I suspect those will only last for so long before we run out

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Hadlock posted:

Apparently these are easy to make? Being a guy can you explain to me how these are made? Wife ordered some commerically made ones but I suspect those will only last for so long before we run out

Yes. Douse some maxi-pads in aloe vera. Stick in freezer. Done.

You can also just use ice directly to the perineum. Well, not directly -- when I was a postpartum nurse we would make ice gloves, filling a clean glove with ice chips, tying it off using one of the fingers, and then wrapping the glove in a dry baby wipe. I would put hydrocortisone cream or Tucks witch hazel pads on top sometimes. Patients really liked those too.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

The nurses gave me a bunch of instant ice packs and basically a lifetime supply of Tucks and that cooling/numbing perineum spray, A+.

Also keep up on whatever bowel regimen they gave you, you will thank yourself even if it is tough to remember to take them with everything else going on. When whatever it is gets to be too much, taper off rather than stopping everything at once.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Yeah, holy poo poo, do not give up on the stool softeners. I slacked off and ended up so constipated I needed an enema, and then promptly passed a cement hard turd the size of my forearm. I could feel my stitches straining from that poo poo, it was the worst.

Got some good news thanks to Google's algorithm; insurance and hospital are chummy again. Glad I found out by seeing a random article from a local paper in my news feed instead of, you know, someone contacting me about it since we've been asking. Assholes.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

2DEG posted:

Got some good news thanks to Google's algorithm; insurance and hospital are chummy again. Glad I found out by seeing a random article from a local paper in my news feed instead of, you know, someone contacting me about it since we've been asking. Assholes.

What the gently caress. Why is insurance so terrible

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

What the gently caress. Why is insurance so terrible

If it was good we might be able to direct time and energy to other things in life, and we can't have that now can we?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Tamarillo posted:

Hooray! Congratulations!! Those sutures are no loving joke. It does eventually get better but you'll be hella awkward trying to sit for a while. I actually loved my catheter so much though, simply because it was the longest time in months that I wasn't constantly plagued with the need to pee. Magic. Embrace catheters. Catheters for all.

I did not love my catheter because it caused me to bleed all over myself and the floor. I hated not being able to walk 4 feet without blood running down both legs.

boquiabierta posted:

Congrats Nessa!! A 3rd degree is serious business :( Make sure you're using that peri bottle all the time and ask for a sitz bath. Also padsicles. All the padsicles.

What did you wind up deciding for Lydia's middle name?

It’s Elsie after my grandmother, who happened to pass away exactly a year to the day of Lydia’s birth. Wasn’t planned that way though. Was actually hoping for an October 13th birthday.

Congrats Nessa! That's great news! Less about the tearing, of course... Get your husband to harass the staff about getting a pelvic physical therapist referral before you leave, just in case you need one later. I've heard they are a godsend for folks who tore badly.

Oh, my doctor is already going to refer me to a perineal tear clinic and I should have an appointment in 2 weeks. I might also get a referral to a lactation clinic because baby seems to have a lip tie that’s causing her to latch very shallow and bite very hard.

BadSamaritan posted:

The nurses gave me a bunch of instant ice packs and basically a lifetime supply of Tucks and that cooling/numbing perineum spray, A+.

Also keep up on whatever bowel regimen they gave you, you will thank yourself even if it is tough to remember to take them with everything else going on. When whatever it is gets to be too much, taper off rather than stopping everything at once.

I don’t get any Tucks or numbing spray and I can’t seem to easily activate the ice packs. I’m gonna make some padsicles at home.

I haven’t been given a specific regimen beyond just drinking lots of water and eating lots of fibre and taking stool softeners. My doc might go over it more when he comes to discharge me later.

Passing gas is pretty painful though.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
When I made padscicles I used liquid witch hazel, squirted that into the pad, and did a light coat of A&D ointment on top. Folded them back up, froze them, and INSTANT RELIEF. Witch hazel is stupidly cheap, too.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Congratulations Nessa!! Sorry about that tearing though, ouch :(

Just curious, did you (or anyone else) get the big COVID nasal swab when you checked in? If so, how was it? I’m almost more anxious about that than actually giving birth.

Today’s my last day of work until January...weird, feels like I’m going on vacation except I’m definitely not :v:

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Silent Linguist posted:

Just curious, did you (or anyone else) get the big COVID nasal swab when you checked in? If so, how was it? I’m almost more anxious about that than actually giving birth.

Today’s my last day of work until January...weird, feels like I’m going on vacation except I’m definitely not :v:

I've had a couple Covid swabs (they're free and easily accessible in Maryland) and they're uncomfortable but they barely tip the scales of discomfort related to pregnancy and labor. It's on the same level I'd say as getting blood drawn. My toddler got one a few weeks ago due to a scare (it was negative) and it didn't cause any fuss at all.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

So after fifteen months of trying I had my first positive pregnancy test yesterday, on the last possible cycle before our initial appointment with the reproductive endocrinologist. :toot: Now I guess for weeks of paranoia I'm going to lose it until my first appointment with the midwife at 8 weeks, thanks brain.

Also, the endocrinologist said we can keep our appointment if we want. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I think I'm going to keep the appointment just for my own piece of mind, so the relationship is established just in case.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Emily Spinach posted:

So after fifteen months of trying I had my first positive pregnancy test yesterday, on the last possible cycle before our initial appointment with the reproductive endocrinologist. :toot: Now I guess for weeks of paranoia I'm going to lose it until my first appointment with the midwife at 8 weeks, thanks brain.

Also, the endocrinologist said we can keep our appointment if we want. Has anyone been in a similar situation? I think I'm going to keep the appointment just for my own piece of mind, so the relationship is established just in case.

Congratulations! I was in a similar situation- I would recommend keeping the appointment if the practice is ok with it. Best case, you go to an appointment for no real reason but establish a relationship. Worst case, you don’t have to wait longer while feeling miserable to get another appointment.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Congratulations Emily Spinach! That's great news :neckbeard:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Emily Spinach posted:

Congrats!!! I found out I was pregnant the day before I was supposed to start fertility treatments. It turned out that once we stopped putting pressure on ourselves, since we were going to start treatments, it happened for us.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Week ten trip report: every day is an insane crapshoot as to what I will or will not be able to eat without becoming completely sick for the rest of the day - something that was fine yesterday? Nope, it's going to turn your stomach almost immediately upon seeing or smelling it.

I am however very thankful at the moment for the newish Canada Dry ginger ale/lemonade mixture, which is universally somewhat helpful.

Also, no one told me a lot of the fruit flavored stuff was going to all somehow develop a strong metallic flavor!

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

I've had a couple Covid swabs (they're free and easily accessible in Maryland) and they're uncomfortable but they barely tip the scales of discomfort related to pregnancy and labor. It's on the same level I'd say as getting blood drawn. My toddler got one a few weeks ago due to a scare (it was negative) and it didn't cause any fuss at all.

I hope that’s the case for me. I have a big phobia of things going in my face holes. Probably stemming from having to get a lot of eye drops when I was a little kid.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Silent Linguist posted:

I did not, actually! We just got screened a bunch at various steps in the hospital.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I got the nasal swab when I went into the hospital for delivery, it felt like when water goes way up your nose when you jump into a pool. Very uncomfortable, but it was relatively brief, and like others have said, way less painful than labor!

We were talking about epidurals earlier in the thread, where I mentioned my mother had problems with the epidural working for her during her deliveries. I discussed my experience in the parenting thread but I wanted to mention it here as a follow-up since I spoke about my pain management plan here before I gave birth. I ended up going for an epidural because my contractions were incredibly painful. It worked for a few hours but became less effective throughout the course of my labor, to the point where it didn't feel like I'd gotten an epidural at all. I hit the button for re-dosings, and the anesthesiologist came back to give me more, but it still never got back to that numbing experience. I could feel everything, including my legs and feet (no fuzziness or numbness). The nurses were very surprised I could get up and walk very soon after the delivery.

I wanted to communicate this not to scare people, but to encourage folks to have a plan but also mentally prepare for the possibility that things may not work out like you want. I'm really glad my mom told me about her experience so I was aware that a similar situation could happen to me, which did end up happening. I've seen a lot of women (understandably) panic or fall into a depression that they didn't get the birth experience they wanted, or that they didn't get the pain management/relief they expected, and I feel like I would've felt the same if I went into my labor thinking for sure that the epidural was going to take away some or most of my pain.

Fortunately despite the pain on my end, my birth experience was still a positive one for the most part, with a supportive medical staff who respected my decisions and didn't pressure me for more interventions. A big part of that was that my baby and I were showing healthy vitals throughout the labor and delivery, so my doctors allowed me to take the time I needed to push.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Carotid posted:

Congratulations Emily Spinach! That's great news :neckbeard:

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Congrats!!! I found out I was pregnant the day before I was supposed to start fertility treatments. It turned out that once we stopped putting pressure on ourselves, since we were going to start treatments, it happened for us.

BadSamaritan posted:

Congratulations! I was in a similar situation- I would recommend keeping the appointment if the practice is ok with it. Best case, you go to an appointment for no real reason but establish a relationship. Worst case, you don’t have to wait longer while feeling miserable to get another appointment.

Thanks. I ended up losing the pregnancy, but at least fairly quickly so we're in mostly the same place we were when we made the appointment but now we know we can cause a pregnancy together. I also established a relationship with the midwife I was going to be seeing, since she ended up being first available for an appointment yesterday, and confirmed my blood type. My hcg and progesterone were already back to non-pregnant levels yesterday--if I hadn't taken a picture of the positive test I'd think I'd hallucinated it.

I'm sad, of course, but less immediately upset than I was yesterday. I barely had time to get excited, and I think having the data knowing it's lost and having the FRM appointment already scheduled for next Monday help.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Oh Emily, I'm so sorry. It's hard even when it's early.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I’m so sorry :(

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm so sorry to hear that.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I’m sorry Emily, that’s so frustrating. I’m glad to hear that some valuable info can be gained from the pregnancy though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Emily Spinach posted:

Thanks. I ended up losing the pregnancy, but at least fairly quickly so we're in mostly the same place we were when we made the appointment but now we know we can cause a pregnancy together. I also established a relationship with the midwife I was going to be seeing, since she ended up being first available for an appointment yesterday, and confirmed my blood type. My hcg and progesterone were already back to non-pregnant levels yesterday--if I hadn't taken a picture of the positive test I'd think I'd hallucinated it.

I'm sad, of course, but less immediately upset than I was yesterday. I barely had time to get excited, and I think having the data knowing it's lost and having the FRM appointment already scheduled for next Monday help.

I’m so sorry. :( I had a miscarriage last year and it was a rough day to find out at our first ultrasound appointment. I hope you can get pregnant again soon and that things go much better for you!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Hoooooo booyyy I do not remember the nausea being this bad with baby #1. She’s been bringing back crud from daycare almost constantly since the end of summer, so between all of us feeling lousy, the house has gotten a little messy. Today was supposed to be my deep cleaning day, she’s in daycare and husband is at work, but I’m currently sitting on the couch trying not to yak from loading the dishwasher. Even the smell of paper from opening mail was almost enough to induce vom. Only six weeks in, but the crushing fatigue with difficulty sleeping, plus constant nausea, plus caring for an active 18 month old is proving to be a little... difficult. With my first pregnancy, second trimester was a breeze, so hopefully it’s the same this time. Just have to make it another six weeks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

How many labor false alarms did everyone have before you decided to go to the hospital

Also how much crying happened, and how soon before labor.

We're at 39w3d or something, definitely something hormonal changed in the last 72 hours, no "real" contractions yet

Yes, usual disclaimer that every pregnancy is different etc etc