Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Grandito posted:

Does anyone have any tips for fishing in suburban ponds?

I'm in Texas and trying to get back in to fishing, haven't done it much since I was a kid. There are some ponds near me in public parks that the state stocks with catfish and some supposedly have bass and sunfish as well.

Went out a few weekends in a row to try and catch a catfish, because I thought it was supposed to be idiot proof. Put some Magic Bait balls on a hook, with and without a weight, and was never able to get so much as a bite. I tried a couple locations and tried both morning and evening. (My mornings admittedly started at like 9am.) I'm just using the $30 shakespeare rod and spinning reel combo from Academy for now, but afaik it should be fine.

What do I have to do to get some sort of fish on the line in this environment? I just want to prove I can at this point.

Edit: I know there are actually fish in the water because I've seen other fishermen out there. One showed me a picture of a bass he caught, but I don't think I've seen anyone else pull in a fish while I was there.

For catfish, try worms, and fish after dark.
For sunfish, try small spinner baits in the ~45 minutes right before dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Try other ponds too. There is one spot near me that I’ve fished multiple times (out of hellbent frustration) without so much as a nibble, while at another nearby I’m pulling fish out nonstop.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I also will fish out of spite tbh

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

titties posted:

I also will fish out of spite tbh

I “refused to be defeated” but all it got me was multiple lost lures

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Grandito posted:

I'm in Texas and trying to get back in to fishing, haven't done it much since I was a kid. There are some ponds near me in public parks that the state stocks with catfish and some supposedly have bass and sunfish as well.

Went out a few weekends in a row to try and catch a catfish, because I thought it was supposed to be idiot proof. Put some Magic Bait balls on a hook, with and without a weight, and was never able to get so much as a bite. I tried a couple locations and tried both morning and evening. (My mornings admittedly started at like 9am.) I'm just using the $30 shakespeare rod and spinning reel combo from Academy for now, but afaik it should be fine.

What do I have to do to get some sort of fish on the line in this environment? I just want to prove I can at this point.

Worms or crickets are virtually guaranteed to get something biting. In my experience, those doughball baits are next to useless. Stocked cats will go fuckin' nuts over raw shrimp though.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Throw a chunk of hotdog in there and see what you get :)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

King of Bees posted:

Throw a chunk of hotdog in there and see what you get :)
Also a valid dating strategy.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I played hooky and hit the South Platte today. It was freezing, but extremely windy and very little moisture (side note: Grand Lake suffered severe damage from the Troublesome Creek fire and they’re currently evacuating Estes Park. I’m also worried about Rocky Mountain National Park. It has fires on two sides. Please send positive vibes to the Front Range. We desperately need moisture.)

I got on the river around 9:30 and decided to try my newly acquired New Zealand indicator kit. It’s a bit fiddly relative to a bobber an indicator or corqs, and doesn’t suspend nymphs quite as well — I had to apply desiccant shake every 15 minutes or so — but holy crap is this thing like sorcery for spooky fish. No splash, and extremely sensitive to takes. Plus it’s very easy to move when adjusting for depth.

The first spot, just after I said aloud, “I don’t think there are any fish in this run.”

A #22 green top secret midge did the trick.

another one.

Spot two. Same midge.

Hand for scale.

New Zealand Wool. Good stuff.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dangerllama posted:

I played hooky and hit the South Platte today. It was freezing, but extremely windy and very little moisture (side note: Grand Lake suffered severe damage from the Troublesome Creek fire and they’re currently evacuating Estes Park. I’m also worried about Rocky Mountain National Park. It has fires on two sides. Please send positive vibes to the Front Range. We desperately need moisture.)

I got on the river around 9:30 and decided to try my newly acquired New Zealand indicator kit. It’s a bit fiddly relative to a bobber an indicator or corqs, and doesn’t suspend nymphs quite as well — I had to apply desiccant shake every 15 minutes or so — but holy crap is this thing like sorcery for spooky fish. No splash, and extremely sensitive to takes. Plus it’s very easy to move when adjusting for depth.

The first spot, just after I said aloud, “I don’t think there are any fish in this run.”

A #22 green top secret midge did the trick.

another one.

Spot two. Same midge.

Hand for scale.

New Zealand Wool. Good stuff.
I'm partial to lindy rig floats with toothpicks. Easily adjustable and doesn't alter the drift of the nymph. Easy to see and cast as well.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice fish!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Dangerllama posted:

Hand for scale.

I'd have eaten that fucker

Canadianjerkey
Jun 3, 2014
Hi all, I'm new-ish to this whole fishing thing. I figure it'd been two decades since I last had my Dad cast for me, plop the rod into my hands and then run off to try to keep my sister from tangling her line in some trees.

The recent smoke-apocalypse on the West Coast forced me to find a new low-cardio outdoor hobby, and since I live across the street from a lake fishing seemed like the way to go.

Picked up an ugly stik, and started ordering every shiny looking lure I could off amazon. So far all I've caught are bass, though I've been skunked several times going for channel cats, and more recently been skunked waiting around for trout.

Ideally I'm fishing to harvest meat, but local parks asks that largemouth go back, so that's what I do. If there are any folks in the SF Bay who want to link up and socially distance fish feel free to let me know. So far all I've fished is Lake Chabot north of Castro Valley.

This one hit on a white 2-blade spinner

And this feller went for a Strike King 1.5 KVD

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Woof that second one is enormous. Hell yeah!

Canadianjerkey
Jun 3, 2014

Gooch181 posted:

Woof that second one is enormous. Hell yeah!

Yeah, I was pretty stoked on that one! This lake definitely carries a few honkers, the record is 19lb. https://www.westernbass.com/article/19-pound-largemouth-shatters-chabots-lake-record

I don't think that's one I'm gonna catch from shore though.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Canadianjerkey posted:

Yeah, I was pretty stoked on that one! This lake definitely carries a few honkers, the record is 19lb. https://www.westernbass.com/article/19-pound-largemouth-shatters-chabots-lake-record

you absolutely could though. bass like the bank just as well as open water

Canadianjerkey
Jun 3, 2014

Ghostnuke posted:

you absolutely could though. bass like the bank just as well as open water

Well I guess I'll just go ahead and keep my hopes up then!

I had figured they hung out in deeper water, but thinking about it more they don't get big if they don't eat. And most of the food seems closer to shore and veg.

When I wake up early enough I can usually get 45 to 1hr in weekday mornings before the family wakes up, so maybe I'll catch a monster through consistency.

If'n I do y'all can be sure there will be photos. Without photos you can be assured that it jumped the hook and doesn't count, regardless of whatever tale I tell.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Quick update for those waiting with baited breath, but I triangulated my interests and settled on a 2500 Penn Battle III so I can get back into some lure fishing in the surf as well. Figured this reel would be small enough for my lighter rods in freshwater but I could still throw some plastics and lures into the surf as well without worrying about corrosion.

Looking forward to getting back to it and thanks for all the suggestions yall.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Canadianjerkey posted:

When bank/shore fishing for bass always start with a few parallel casts on your right and left. I've had massive bass slam my bait 2 feet from shore. If there's riprap or heavy vegetation even better.

Canadianjerkey
Jun 3, 2014

Untrustable posted:

When bank/shore fishing for bass always start with a few parallel casts on your right and left. I've had massive bass slam my bait 2 feet from shore. If there's riprap or heavy vegetation even better.

Good advice, that syncs up well with what my experience has been so far. There are a few docks along the western shore of Chabot, right close to the marina, that set one up perfectly to crank along the deep side of vegetation.

I've also had a few hits cranking or spinning along a steep rocky face, though only time will tell if that was a one-off or a reliable spot. The unfortunate amount of trash and abandoned line tells me I'm not the only one curious though.

There is also a reservoir about half an hour from me, Lafayette, which has an area that looks like a bay of grass that I want to throw jigs around in.

All of this of course is distracting me from trying to catch fish that I can actually keep! Once my local opens up again, and the fire danger is lower than "extreme" I plan on getting out with some bobber setups, trout magnet grubs, and a book.

Oughta learn me some patience.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Fishing is the ultimate patience builder.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Canadianjerkey posted:

Ideally I'm fishing to harvest meat, but local parks asks that largemouth go back, so that's what I do. If there are any folks in the SF Bay who want to link up and socially distance fish feel free to let me know. So far all I've fished is Lake Chabot north of Castro Valley.

I am out towards the Valley and I regularly hit up Los Vaqueros and Del Valle near Livermore. I believe both places have begun planting trout again, or will soon.

I know Bethany Reservoir near Tracy/Mountain House definitely has big stripers in it. I was there on a relatively windy day a few weeks ago, and a giant one splashed right near shore just as I was on the phone with my buddy telling him nothing was really biting that day, lol. Unfortunately, it seems that bass that have survived that long are savvy enough to leave alone a simple chunk of chicken liver on a circle hook. Maybe the Ned rig is worth a go?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Pulled my limit of trout today, on the feathered dickspoon found only at Kobolds Workshop

Canadianjerkey
Jun 3, 2014

istewart posted:

I am out towards the Valley and I regularly hit up Los Vaqueros and Del Valle near Livermore. I believe both places have begun planting trout again, or will soon.

I know Bethany Reservoir near Tracy/Mountain House definitely has big stripers in it. I was there on a relatively windy day a few weeks ago, and a giant one splashed right near shore just as I was on the phone with my buddy telling him nothing was really biting that day, lol. Unfortunately, it seems that bass that have survived that long are savvy enough to leave alone a simple chunk of chicken liver on a circle hook. Maybe the Ned rig is worth a go?

I've seen a bit on norcalfishingreports with folks pulling some monsters out of Del Valle! https://www.norcalfishreports.com/fish_reports/166764/20#-striped-bass-at-lake-del-valle.php

Now it's just a process to make the time to get out to lakes other than Chabot, and explore some other shorelines. I think it'd be worth it to get a saltwater setup as well, given my proximity to the coast. My Dad lives up in Fort Bragg as well, so I'll need to do some scouting up there.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Probably answered before, but anyone tried Aliexpress for packable ultralight rods/reels?

I’m thinking about a ultralight packable system for next summer, hiking to alpine lakes and streams. I’ve got tenkara for it, but would also like something for some of the larger alpine lakes I’ve seen, where I can’t quite cast all the way out to larger fish I see.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I thought our licenses were in my stolen tackle box, opened my wallet for cash for the first time since maybe march, turns out they were in my wallet the whole time :D not sure why, never kept them there in the past, thanks past me I guess.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gamera009 posted:

Probably answered before, but anyone tried Aliexpress for packable ultralight rods/reels?

I’m thinking about a ultralight packable system for next summer, hiking to alpine lakes and streams. I’ve got tenkara for it, but would also like something for some of the larger alpine lakes I’ve seen, where I can’t quite cast all the way out to larger fish I see.

I have not fished with it, but I bought a 5wt rod from AliExpress for similar reasons. It seems decent, but I’m not really the best at assessing that. The shipping time was pretty quick. I ended up finding a St Croix rod on CL because I didn’t think it was going to arrive in time for a trip we had planned to Bend. It showed up, but that was the week Oregon was on fire and then was no fishing that trip.

If you want to give it a shot I’d sell it for the $20 or I paid.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Grandito posted:

Edit: I know there are actually fish in the water because I've seen other fishermen out there. One showed me a picture of a bass he caught, but I don't think I've seen anyone else pull in a fish while I was there.

Hello fellow texas fisherman, and hello thread I didn't know existed.

I have fished in Texas/Oklahoma my entire life. What part of Texas are you in? I live in the DFW area and generally the ponds in the suburbs are what you would mostly call "highly pressured", meaning they get fished a lot. They are also small enough that the pond running out of fish is definitely a thing. Don't despair, if there is fish in those ponds, I can tell you how to catch them.

Live bait is the best and is generally really easy to find. Nightcrawlers from Walmart or gas stations that sell bait is a great choice. You can also refrigerate worms that you don't use. I would NOT use dead shad or the "stink" bait that is generally advertised as catfish bait in those stores. They suck, are extremely messy to deal with, and you basically have to throw away what you dont use right away. You can also go to your nearest lake and catch bait with a cast net for both fun and free bait, but this is generally something you shouldn't dive into right away unless you like the thought of it.

I find the simplest method to start out with is the old fashion bobber method. I put a bobber stop on my line, then a slip bobber, a very light bullet weight (or called a slip sinker) that is 1/16 or 1/32 ounce , another bobber stop a leaving plenty of space bellow the bobber, and then a hook.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bullet-Weights-USBW116-24-Ultra-Steel-Bullet-Weight-Size-1-16-oz-15-Fishing-Sinkers-per-Bag/16889118
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Bargains-6pcs-Black-Cylindrical-Shaped-Fishing-Float-Stoppers-Sinker-Floater-Bobber/702122622
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thill-Fish-N-Foam-Floats-Cigar-Slip-Peg-Fishing-Lure-Float-Red-White/17127127

The only caveats is that the bobber has to be big enough for the weight and the hook so it doesn't sink, while also not being too big to make it awkward. This setup is also light enough to be easily castable by your shakespear spinning rod/reel.

The hook is also a big decision as it could lead to a few different outcomes. The smaller the hook, the less bait you can use and the small fish you leave yourself open to catching. Sometimes going smaller is better for city ponds as smaller things are what fish are use to foraging on. So using a smaller hook and pinching off parts of the nighcrawler to put on it means you are doing to catch more but sometimes smaller fish. Its just plain effective.

Going bigger with the hooks means you need use more bait and also means that you might rule out a lot of the fish that are in the pond. It will also mean that you can handle larger fish much easier when you finally get one on the other end though where a small hook might bend or they shake off easer. Its all a balance.

Using a bobber also means that you need to deal with the wind. When you cast out your bobber and the wind is blowing the opposite direction, you are probably going to have to recast a lot. The best part of catfishing is sitting on your rear end and not doing a lot of work, so finding the side of the pond to cast the bobber out so the wind is blowing it out is usually a better time. If the day is calm, it doesn't matter.

Once you actually start catching fish, then its time to switch things up to catch bigger fish or to target catfish more specifically. Its better to crawl before you walk though. It also builds confidence in catching fish of a lot of species vs not catching anything while trying to target one.

Hope this helps!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DFW fishin buddies! Sadly I haven't fished any ponds in DFW, but I have fished lake arlington, joe pool, fork, tawakoni and then a handful more lakes out in east texas. I kinda miss 'em. :shobon:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

DFW fishin buddies! Sadly I haven't fished any ponds in DFW, but I have fished lake arlington, joe pool, fork, tawakoni and then a handful more lakes out in east texas. I kinda miss 'em. :shobon:

I am mostly limited to lake grapevine, lake lewisville, and the random trip to texhoma. Next year I am going to hit up the east texas lakes come spring time. Tawakoni has been on the bucket list for a while and I haven't gone out of some planning.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its been a while since I've been back, last trip was 5+ years ago and was caddo, monticello and bob sandlin for 2 weeks. Caddo is gorgeous launching from the state park and heading up the river towards government ditch.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

If you have a kayak doing a overnight float on the Brazos/Trinity River is really fun and a great way to see some nice parts of the country and catch fish from low pressure areas.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
If any of you get back to the east texas area please post. I'll come meet you and we can have a buddy fishing day

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

Sickening posted:

Hello fellow texas fisherman, and hello thread I didn't know existed.

I have fished in Texas/Oklahoma my entire life. What part of Texas are you in? I live in the DFW area and generally the ponds in the suburbs are what you would mostly call "highly pressured", meaning they get fished a lot. They are also small enough that the pond running out of fish is definitely a thing. Don't despair, if there is fish in those ponds, I can tell you how to catch them.

Live bait is the best and is generally really easy to find. Nightcrawlers from Walmart or gas stations that sell bait is a great choice. You can also refrigerate worms that you don't use. I would NOT use dead shad or the "stink" bait that is generally advertised as catfish bait in those stores. They suck, are extremely messy to deal with, and you basically have to throw away what you dont use right away. You can also go to your nearest lake and catch bait with a cast net for both fun and free bait, but this is generally something you shouldn't dive into right away unless you like the thought of it.

I find the simplest method to start out with is the old fashion bobber method. I put a bobber stop on my line, then a slip bobber, a very light bullet weight (or called a slip sinker) that is 1/16 or 1/32 ounce , another bobber stop a leaving plenty of space bellow the bobber, and then a hook.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bullet-Weights-USBW116-24-Ultra-Steel-Bullet-Weight-Size-1-16-oz-15-Fishing-Sinkers-per-Bag/16889118
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Bargains-6pcs-Black-Cylindrical-Shaped-Fishing-Float-Stoppers-Sinker-Floater-Bobber/702122622
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Thill-Fish-N-Foam-Floats-Cigar-Slip-Peg-Fishing-Lure-Float-Red-White/17127127

The only caveats is that the bobber has to be big enough for the weight and the hook so it doesn't sink, while also not being too big to make it awkward. This setup is also light enough to be easily castable by your shakespear spinning rod/reel.

The hook is also a big decision as it could lead to a few different outcomes. The smaller the hook, the less bait you can use and the small fish you leave yourself open to catching. Sometimes going smaller is better for city ponds as smaller things are what fish are use to foraging on. So using a smaller hook and pinching off parts of the nighcrawler to put on it means you are doing to catch more but sometimes smaller fish. Its just plain effective.

Going bigger with the hooks means you need use more bait and also means that you might rule out a lot of the fish that are in the pond. It will also mean that you can handle larger fish much easier when you finally get one on the other end though where a small hook might bend or they shake off easer. Its all a balance.

Using a bobber also means that you need to deal with the wind. When you cast out your bobber and the wind is blowing the opposite direction, you are probably going to have to recast a lot. The best part of catfishing is sitting on your rear end and not doing a lot of work, so finding the side of the pond to cast the bobber out so the wind is blowing it out is usually a better time. If the day is calm, it doesn't matter.

Once you actually start catching fish, then its time to switch things up to catch bigger fish or to target catfish more specifically. Its better to crawl before you walk though. It also builds confidence in catching fish of a lot of species vs not catching anything while trying to target one.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I actually am in DFW, and have mostly been trying to fish at Oak Point/Bob Woodruff parks.

The high pressure is I think what I'm not used to dealing with. I grew up in a rural area and would catch bass in farm ponds and it was never that tricky to do, I even thought I was good at it.

I tried again right before daylight savings using nightcrawlers instead of the store bought bait as you and someone up thread suggested, but no luck yet again. I'm planning to give it one more go this weekend, though.

Would I have a better shot of getting something on a hook by taking a trip out to one of the lakes and bank fishing? I hate that it feels frustrating instead of fun and relaxing like I remembered.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Grandito posted:

Thanks. I actually am in DFW, and have mostly been trying to fish at Oak Point/Bob Woodruff parks.

The high pressure is I think what I'm not used to dealing with. I grew up in a rural area and would catch bass in farm ponds and it was never that tricky to do, I even thought I was good at it.

I tried again right before daylight savings using nightcrawlers instead of the store bought bait as you and someone up thread suggested, but no luck yet again. I'm planning to give it one more go this weekend, though.

Would I have a better shot of getting something on a hook by taking a trip out to one of the lakes and bank fishing? I hate that it feels frustrating instead of fun and relaxing like I remembered.

Its very possible , especially with live bait. Going to a lake from where I suspect you are is going to be a little bit of a drive though. People like the fishing barge in lake lewisville, which might be a better alternative to bank fishing but honest that is all I know, lake-wise without a boat. Fishing is either going to be amazing or total poo poo right now due to the seasonal changes. So patience and trying new places and trying new things is kind of required.

I have been a kayak fishermen most of my life but now I own boats. A cheap kayak to fish out of gives you way more options. Just something to think about. Keep in mind that getting into fishing near winter might leave you frustrated more so than spring.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I want to reiterate my best fishin ponds are the ones most people are gonna be too lazy to get to

Find some that are off the beaten path with google earth

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, fishing pressure directly leads to frustration at bad fishing. You got to go where the dumb fish live, not where all the dumb ones were already caught and only the smart ones now live.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rap music posted:

I want to reiterate my best fishin ponds are the ones most people are gonna be too lazy to get to

Find some that are off the beaten path with google earth

rndmnmbr posted:

Yeah, fishing pressure directly leads to frustration at bad fishing. You got to go where the dumb fish live, not where all the dumb ones were already caught and only the smart ones now live.

Smart fish eat live bait. They just do.

It is good advice though. The best fishing holes aren't public. They are private ponds nobody has fished in years. You are better searching the country roads and asking permission.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Even if it’s public find one that is unkempt and you have to wade thru a little brush to get to. I swear to you most people will spend hours catching nothing at a terrible spot that’s easily accessed rather than deal with the slightest inconvenience to fish a gem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rap music posted:

Even if it’s public find one that is unkempt and you have to wade thru a little brush to get to. I swear to you most people will spend hours catching nothing at a terrible spot that’s easily accessed rather than deal with the slightest inconvenience to fish a gem

Its true. I find that a light kayak and a pond an extreme overgrown bank is very good.