Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or if he was like...gently caress it, I'm going home. And somehow fought his way back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

Or if he was like...gently caress it, I'm going home. And somehow fought his way back down.

But he'd be immediately greeted by Cerberus who wouldn't let him pass and he can't get a Satyr Sack so then he just chills there with infinite pats forever ok I'm in

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ever-dutiful Zagreus returns to his mother's cottage only to find that she left the oven on.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I only meant to upstage Meg, but the run went all the way. Little bummed Hades didn't have a reaction to fighting him with zero Darkness.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was watching a friend play pre-credits and man do I miss that whole buildup to the cottage, the music, the somber mood

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm guessing it has been done already, somewhere. But is there any unique dialog for a first run clear?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oops posted about hades in the wrong thread

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm guessing it has been done already, somewhere. But is there any unique dialog for a first run clear?

Nope.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Nope, but if you want to watch one anyway here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je6qJ_0U1ok

I hadn't realised just how many mechanics aren't there in the first run until I watched it!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Artelier posted:

TIL that to unlock Dusa's next tier of relationship, you need to help with renovations, and I'm not sure exactly which parts need to be touched up but basically try to get at least one of every type of thing. Here I spent the last 30 runs or so thinking I'm unlucky with her conversations.

You need to focus on the lounge and complete the A Place of Revelry prophecy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Color Printer posted:

After 47 failed attempts, today I finally cleared a run for the first time...and then somehow proceeded to do it again three more times for a 4-win streak. I apparently achieved some sort of state of zen today. :stare:

All I need is to clear it with Bow and Shield and then I can start working on those heat runs baby

Same thing happened to me on my first clear. I really think there's a big mental hurdle in getting that first win, since you know how much progression is locked behind it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Popping in to say that I finally killed Hades last night after probably about 30 attempts in a run that I knew was the one halfway through. Turns out, don't sleep on the calls! I've kinda been poo-pooing calls for other boons a lot of the time and had the thought last night that I keep losing to hades because I never have enough single target damage by the time I get to his fight. I can clear the lower levels no problem but when it comes to dealing a lot of damage to a single enemy I never had enough. I took the Artemis' Aid call that shoots the arrow and upgraded the hell out of that and holy poo poo that thing rules.

Edit: I just fuckin love this game when all the boons fall into place and you make a killer build out of nothing that ends up helping you beat the game. It's so satisfying to go from like "well I guess this might work if I get the right thing" to murdering everything on screen with a couple lucky draws.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 22, 2020

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Aphrodite's Call is also a pretty good pick if you want to focus on upgrading other Boons; its damage is huge by default and doesn't scale, so you can leave it at level 1. I like to beat the first half or two-thirds of a boss the old-fashioned way, then mash Call to instantly obliterate their hardest phase. My husband and I have taken to calling it the Horny Nuke

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In my early runs I also didn't take calls. I figured they couldn't be that useful compared to attack/special/cast boons because they required me to build up a meter first :v:

These days I have a blast with calls. There really isn't a bad one. I'm trying to think of a favorite and I sorta can't. Maybe Demeter's, since her voice lines are just so badass when you use a greater call. I guess Ares's call is my least favorite, or at least the one I use the least often, but I imagine it's still really good because it makes you impervious if nothing else.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really don't like the Zeus or Dionysus calls because they require you to be really close to the enemy, close enough that I'll occasionally miss pulses while dodging attacks.

At least Ares and Poseidon makes you invulnerable.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The Demeter call is basically the Zeus/Dionysus call, but better since you can drop it and then dash to safety. The AOE is huge by the end too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The way the game introduces calls is a little weird. You get used to playing a certain way, and now there's this optional new ability with a hard-to-see meter, and to use it you have to pass over another boon that you already understand.

I did a call-focused run recently by starting with Hades' trinket and picking every call boon that came up. It was actually pretty good.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You need Quick Favor and Smoldering Air so you can just spam mini-calls all day instead of fighting

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Color Printer posted:

After 47 failed attempts, today I finally cleared a run for the first time...and then somehow proceeded to do it again three more times for a 4-win streak. I apparently achieved some sort of state of zen today. :stare:

All I need is to clear it with Bow and Shield and then I can start working on those heat runs baby

I think this is a common experience. It took me around 35 tries to get a first clear but after that I have like 15 clears in 30 runs or so. Once you get it you know what you need to do quite easily.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Star posted:

I think this is a common experience. It took me around 35 tries to get a first clear but after that I have like 15 clears in 30 runs or so. Once you get it you know what you need to do quite easily.

It's also the darkness curve. Banging your head against the final boss for 3 runs earns you a lot of darkness from reclearing the earlier boss fights. Getting that 3rd death defiance makes a huge difference in how far you can get.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Post-dad-fight question for y'all, that is probably spoilers. Do you ever unlock the ability to go back to the cottage and see the sunset again? I really miss doing that because it's so peaceful and calming after this whole buildup. While I get that it's nice to be able to just finish a run and start a new one real quick, it'd be nice to see greenery.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arcturas posted:

Post-dad-fight question for y'all, that is probably spoilers. Do you ever unlock the ability to go back to the cottage and see the sunset again? I really miss doing that because it's so peaceful and calming after this whole buildup. While I get that it's nice to be able to just finish a run and start a new one real quick, it'd be nice to see greenery.

Yeah I really wanted to catch a fish for mom

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
I have yet to win without Stubborn Roots or lose with it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Em4 is wild. Happy I ran it without other conditions because it's a big grind

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hades Phase 3 theme is :rock:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So I just got passed the epilogue. My guess is no, since it hasn't been addressed so far, but I also understand there's like a billion edge cases all with voiced lines in this game so -- is the identity or agency of the narrator ever addressed? I was really surprised in the second flashback to see he set the whole drat thing in motion by telling Zag the handwriting was his mother's, and I know Zag calls him "old man" which implies some level of personification.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Digital Osmosis posted:

So I just got passed the epilogue. My guess is no, since it hasn't been addressed so far, but I also understand there's like a billion edge cases all with voiced lines in this game so -- is the identity or agency of the narrator ever addressed? I was really surprised in the second flashback to see he set the whole drat thing in motion by telling Zag the handwriting was his mother's, and I know Zag calls him "old man" which implies some level of personification.

Not directly, but it can be inferred. Buy the bust of the old man from the contractor and examine it.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

So what are in your opinion the best/most fun weapons to play? Mine would be

1. secret sword aspect: great feeling to play when you get the timing down and combine it with the zoning. huge damage, great with crits
2. magnetic fists: the playstyle is very aggressive and fun, and the special slow mo along with the pull is great to play with
3. hades spear: it's really cool to get timings and positioning with the spin attack, great with poseidon boons

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Caveat being its going to be different for different people on different control schemes, but for myself playing on a controller its...

Shield and Fist's - Top tier.
Sword/Spear/Rail - Mid tier.
Bow - Garbage tier.

Bow barely squeaks into being OK after you get some of the other aspects for it but baseline it's just bad.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had a hilarious bow build last night with flurry shot, chain shot, poseidon attack, & poseidon legendary. Just let loose on one guy and everyone else goes flying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hidden fists probably, because they do insane amounts of damage and the dash is cool. Least favorite is the rail, specifically lucifer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mox Hombre posted:

So what are in your opinion the best/most fun weapons to play? Mine would be

1. secret sword aspect: great feeling to play when you get the timing down and combine it with the zoning. huge damage, great with crits
2. magnetic fists: the playstyle is very aggressive and fun, and the special slow mo along with the pull is great to play with
3. hades spear: it's really cool to get timings and positioning with the spin attack, great with poseidon boons

Sword - Hidden Aspect, love how weighty it feels and it's probably one of the easiest to build because all you really need to feel unstoppable is Aphrodite attack
Spear - Hades no question, the debuff on the spin is absurd.
Bow - Chiron obviously, although special shout out to the hidden aspect if you can get the right build going.
Fists - Thanos, probably my favorite weapon period. constantly pulling chumps out of position to you to get dunked on never stops feeling good.
Rail - Straight Zag honestly, the extra ammo provides way more flexibility in what hammers you can make work. Hera is probably overall better but gently caress having to reload after every shot to maximize your DPS.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I like the zaggun because you shoot the most

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Finally got to under 10 minutes with a 9:58. Didn’t get the Zeus/Poseidon duo, but rockets carried me anyway

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Only one I don't like is the shield and I have the most cleared runs with it. It's just kinda boring and safe relative to the other options.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Demeter fists and Hades spear are the most fun weapons for me so far, and Eris rail will probably join it once I put some titans blood into it, but I dont have a whole lot fully upgraded other than the zagreus stuff.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like I have 1 run left, maybe 2 to get to the epilogue. Probably going to have to force a bunch of weird poo poo this next time: demeter, aphrodite, athena and ares. Shouldn't be too bad.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Eris rail is absurd and consistently like 5-10 minutes faster than any of the other weapons for me. I really like chaos shield and Poseidon sword too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Does Forced Overtime just flat out turn off iframes on your dashes? I used to be able to reliably dash through attacks and projectiles on regular speed but get hit every single time I try to do it with FO1 or FO2 on. I've tried varying the timing on my dash but no dice.