Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Why should I, Raphael Ambrosious Costeau, apologise for the actions of this harry fellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
*slams down a fraction of the money I rightfully owe after trashing my room, harassing your employees into quitting, and threatening to shoot myself in the head in front your clientele* I hope you choke on it

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If you didn't want to be the sorry cop, you shouldn't have been so pathetic.

Not very disco to judge people's emotions, man.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
i was sorry cop until i called up hq and got mocked to hell and back. revanchol eats the weak, while ridiculous levels of bravado makes pretty much anyone fall in line

e: immediately after the call, i went back to garte, and decided i was a staunch feminist and that sylvie quit because he was a sexist jerk. this made him feel bad, despite the fact that id just totalled one of his rooms.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 22, 2020

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Anti Horny Game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Anti Horny Game

Ouch

EDIT: Now that I think about it, isn't it quite out-of-character for Inland Empire?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Ouch

EDIT: Now that I think about it, isn't it quite out-of-character for Inland Empire?

Inland Empire has a lot of gut-instinct, and Harry's gut instinct is not to whack it because his junk don't work.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Inland Empire is all about the unmoored hunches and gut feelings whose associated memories have been swept away by the tides of alcohol. The freckles subconsciously remind you of your lost love, so the Inland Empire drowns your libido in melancholy.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

When I first saw footage of Disco Elysium, I misinterpreted the "Inland Empire +1" clothing bonus as an indication that that particular garment showed off your supposed allegiance to a faction called the Inland Empire. Sorta like faction clothing in Fallout New Vegas, but with a more nuanced implementation involving a scaling system, thus the +1.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, Inland Empire seems to still have some degree of access to the memories that your subconscious is actively suppressing which is why it's so often the skill that warns you not to do something that's going to bring you into direct contact with your past, whether that's the Ex-something or even just looking at your own reflection in the mirror.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Based on the description Inland Empire isn't the perfect fit for that, but I can't think of anywhere else it'd fit better.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Inland empire is a very supernatural ability. It knows many things that your character is physically incapable of knowing, like the killer's location and motivation.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Inland Empire was by far my favorite skill.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Inland Empire is one of Disco Elysium's best tricks when it comes to obscuring its own level of magical realism. At first you might think it's fully supernatural, then you start to realize that most of the hunches and gut feelings are rooted in your own past actions and experiences, only for the skill to then pull the rug from under you with things you genuinely shouldn't be able to know.

That said, Inland Empire knowing the killer's location could have to do with Harry subconsciously picking up the angles of the various newer bullet holes around Martinaise, as well as the occasional odd glints from the Deserter's scope.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Half Light is

The Best Skill™

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, Inland Empire skirts this kind of line where it seems like it might be supernatural but it's also maybe just articulating the thinks your subconscious picks up that you're not aware of and uses diffuse thinking to make connections. It might be supernatural in the way that it lets you communicate with the phasmid, but that's just as likely to simply be a conversation you're having with yourself project onto another being which is also why it's so meaningful that it's maybe the one conversation where you're kind to yourself but it's not explicitly supernatural in the way that Shivers is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The conversation with the corpse that you get from passing an Inland Empire check is pretty essential to understanding just how supernatural the skill is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
But are you really talking to the corpse?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I figured some of the investigative hints empire drops could be stuff Harry intuited during his pre-game bender in Martinaise.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

JustaDamnFool posted:

I figured some of the investigative hints empire drops could be stuff Harry intuited during his pre-game bender in Martinaise.

That kind of works with the whole interconnected web aspect of Inland Empire too, neither Harry nor the world can escape from the influences of the past, even if they're not consciously remembered.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The only thing Inland Empire gives you during that part that I can't really find a non-supernatural explanation for is that he was killed by communism. I suppose it's possible he's picking that up from somewhere but I just don't know what would be tipping off your subconscious at that point

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I always heard Inland Empire in Gordon Cole’s voice from Twin Peaks for obvious reasons

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Pattonesque posted:

I always heard Inland Empire in Gordon Cole’s voice from Twin Peaks for obvious reasons

lol I thought it was a little more subtle, but this is good too.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

EorayMel posted:

Anti Horny Game

my soul has been scoured by psychic steel wool.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Inland Empire does not mince words and always seems to hit home and hit hard.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I was wondering, seeing as inland empire is supposed to be your intuition and all, does it ever get things wrong?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

JustaDamnFool posted:

I was wondering, seeing as inland empire is supposed to be your intuition and all, does it ever get things wrong?

it has its own agenda that you might not agree with. it wants to obscure your past pains.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
My first (and thus far only) playthrough was to max out Inland Empire, Physical Instrument and Electrochemistry and I do not regret that for a moment. What an insane blend of deep, Lynchian beauty mixed with outrageous, aggressive behaviour.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

christmas boots posted:

The only thing Inland Empire gives you during that part that I can't really find a non-supernatural explanation for is that he was killed by communism. I suppose it's possible he's picking that up from somewhere but I just don't know what would be tipping off your subconscious at that point

He was killed in the middle of a conflict with a communist group (the union/hardies) where they were the main suspects. I didn’t think anything of it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The union aren't communists.

I really need to remember to start a quick game with maxed out Inland Empire just so I can talk to the eyes.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It would be wrong to besmirch the noble name of Social-Democracy wiith associations to the dastardly communards.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

DrDraxium posted:

My first (and thus far only) playthrough was to max out Inland Empire, Physical Instrument and Electrochemistry and I do not regret that for a moment. What an insane blend of deep, Lynchian beauty mixed with outrageous, aggressive behaviour.

My first was all in on encyclopedia, inland empire, and visual calculus. It was a wild ride. leaning into half light and the physical stuff on round 2 was also great.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I did encyclopedia, logic and physical instrument which made for an interesting character. Couldn't catch anything thrown at me, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Everyone gets sorry cop their first time.

I did not!

I was a Superstar Communist Cop of the Apocalypse!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just started off with the Thinker archetype, which was a real blast because you start off with 2 health and 1 morale :shepface:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fuzz posted:

I did not!

I was a Superstar Communist Cop of the Apocalypse!

of course you were. so strong, so brave, so free of all frailty!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Fister Roboto posted:

I just started off with the Thinker archetype, which was a real blast because you start off with 2 health and 1 morale :shepface:

Same. I remember running my hand on the clutch of Kim's car and then having a meltdown and quitting the force. Also it made the Evrart boss battle really frustrating until I knew what I was doing.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Fister Roboto posted:

I remember something doing something similar on my first try, then going through a dialogue where I lost all morale and died. Turned me off from the game for a while. Having health and morale loss lead to fail states was a bad design choice, imo (especially when those states can sometimes come after ten minutes of reading). ZA/UM got rid of a lot of other video game tropes and DE is stronger for it.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 23, 2020

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

But have you considered that having a heart attack because you sat in an uncomfortable chair is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Giving up on police work because of a conversation with a gobby child