Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've never gotten angry ghost to do anything but sit there like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KillHour posted:

Once in a blue moon he'll shoot the last projectile you fired at the nearest enemy. Sometimes with hella proj speed for no apparent reason, which can cause fun with black holes.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 22, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Really? I wonder if there's a bug. Every time I've gotten it, it will consistently shoot at enemies on screen. It's super helpful early on.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Sweet, but wow there's a lot of stuff there, I'll have to make sure to turn it all off except for some of the minor quality of life stuff

It's very well-made -- I believe by default only the new perks and spells (which fit in very well!) and a few UI improvements (like a counter above your head that shows the gold you've recently collected) are turned on but they can easily be toggled all at once or one by one. Then there's a very user friendly menu with tooltips explaining what all of the other features do and you can toggle them as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Really? I wonder if there's a bug. Every time I've gotten it, it will consistently shoot at enemies on screen. It's super helpful early on.

I've never seen him actually hit anything but he tries.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Got stuck in goldworld due to Saving Grace + Extra Life, but found a solution: drink 2~3 flasks of gold. For once the "pick up items and forget to use them" strategy pays off. :v:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

I gotta say, not being certain to start with some water is a total buzzkill

the latest update mitigates this somewhat by adding the brine, swamp and mud potions which generally seem to function like water.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

I was wondering about this last night, i've tried the perk 3 or so times and never had it do anything :(

Somehow i only just clicked today that death cross + homing is super effective

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I was wondering about this last night, i've tried the perk 3 or so times and never had it do anything :(

Somehow i only just clicked today that death cross + homing is super effective

Spark Bolt w/ Trigger + Death Cross is also quite good, especially if you can get it to stupid levels of rapid fire.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And then I fired it off in the holy mountain and got steve'd

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

am i wrong in thinking they once had a thing where enemies wouldn't use nuke wands if they picked them up? because lol
https://i.imgur.com/4c8gERF.mp4

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You almost survived too...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Runestone of fire does not gently caress around

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a rule of thumb for which wands work with the “this spell doesn’t hurt you” modifier? I just annihilated myself with a giant black hole I thought I was safe from.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Futaba Anzu posted:

am i wrong in thinking they once had a thing where enemies wouldn't use nuke wands if they picked them up? because lol

as far as i'm aware enemies grabbing / using nuke wands has always been a thing and it continues to be incredible

i got an ending with toxic gold (4 orbs). i don't know if there's anything to do in the world after this other than start a new game

also i really wish getting super hosed up on fungus had a secret use :shroom:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Whoa, is this new with 1.0? This makes experimenting with wands much easier to grok.

https://i.imgur.com/z8y38dF.mp4

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yep and it's cool as hell

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I never use it because I'm always worried my wand will destroy the temple

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Technically that's the end, once you take the portal at the bottom of Temple of the Art it's a straight shot to the final boss. I say "technically" because if you have a way to get through the sea of lava under the boss arena you can dig down into Hell, which loops indefinitely.

Great, cheers!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

man this nightmare run is going to be awesome
https://i.imgur.com/NraZzCf.mp4
oh death by shotgun blast

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

also i really wish getting super hosed up on fungus had a secret use :shroom:

I seem to recall that it gives you the ability to see through walls. But you're much better off getting the effect from worm juice since it doesn't include the drugs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Futaba Anzu posted:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Ciaphas posted:

Whoa, is this new with 1.0? This makes experimenting with wands much easier to grok.

https://i.imgur.com/z8y38dF.mp4

Yep, speaking of which I finally actually bothered to pay attention to spell sequence and noticed a cool trick with Increase Mana: if you have a spamtastic wand for digging between levels and shredding enemies, but uses costly spells and you have an Increase Mana, you can use the fact that a (non-multicast) modifier at the end will cast the first projectile again.

Here's an example

Each cycle this wand casts 3 projectiles:
1: [Increase Mana] + [Chainsaw]
2: placeholder (Luminous Deathbeam) trigger/stack
3: [Light] + [Increase Mana] + [Chainsaw]

...which is useful because Increase Mana is rare so you can make even more incredibly stupid wands. Also this works with other modifiers as well, like putting 2x Chainsaw at the beginning and a doublecast at the end, to double the Recharge reduction effect.

edit: this wand is built mainly for digging, here it is after some slight upgrades (the wand has a very slow innate mana regen, but since the overall cost is 53 (-60 from 2x Increase Mana) so it never runs out.

Digs pretty well

Maybe I should have bothered to put some damage spells in there, since it took a whopping 3 seconds to kill The Dragon?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 23, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can do chainsaw, double cast, spark bolt with trigger to get a wand that goes

1. Chainsaw
2.a Spark bolt that triggers into chainsaw (first double cast)
2.b Chainsaw (second double cast)

for 3 chainsaws on 2 frames, with each frame having chainsaw's animation breaking effect. And it does pretty good damage per shot.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

resistentialism posted:

You can do chainsaw, double cast, spark bolt with trigger to get a wand that goes

1. Chainsaw
2.a Spark bolt that triggers into chainsaw (first double cast)
2.b Chainsaw (second double cast)

for 3 chainsaws on 2 frames, with each frame having chainsaw's animation breaking effect. And it does pretty good damage per shot.

Yeah that's basically the wand I was using for damage, until I found an Increase Mana. The reason I specified using a 'non-multicast' to loop the sequence is that I'm trying not to kill my framerate. :v:

The goal of this wand is to dig quickly through Extremely Dense Stuff using an extended-range Luminous Drill. Currently the only way I can do that is Ping-Pong Path, but that modifier makes projectiles last longer and if it applies to Chainsaw and Digging Bolt on a turbospam wand it creates lag (especially since those projectiles generate particle effects) and if the spells have sound effects eventually spamming will bug out the game so it stops playing any sounds.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I haven't found a single chainsaw in 1.0 yet :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I haven't found a single chainsaw in 1.0 yet :smith:

I usually find at least 1 in the first 3 shops.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

help

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
A new fun thing in the tree, left of the first wiggling egg

It gives you bonus gold but causes things near you to spontaneously turn into cursed material that damages you on contact, solids AND liquids

I want to see someone beat the game with this bc it seems like a death sentence

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there any immunity perk? Because I’ll mod that on myself from the start with zero shame.

e: If you keep moving, you can stay ahead of it. Also, you can remove the curse in the holy mountain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really think I would enjoy this game better if there wasn't so much random bullshit that kills you out of nowhere.

So much of the game seems to be based around either that happening or you forgetting to juggle some plate and then that killing you instead.

And then you have to crawl back through the early game with all the boring poo poo again.

It feels like trying to play a game that just crashes constantly.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 23, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I really think I would enjoy this game better if there wasn't so much random bullshit that kills you out of nowhere.

But that's the entire point of the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've played it for apparently 30 hours and I have spent about 90% of that shooting basic enemies with spark bolt or something equally underpowered.

It's just extremely repetitive. Every time I get to a part that isn't the same poo poo something stupid happens and I die, and then I have to grind for another god knows how long until I can get back to where I was.

And I think the fact that the game is so lethal and encourages such a slow approach to everything as a result, as well as heavily encouraging maximising your exploration of each level to find as many health pickups as possible (as well as that also being linked to how you actually access the content of the game in terms of spells and areas) is very much at odds with the fact that you have to play the whole thing over again every time you die.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 23, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

I usually find at least 1 in the first 3 shops.

I finally found some chainsaws! And shield, mana charge, wand recharge, and damage up modifiers!

https://i.imgur.com/Ux05r8K.mp4

Unfortunately, I forgot that plague of rats + more hate is a bad combination

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I've played it for apparently 30 hours and I have spent about 90% of that shooting basic enemies with spark bolt or something equally underpowered.

It's just extremely repetitive. Every time I get to a part that isn't the same poo poo something stupid happens and I die, and then I have to grind for another god knows how long until I can get back to where I was.

And I think the fact that the game is so lethal and encourages such a slow approach to everything as a result, as well as heavily encouraging maximising your exploration of each level to find as many health pickups as possible (as well as that also being linked to how you actually access the content of the game in terms of spells and areas) is very much at odds with the fact that you have to play the whole thing over again every time you die.

don't tell anyone but sometimes I just spawn a chainsaw and a fast wand to use for it, so i can power through the first two levels with easy digging and move on to the more interesting biomes without having to get so bogged down hunting in the mines

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

eke out posted:

don't tell anyone but sometimes I just spawn a chainsaw and a fast wand to use for it, so i can power through the first two levels with easy digging and move on to the more interesting biomes without having to get so bogged down hunting in the mines

Honestly, the game feels almost unplayable if you don't get either a chainsaw (or multiple chainsaws) with a decently fast wand, or a trigger spell with some multi-casts to abuse with it. Once you get to hisi base you really don't stand a chance without one of those two general types of wands, which is kind of a shame because I feel like there's so many fun tools that I just can't justify using. Shooting rocks or eggs that spawn friends is really cool!...but useless after the first three areas. Buzzsaws and arrows are fun and chaotic!...but it's too easy to kill yourself with them compared to how little damage they deal. Look at all these powerful explodey spells!...that only come with 10 charges, and there are way too many enemies with way too much health for them to be worth using.

It's certainly possible to make more janky / creative wands and use them later in the game, but it takes so long to get there and the enemies get so difficult by the time you get the tools to make them that it never feels worth it. Early on would be the perfect time for this kind of stuff, before you've spent half an hour of your time and all the enemies have so much health that the weird janky wands can't easily deal with them. It's super hard to justify using those kind of wands when you know you're probably just going to be throwing out the last 20-30 minutes of playtime when you could easily just make a machinegun or a nuke and breeze on through. Sure, machineguns and nukes are super fun to use and satisfying when you get a really good one working, but I do wish that there was more viable variety than just those.

I know metagame progression isn't a big Thing in Noita, but maybe widening the spell pool in early levels as you accumulate more runs would help things out. Then new players won't be overwhelmed more than they already are, and experienced players will get more of the fun tools early on.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Honestly, the game feels almost unplayable if you don't get either a chainsaw (or multiple chainsaws) with a decently fast wand, or a trigger spell with some multi-casts to abuse with it. Once you get to hisi base you really don't stand a chance without one of those two general types of wands,
absolutely false

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

absolutely false

Hisii base is where basically all noteworthy enemies have ranged attacks. Given how that's also where suddenly half the walls are made of steel, that level seems largely designed around the assumption that the player is either able to destroy terrain by that point, or has enough skill (and strategically prepared the right wands ahead of time) to avoid getting overrun while trying to dodge bullets.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm going to go record myself beating hisi base with just some basic bitch damage wand and no trigger multi-cast or chainsaw shenanigans out of spite, brb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's easy to get bogged down trying to "finish" each zone before moving on and that's not really necessary most of the time. Probably one of the most important early game tips is to remember to use terrain for cover and environmental things to help you deal more damage when your wand is still a bit underpowered, such as using water on fire enemies, using typical rogue-like doorway/corridor/pinch point tactics to control where you can be attacked from, ducking into cover to avoid being hit, kicking and throwing items for physics damage which is much higher than wand damage at early levels. I go through the mines usually with a couple of goals in mind before I move on - get "enough" gold, I'd say 400 is plenty to start with, find a fast wand (the yellow or green shuffle wands are fine for this and there's a rarer red one now too), find an improved no-shuffle wand as an upgrade to the starter blue wand, grab the tablet. If I get anything better than that it's a bonus but if my health hits 25 I'll head to the exit regardless of how many goals I've hit. Loading up a fast wand with cheap spells can spam out a ton of damage, or alternatively a slow but steady stream of heavier hitting spells such as energy sphere or magic arrow are fine too. Even if you don't find a good fast wand you can get a bit of mileage out of spark bolt on the starter red wand.

Going into the second level I like having one main shooter, and either a method to dig or a method to bomb areas for gold collection. Optimally a teleport or a trigger+return is a good thing to have here as a third wand as it means you can enter and leave the holy mountain and edit your wands even if you don't have the perk. I like leaving the second level with at least 1000 gold or at least a couple of wand upgrades. Once I've got that much gold I am fine with tossing the digger/bomb wand for a better wand if I find one so it's possible to leave with 3 wand/spell upgrades. If the main part of the coal pits doesn't have decent wands, going left to the fungal caverns should find a significant wand upgrade, both in number of slots and amount of mana. There are usually good potions like ambrosia or invisibility around too. If you can go back and edit wands to make something even better it's worth doing so here. These two first levels are critical to surviving the third level since the difficulty really jumps. If you're really underpowered it is possible to sneak around while invisible and throw tablets for stealth kills, as long as you don't get stained by anything else. Again going back and updating your wands if you can is very important, and just racing to the bottom of the ice level and hoping for something decent in the third shop is fine too.

OwlFancier I don't want to tell you you're playing the game wrong but if you aren't enjoying it maybe something like the mod that makes the heart upgrades heal your health, or the mod that makes enemies sometimes drop health power ups might make this more survivable and enjoyable for you (assuming either work with 1.0). I'm honestly garbage at action type games and still find myself doing okay at this one - there's a lot more going on than just the journey from top to bottom and I really want you to see more of the game and get the same fun out of it that I do.

Edit to add: throwing the tablet is REALLY good damage and a skill worth improving. I've seen someone finish the early access version of the game purely on tablet throws and kicks. God tier wands are not necessary.