Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Is there an iOS 14 widget replacement for Eventail? Something changed when the new widgets came in and old style widgets only display when you swipe left from the Home Screen, they’re blank if you do it from notification centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oh heck yeah, Outlook finally got iOS 14 widgets

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Coming over from Android apps two apps/functions on the iPhone are driving me insane, I thought I could get used to the quirks but I can't.

1) The Phone. Specifically phone notifications and spam calls.
When I get a notification from the phone app it just reads "Phone" on the left with the icon, and "Notification" on the right. That's it. Was it a missed call? Was it spam? Who called? is it a voicemail? Nothing, just "Notification". And when I tap the notification, it defaults to return call. Why in the ever loving hell would I want to return a phone call when I don't even know it was a call in the first place and I don't know the number/contact? Makes no sense. Worse, I've had phone calls come in that were marked as "Potential Spam" and the default action on tapping those notifications? Return call. Yeah, totally sensible.

In addition to that, the phone app has an option for whether you want to silence spam calls. Great, I'd love to do that but as far as I can tell if Apple/the phone thinks a call is spam without your telling it directly it has a separate category for "Potential Spam", which doesn't follow the spam rules. Why is it telling me it thinks it's spam but not actually following the rules for spam calls? Or, just let me set that option, do I want "Potential Spam" to be handled like "Spam"? Yes please, however if such option exists I can't find it.

There has to be some way to at least get a better notification and turn off returning calls as the default action, right?

2) The Alarm. I used a single alarm app for... well as long as I can remember on Android. It was great, and thus it formed the idea of what should be baseline on a good alarm app. Not only does the default alarm not even do one of the things I expect completely, I can't find a single alarm app on the store that does one either. Here is what I'd like to have:

- Alarm sound can be freely chosen from anything in my music without restriction. Preferable I'd want a single track shuffled daily out of several albums but worse case scenario just being any shuffled music track would be an upgrade over what I can find.
- The ability to easily skip the next alarm. So say if I'm off tomorrow, I want to be able to just tell it skip tomorrow and not have to turn off the alarm and turn it back on later or jump through other hoops.
- Set days it will be skipped by default. Ideally by importing a standard list, like US Federal Holidays, and customizing them from there.
- Alter the time for the next alarm only, then it goes back to the standard setting.

I'm sure there has to be an alarm app that can do all that, but between the default Apple alarm and three popular ones, none of them fit the bill and I gave up in disgust. Without me having to dig through every alarm app in the store, does anyone know of one that can do all that?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

nessin posted:

2) The Alarm. I used a single alarm app for... well as long as I can remember on Android. It was great, and thus it formed the idea of what should be baseline on a good alarm app. Not only does the default alarm not even do one of the things I expect completely, I can't find a single alarm app on the store that does one either. Here is what I'd like to have:

- Alarm sound can be freely chosen from anything in my music without restriction. Preferable I'd want a single track shuffled daily out of several albums but worse case scenario just being any shuffled music track would be an upgrade over what I can find.
- The ability to easily skip the next alarm. So say if I'm off tomorrow, I want to be able to just tell it skip tomorrow and not have to turn off the alarm and turn it back on later or jump through other hoops.
- Set days it will be skipped by default. Ideally by importing a standard list, like US Federal Holidays, and customizing them from there.
- Alter the time for the next alarm only, then it goes back to the standard setting.

I'm sure there has to be an alarm app that can do all that, but between the default Apple alarm and three popular ones, none of them fit the bill and I gave up in disgust. Without me having to dig through every alarm app in the store, does anyone know of one that can do all that?

I'm back on android, but when I was using iOS, I never found anything close to AMdroid for flexibility in modifying and scheduling times. I don't think it exists.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

nessin posted:

Coming over from Android apps two apps/functions on the iPhone are driving me insane, I thought I could get used to the quirks but I can't.

1) The Phone. Specifically phone notifications and spam calls.
When I get a notification from the phone app it just reads "Phone" on the left with the icon, and "Notification" on the right. That's it. Was it a missed call? Was it spam? Who called? is it a voicemail? Nothing, just "Notification". And when I tap the notification, it defaults to return call. Why in the ever loving hell would I want to return a phone call when I don't even know it was a call in the first place and I don't know the number/contact? Makes no sense. Worse, I've had phone calls come in that were marked as "Potential Spam" and the default action on tapping those notifications? Return call. Yeah, totally sensible.

In addition to that, the phone app has an option for whether you want to silence spam calls. Great, I'd love to do that but as far as I can tell if Apple/the phone thinks a call is spam without your telling it directly it has a separate category for "Potential Spam", which doesn't follow the spam rules. Why is it telling me it thinks it's spam but not actually following the rules for spam calls? Or, just let me set that option, do I want "Potential Spam" to be handled like "Spam"? Yes please, however if such option exists I can't find it.

There has to be some way to at least get a better notification and turn off returning calls as the default action, right?

The first problem sounds like you have the privacy setting which hides the details of notifications on your home screen.
Settings -> Notifications -> Show Previews

The default alarm is a bit basic, there is a much better alarm if you go through the Health app. Open Health App -> Browse -> Sleep -> Your Schedule. This lets you set a sleep schedule and a wind down time, and also gives you options on the home screen to skip next alarm, and edit next alarm.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Slash posted:

The first problem sounds like you have the privacy setting which hides the details of notifications on your home screen.
Settings -> Notifications -> Show Previews

The default alarm is a bit basic, there is a much better alarm if you go through the Health app. Open Health App -> Browse -> Sleep -> Your Schedule. This lets you set a sleep schedule and a wind down time, and also gives you options on the home screen to skip next alarm, and edit next alarm.

Hmm? How do you skip next alarm without going right into the Health app? Is this a widget or something?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

On the lock screen if you're in 'wind down' there's a skip button. One sec let me take a screenshot.

Wind down mode lock screen:

If you click the time you get the following options: (and they only apply to the next alarm)

Slash fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 21, 2020

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

nessin posted:

What have you done that the pick a song button doesn’t work? Is your music in .ogg or something?

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 21, 2020

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

What have you done that the pick a song button doesn’t work? Is your music in .ogg or something?

It's only a single song. I want to select a wide range of music and have the alarm sound picked randomly from the list each time the alarm goes off. I don't want the same sound every day and I don't want to have to go into the alarm settings to pick a new one every day.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Gunslinger posted:

Hmm? How do you skip next alarm without going right into the Health app? Is this a widget or something?

Pull down from the top right corner to get the Control Center, tap on the alarm clock, tap on Change, and then turn off the alarm. This will only disable the next alarm. If the alarm clock isn't in Control Center then go add it via the Control Center Settings.

For the other question about importing a list of holidays and so on, Siri should just do it for you. Whenever a non-working holiday comes up I always get a notification on the lock screen asking if I want to disable the alarm for the coming day since it's a holiday.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Posted twice by accident.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 21, 2020

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Slash posted:

On the lock screen if you're in 'wind down' there's a skip button. One sec let me take a screenshot.

Wind down mode lock screen:

If you click the time you get the following options: (and they only apply to the next alarm)

Ok awesome I'll give it a whirl tonight, thanks for the effort post man.

Edit: the other way looks good too, cheers.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has Google said anything about enabling PiP on iOS in YouTube? Are they going to try and keep this Android exclusive? Maybe they’ll include it as a feature in YouTube Premium like background play?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Has Google said anything about enabling PiP on iOS in YouTube? Are they going to try and keep this Android exclusive? Maybe they’ll include it as a feature in YouTube Premium like background play?

It was doable briefly after iOS 14 dropped but then they pushed out an app update that blocked it.

Unlikely it will ever return as-is because it completely bypasses the Youtube Premium restrictions.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think it’s possible now to do on Safari? The actual app doesn’t have this feature and it certainly isn’t a YouTube Premium thing currently.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's been whackamole since the feature was enabled, every time someone figures out a way to do PIP with an iPhone youtube shuts it down. There's probably some technique out there to do it but that'll take some quality time with google.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The awful app does it :eng101:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skeezy posted:

I think it’s possible now to do on Safari? The actual app doesn’t have this feature and it certainly isn’t a YouTube Premium thing currently.

I just tried with Firefox and Safari to no avail. Oh well! I can live with it and just hope YouTube turns it into a premium benefit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Waze doing this for anyone else?

The google bar is obscuring my vehicle icon and I can't get it to disappear. I've got the google assistant option switched off in settings, not really sure what to do now. It's not disasterous but it's super annoying.

I'm not sure when this started happening but I'm fairly sure I didn't turn any options on as I haven't touched settings in half a year, except to make sure the google stuff was turned off after I noticed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s weird, my search bar is at the top.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Is Waze doing this for anyone else?

The google bar is obscuring my vehicle icon and I can't get it to disappear. I've got the google assistant option switched off in settings, not really sure what to do now. It's not disasterous but it's super annoying.

I'm not sure when this started happening but I'm fairly sure I didn't turn any options on as I haven't touched settings in half a year, except to make sure the google stuff was turned off after I noticed.

It looks like it has a handle; can that be dragged down or up?

e: in portrait, anyway

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Nope, all that bar does is expand the google .. thing. No option to move it. I filed a bug report and tweeted at them. We’ll see. I’ll update if I get any feedback.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 23, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Migrated my old phone over to the new one. Outlook is notifying me of emails that come into my other inbox, not just the focused inbox like it says it should in the notification settings. Weirdness from the migration probably?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

anyone else unable to access app store listings from their “purchased” list? if i tap on an app from there i get the “cannot connect to app store” error, but i can search and open app listings from search results just fine. i just noticed this today, it was working fine a few days ago. pretty weird

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Weedle posted:

anyone else unable to access app store listings from their “purchased” list? if i tap on an app from there i get the “cannot connect to app store” error, but i can search and open app listings from search results just fine. i just noticed this today, it was working fine a few days ago. pretty weird
Yep, same thing here.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Protocol7 posted:

Migrated my old phone over to the new one. Outlook is notifying me of emails that come into my other inbox, not just the focused inbox like it says it should in the notification settings. Weirdness from the migration probably?

Not exactly that. I had an indicator for 14+unread emails. if a new email came in and i read it the indicator went away until new emails came in. At which case
i’d have “15” again. I replaced my outlook with the testflight version i previously used and the issue is resolved.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That particular bug of Outlook is never going away, I’m sure they’ll break it again between the version you have on TestFlight and the public release.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Weedle posted:

Experiencing the same thing on my new 12 Pro.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

lignicolos posted:

Experiencing the same thing on my new 12 Pro.

Same on my 12 pro as well.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

thanks, glad it’s not just me. hopefully they fix it soon. i used to hope that maybe they would add some sort of sorting or filtering options to that list but at this point i’ve been reduced to hoping that the list as it exists now works properly. sad!!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone else use nPlayer here? For some reason, it just can’t see my Chromecast any more no matter what I do, despite other apps being able to see and stream to it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone else use nPlayer here? For some reason, it just can’t see my Chromecast any more no matter what I do, despite other apps being able to see and stream to it.
Wild guess but did it start with iOS 14? There’s a new permissions dialog for apps about scanning the network so if you disabled that it would explain it. It’s in the Settings app under Privacy > Local Network (or directly under Settings > nPlayer).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

japtor posted:

Wild guess but did it start with iOS 14? There’s a new permissions dialog for apps about scanning the network so if you disabled that it would explain it. It’s in the Settings app under Privacy > Local Network (or directly under Settings > nPlayer).
Only seemed to start happening as of today, last time it worked was on Friday but I can’t remember if a new 14.2 public beta had come out since then.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

benisntfunny posted:

Not exactly that. I had an indicator for 14+unread emails. if a new email came in and i read it the indicator went away until new emails came in. At which case
i’d have “15” again. I replaced my outlook with the testflight version i previously used and the issue is resolved.

I ended up just flipping the settings for notifications back and forth. Now it works as it did before.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Question Mark Mound posted:

Only seemed to start happening as of today, last time it worked was on Friday but I can’t remember if a new 14.2 public beta had come out since then.
Actually it happened to me too after I posted that. I updated to 14.1 late but pretty sure I've still been using nPlayer since then. That privacy switch was (or at least seemed to be) the culprit for me. There's another one for Bluetooth permission iirc in case the Chromecast needs that too.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Whats the go to recommendation for a document scanning app that can output an OCR’d PDF and upload it to Google Drive?

So far One Lens is the best I’ve tried, and free, but seems to be missing the Google Drive part due to being an MS app. Anything else I should try? I’m not opposed to paying for something, although am less keen on the $9.99/month apps, of which there seem to be a few...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

Whats the go to recommendation for a document scanning app that can output an OCR’d PDF and upload it to Google Drive?

So far One Lens is the best I’ve tried, and free, but seems to be missing the Google Drive part due to being an MS app. Anything else I should try? I’m not opposed to paying for something, although am less keen on the $9.99/month apps, of which there seem to be a few...

Scanner Pro

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Scanner Pro

⬆️

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hey all - brand new iOS user coming from Android. Question about CarPlay - is there a way in either google maps or waze to show the next track that is playing in spotify or I guess it would be called now playing? It's weird I can get Waze turn notifications in Now Playing but not vice versa.

For example when a song ends, if i'm in Waze in Android Auto i'll get a little popup notification with the song title/artist that was next up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
What do people here like for cooking/recipe collection apps? I was using Copy Me That on my old phone, but apparently it’s been removed from the App Store so I can’t have it on my new phone. I think the main feature I’d really like it to have is good scraping/importing of recipes when given a link to a recipe webpage.