Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sprayed with oven cleaner overnight, and an hour with vinegar (maybe 5% isn't concentrated enough?). I don't think I can scrub it any cleaner.

So back to seasoning - at what temperature and for how long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Xander77 posted:

So back to seasoning - at what temperature and for how long?

I've tried a few different methods, and my best results have been with grapeseed oil and following the Field Company guide

https://fieldcompany.com/pages/how-to-season-cast-iron-pan-skillet-instructions

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's a really good looking guide! I disagree with it on Flax oil, but live and let live.

More options for oils, in order from best to worst: safflower, soybean, sunflower, canola (sort descending) combined with smoke points. Don't use olive oils or blended oils or animal fat for your initial seasoning if you can avoid them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nettle Soup posted:

Do another couple of coats and see how it looks then.

Did this, didn't really improve the look, but made some eggs this morning and they slid around just fine. :iiam:

Guess I'll leave well enough alone.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have a crisbee puck i got with a Kickstarter and it's pretty awesome.
I'd pay $15 for one if i ever run out.

https://crisbee.org/collections/shop/products/crisbee-puck-tin

My carbon steel pan has only started to black after some high heat cooking, otherwise it's been a golden brown nonstick finish.

I've noticed before that striaght vegetable oil will leave a spotted finish as well, even with buffing before polymerizing.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 8, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

toplitzin posted:

I have a crisbee puck i got with a Kickstarter and it's pretty awesome.
I'd pay $15 for one if i ever run out.

https://crisbee.org/collections/shop/products/crisbee-puck-tin

My carbon steel pan has only started to black after some high heat cooking, otherwise it's been a golden brown nonstick finish.

I've noticed before that striaght vegetable oil will leave a spotted finish as well, even with buffing before polymerizing.

Hmm yeah, just sticking it on the stove for 10 minutes at high heat seems to have completed the polymerization. It looks a lot better now.

Hopefully it's still non-stick and is adhered well to the metal and won't flake off guess the only way to check is to cook with it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spotting like that usually indicates there was too much oil applied.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Spotting like that usually indicates there was too much oil applied.

Not sure how much more oil I can remove once the paper towel/cloths are coming back clean.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Egh, totally turned off on cast iron after a former housemate kept one of the things. Cooked one thing on it then didn't clean it and let it fester, so I cleaned it, then I was the bad guy because it rusted. Also, by not cleaning it, I mean she left actual food on it and just left it out to stink up the kitchen.

I guess it could be useful though. I've heard that if you cook stuff containing citric acid, it chelates the iron of the pan to form a ferrous citrate that is super bio-available.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I see a lot of seasoning articles for both carbon steel and cast iron mention avoiding lard/animal fats to season, but never any reason compared to say flax. Are animal fats worse to start off with?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Carillon posted:

I see a lot of seasoning articles for both carbon steel and cast iron mention avoiding lard/animal fats to season, but never any reason compared to say flax. Are animal fats worse to start off with?

Sort descending: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine_value#Iodine_values_of_various_oils_and_fats
That, combined with smoke point, make the majority of the difference in making a good seasoning. Animals of yore might've had more omega fatty acids in their lard/tallow, which would've put them higher on the list to some extent.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Took my lodge baking-tray, I mean uh, griddle-thing down to base metal using oven cleaner and an orbit sander, and then reseasoned it. It's lived in the oven for a good 5 years and had 2mm+ of seasoning on it. It came off in sheets! Would like to smooth it out properly with an angle grinder at some point, but I don't own one.

It still needs a couple of coats to be non-stick, but it's looking better.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
left it in the oven during a self cleaning cycle, scraped off the last of the steak easily. Wiped it down with a damp cloth and got a large quantity of, like, rust? I assume it's the burned oil layers, but it's just redder than I expected. Gonna take some grapeseed oil to it with the field company guide linked upthread. B)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

left it in the oven during a self cleaning cycle, scraped off the last of the steak easily. Wiped it down with a damp cloth and got a large quantity of, like, rust? I assume it's the burned oil layers, but it's just redder than I expected. Gonna take some grapeseed oil to it with the field company guide linked upthread. B)

When you do an oven cleaning cycle, you need to pull it out and wash and heat it to dry right away followed immediately by seasoning it. Any delays in any of those steps will result in rust

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think people are too worried about it. Sometimes it'll just look spotty after a food. Keep it going unless it rusts imho.

The goon with the non cleaning roommate it's no different then leaving poo poo in any pan really.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

When I took that one down with the sander, before the oven cleaner, it all came out red like rust, just don't worry about it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I find using my cast iron as a steam bucket (leave in, add ice with loaf of bread) in the oven seems to result in a layer of rust. Even with non clean cycle temperatures.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

And... back to the same problem. Despite trying to even out the seasoning and smoking a bit of sunflower oil in the pan over and over, the seasoning over the central part of the pan crumbled into bits that can be removed with my fingernails (or any sort of hard object scraping over the pan. I used the back of a spoon).

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's your method? Get some oil on the pan, cold is fine, then try like hell to scrub it out. Oven it at 500 for an hour. Repeat that a few times.

You could also just do crisco on the stovetop instead of getting fancy with oils and repeatedly crisco > wipe it the hell out > burner to smoke > cool > repeat

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When you do an oven cleaning cycle, you need to pull it out and wash and heat it to dry right away followed immediately by seasoning it. Any delays in any of those steps will result in rust

i thought two days wouldn't be enough for anything serious to develop but i was wrong.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It could be that the center is just getting hot enough when you're cooking that it's breaking down the seasoning. But use some elbow grease to scrub off anything that'll come off and just keep adding oil when you cook and it should work out. Scrape with metal tools when cooking, beat that seasoning into submission.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yeah, I took some steel wool to mine and got off whatever was poorly adhering to the pan and then re-seasoned a couple of times and then went from there.

The first few times after re-seasoning I also blasted the pan on the stove top for about 7 minutes on a high burner after cleaning the pot after normal use to make sure any oil that might have been been used in that cooking session is not partially polymerized. I then let it cool and gave it the normal storage coat of oil.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So I just got a carbon steel pan and I'm having trouble keeping it seasoned. Like I had a nice surface, but when sautéing curry powder coated zucchini today it was getting a little hot so some water in. Go to clean it and half the pan now doesn't have seasoning on it. I've a carbon steel wok so I'm used to the idea that a uniform surface takes a while to build up, but I've never had such a dramatic wipe out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Post pics? When we bought ours, it had a hard slightly waxy coating to prevent oxidation with instructions to scrub it off. That took an inordinate amount of scrubbing until it felt like smooth metal.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Had some friends & their kids over last weekend to hang out so we bought a bunch of stuff for grilled cheese sammies. Turns out we bought way too much so this week has been grilled cheese all the time. Good timing for comfort food I guess but more importantly it's really helped the seasoning on my cast iron griddle. Been enjoying wiping it down each night and seeing/smelling the oil seasoning it. It's been better each night at shedding the burned on cheese.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Post pics? When we bought ours, it had a hard slightly waxy coating to prevent oxidation with instructions to scrub it off. That took an inordinate amount of scrubbing until it felt like smooth metal.

I reseasoned it before I could snap a photo. I'll see if it happens again to both photograph it and to give it an ever harder scrub. I would have sworn I got it the first time but maybe not!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I finally put a nice egg-safe seasoning on the bakestone. :3:

I put it on the stove at full heat (gas, biggest ring) and just kept wiping it with kitchen roll until the kitchen roll disintergrated / the smoke alarm went off. It took about 30-40 minutes of putting a very, very thin layer on, wiping it off and letting it bake until it stopped smoking and then repeating for it to go from silver to black. Watching it change colour with the heat was pretty cool.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Carillon posted:

I reseasoned it before I could snap a photo. I'll see if it happens again to both photograph it and to give it an ever harder scrub. I would have sworn I got it the first time but maybe not!

This happened to me a few times, just kept cooking and the poo poo goes dark in a few months.

regarding the burning and the water, yeah! I keep my temps generally lower than i would for other pans. Like when i do eggs i cook on the lowest flame, and veggies at medium low. Meats a hair under medium. Its wierdly hot material

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh, a glorious new cast iron pan thread! Hell yes. I was sad to see the old one get deleted in some infernal clean up scheme. I'd never had bought cast iron if it weren't for that old thread. We have some fancy pants SS copper core pans, but still do 99% of our cooking in one of two cast iron skillets.

My 12" cast iron skillet from the original thread has got to be near 15 years old and looks exactly the same as it did when I bought it.

Glorious thread.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Given that I'm the one who pointed Hadlock over ton this thread, I suppose I should post.

Hi Cast Iron thread, I got a skillet as a wedding present that I tried to keep in fettle for a good eight or nine years. I was pretty backwards about its care, though. I would wipe it out after use, maybe dry salt scrub with a paper towel or dry wash cloth if bits were stuck in. Then I would bake it at a few hundred degrees for an hour or two, then oil it and put it away.

Eventually I stopped using it as much because Mrs. Doctor and I added a couple of kiddos to the mix and it just wasn't big enough to make a meal for all of us in it. Mrs. Doctor got us on the Marie Kondo train back in 2019 and since I hadn't used it in over a year, I passed it on to someone else.

She saw how bummed I was, though, and for my birthday last year this lovely 12" skillet appeared:

I haven't made as much use as I really wanted to, especially since the long now began in March but we have a Thanksgiving tradition of bacon and eggs for brunch and I'll be damned if that slipped along with everything else this year.

In the interim, my skillet had gotten stacked with not-quite-dry pans and developed a little bit of red here and there. I took some stainless steel scouring pads to it, and the chain mail scrubbie I got last year and got that mess cleaned up. Then for a bit over a week, 1-3 times a day I would:
Heat on a burner until water sprinkled into the bottom or on the inside walls would flash to steam, and water dripped onto the handles would noticably evaporate within a short time

Pull off the heat and rub down with canola oil inside and out, spreading with a paper towel then wiping out until the towel came away clean

Put into a cold oven, bring it up to 500°, bake it for an hour after reaching temp, and then shut the oven off and let cool inside before opening the oven and repeating the process.

I felt pretty good about the look:

And had a delicious breakfast on Thanksgiving:

This is the article I've been using as the basis of my care, and I'm trying to take to heart the OP's admonition that a little soap and water aren't going to tear off polymerized oil, just the poo poo that shouldn't be sticking around anyway.

I notice dull black carbonization from the bacon in the bottom when I cook in it, and I scrubbed it out, but drat if I don't worry I'm undoing all of my work every time I bring water and/or soap near the sucker.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

On the opposite end, I have given up all pretense of care routines for my two cast irons. I scrub them out with soap and water and then throw them on a burner long enough to evaporate any leftover water. Sometimes I’ll run in some oil if I’m not feeling lazy.

They’re fine. I don’t think I could fry an egg on them, but they cook up anything else I throw at them.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Same, I use the Lodge scrubbing brush with a drop of soap and hot water. After scrubbing, I dry it on a burner. I have a spray bottle of canola oil, and I spray a little bit on and brush it around evenly with a silicone brush. Once it starts to smoke I stuck it upside-down in the oven. It won't win any medals but it cooks nicely.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

atothesquiz posted:

I feel like someone has to say this every 5 or so pages:

It's a cast iron pan. Just use it. It'll be fine. Occasionally make some bacon in it, or dont; it'll be fine.

Things you'll do that will cause it "not to be fine":
Leave it outside.
Leave it sitting in the sink for weeks.

Outside of that, not much is going to harm the pan that a little bacon wont cure (pun intended). Even tomato sauce is fine in moderation, just don't leave it in there for days.

There's a reason why we all have our great grandmothers pans and it's not because they were spergy and went on the internet asking how to protect their precious cast iron. It's because they're indestructible

I feel that this needs to be posted again.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got a lodge dutch oven whose seasoning constantly gives me poo poo. No matter what I do there are rusty spots high on the inner walls after I cook in it. I cleaned it good and put 3 rounds of additional seasoning on it over the summer to shore it up- not for the first time, either- and the next thing I made in it, a pot of french onion soup spiked with baking soda for browning, took seasoning off the goddamn sides and there's visible rust again. Underneath it all is the factory seasoning, still. I also have a big rear end lodge skillet, which I've cared for in exactly the same way, and it's got a beautiful seasoning that puts up with high temps and acidic sauces no problem. I can't seem to tiptoe around the dutch oven without the seasoning coming off. It's pretty frustrating. Should I nuke the seasoning and start over?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure it's rust? Could be food bits like you'd see in the spoon zone.

I'd try and sear more things in it to get that splatter and poo poo.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the thread's current consensus on seasoning with flax? Pretty sure I found this article here years ago: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Never had cast iron before (except my le creuset dutch oven that kicks rear end) but I received a big Smithey skillet for xmas and have been working on seasoning it over the last week with flaxseed. The polished interior surface seems to be taking a lot longer to develop a blackish coating than the exterior surfaces, but after 4 coats it is starting to turn a darker color and developing a shiny enamel sort of surface. I did not strip the factory pre-seasoning, which is grapeseed oil. Planning on like 10 coats from the looks of things.

Oil goes on after preheating to 200 and then up to 500 for an hour with two hour cool down period.

Thanks guys

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 10, 2021

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
6th coat

It was always that copper color but it is definitely getting darker

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Zeno-25 posted:

What's the thread's current consensus on seasoning with flax? Pretty sure I found this article here years ago: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

Never had cast iron before (except my le creuset dutch oven that kicks rear end) but I received a big Smithey skillet for xmas and have been working on seasoning it over the last week with flaxseed. The polished interior surface seems to be taking a lot longer to develop a blackish coating than the exterior surfaces, but after 4 coats it is starting to turn a darker color and developing a shiny enamel sort of surface. I did not strip the factory pre-seasoning, which is grapeseed oil. Planning on like 10 coats from the looks of things.

Oil goes on after preheating to 200 and then up to 500 for an hour with two hour cool down period.

Thanks guys

When I followed that about six years ago, I put on several layers and it looked great. Then it started flaking off right away when I started cooking with it.

I know other people in this thread say that it works fine for them though.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I recently moved to a new place with a gas range so I've revived my cast iron pieces. I purchased a crisbee puck online and am giving it a try. I'm two coats in and it's still not darkening up as much as I was expecting but I'm going to season it a couple more times before I pass any real judgement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1371253858165522432