Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

He always reminds me of someone but I can't ever quite place who, some sort of actor I think. Possibly hugo weaving.

Reminds me of the guy from Talking Heads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Love seeing that (Cantab) or (Oxon) after someones credentials and knowing with startling clarity that they are an absolute wanker

Worse, because the credential that's supposed to come after is only the MA, which at Oxbridge requires no study whatsoever for hysterical raisins, just a cheque for 20 quid to your college. Right up there with Alabama divinity colleges. :sun: I have one because why not but Lord God I wouldn't ever write it down like it means something. Fun for teasing my (real MSc and PhD having) wife with though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Reminds me of the guy from Talking Heads

That's david byrne.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
gently caress spending years and thousands to get a measly BSc or PhD.

https://www.lordtitles.co.uk

If you haven't got a Lord/Lady title for £30 by now, get back to digging dirt you peasants.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

happyhippy posted:

If you haven't got a Lord/Lady title for £30 by now, get back to digging dirt you peasants.

I used to work with someone who bought himself a Lord title AND insisted everyone used it (and not ironically).

feedmegin posted:

Worse, because the credential that's supposed to come after is only the MA, which at Oxbridge requires no study whatsoever for hysterical raisins, just a cheque for 20 quid to your college. Right up there with Alabama divinity colleges. :sun: I have one because why not but Lord God I wouldn't ever write it down like it means something. Fun for teasing my (real MSc and PhD having) wife with though.

When I was doing my PhD, my brother said why didn't I just buy one off the back of Private Eye or wherever, 'noone will know' he said. "I will know" I said.

I'm sure we've mentioned Gillian McKeith's famous PhD on here before from a US college that also awarded one to a journalist's cat.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

peanut- posted:

I couldn't understand how that works and looked up the Small Business Grants Fund rules, and it has actually been specifically written so that small businesses are eligible for £10,000 per property.

So every small business engaged in actual trade will be eligible for £10k of support total while every twat with a bunch of holiday lets will be eligible for £10k per property.

Literally everything Tories do is built on the core principle of funneling money to property owners.

BTW this is actually true and is loving insane https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-youre-eligible-for-the-coronavirus-small-business-grant-fund it doesn't even stack with the Hospitality grant https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-youre-eligible-for-the-coronavirus-retail-hospitality-and-leisure-grant-fund so a local cafe, that legitimately is a small business and might even actually employ a person or two, functionally isn't eligible for Small Business support because it's probably going to be under the 15k mark.

Hate the Tories, know they're evil and only out to rob the country and give money to rentiers etc but this has actually blown my mind at how brazen and unambiguous it is.

Also have officially been pozzed, the rona has crept down my mouth hole and have to isolate for 6 days. Is Disco Elysium actually good or is it a meme game that says 'capitalism is bad actually' twice and everyone got overexcited?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh, I guess everyone got plat.

Disco Elysium appears to genuinely be a very well regarded game if you like story focused RPGs.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Vitamin P posted:

Is Disco Elysium actually good or is it a meme game that says 'capitalism is bad actually' twice and everyone got overexcited?

Disco Elysium is exceptionally good imo, and has much more to say than just "capitalism is bad, mmmkay?" - though it kinda goes deep on that topic as well. Also one of the saddest and funniest games I've ever played

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
It's rubbish

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Goons are divided on the issue, so it must be good *goes back to hour 200 of victorian-project-manager-brr-it-cold.exe to find everyone has lost limb and die*

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

I got my Doctorate of Divinity for $30, and it's every bit as legitimate as Ian Paisley's. Even more so in fact because it also came with a guarantee of eternal salvation or triple my money back.

I think the SubGenius membership might have been the very first thing I ever bought on the internet, either that or the soundtrack to Full Throttle - both bought in the days when "ecommerce" was a Perl script that sent an email to someone with all your credit card details in it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

No it's very good

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best thing about Ian Paisley is that the Discordians made him an official Pope (as is everyone who applies and doesn't) and he hated it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Am gonna play it, sort of hope you're right.

The close contacts reporting thing feels a lot like snitching, people that are working from home is whatever, fine we had a pint on X date, but obviously not going to impose a loving 14 day no-work period on people that work cash in hand/don't necessarily have the citizenship paperwork to actually get the £500.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Vitamin P posted:

Also have officially been pozzed, the rona has crept down my mouth hole and have to isolate for 6 days. Is Disco Elysium actually good or is it a meme game that says 'capitalism is bad actually' twice and everyone got overexcited?

as an unbiased poster
its very good imo

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Vitamin P posted:

BTW this is actually true and is loving insane https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-youre-eligible-for-the-coronavirus-small-business-grant-fund it doesn't even stack with the Hospitality grant https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-youre-eligible-for-the-coronavirus-retail-hospitality-and-leisure-grant-fund so a local cafe, that legitimately is a small business and might even actually employ a person or two, functionally isn't eligible for Small Business support because it's probably going to be under the 15k mark.

Hate the Tories, know they're evil and only out to rob the country and give money to rentiers etc but this has actually blown my mind at how brazen and unambiguous it is.

I really enjoyed it. The game is set in a post-communist city which is run by a coalition of liberal interventionists who literally worship the god of moderation.

One thing I think is worth knowing going in, it is not a whodunnit mystery game. You're solving a crime, sure, but the game is about a self-destructive alcoholic trying to turn himself back into a decent person.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Huh, I guess everyone got plat.

I don't think this is true

Vitamin P posted:

I deeply enjoyed it. Like, don't go in expecting a game that explains Das Kapital or whatever, but I really loved my time with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I don't think this is true

Huh, ok, then someone got me plat and I have no idea why.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I wouldn't listen to me I'm a moron. It was basically my life getting dissed by losers for being an alcoholic then beaten up by a child before I just gave up.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I haven't heard anyone say diss for years

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
the best thing about disco Elysium is measurehead

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've literally been for a drink in diss.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hell itself seems like a long way to go for a drink.

Applicable to either the mythological place or the place in michigan.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

The best thing about Ian Paisley is that the Discordians made him an official Pope (as is everyone who applies and doesn't) and he hated it.

Best story I heard when I was working in IT for NI govt when the assembly was being set up was that Big Ian got curtains installed in the lifts.
The legend goes that he was running to get a lift, doors were closing, and he shouted out to whoever to stop it.
Who is inside? Gerry 'totally a fake beard' Adams. Both stared at the walls rather than in each others direction, but they were mirrored.
The request to cover them with curtains was shortly after.

gently caress knows how true this is, but I always laugh thinking we nearly had our own G'kar and Londo lift moment.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Norfolk

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Hell itself

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

There’s also a Hell on Grand Cayman. Named because of its really freaky looking lava rocks.

I went there once when I was a teenager. They sell really good hot sauce, and there’s a turtle farm just up the road.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The fudge money's going to end up in the Cayman Islands isn't it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Statistically I think most money does one way or another.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Sorry if this was already posted, but it got a small lol out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh8_huRliIg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OK, I have to ask, what is "plat"? (I've decided to ask questions when y'all talking about something I don't know instead of sitting in silence, googling in a frenzy and then eventually in about 6 months time finally getting it).

I think you're all talking about some kind of game, not this:

1 : a small piece of ground (such as a lot or quadrat) : plot. 2 : a plan, map, or chart of a piece of land with actual or proposed features (such as lots) also : the land represented. plat. verb (2) platted; platting.

North American
1A plot of land.

‘they looked out over the plats of dark ground’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1A map or plan of an area of land showing actual or proposed features.
‘Looking at the strong outlines in the early city plats and plans, we too readily imagine Charleston girded with a stone citadel.’

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OK, I have to ask, what is "plat"?
I think you're all talking about some kind of game, not this:

1 : a small piece of ground (such as a lot or quadrat) : plot. 2 : a plan, map, or chart of a piece of land with actual or proposed features (such as lots) also : the land represented. plat. verb (2) platted; platting.

North American
1A plot of land.

‘they looked out over the plats of dark ground’
More example sentencesSynonyms
1.1A map or plan of an area of land showing actual or proposed features.
‘Looking at the strong outlines in the early city plats and plans, we too readily imagine Charleston girded with a stone citadel.’

"Plat"inum - a forums upgrade that gives you private messaging and archive access

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Platinum account, it's what gives you access to PMs and some other features on the site. You have it as evidenced by the little grenade icon left of your username.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

absolutely ridiculous lack of taking the piss for a minute or two there at least. what has this website become

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh and I have some good news albeit not like, on a political level. My friend who is in hospital appears to be a medical miracle and is actually recovering. So I am relieved that she may be OK but now have a whole pile of new stress about trying to make sure she can cope once she comes home. Also mildly terrified about her diabetes after brexit... But it is still a better outcome, her kids will get to see her again I hope so I'm just focusing on that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ok thanks. I didn't know that. (My PMs upgrade was a gift).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and I have some good news albeit not like, on a political level. My friend who is in hospital appears to be a medical miracle and is actually recovering. So I am relieved that she may be OK but now have a whole pile of new stress about trying to make sure she can cope once she comes home. Also mildly terrified about her diabetes after brexit... But it is still a better outcome, her kids will get to see her again I hope so I'm just focusing on that.

That is good news. Hope she recovers ok. If you're on FB, have a look for local support groups. I see our local ones are starting to rev up again with the Welsh lockdown.
Are her kids adults living away (I'm thinking they must be from what you've said before)?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's good to hear, hopefully that means some good news to finish off this dismal year.

So, question, if I wanted to see my parents sometime this year, and they're currently in tier 1 but I'm getting punted into tier 3, but I've been a good boy who has masked up everywhere and wiped down his shopping and generally not mixed with people and all that jazz, is there anything actually stopping me from getting a train to go see them within the rules or guidelines or whatever the gently caress they're classed as?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes they're at opposite ends of the country unfortunately, I'm the only one local younger than about... 60 I think.

The hospital has the occupational health coming round and she's getting reassessed for a bunch of stuff, looks like her local doctors have been pretty negligent, so hopefully she might be in a better position going forward and I'm gonna see if I can talk her into letting me visit sometimes just so she's not so isolated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That's great news, the future is unpredictable but medical miracle affirm that positivity.