Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Has anyone broken out the actual cost of a fly over? Fuel, maintenance and crews for 5 jets or however many, plus whatever bonus stuff has to be on standby in case of accidents and such. Or is it just rolled under the local air force base's practice for the day? I realize it's like the tiniest drop in the ocean of spending for the us military but I wonder how much work actually does go into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one of the disappointing things about there not being crowds and me not being out and about much is that i have yet to see a foles bears jersey in the wild, i know they exist. i want to put a bounty out for anyone who can get me a pic of a legit foles.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I'm sure the outrage was actually over him saying anything at all about a biden/harris ticket due to how broke brained the chuds are at the moment.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

ghosthorse posted:

Has anyone broken out the actual cost of a fly over? Fuel, maintenance and crews for 5 jets or however many, plus whatever bonus stuff has to be on standby in case of accidents and such. Or is it just rolled under the local air force base's practice for the day? I realize it's like the tiniest drop in the ocean of spending for the us military but I wonder how much work actually does go into it

It's usually considered $0 because pilots have to fly anyway for training and they just 'do this' as part of their flights. To be a certified military duder you gotta fly X hours a year no matter what.

If they are flying above and beyond that most single pilot military aircraft are around 10k/hr to operate. Lord only knows what something like a b-2 is but probably just add an extra 0 to that number

e: although this rand report is saying the true cost is closer to 26k/hr but the military says its closer to 8k/hr for something like the f-16.

adaz fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 22, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The F-35 costs around $44k/hr to operate.

I live nearby a National Air Guard base that replaced their F-16's with F-35's last year and this morning on the way to work had the pleasure of seeing six of them taxing down the runway which represented just under half a trillion in taxpayer dollars. Fun.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Deadspin used to do a lot on this

https://deadspin.com/these-teams-earned-the-most-from-the-militarys-paid-pa-1740567338

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

... the Minnesota Wild? What?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

... the Minnesota Wild? What?

lol, imagine my dumb dead hockey team making more than 90% of other sports teams due to jingoism.

Also wtf Wisconsin, get an NHL team, Christ.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

PneumonicBook posted:

lol, imagine my dumb dead hockey team making more than 90% of other sports teams due to jingoism.

Also wtf Wisconsin, get an NHL team, Christ.

Yeah, I grew up in Wisconsin and always assumed the Milwaukee Admirals were Wisconsin’s NHL team. I found out two years ago they are minor league. I’m almost 40.

I never watched hockey. :shrug:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LabyaMynora posted:

Yeah, I grew up in Wisconsin and always assumed the Milwaukee Admirals were Wisconsin’s NHL team. I found out two years ago they are minor league. I’m almost 40.

I never watched hockey. :shrug:

I think I figured it out when I went to a game when they were playing a college team. Shame too, I feel like the Bradley Center was built specifically for Hockey, although I could be wrong and Im too lazy to Wikipedia it.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Bradley Center was built for hockey. It would be too expensive to start a team in Milwaukee because whoever started it would have to pay the Blackhawks a bunch of money because it's technically part of their market or whatever. It sucks. I want a hockey team real bad and I'll be dead in the ground before I'm rooting for a team from Chicago, Detroit or Minnesota. poo poo sucks.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

kalensc posted:

I hadn't heard about the hot mic comment and searched for the video. Glad they have sensible opinions on that sort of military hoo-ah stuff.

More importantly, I found someone else who is about to go walk the Appalachian Trail. Can't seem to copy text on the YT app, so apologies for the screencaps.

Nana nana nana nana leader!

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Was watching Mic'd up Week 6 and Justin Jefferson looks like a scary good WR for the Vikings. Seems like an excellent combination of speed, size, and talent. I've only seen highlights, but Vikings fans, what's your take?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30167748/baltimore-ravens-finalizing-trade-minnesota-vikings-de-yannick-ngakoue

Looks like Ngakoue was only a half season rental for the Vikings

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

chrix posted:

Was watching Mic'd up Week 6 and Justin Jefferson looks like a scary good WR for the Vikings. Seems like an excellent combination of speed, size, and talent. I've only seen highlights, but Vikings fans, what's your take?

He looks real good.

Good route runner, has won in contested catches and shows an ability to high point the ball and use his body to shield against the defender. Also looks to be elusive after the catch.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

OxySnake posted:

He looks real good.

Good route runner, has won in contested catches and shows an ability to high point the ball and use his body to shield against the defender. Also looks to be elusive after the catch.

Yeah, I noticed he had a great feel for where he needed to be to make some of these catches. Kind of reminds me of Brandon Marshall in a way. I have a feeling he's going to give the Bears D fits when we play later next month.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

chrix posted:

Yeah, I noticed he had a great feel for where he needed to be to make some of these catches. Kind of reminds me of Brandon Marshall in a way. I have a feeling he's going to give the Bears D fits when we play later next month.

Nah the Dline will spook Cousins into throwing 4 picks.

His garbage time stats though? :discourse:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Pretty sure the owners of the Bradly Center in Milwaukee tried really drat hard to get an NHL franchise the last time the NHL had an available franchise up for grabs in the 90’s or 00’s, and almost did, but then the Tampa Bay Lightning came in and snatched it up I think.

Anyway, Admirals games are fun as gently caress, I got a whole stack of free tickets from my last job because nobody wanted them. I took like 7 people to like five games for free when they were whipping rear end last year before COVID and we all got drunk, yelled a lot, and got a ton of free swag. I have a bunch of poo poo like cowbells, a really nice knitted winter hat, shirts, magnets, calendars, etc that they just give away to the first few thousand people in the door every game.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Minor league sports are superior live to professional sports.

Change my mind.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

Change my mind.

Minor league baseball is basically the best gameday experience you can get.

One of the things about living in Madison I miss the most is going to Mallards games.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

One of the things about living in Madison I miss the most is going to Mallards games.

Agreed.

I try to make it to a St Paul Saints game at least once a year.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

OxySnake posted:

Change my mind.

:hmmyes:

You can get Saints tickets behind home plate in the section with a waiter for like $30 a pop

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

:hmmyes:

You can get Saints tickets behind home plate in the section with a waiter for like $30 a pop

Its so great. I usually end up going down the 3rd base line so I can be as close to the beer garden as possible.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Nah, it's a different baseball tradition...giving up at the All-Star break and trading away everyone you can.

I'd like to say it's about "Tanking for Trevor," but I doubt they can catch the Jets. So, it's probably just cutting payroll. Expect more soon.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

I do not understand the logic of trading their best performing defensive player for a 2021 third and 2022 fifth round when you just gave up a 2021 second and 2022 fifth to get him. And still have to eat $7mil on his cap hit this year. And Hunter just got told he's not coming back any time soon. Like what is the benefit here?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Tanking for a QB baby.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

They weren't exactly winning with him on the team

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

Tanking for a QB baby.

Jordan Love for Justin Jefferson

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

the way the vikings are going they'd get Kevin love instead.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Please we can draft our own bust QB tyvm.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

Isn't it more the vikings style to get a bust qb from someone else though?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

ghosthorse posted:

Isn't it more the vikings style to get a bust qb from someone else though?

I mean Tavaris, Ponder, Bridgewater, then Bradford, Keenum Cousins. We're due for a draft bust.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Zim's highlight is 2017. Gonna be a new coach and new QB.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

ghosthorse posted:

I do not understand the logic of trading their best performing defensive player for a 2021 third and 2022 fifth round when you just gave up a 2021 second and 2022 fifth to get him. And still have to eat $7mil on his cap hit this year. And Hunter just got told he's not coming back any time soon. Like what is the benefit here?

They thought they'd have Hunter this year and he was probably a one-year rental for what they thought was a playoff run. It's recouping your losses

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/mattschneidman/status/1319340264956350467?s=19

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hot dog.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Robert “Bloomin” Tonyan

WOOP!

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

College football is up there. In Madison, anyway.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
always fantastic to see one bad decision seemingly crash everything else. excited for the tank tho, and when we somehow get 6 wins on accident and end up with Adam Gase as head coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

no one deserves gase, not even the jets