Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Is Kitty Pryde the only X-Men character to use the N word? (Twice)

A related question is how many times did they try to make 'mutant' the 'm-word.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

A related question is how many times did they try to make 'mutant' the 'm-word.'

When it's used as a slur people tend to say "mutie" not "mutant,"

I think maybe Havok said something about "the M-word" in that insanely tone deaf speech in Uncanny Avengers that was so terrible Bendis had Kitty Kate Pryde call it out.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that speech alone was enough for havok to merit going on the hellions. it's empath-equivalence in the space of a few panels.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

When it's used as a slur people tend to say "mutie" not "mutant,"

I think maybe Havok said something about "the M-word" in that insanely tone deaf speech in Uncanny Avengers that was so terrible Bendis had Kitty Kate Pryde call it out.

thanks Rick Remender

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alaois posted:

thanks Rick Remender

He should stick to murder squad comics.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

He should stick to murder squad comics.

I'm never ever gonna read his Uncanny X-Force

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

I'm never ever gonna read his Uncanny X-Force

It's actually really good. Like, even before the Havok speech people were really disappointed at the drop in quality between X-Force and Avengers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

It's actually really good. Like, even before the Havok speech people were really disappointed at the drop in quality between X-Force and Avengers.

Uncanny X-Force would have been perfect if not for the Otherworld bullshit. It's one of the most interesting takes on superhero violence mainstream comics have done. And the idea of Apocalypse as Superman? Amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I already read Si Spurrier's X-Force, why would I read a worse version of it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you're not reading lengthy runs of bad comics, are you even really an X-fan? (Not that Uncanny X-Force is bad, but I've read too many comics just because it's the first appearance of Kwannon or whatever for you to get off easy)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the big points to remember are not only did Remender write the kind of tone-deaf Havok speech about how people shouldn't identify as mutants or Inhumans or Kree or Skrull or black or Jewish but people, but when people from real world groups points out how this was tone-deaf, his initial response was, and I quote, "If Havok's position really upset you, it's time to drown yourself in hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution."

He genuinely seemed to think initially that the people complaining about his (tone-deaf) message of unity and We're All God's Children was coming from bigots, not people who are traditionally marginalized communities annoyed at this sort of erasure thinking. I think he apologized and people largely moved on from it.

Except Remender, obviously.

Uncanny X-Force is still good though. So is Deadly Class, at least on the whole. I like Wes Craig and the colorist a lot at bare minimum!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What's even going on in Excalibur anymore? Is this the same Saturnyne, the same all powerful entity that forced this challenge upon the two factions, that crashed the Krakoa gate, that has the gift of foresight? How consistent is this view when she just got double crossed by two siblings who somehow had more foresight than her? And who did it just by letting her being all hot for Brian? poo poo makes no sense.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm just pissed they killed the alternate reality Captain Britain with the best costume.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I'm just pissed they killed the alternate reality Captain Britain with the best costume.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jubilee is Chinese and Britain invaded them enough she's gotta count.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I know people like Excalibur but I can barely grok what's happening in that book from panel to panel, much less issue to issue.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Look, sometimes, a lady wizard just wants to cuck a shape shifter and get her strange on with a knight in shining armor. Don't judge her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I know people like Excalibur but I can barely grok what's happening in that book from panel to panel, much less issue to issue.

The latest issue actually put all my questions to rest about previous questions I had.

Have you read the rest of the X of Swords poo poo? because missing parts 1 and 2 would create a lot of questions I think.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The sword tournament is practically the only thing I understand. I don't get why there's a buncha Captain Britains that are Gambit and Jubilee, nor why they suddenly wanted to kill Jamie. I'm not super sure why Brian and Betsy were mad at each other here -- Betsy has Brian's old title, but she originally didn't want it, and now he wants it back despite originally not wanting it either but now they both want it, I guess -- and then just not mad by the end. Is Brian even a mutant? Why is he part of the contest?

And that's in this week alone, which as you say is actually one of the more coherent issues of this series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The sword tournament is practically the only thing I understand. I don't get why there's a buncha Captain Britains that are Gambit and Jubilee, nor why they suddenly wanted to kill Jamie. I'm not super sure why Brian and Betsy were mad at each other here -- Betsy has Brian's old title, but she originally didn't want it, and now he wants it back despite originally not wanting it either but now they both want it, I guess -- and then just not mad by the end. Is Brian even a mutant? Why is he part of the contest?

And that's in this week alone, which as you say is actually one of the more coherent issues of this series.

There's an entire issue about why there's captain britans that are gambit and jubilee, I think issue 11? Why the want to kill Jamie i can't directly answer, but I "on general principle" is a good bet.

This issue is pretty much incomprehensible if you haven't been reading Excalibur, but if you have been reading Excalibur it answers a lot of lingering questions that I had about Excalibur.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Skwirl posted:

but if you have been reading Excalibur it answers a lot of lingering questions that I had about Excalibur.

Out of curiosity, which questions were these, 'cause I read them all and the questions I have on what's going with Saturnyne -- whose main plot/storyline is in this book -- have just increased ten fold with today's issue.

BrianWilly posted:

Is Brian even a mutant?

No, this has always been a plot point in stories where the Bradocks are together, that both his siblings are mutants while he himself is not. In this book, Betsy is not accepted in the UK as Captain Britain because she's a mutant, while her brother was beloved.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 22, 2020

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

1. Jamie made a bunch of alternate realities in issue 10 where other Excalibur members wound up with the Amulet. Saturnyne is not happy aoubt their existence.

2. Jamie was a real dick about the events in those alternate realities. They're carrying out their duties as Captains Britain.

3. Brian didn't feel worthy of having the title after choosing the sword. He's back in mostly the right headspace to want his duties back, and he's also kind of adrift and purposeless without his title. Betsy, too, was adrift since getting her actual body back and putting distance between her and "Psylocke" by taking on the role of Captain Britain has given her some clarity and purpose. She doesn't want to give it up. Nor did Jamie until he found a reason to draw the Sword of Might that wasn't anger. That gave him a clarity of purpose in defending his family and Avalon. He doesn't need to be Captain Britain anymore.

4. Because Saturnyne's playing like three games of chess here, one of which was trying to get Brian back as her Captain Britain.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If I remember correctly, Saturnyne has also lusted after Brian's dick for forever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I definitely felt like I should have skipped Excalibur. It seemed like if you're a regular reader it would hopefully make sense, but yeah, I had little clue what was going on outside of the context clues I could get.

Meanwhile, X-Men was, again, bland exposition that barely needed to be there. Well, so it seems. It's Hickman, so it could very possibly be important in a year! Still the Hickman parts of this have so far been the weakest. Except for maybe the Percy Wolverine/X-Force issues that didn't need two issues of story to tell.

Also it seems weird that they seem to be ignoring the whole Lionheart thing for people who pick the sword instead of the amulet, but I guess since Merlin and Roma aren't doing that, it's whatever.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Gologle posted:

If I remember correctly, Saturnyne has also lusted after Brian's dick for forever.

Very much so.

Endless Mike posted:

Also it seems weird that they seem to be ignoring the whole Lionheart thing for people who pick the sword instead of the amulet, but I guess since Merlin and Roma aren't doing that, it's whatever.

I think the implication is supposed to be that Lionheart comes from using the sword in anger, which Brian adamantly refused to do.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 22, 2020

radlum
May 13, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

I think the big points to remember are not only did Remender write the kind of tone-deaf Havok speech about how people shouldn't identify as mutants or Inhumans or Kree or Skrull or black or Jewish but people, but when people from real world groups points out how this was tone-deaf, his initial response was, and I quote, "If Havok's position really upset you, it's time to drown yourself in hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution."

He genuinely seemed to think initially that the people complaining about his (tone-deaf) message of unity and We're All God's Children was coming from bigots, not people who are traditionally marginalized communities annoyed at this sort of erasure thinking. I think he apologized and people largely moved on from it.

Except Remender, obviously.

Uncanny X-Force is still good though. So is Deadly Class, at least on the whole. I like Wes Craig and the colorist a lot at bare minimum!

Is that from Deadly Class or any of his other indie work?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Out of curiosity, which questions were these, 'cause I read them all and the questions I have on what's going with Saturnyne -- whose main plot/storyline is in this book -- have just increased ten fold with today's issue.

It was mostly just not realizing how the alternate universe Captain Britains fit in.

Everything with Saturnyne I just figure is her being a heinous bitch.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

radlum posted:

Is that from Deadly Class or any of his other indie work?
It's from Deadly Class #28, by Rick Remender and Wes Craig, yeah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't decide if the braddocks were deliberately acting out of character to game saturnyne or not. it would make sense, but then there was also saturnyne whose actions made no sense at all. she had no intention of handing over the starlight sword, but without it the big sword fighting tournament she planned couldn't take place.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i can't decide if the braddocks were deliberately acting out of character to game saturnyne or not. it would make sense, but then there was also saturnyne whose actions made no sense at all. she had no intention of handing over the starlight sword, but without it the big sword fighting tournament she planned couldn't take place.

I think she wanted Brian to have the Starlight Sword. Then after making him Captain Britain again, Betsy would get the Sword of Might.

And yeah, Brian and Betsy were acting so weird because they were setting Saturnyne up. This issue was about Saturnyne wanting to get her Captain Britain back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah it seemed pretty clear to me she was intending to let Brian have the Starlight Sword

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Braddocks (or at least Betsy and Brian, whothe gently caress ever knows with Jamie) were acting out of character to trick Saturnyne. Saturnyne wanted to give the Starlight Sword to a Brian that was wholly loyal to her.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, I mean Brian can always start calling himself Britannic again if he doesn't want to be Captain Britain anymore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I mean Brian can always start calling himself Britannic again if he doesn't want to be Captain Britain anymore.

He's Captain Avalon now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The Braddocks (or at least Betsy and Brian, whothe gently caress ever knows with Jamie) were acting out of character to trick Saturnyne. Saturnyne wanted to give the Starlight Sword to a Brian that was wholly loyal to her.

but if he became wholly loyal to her while also betraying his mutant siblings, why the heck would he go participate in the krakoa death tournament?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

but if he became wholly loyal to her while also betraying his mutant siblings, why the heck would he go participate in the krakoa death tournament?

You're making the assumption that Saturnyne doesn't want Krakoa to win.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Adder Moray posted:

You're making the assumption that Saturnyne doesn't want Krakoa to win.

the specific outcome saturnyne desires is unclear, yeah. that's kind of her thing. however, she definitely wants the tournament to take place, what with how she arranged the whole thing. it doesn't happen at all unless both sides get all their swords together. but now saturnyne either forgot or pretended to forget about all that.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The fact that this Otherworld bullshit is having to be explained at this level says something.

Please bring back the evolution-technology dichotomy and more Moira please thank you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Either Marvel doesn't know what "unarmed" means or they don't know the entire gimmick of the event they're promoting.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1316823692274544645?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's a subtle clue about the surprise guest-writer, Geoff Johns.