Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

The amount of plates to spin, and the irons I have in the fire is absolutely ridiculous now. Hopefully they add asia, and west coast New World.

Should I tackle the enbesa area once I have investors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Krataar posted:

The amount of plates to spin, and the irons I have in the fire is absolutely ridiculous now. Hopefully they add asia, and west coast New World.

Should I tackle the enbesa area once I have investors?

Think it's already been confirmed LoL is the last of the content for 1800 and the next Anno is in the works/planning? That said, modders are adding Asia. Curious if this DLC will impact those efforts.

Not sure when is an ideal time to open Enbasa but I have the expedition on my newish file that doesn't have the Cape or Arctic yet.

Kinda wish this game let you play with UI scale or something, it feels like minimap can kinda aggravate some eye strain issues I have from time to time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Krataar posted:

no don't say that i want this game to be done with coming out with content so i can play it

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
After being traumatized by Sir Archibald Blake's constant sexual innuendo, I was so relieved when the King of Anno Wakanda really did just want some actual warm goat milk.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

boar guy posted:

no don't say that i want this game to be done with coming out with content so i can play it

:same:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
They've said several times on Reddit that this season pass is it. More evidence comes in as they rewarded everyone the Club stuff, and that was only to happen for games that would not continue to get DLC.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man the LoL stuff unlocks at a mere 5 Artisan houses? Yeah, um, I am in no way even remotely ready to go haring off to East Africa at that junction, I haven't even started to settle the coast of Brazil.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Alkydere posted:

Man the LoL stuff unlocks at a mere 5 Artisan houses? Yeah, um, I am in no way even remotely ready to go haring off to East Africa at that junction, I haven't even started to settle the coast of Brazil.

Well, given that it doesn't use any Old World resources(at least not as far as I've gotten), it seems startable at any point.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Mayveena posted:

They've said several times on Reddit that this season pass is it. More evidence comes in as they rewarded everyone the Club stuff, and that was only to happen for games that would not continue to get DLC.

Hoo boy, sounds like a weekend of Anno 1800 is in the cards! I played for dozens of hours after release but then sat back and decided to wait for the big DLC to come out.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is everyone using for settings to just chill and build cities?

I haven't played since launch but always hated warfare in these games, but I don't want to miss out on trading at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gyshall posted:

What is everyone using for settings to just chill and build cities?

I haven't played since launch but always hated warfare in these games, but I don't want to miss out on trading at all.

You can drop the "player" AIs and leave in the rest of NPCs in - the pirates will hassle you but you can make peace with some money and gifts, after which you can funnel booze at them for cash from what I understand.

You could also try running with Easy AI, they almost always play nice and ally with you, as well as ask before settling islands, but they also might force you into war with the pirates if you're allied.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

I find that two star AIs and lower are easy to work with, and three stars are incredibly tough. I usually start off a game with enough difficulty changes for two star difficulty, though always keeping number and quality of islands high.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Someone pointed out that mod that lets you spawn AI ships who then go populate islands, that seems like a very cool idea. AI are good to have so you can buy out their islands and get the free pops from them, and their main islands are eventually worth a ton of active income and can greatly offset the expenses you have before ballooning with investors. It just sucks to deal with them early on, especially the difficult ones, and this solves that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I really feel there's 2 ways to play Anno:
-Super chill sandbox with no AIs
-Busy sandbox with 1 or 2 star AIs. The 3 star ones are assholes.

Personally I prefer the former which is a shame because I absolutely adore some of the other characters.

Oddly enough if you want to trim back the AI players, having the pirates on hard will do wonders. It's relatively simple and cheap to keep up non-aggression treaty (7-8K monies every 2 hours), each time giving you a reputation boost. Then once you get their reputation high enough ask for a trade agreement and start drowning in money: both pirates pay a hilarious premium for all things alcoholic. Schnapps, Beer, Rum, Champagne all go for fat $$$ and will keep their reputation topped off forever.

All while the pirate AIs will keep trimming back the AI player ships so they don't quite reach a murderball state.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Initial Africa thoughts:

1) Wow, big place. There are a lot of islands and some are huge. Come w/ at least 80 influence to lock down one of each resource.

2) Other NPCs will show up and start grabbing islands. It happened in my game maybe 5-10 minutes after the arrival of Archie and his fleet.

3) I was gifted an initial island and the rest I needed to settle. You will need 8 mud bricks plus the local wood to build a new pier, so beeline the second tier of housing and get brick factories up asap to support the grab.

4) Enbessan clay and Old World clay are the same. Given that Enbessan clay can only be extracted by giving up a precious water supply location, I set up a trade route to import clay fairly quickly.

5) The greening visual effect of irrigation is really cool. I'm excited to experiment with this, and after making some lovely towns last night, I'll say I think the best way to build islands in Enbessa is to build out the irrigation system first, in total. Just do the whole island. Then start adding buildings and pop, after you've clearly laid out what is fertile and what isn't. The range of irrigation from the canal is 4 squares, so you can create pockets of perfect greenery with some practice. Farms here are apparently rigged to use silos/tractors at some future point, so by using the naturally occurring fertility zones near rivers as a future place to expand the fields once I've boosted them, I might not even have to redo the whole thing in the future.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

physeter posted:

Initial Africa thoughts:

5) Farms here are apparently rigged to use silos/tractors at some future point, so by using the naturally occurring fertility zones near rivers as a future place to expand the fields once I've boosted them, I might not even have to redo the whole thing in the future.

We all know that isn’t true, this is Anno

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
For those of you who do not like pure sandbox games (I don't, I need one or more victory conditions to really enjoy a game, as I have this compulsion to be working toward a game generated win state), what settings/victory conditions do you use?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SlyFrog posted:

For those of you who do not like pure sandbox games (I don't, I need one or more victory conditions to really enjoy a game, as I have this compulsion to be working toward a game generated win state), what settings/victory conditions do you use?

If it's your first time, I'd go with one investor. That's going to be tough for a beginner.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Mayveena posted:

If it's your first time, I'd go with one investor. That's going to be tough for a beginner.

I've played before, and played Anno games a fair bit. Just with 1800, I've never gotten that far in (I've gotten to the third tier of citizens, and exchanging a few products with the New World to the Old World).

I'm actually a little worried about that separately. I love DLC, but it feels like they have added so many plates to spin in a game that had a lot in the first place. I'll see how I do.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

SlyFrog posted:

I just set it to require the max of every victory condition except alliances. I've never achieved those conditions, because I'm addicted to restarting, but just having a "goal" tricks my dumb brain into shutting up about it

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The extended/area eyedropper really makes me wish that when they get onto the next Anno, they'll upgrade it by giving you a clipboard/the ability to save a couple designs. (Much like the blueprints system from Factorio.)
So that you for example can just slap down a 'Market+pub+first group of houses' design onto a new island, or saving specific layouts for later use.
(Like, I like to make small squares of 'road+lumberjack+sawmill modules I can plop down, to avoid the annoying 95%,97%,90%,99% dance while setting up roads around lumberjacks.)

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My big request is they the need to change trees back to how they worked in 1440-2070 where you paintbrush them in and they apply to woodcutters/charcoal mills. Then all being 1 tile decorations ruins the fun.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mazz posted:

My big request is they the need to change trees back to how they worked in 1440-2070 where you paintbrush them in and they apply to woodcutters/charcoal mills. Then all being 1 tile decorations ruins the fun.

use the temperate grove

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

boar guy posted:

use the temperate grove

That works for the 'paintbrush in and get a forest' but as they are ornaments they don't count as trees for the woodcutters.
(Unless maybe I'm accidentally using one of the ones added by spice it up. Which is possible since it adds a ton of different ornamentals.)

As an aside, it's kind of surprising how many QoL boosts and tweaks they've added to the game, both at release and over time in patches.
Which is why it's still kind of baffling that I can't just bulk-upgrade all the roads in an area, like I can with residences etc.

I really wish I could just click and drag and upgrade all the roads to brick inside cities and etc, which is a hassle when you're like me and try to break up the straight lines a bit.
I also miss the third tier of roads, from 2070. You could have a couple different interesting ones, and adding a type of road is a lot less graphical work than any kind of building etc.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

boar guy posted:

yeah every time I think "alright I think I can dig in for real here" there's like, a lot more new stuff and I go... "eh gonna wait"

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Be careful with Land of Lions timed missions, think I completely hosed the first ally island by not noticing a timer.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

boar guy posted:

use the temperate grove

It’s still an ornament, you can’t build through it and it reduces woodcutter/charcoal % for each overlapping tile. In the other games it would let you get 100% in way denser areas for those production buildings. Also the little grass tile underneath looks terrible in a lot of places altho mods can take that part out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Okay game, let's see what I got from my very first expedition on this save...

:stare:
Yeah, sure, I'll take the full Arctic Tundra set in one go.

They're literally my ONLY THREE ANIMALS too!

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 24, 2020

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I got a little bit into enbesa and realized I did the expeditions bad cause I didn't read them... I lied, cheated, used violence, etc. just because that's where the bonuses were at. I'm going back and re-doing the intro voyage to there and actually reading closely. Enbesa requires 100% focus, disregarding all burning down cities and plague spreads. It's no joke.

Seems fun so far but really hard to manage with the canals and whatnot. I also am not a fan of story in my anno, it turns out.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Been a few months since I've played and thinking while I download this DLC right now if I can even jump in on my old game without my brain imploding from all the poo poo I left going on. But also want to get stuck into the new content asap. Either way it's a perfect rainy weekend for way too much Anno.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love this game but man the plate juggling really fries my brain quickly. I'm playing with Qing only, so it's laid back. But trying to sort out interisland logistics is hard.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I dunno how experienced you are with 1800, but a couple of things that really helped me were: 1) not expanding too quickly, and 2) not bankrupting myself via overproducing.

For point 1, yeah you kind of want a steady influx of new housing and residents, but if you add a few hundred homes at once that will ripple through your supply chains because now you need a bunch more fish, schnapps, clothes, services etc. Expand gradually and deliberately, and watch your stats screen like a hawk to see pain points in your logistics. The production screen shows you supply vs demand for each good, while the storage screen shows you how long goods last in your inventory, which is particularly helpful for rum, chocolate etc that has to get important.

For the latter point, just build what you need as you need it (until late game when you're sitting on a Scrooge McDuck pile of cash). One dumb mistake I made in my first few games was googling for the most efficient layouts, which are obviously designed for lategame islands. Setting up a 3x bread chain is totally overkill, and it's easy to bankrupt yourself doing it.

Try and build each island in a state that it could theoretically last an hour or more without any particular attention.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm not brand new, but I'm definitely inexperienced (I've never gone to the New World, but only because I give up before then due to the mental gymnastics and becoming overwhelmed with the amount of stuff going on). Given the ratios of the game, how do I prevent my people from overproducing? And is there any point in curtailing production, because the building maintenance stays the same, no? I may as well sell the extra produce. But yeah, I've realised I fell for the mistake you mentioned, where I'll slam down entire neighbourhoods and then watch my economy collapse.

It takes a while to get back on track, but I've thankfully managed to keep on top of things without requiring a restart. Though that being said, my main island is having a mass exodus as fish production wasn't enough and I didn't realise I hadn't set up a trade route for it. Oops.

Forgot to ask: if I don't do New World / Land of Lions expeditions, is the new region locked for AI players too? Or will they be over there colonizing it whilst I'm just faffing about with artisans.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 24, 2020

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have said it before but holy hell the spinning plates are many with this DLC. With arctics and Crown Falls and New World and Land of Lions and what not. Playing this with two other people in coop is so cool, because it allows entire islands be ran by your friends, and one person has much easier time to focus. And still there are plates that sping!

And one of the best patch notes with this coop gaming is the ability to request your friends to send a ship to them and you being able to actually select the region and the arrival harbor. Such a huge bonus to quality of life.

This game owns.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 24, 2020

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wish I had friends who liked playing Anno lol, coop seems like it would be incredible.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Qubee posted:

Wish I had friends who liked playing Anno lol, coop seems like it would be incredible.

It's fine but it takes so so long without being able to speed up time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I rarely speed up time unless it's very early game or late game. So many plates to spin.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I usually get things balanced: positive income, zero growth, trade routes sorted and stockpiles either balanced or increasing, then I pop it into max speed to either get money or wait for ships to get into spot before an expedition. Rest of the time I'm on speed 2.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

It's fine but it takes so so long without being able to speed up time.

Only in the very beginning does lack of speeding time come into play, honestly. The first couple hours are times when you can easily make coffee or sandwiches,, and use the bathroom, without missing out on anything really. Which makes it kind of a chill vacation day coop activity, too! As soon as everyone has their own big island to manage, poo poo takes off so quick that you never want to speed up time. With a hundred ships in trade routes, and everything from land of polar bears to land of lions demanding your time, there's plenty. Anno in coop is simply incredible. With coop, it is easy to also start scooping up all the island simultaneously, and often one person does quests and expeditions while others work on production. And in war you'll have one warlord dealing with pirates or AI, while everyone else stays on economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I love the writing, but I don't know how much I love this type of story telling in anno. Having to make decisions that might result in permanently losing stuff is like... eh. I'm just gonna save scum it cause the bonuses are never worth losing in a game like this.

Canals are way better than the heat system in the arctic, but still a pain to manage.