Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Thanks, all.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This is absolutely beautiful. Your friend does great work too.

I thought it was going to be a bar to hold expensive liquor. Those windows look absolutely made for it.

Then you put a nintendo on it. :negative:

Video games are way more interesting than overpriced booze. Fite me.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is really pretty and I really love the style of the glasswork. How did you hold the glass in? I'm not sure I've ever found a perfect way.

(Ask me about the time I used hot hide glue to glue in the wooden stops and glued the glass to the door frame and split all the glass when the door styles shrunk a little)

poopinmymouth posted:

I want to hear their answer too, but one way to accomplish is to get window strips, which can come as thin as 1mm with adhesive backing. Just apply to the frame, put glass in, apply trim (also with gummy strip) to hold it in.

This won't work for glass that is slid into place, only with trim held, that can be dropped in from front or back.

I referenced these two articles from the LAP Hayward collection on paneled doors (click for huge):

I made the strips and fit them to match the rabbet depth. My initial plan was to pin them, like the first article shows. I even drilled holes in one of the strips. However, the smallest nails I have are some fine finish cut nails about 1" long, which was way too long. I trimmed down a nail so it would go maybe 1/4" into the stile, but when I tried to drive it in with a small hammer, it felt way too risky against the glass.

The 2nd article mentions using glue is acceptable, specifically for glass doors, so I ended up just using some wood glue on the strips. Now you've got me worried :ohdear: I didn't purposefully apply glue to the glass panel itself, but maybe some of the squeezeout made it in?

On the first door I just did square corners, which I regret. I mitered them for the 2nd door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
The more I look at those windows the more I just love them. They look like something out of a 7th century castle library.

My dad used to do stained glass as a hobby. I never really cared too much for the multi-color, but I wonder if he could teach me to make something like this... :thunk:

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ColdPie posted:

I wrote up a construction blog post. Short version is I'm super happy with how it turned out. It was my first time making and hanging doors and, other than a few mistakes with where I drilled the holes for the hinges, they turned out perfect. I think this is easily the nicest piece I've made.

This is really nice. I'm impressed with just how trim everything looks but that's probably because I'm a poo poo woodworker.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

My dad used to do stained glass as a hobby. I never really cared too much for the multi-color, but I wonder if he could teach me to make something like this... :thunk:

Wheel-cut glass (it's just the one color!) is pretty rad if you want to get into that kind of thing. Apparently a lot of the antique stuff is breaking because of the expansion/contraction of the layers and everyone is just pumping out lovely flashed/molded stuff instead of doing it proper.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ColdPie posted:

The 2nd article mentions using glue is acceptable, specifically for glass doors, so I ended up just using some wood glue on the strips. Now you've got me worried :ohdear: I didn't purposefully apply glue to the glass panel itself, but maybe some of the squeezeout made it in?

On the first door I just did square corners, which I regret. I mitered them for the 2nd door.

I think my problem was from using hot hide glue. Turns out the bond even with glass is strong af and unlike normal PVA yellow glue, it has no stretch at all. Glass of course doesn't stretch either, so the door styles shrinking pulled on the glue that pulled on the glass and pulled the glass apart. Wood movement is powerful. Live and learn. I later learned the way they used to make chipped/textured glass was to paint it with hot hide glue and as the glue shrinks in drying dries, it pulls up chunks of glass.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think my problem was from using hot hide glue. Turns out the bond even with glass is strong af and unlike normal PVA yellow glue, it has no stretch at all. Glass of course doesn't stretch either, so the door styles shrinking pulled on the glue that pulled on the glass and pulled the glass apart. Wood movement is powerful. Live and learn. I later learned the way they used to make chipped/textured glass was to paint it with hot hide glue and as the glue shrinks in drying dries, it pulls up chunks of glass.

One idea is to pre drill your trim, complete with predrilling for the screw head, then use something nearly microscopic in width and length. Non impact alternative to nails that doesn't require glue (and bonus, makes glass replacement way easier)

This trim is way bigger, but you get the idea

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 23, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

we woodworkers are always trying to solve every problem with wood, but: you can also seal the glass in place with a strip of rubber, or use silicone caulking. Both have give and can stretch as the wood moves without letting go, and both are easy to peel off if you need to change the glass or fix a broken pane later.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Leperflesh posted:

we woodworkers are always trying to solve every problem with wood, but: you can also seal the glass in place with a strip of rubber, or use silicone caulking. Both have give and can stretch as the wood moves without letting go, and both are easy to peel off if you need to change the glass or fix a broken pane later.

What I have finally settled on is pin nailing in wooden stops with a few little dabs of caulk to keep the glass from rattling. It's not entirely authentic, but it does work. I've tried doing it 'right' with glazing points and putty and that is a giant loving mess. My old boss used to hire an old retired guy that worked at a glass co. for a million years to do it and for $40 he'd do a big complicated display case door in an hour and leave it spotless. It definitely looks the best when it's all said and done.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
All the glass doors I've done I let the glass company set the glass, they just used silicone caulking...not authentic, but it's easy and they do a good job.

I did some woodworking for the first time in three months, it felt really good to make some dust and shavings again. I hand ripped a red oak board, then planed the edges and did some edge glue-ups. That was my first time hand ripping a decent size board, I re-filed a panel saw for ripping for the occasion, it worked great but definitely a lot of work. Re-filing a saw and ripping the board by hand was less work than wiring 240V to my garage...although at some point I'll be building more than shelves so wiring the garage will be less work.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I did some woodworking for the first time in three months, it felt really good to make some dust and shavings again. I hand ripped a red oak board, then planed the edges and did some edge glue-ups. That was my first time hand ripping a decent size board, I re-filed a panel saw for ripping for the occasion, it worked great but definitely a lot of work. Re-filing a saw and ripping the board by hand was less work than wiring 240V to my garage...although at some point I'll be building more than shelves so wiring the garage will be less work.

Ripping was the only thing I was really kind of worried about going to mostly hand tools, but I made this kerfing plane a few months back and it makes it sooooo much easier.

Used a Japanese saw blade. I'd hit a nail and chipped a few teeth off the crosscut side, so I cut off the rip side and sandwiched it between two pieces of oak. I'm gonna add a fence at some point, but for now clamping a straightedge down works. Gives a nice straight line for the saw to follow.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

Ripping was the only thing I was really kind of worried about going to mostly hand tools, but I made this kerfing plane a few months back and it makes it sooooo much easier.

They always seemed like too much work to make to me but this looks like such a simple design I just might do it! I think I’ve even got an old saw plate lying around somewhere.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You can get brown butyl on a roll - it’s like a glazing putty. Already the right colour and doesn’t set like silicone so you can take as long as you like to persuade it into place. I’m not saying the other suggestions are bad, Just another option.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
Has anyone ever tried to make a jig for face joining with a thickness planer? What do you recommend? There are a lot of options online of varying complexity.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Has anyone ever tried to make a jig for face joining with a thickness planer? What do you recommend? There are a lot of options online of varying complexity.

I just use MDF/plywood and hot glue wedges under the gaps and glue a block at the back and both sides. It's easier to just make quick jigs and discard them in my case.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Are you talking about a Planer sled? I use a plywood one with a lip glued on the back. I use that non slip foam drawer liner stuff and shims to hold the piece which works well and I don't have to deal with glue or tape.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Granite Octopus posted:

They always seemed like too much work to make to me but this looks like such a simple design I just might do it! I think I’ve even got an old saw plate lying around somewhere.

Yeah, it took a couple hours to make from a rough cut piece of oak. Didn’t take any in progress shot but here

Just cut a rabbet as deep as the saw blade is thick on one piece, glued together and used a couple bolts to hold it in place.

Ranidas
Jun 19, 2007
I'm waiting on a few things to arrive to finish up the project I'm working on, so I decided to try cutting dovetails for the first time. It... did not turn out pretty.

Aside from learning how to saw properly (and getting a better saw), a big issue was trying to chisel the waste in the bottom of the tails and pins. Whenever I chiseled across end grain, it would crush and both look terrible and be impossible to get a flush fit. My chisel was sharp enough to pare wood away by hand across grain with no issue, I assume this is just an issue with soft woods like poplar?

Ranidas fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 24, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ranidas posted:

I'm waiting on a few things to arrive to finish up the project I'm working on, so I decided to try cutting dovetails for the first time. It... did not turn out pretty.

Aside from learning how to saw properly (and getting a better saw), a big issue was trying to chisel the waste in the bottom of the tails and pins. Whenever I chiseled across end grain, it would crush and both look terrible and be impossible to get a flush fit. My chisel was sharp enough to pare wood away by hand across grain with no issue, I assume this is just an issue with soft woods like poplar?
For a first time I think they’re pretty decent. You didn’t cut on the wrong side of the line anywhere (like I still do occasionally) and that’s something. Your sawing could use a little work, but that comes with practice. It helps to mark vertical lines on the pins/tails on each side of the board as guides. Also better to saw the joint too tight and then pare to make it fit than to saw it too loose.

Either method works, but I’ve always cut pins first and then traced the tails off of them. They seem easier to scribe off of than the tails? Don’t try and lay off both parts-use one part as the template for the other.

I usually chop across the endgrain from the back and the face so any of that crushing stuff happens where you don’t see it and it doesn’t blow out on a visible surface. It helps to do the heavy chopping a little bit off your line and then work to the line with lighter paring cuts, again from both sides. It’s also easier to get nice looking dovetails with thinner (1/2”?) stock than thicker stock. A half degree error off vertical shows up twice as much in 1” stuff vs. 1/2” etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ranidas posted:

Sawdust and glue hides all mistakes :ninja:

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Ranidas posted:

Dovetails

Echoing everything Kaiser Schnitzel and Rutibex already said. It’s definitely more difficult with softer woods. Wood glue, sawdust, finish and wax will all combine to hide the majority of gaps surprisingly convincingly.

Great first attempt, and good on you for trying. I’ve heard of a surprising number of woodworkers that have never even attempted it which is really a shame. It’s just another kind of joint which has its pros and cons, but it’s not something that should be feared, and like everything gets better with practice.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my friends are considering this bed from room and board - I'm sure it's high quality given the retailer, I'm just wondering what this means

"benchmade solid wood and wood veneer frame with reinforced joinery"

https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/emerson-bed

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

As one of the least well informed people in the thread take this with a grain of salt, but I think that probably means it's made of something like poplar with a veneer of nicer wood over that. Technically still hardwood construction but much cheaper than solid walnut or whatever.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Olothreutes posted:

As one of the least well informed people in the thread take this with a grain of salt, but I think that probably means it's made of something like poplar with a veneer of nicer wood over that. Technically still hardwood construction but much cheaper than solid walnut or whatever.

yeah I doubt the whole thing is solid walnut (there is a walnut option for the bed), I assume walnut refers to the veneer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Olothreutes posted:

This would be my guess, except I'd assume pine instead of poplar since I don't think it says anywhere that it's solid hardwood, just solid wood.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I consider 1699 to be a bit low for a really high quality queen size bed, so yeah it might be pine.

this is the other bed they are considering https://www.dwr.com/bedroom-beds/cove-bed/2196665.html?lang=en_US

quote:

Solid oak or walnut rails, bedposts and footboard
Oak or walnut veneer headboard with solid wood edging
Solid ash slats

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This would be my guess, except I'd assume pine instead of poplar since I don't think it says anywhere that it's solid hardwood, just solid wood.

White pine is not particularly a strong lumber for things like beds, and poplar may be classed hardwood, but it's definitely 2nd tier, cheap.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Good point on the strength, I didn't think about that. I know poplar's cheap, but pine's cheaper, that was the extent of my thinking. :v:

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Which pine and what situation matters a lot for appropriateness.

White pine is pretty trash on every metric but cost while SYP has extremely high strength (but sub par surface hardness).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Decided that cobbling together some rube-goldberg esq contraption every time I want to router something more involved than a rounded edge was silly, so I'm making a table of my own design.

Bought a drop in aluminum plate from Amazon and had to drill holes to make it work, but it works. I'm too cheap to buy t-channed and fittings so I spent $8.00 and bought two closet door sliders.

Planning on making some cabinets this winter.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If you are going super budget why not just attach the router directly to the underside of the table and forego the plate altogether?

Nice work regardless

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

GEMorris posted:

If you are going super budget why not just attach the router directly to the underside of the table and forego the plate altogether?

Nice work regardless

I'm about to do that to make my new router work with the free table I was given. The plate will not fit and I figure I have countersink bits so why not.

Also if I had known how easy non-end grain cutting boards were I would have just done this in the first place. Putting this whole thing together, minus glue dry time, took about as long as sanding did on the end grain board. This one is walnut, cherry, and maple.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I'm about to do that to make my new router work with the free table I was given. The plate will not fit and I figure I have countersink bits so why not.

Also if I had known how easy non-end grain cutting boards were I would have just done this in the first place. Putting this whole thing together, minus glue dry time, took about as long as sanding did on the end grain board. This one is walnut, cherry, and maple.

cool cutting board! I think that this might be what I do with my hardwood scraps. It might be fun to make them over an extended period and play tetris cutting scraps to size and adding them to the mix.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I’m building a simple pine salt cellar as a first project...it’s not exactly pretty but I’m reasonably happy with it.

A few issues:

-whenever I try to sand a surface flat, it always seems to come out bulging in the middle and tapered on the edges (see the right side of the box for an example). Is there a secret to sanding surfaces flat?

-the lid seems a bit warped; is there an easy way to flatten it? I tried just clamping it down to my workbench for a few hours, but it immediately returned to its warped form when I released the clamps.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rock My Socks! posted:

I’m building a simple pine salt cellar as a first project...it’s not exactly pretty but I’m reasonably happy with it.

A few issues:

-whenever I try to sand a surface flat, it always seems to come out bulging in the middle and tapered on the edges (see the right side of the box for an example). Is there a secret to sanding surfaces flat?

Are you using a sanding block, or just your hands?

Rock My Socks! posted:

-the lid seems a bit warped; is there an easy way to flatten it? I tried just clamping it down to my workbench for a few hours, but it immediately returned to its warped form when I released the clamps.

Hand plane1!! Or a planer/jointer. The idea is the same: take down the high spots until there aren't any more. Then it's flat.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ColdPie posted:

Are you using a sanding block, or just your hands?

I’ve tried with both a block and a cheap random orbital detail sander, but the result seems the same between both.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

CommonShore posted:

cool cutting board! I think that this might be what I do with my hardwood scraps. It might be fun to make them over an extended period and play tetris cutting scraps to size and adding them to the mix.

Thanks. My wife picked the layout. I just did all the work. I have to pop out like a half dozen more because our families saw the first one and all decided they wanted one for Christmas. On top of that my mother-in-law wants one of these https://www.wwgoa.com/article/make-sapele-birch-trivet/. I don't have a table saw so I have to make a jig to make all those box joints on my router table. I'm going to cheat though and just buy the thin boards from Rockler/Woodcraft/Woodworker's Source because I know I can't make those cuts on my cheap band saw and have them come out even close to uniform.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rock My Socks! posted:

A few issues:

Rip it dead center, plane the two cut edges and glue it back together. You'll never flatten it otherwise, imo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Technically you can flatten that with steam and clamps, but you'd need to build a steam box and it's still awfully thick for that. I wouldn't bother.

I'd either go at it with a plane to take down the high spot on the underside and the two high spots on the top edge; or, toss it and try again with another piece of wood.

By the way, yes, sanding can result in unevenness since there's nothing forcing your sanding action to keep things even: but also, look at the grain on that plank. You can see the tree rings. It's warping because as you remove some wood, the remaining wood had tensions and forces locked into it when the tree was alive that you are now releasing by cutting/removing fibers, plus any moisture changes as the wood dries or absorbs moisture in your shop. Wood often moves, and you can select planks with grain that telegraphs that it's going to /not going to move as much.

"quartersawn" planks are the most desirable for making flat, stable runs of wood, because you can shave off some wood from any part of it and it doesn't want to try to cup, twist, or bend on you as a result. What you have is a "flat sawn" plank: it naturally wants to curve because of the tension in those rings being released from the cuts through them, and you are fighting that.

But the best cuts cost more, particularly because you waste more of the tree/it's more costly to process, if you cut it to maximize production of quarter-sawn planks:

A rift-sawn plank (typically harvested from a plain-sawn log) is a good compromise between the quartersawn, and the flat-sawn, mixed, or center-cut planks (you will basically never see pine trees cut with the true rift-sawn process shown above). Of course you can work with any of them: and wood is fickle anyway, even the best quarter-sawn plank may up and twist on you anyway because the wind was blowing a particular way one spring or it grew on a slight slope or whatever the hell. But wood selection matters.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 26, 2020

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Rock My Socks! posted:

I’ve tried with both a block and a cheap random orbital detail sander, but the result seems the same between both.

Also think about the motion of your sandpaper. There is going to be some area that is spending more time being sanded that another unless you pay attention to the pattern your are using and what areas you are touching down on.
Polishes and belt sanders will sand faster on the leading edge of the work piece. A rotating disc will sand fast near the edges of the disc. A random orbit will sand more in the center of the pad than at the edges. Doing it by hand you have a ton of control but you probably will sand one area more than another without meaning to.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Technically you can flatten that with steam and clamps, but you'd need to build a steam box and it's still awfully thick for that. I wouldn't bother.

I'd either go at it with a plane to take down the high spot on the underside and the two high spots on the top edge; or, toss it and try again with another piece of wood.

By the way, yes, sanding can result in unevenness since there's nothing forcing your sanding action to keep things even: but also, look at the grain on that plank. You can see the tree rings. It's warping because as you remove some wood, the remaining wood had tensions and forces locked into it when the tree was alive that you are now releasing by cutting/removing fibers, plus any moisture changes as the wood dries or absorbs moisture in your shop. Wood often moves, and you can select planks with grain that telegraphs that it's going to /not going to move as much.

"quartersawn" planks are the most desirable for making flat, stable runs of wood, because you can shave off some wood from any part of it and it doesn't want to try to cup, twist, or bend on you as a result. What you have is a "flat sawn" plank: it naturally wants to curve because of the tension in those rings being released from the cuts through them, and you are fighting that.

But the best cuts cost more, particularly because you waste more of the tree/it's more costly to process, if you cut it to maximize production of quarter-sawn planks:

A rift-sawn plank (typically harvested from a plain-sawn log) is a good compromise between the quartersawn, and the flat-sawn, mixed, or center-cut planks (you will basically never see pine trees cut with the true rift-sawn process shown above). Of course you can work with any of them: and wood is fickle anyway, even the best quarter-sawn plank may up and twist on you anyway because the wind was blowing a particular way one spring or it grew on a slight slope or whatever the hell. But wood selection matters.

Thank you this is very helpful! Wood is an interesting substance, working with it requires a lot more insight than something uniform like a rock or metal. I am saving this post for future reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Had some more fun with my friends mill. This time I was around long enough to help cut some large trees.

In action:

These were 2x16 by about 13 ft long. Some of the straightest pine I've ever seen. It' was amazing how nice these boards were.

Also some really interesting poplar.