Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A very "I AM A GENIUS! OH NO" chapter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

tsob posted:

...I feared that it'd instead be a chapter long fight with some back and forth in a chapter dedicated to them trading blows. The chapter being mostly flashback/setup for Frieran ending it in seconds, without any real investment in it or drawn out conflict is a swerve from what I was expecting, and better for it.
Yea I liked this.

Also the flower bed magic is first mentioned in chapter 3

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

golden bubble posted:

It certainly shifts the tone of the work. Previously, it seemed like she was detached because she was ancient and elven. But now it looks like her personality is due to her multi-millenium struggle in the forever war between demons and other races. She's not some sort eccentric elf from the mists of time, but rather Mikazuki Augus but actually-1000-years-old.

It's just too bad that Frieran doesn't give her enemies insulting nicknames because she figures she's killing them too quickly to bother with remembering anything else.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

new chapter and I've seen this setup happen before except it was some japanese kid with a bird in his eye.

BRITANNIAN, how DARE you

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

It's just too bad that Frieran doesn't give her enemies insulting nicknames because she figures she's killing them too quickly to bother with remembering anything else.

She's spent several decades planning to kill Aura, and several centuries, if not a full millenia training to kill the Demon King; there's nothing quick or forgettable about that. Her not remembering their names wouldn't fit with her personality, or her actions.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New chapter

:burger: :burger:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Chapter is out

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Tune in next time for the end of frieran's journey as they all freeze to death in the snow, r i p

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
memories of that giant burger will sustain them

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Frieran will be okay as the pile of snow she collapses in will turn out to be a mimic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Hypocrisy posted:

Frieran will be okay as the pile of snow she collapses in will turn out to be a mimic.

Why are you all calling her Frieran? Is it just because the thread OP did it wrong? Literally every person and place has a super on the nose name in German.
Her name is Frieren. Which means freezing. So RIP her.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 22, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why are you all calling her Frieran? Is it just because the thread OP did it wrong? Literally every person and place has a super on the nose name in German.
Her name is Frieren. Which means freezing. So RIP her.
These folks mispelled this name that is a reference in a language they don't speak, let me correct them in an incredibly tedious, obnoxious way

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Captain Invictus posted:

These folks mispelled this name that is a reference in a language they don't speak, let me correct them in an incredibly tedious, obnoxious way

drat I hope frieran attends this guy's funeral

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Unfortunately she will not be attending it, because she will have frozen to death, as that is what her name means you buffoon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wow that's some melt down. Maybe you should ask Frieren how to keep cool.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frierin can only conjure shaved ice to keep you cool, but can't conjure syrup so that you can enjoy shaved ice dessert while keeping cool. How deplorable.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Jokes on her, I order my shaved ice half plain anyway!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New Chapter

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Hell yeah muscle elf!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’d never thought about how one of the things about living practically forever isn’t just that everyone you know will die, but all your accomplishments will probably also be forgotten.

Also I thought the monk was going to be the requisite clergy party member all adventuring parties need.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'd be surprised if he doesn't pop up again in the next few chapters given how he's been compared to Heiter already.

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
Man, this manga is absolutely amazing when it's playing with its themes. It's got this kind of wistful, melancholy tone about life and death and legacy, and I really like how it touches on the timelessness angle by always being willing to skip forward time between panels, to the point where years can pass between the frames of a page. It's just such a unique and well done comic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Onehandclapping posted:

Man, this manga is absolutely amazing when it's playing with its themes. It's got this kind of wistful, melancholy tone about life and death and legacy, and I really like how it touches on the timelessness angle by always being willing to skip forward time between panels, to the point where years can pass between the frames of a page. It's just such a unique and well done comic.

Yeah, the demon arc felt like we were just going into more standard territory, but this is what makes Frieran interesting in the first place.

All the weight of centuries, watching everything fade away or change, and just having to live with it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also the casual mention of the passing of half a year to multiple years at a time in a single chapter, which has happened repeatedly recently, meaning we will likely be saying our farewells to the current human party members maybe sooner than we expect.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Also the casual mention of the passing of half a year to multiple years at a time in a single chapter, which has happened repeatedly recently, meaning we will likely be saying our farewells to the current human party members maybe sooner than we expect.

All chapters since #6 have been 28 years after Himmel's death. The last time it took Frieren's party 10 years to get to the castle, so it shouldn't take longer than that.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 28, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Goddamn. Personally I hated the demon arc with a passion, but when this manga hits, it hits.

"Do you know who I am?"
"I don't."
"Figures, I've no idea who you are either."
- "She was a mage in the hero's party."
"Yeah, but before that?"
"What are you implying?"
"We are elves."

Simple but powerful.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Mikl posted:

Goddamn. Personally I hated the demon arc with a passion, but when this manga hits, it hits.
If one battle manga arc a year is what it costs to have the series be like this for the rest of the time, I'm willing to pay that price.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, I get the feeling that this manga is going to have like 3-4 iterations of the same general arc. There will be an occasional battle arc wherein Frieren will give no fucks and totally wreck poo poo while the humans freak out.

The manga is basically ennui art.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
The demon arc had a few good kicks as well though.
"Little girl, I have devoted most of my life to magic" and Fern confidently replying "as have I" was really memorable. And so was Eisen telling Stark "get up until you win".

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I enjoyed the "demon arc", as much as people complained elsewhere about the manga moving towards being a battle manga, the actual fights themselves were pretty subdued and the rest of the arc gave us backstory and another look at the demons.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

"A new chapter of Frieren." That was what was written in my grandmother's will

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
In any other series, I would say this was setting up something for the future. With Frieren, it's probably just a neat bit of world building.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm a bit disappointed that no one in Frieren's current party even tried to pull the sword out. But it's fine.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I keep on being surprised on how overwhelmingly strong Stark is

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Mikl posted:

I'm a bit disappointed that no one in Frieren's current party even tried to pull the sword out. But it's fine.

I'm going with "there's no way to pull the sword out, it's a motivation test". Anyone who gets discouraged because they can't isn't hero material to begin with. But he should have tried.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mikl posted:

None of them are trying to be particularly heroic. They're just on a journey.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

Frieren and Fern are mages, and Stark wields an axe. None of them have any use for a sword.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
A Present for a Warrior

Being Fern is suffering.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

She can’t deny that that cloud looked like boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Stark watches clouds with all of his might