Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rashford for pm imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

It's in banks which are nominally headquartered there.

AFAIK the main reason they chose the Caymans instead of like... greenlad... is that it means that when your company HQ is in the caymans you have to go to the caymans for board meetings.

The Cayman Islands are the stereotypical place because they were the first to offer that sort of offshore company registration to the US (the Channel Islands had been doing it for the UK for longer, and of course Switzerland has been doing it pretty much for its entire existence), so it gets into the culture like through that Simpsons clip.

Basically any small country with not many natural resources or anything else to base an economy on does this kind of brass-plate scam to a greater or lesser extent, and it's pretty much the only thing the UK economy has been running on since the late 80s. The UK is more attractive (for now) than, say, the Turks or Caicos Islands, because there are also assets in the UK that can be bought, sold, leased and loaned by your brass plate company to launder your money as well as skipping taxes in your home country, it's a convenient one-stop shop for people who need a new form of guillotine inventing for them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

people who need a new form of guillotine inventing for them.
The Patent Office keeps refusing to respond to me.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

thespaceinvader posted:

I wonder what the new terms chosen for the Axis and the Allies will be this time when we're in the Axis...
History has shown that fascism is not defeated in the marketplace of ideas, but by unrestrained military action smashing its armed forces, its industrial base and its civilian population into rubble.

This does not bode well for us in the long term.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you want a sort of gentle primer on offshore banking and the Panama Papers you could watch the Steven Soderbergh movie from last year, The Laundromat.

It's pretty much a failed attempt at replicating The Big Short and is kinda :effort: but it's mildly diverting with a good cast

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Payndz posted:

History has shown that fascism is not defeated in the marketplace of ideas, but by unrestrained military action smashing its armed forces, its industrial base and its civilian population into rubble.

Smashing the British industrial base into rubble could be done by six navvies in an afternoon. It would be a war where the fascists started in the bunker, digging down.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

thanks for all the responses confirming that the Cayman Islands are indeed a huge loving scam perpetrated by the rich upon us. I'll add it to the pile

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Sky is Murdoch owned, so will champion all right wing people around the world no matter what.

For the millionth time in this thread, Murdoch sold Sky almost three years ago.

That's why he's starting a new news channel.

IMO Sky News is actually pretty alright these days, especially compared to BBC and ITV.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I just watched a little summary thing of the final US presidential debate on the BBC and if they havent edited it heavily to push the one over the other I think Trump looks pretty good and Biden looks awful.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Payndz posted:

Nah we're def not gonna be smashed to rubble because there will be no Allies

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

blunt posted:

IMO Sky News is actually pretty alright these days, especially compared to BBC and ITV.

Yeah if I'm having the news on it'll be either 4 or Sky. I never would've said that a few years ago.

BBC News is just bizarre to watch. So often the big stories of the day go either completely unmentioned or they're a footnote after some 'feelgood' "dying boy walks twenty miles to feed his family" poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

thanks for all the responses confirming that the Cayman Islands are indeed a huge loving scam perpetrated by the rich upon us. I'll add it to the pile

In some ways, it IS the pile. All the other fuckery only really makes sense in the context of having somewhere to stash the loot, and there are literal trillions flowing through these tax havens

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Saw Nicky Morgan on Question Time and got very angry when I remembered she stood down as an MP and was immediately elevated to the Lords, thus ensuring she keeps her career, money, and power but can't be voted out. Just like several of the other utter cunts.

How can we claim to be a democracy when you can literally vote out your representative and the government can go "Nah" and allow them to keep their job as a legislator? Labour really need to abolish the lords if they get in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Iran is one of only two countries in the world where religious leaders get automatic seats in the upper house. Where's Tommeh on this?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What a oval office in the Post Office this morning, wandering about looking at the things on the shelves while shouting at his partner on speakerphone (which he had left on the counter) all while one staff member was counting his money and the other was trying to serve me.

No mask of course.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Who will be backing this exciting new movement

https://twitter.com/FreeNorthNow/status/1319353669633138693

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Me definitely, it is rare to see this kind of thing that doesn't lump me in with known cunts The English. Northern Republic Now!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'd prefer Mercian independence but I'll throw in my lot with Northumbria over England.

e: Also Northampton don't get to play because they say bath wrong.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/1319532132822323201

Foreign football clubs are cheering an English player on as he tries to feed English kids. 2020 is a wild ride.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm glad they're taking norwich.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

blunt posted:

Ok my bad.
And Sky imo is getting worse. It's more peoples opinions on the street than actual news facts.
All the covid poo poo for example, you get them interviewing a few people all grumbling that they have to suffer, then tacked on at the end are the new rules or whatever is the actual changes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm glad they're taking norwich.

Because it deserves so much better than to be a part of England right?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

stev posted:

Because it deserves so much better than to be a part of England right?

No. But you're right, if they draw the line a bit straighter I could be northumbrian too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That map is monstrous. Straighten the Scottish border so it goes to Bamborough. Get rid of the bit of Wales that goes into the Pennines. Straight line across that salient that includes places like Warwick & Northampton. Give Cornwall & Devon & Somerset to Wales.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Big fan of the dramatic expansion of Wales to liberate the marches

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

That map is monstrous. Straighten the Scottish border so it goes to Bamborough. Get rid of the bit of Wales that goes into the Pennines. Straight line across that salient that includes places like Warwick & Northampton. Give Cornwall & Devon & Somerset to Wales.

i’m assuming this is the map after an extended civil war thou

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jel Shaker posted:

That's no excuse for not having straight borders

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jel Shaker posted:

Kind of, it's a map of the Tripartite Indenture, an agreement to divide the Kingdom of England among the three leaders of the rebellion against Henry IV in 1405.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Reveilled posted:

Kind of, it's a map of the Tripartite Indenture, an agreement to divide the Kingdom of England among the three leaders of the rebellion against Henry IV in 1405.

I'll bet they were an unbearable bunch of cunts to hang around with

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Hey. Those borders should be allowed to love anyone they like.

Though seriously Boris needs to stop spontaneously making GBS threads himself and get a loving grip.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Draw two lines below Sheffield but above Warwick, the midlands can be the new DMZ

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

the sex ghost posted:

Draw two lines below Sheffield but above Warwick, the midlands can be the new DMZ

It's not already? how do you explain Stoke?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

- The Foreign Office, 1919

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

It's not already? how do you explain Stoke?

Having been exceptionally, snowblind drunk in a garden in stoke I find it best not to explain stoke at all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

- The Foreign Office, 1919

any excuse to post this again (you'll need your VPN set to US)

cc.com/video-clips/kovgs5/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-sir-archibald-mapsalot-iii

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sending this to Brussels

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Sending this to Brussels