Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Mayveena posted:

You don't control minions though, otherwise I'd have mentioned it.

A huge part of the game is worker management, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yes, I just mentioned that so OP would know that it doesn't include minions. I love Factory Town myself.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I was playing No Man's Sky and thought about how cool it would be to have the same kind of game but to be able to command the capital ship rather than just pilot a ship.

Are there any games like that out there?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

I was playing No Man's Sky and thought about how cool it would be to have the same kind of game but to be able to command the capital ship rather than just pilot a ship.

Void Destroyer 2
X3: Albion Prelude

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
X3, depending on your computer, can easily have you directing a hundred ships.
Carriers and missile boats etc.
The only limit is how much your computer can handle.
You start as a single ship and build up to it.
And it is tons of sandbox fun.

e:Actually at some point it becomes better when you arent even in the system that the fight is in, because if you have too many carriers and poo poo going on the collision dynamics gets all wonky which is negated if you are in a different system.

But then you miss out on the sweet sweet space battles.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 16, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nthing X3. Going with your single ship and smuggling space weed and space whiskey until buying yourself a bigger ship to smuggle even more stuff around before buying extra ships to automatically do trade runs for you. Then you start building space stations to produce stuff and now instead of buying space weed you're making space weed and cutting out the middle man.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I feel like X4 is 100x better looking and yet a lesser game.
As far as I can tell it is soo much smaller and just feels different.
And still just as janky.
Yet 6x the price.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm looking for a game I recently removed from my wishlist on Steam. I think it was called Invasive Planet or something like that. If I recall correctly it was a real time strategy game where your units couldn't move, so it was similar to a tower defense game. Does anyone know what this is? It's from the last 5 years or so

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SoR Blaze posted:

I'm looking for a game I recently removed from my wishlist on Steam. I think it was called Invasive Planet or something like that. If I recall correctly it was a real time strategy game where your units couldn't move, so it was similar to a tower defense game. Does anyone know what this is? It's from the last 5 years or so
Uh, closest thing that came to mind name wise was Infested Planet. But you CAN Move your Soldiers (and set deployable defenses) in spite of the very tower defense vibes at times from enemy waves created by spawners.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 16, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OgNar posted:

I feel like X4 is 100x better looking and yet a lesser game.
As far as I can tell it is soo much smaller and just feels different.
And still just as janky.
Yet 6x the price.

I admit I only played it during launch but I think its the significantly bigger zones making it feel really empty. I just checked a map and there was more sectors then I remembered, but it didn't feel like that cause you'd go into each zone and there would be like 10 stations at most then a bunch of dead space.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I bring this up now and then out of a sense of obligation of feeling like I didn't play it enough. Starshatter is free, set in a day-by-day apparently small-scale dynamic war campaign that tracks wins and losses, is set in space, and you can command fighters, bombers, up to frigates, battleships, and the carrier, sending out wings of fighters. I believe you can also direct the day-to-day deployments of your whole dang carrier group.
It's... ok. Feels a bit unfinished, but it's a full game from what I can tell. And it's old.

Also I think Helium Rain lets you gradually direct big space battles also, but I slid off of it early on, because that's what I do with every space game apparently.

The power or self-promotion curve of both Helium Rain and Starshatter are much faster than X3 was, so if they don't do it for you, you at least figure it out quickly.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Has anyone played The Low Road? Is it decent? It's on sale, but I think I came across it through the Steam algo rather than one of the point-and-click adventures recommendations here.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Leal posted:

I admit I only played it during launch but I think its the significantly bigger zones making it feel really empty. I just checked a map and there was more sectors then I remembered, but it didn't feel like that cause you'd go into each zone and there would be like 10 stations at most then a bunch of dead space.

They've added a lot of zones since launch, something like almost double. The release X4 was pretty small. I admit it also doesn't quite have the same look as the X3 zones where you can see a bunch of large stations at once from a single position but to be fair X3 doesn't have that many systems like that and most of them are as barren as your average X4 system.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That would explain my confusion then, cause I swore at launch there was like... 3 zones per faction, maybe 6 xenon sectors and a handful of independent ones.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hey, whats a chill game for exploring, discovering stuff and building neat things.

Stuff I like:
Terraria- waiting for mods to work with the latest update
Subnautica
Stardew Valley
X3
Oxygen not included

Things that didn't work out despite liking parts of them:
Starbound- this was great just for building cool poo poo but there were a lot of irritants
No Man's Sky
Minecraft

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I got SUPER into Ark: Survival Evolved but I'm honestly not sure if I would call it a good game. Still it got hundreds of hours out of me somehow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, whats a chill game for exploring, discovering stuff and building neat things.

Stuff I like:
Subnautica
Stardew Valley
X3
Oxygen not included

Starbound- this was great just for building cool poo poo but there were a lot of irritants
No Man's Sky
Minecraft
Signs of Life
Project Zomboid, depending on your definition of chill

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stuff I like:
Subnautica
Stardew Valley
X3
Oxygen not included

No Man's Sky
Minecraft

Satisfactory, but only if you also like math

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you like the basebuilding/moron-managing aspects of Oxygen Not Included, but wanted something with more meat to the combat, and also set in a space western, you might want to look at Rimworld?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Craft The World might fit in that genre.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh!

Have you tried Slime Rancher?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations! I was meaning to check out Slime Rancher.

Rimworld never really clicked with me, but I probably just need some extra patience before engaging with it.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I got SUPER into Ark: Survival Evolved but I'm honestly not sure if I would call it a good game. Still it got hundreds of hours out of me somehow.

I vaguely remember looking into Ark because it sounded really cool and coming to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. Can't remember why - something about needing multiplayer or excessive grind to do stuff?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Ark is the sort of game I played for a few hours, realized how long it would take to accomplish anything cool, then restarted with like 20x resource generation/timer reduction and had a blast playing for a few weeks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I vaguely remember looking into Ark because it sounded really cool and coming to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. Can't remember why - something about needing multiplayer or excessive grind to do stuff?

You are right that the game at vanilla settings is absolutely poo poo. Like, it would have to literally be your full time job to accomplish anything notable. BUT once you up the rates like the previous poster suggested, you can bypass all of that. Then it becomes about exploring pretty areas with dinosaurs in them, and taming/riding the dinosaurs. The open world nature and the ability to recruit dinos is what made the game appealing to me. Particularly appealing is stumbling across a new dino and figuring out what its deal is, just bein like "what the gently caress is THAT" and then you can tame that thing and it can do something useful for you, like for example certain dinos can chop down trees super fast or get a lot of rocks from stone sources.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I want to have the chillest experience possible. The Community Center and real time combat makes Stardew Vallew unchill, that's how little fucks I want to give about being efficient and doing things on time. I just want to putter along without defeating the big bad, dealing with a grimdark world or remembering it's 2020. I want cheerful.

Basically, I'm looking for an Atelier game (the ones that don't have a time limit, at least), but on PC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fat Samurai posted:

I want to have the chillest experience possible. The Community Center and real time combat makes Stardew Vallew unchill, that's how little fucks I want to give about being efficient and doing things on time. I just want to putter along without defeating the big bad, dealing with a grimdark world or remembering it's 2020. I want cheerful.

Basically, I'm looking for an Atelier game (the ones that don't have a time limit, at least), but on PC.

Have you played Friends of Mineral Town? The remake (which is on PC and Switch) took out about the only time-limit sorta thing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Have you played Friends of Mineral Town? The remake (which is on PC and Switch) took out about the only time-limit sorta thing.

That's the original Harvest Moon, right? Played it to death.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fat Samurai posted:

That's the original Harvest Moon, right? Played it to death.

No, it's uhh..the PlayStation 1 HM (Back to Nature), which used assets and ideas from HM64, which was then remade for GBA and is now remade again.

There's also the Doraemon Story of Season but I haven't played it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

blue squares posted:

Ok, turns out a space sim is not what I want (I tried Elite Dangerous and found it too passive and boring). But I still want to go on a space-based adventure. Basically, Mass Effect. But it doesn't have to be an RPG. Just an exciting space game that takes me on a ride.

What should I try? I'm open to older stuff with less advanced graphics, but do prefer nice visuals

I've played:
Outer Wilds (Amazing)
Outer Worlds (Fine and fun for what it was)
Tacoma (Cool)
Stellaris (meh)

Some people mentioned Star Control 2, which is a good story driven space exploration and combat game. It has elements similar to Mass Effect like landing on planets to collect resources and upgrade your fleet, bargaining with alien races, and some fun character development. Main difference is that the combat is almost all ship based, except for a few hostile encounters on planets.

There is a HD Remake by fans called The Urquan Masters which improves the visuals a lot. Here's a comparison.

SC2 Original:

UQM Remake:

There is also a Star Control 3 but based on what I've read SC2 is the more enjoyable and better written game.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 23, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Odd request, not *exactly* looking for a game per se - but I'm running private PnP games for some friends and like to use a variety of sprites/artwork to keep things Spicy, and am looking for games with easily-accessed, "smooth" 2D sprites that I can use.

Slay the Spire, Monster Train and Darkest Dungeon for example.

I know there are probably loads but I can't think of any off the top of my head - anything with a variety of weird and/or amusing, non-pixellated art that I can easily download in transparent PNG form from a wiki or something is perfect.

Hope that makes sense, just looking for some suggestions. Obviously no commercial use or public use, just for a private game!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TheMostFrench posted:

Some people mentioned Star Control 2, which is a good story driven space exploration and combat game. It has elements similar to Mass Effect like landing on planets to collect resources and upgrade your fleet, bargaining with alien races, and some fun character development. Main difference is that the combat is almost all ship based, except for a few hostile encounters on planets.

There is a HD Remake by fans called The Urquan Masters which improves the visuals a lot. Here's a comparison.

SC2 Original:

UQM Remake:

There is also a Star Control 3 but based on what I've read SC2 is the more enjoyable and better written game.

You can play The Ur-Quan Masters without the lovely HD pack. Highly recommend you play with the original 3DO graphics and music - not the DOS and not the Precursors soundtrack.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Those are not called sprites I think, just 2D art.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the elder scrolls: legends has a lot of really neat art: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Legends:Card_Art

Otherwise, I know Card Hunter has neat art but not sure if it's easily accessible. The game is free; maybe you can download it and look around the art assets?

Thea: The awakening and Thea 2: The shattering? Though I wouldn't know where to find their art assets

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Fat Samurai posted:

I'd recommend Littlewood for this.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Odd request, not *exactly* looking for a game per se - but I'm running private PnP games for some friends and like to use a variety of sprites/artwork to keep things Spicy, and am looking for games with easily-accessed, "smooth" 2D sprites that I can use.

Slay the Spire, Monster Train and Darkest Dungeon for example.

I know there are probably loads but I can't think of any off the top of my head - anything with a variety of weird and/or amusing, non-pixellated art that I can easily download in transparent PNG form from a wiki or something is perfect.

Hope that makes sense, just looking for some suggestions. Obviously no commercial use or public use, just for a private game!

Depends on the art style you want. Breath of fire 2, ogre battle: March of the black queen, Golden Axe, Heroes of might and magic 2, the SNES final fantasy monster sprites, or the PSP remakes of FF games could all be a resource.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd recommend poking around the Spriters' Resource. It has a focus on pixelated graphics, but there's plenty of newer games it has assets from, especially if you browse newer consoles or PC games.

I dunno what type of art you're looking for. If you want robots, the steamworld games are great. There's a number of fighting games that have big assortments of cleanly drawn 2D characters to draw from. Paper Mario and Shantae have nice clean graphics although it's up to you whether the aesthetics fit what you wanna do.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can play The Ur-Quan Masters without the lovely HD pack. Highly recommend you play with the original 3DO graphics and music - not the DOS and not the Precursors soundtrack.

Yeah, the HD pack isn't as charming as the original.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Knightmare posted:

I'd recommend Littlewood for this.

Thanks. This seems exactly what I’m looking for.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Those are not called sprites I think, just 2D art.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but the elder scrolls: legends has a lot of really neat art: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Legends:Card_Art

Otherwise, I know Card Hunter has neat art but not sure if it's easily accessible. The game is free; maybe you can download it and look around the art assets?

Thea: The awakening and Thea 2: The shattering? Though I wouldn't know where to find their art assets

yeah, I wasn't sure how to word it as I know they're not (mostly) sprites - used it more as shorthand for transparent PNGs/isolated character graphics with no backgrounds!

Thanks for the recs all, appreciate that it's very vague.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any splitscreen FPSes on the PS4 that have a similar feel to ye olde Goldeneye/Halo/Timesplitters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've played Factorio, Satisfactory & Mindustry, and enjoyed them all. Shapez.io, too, for a little while. In a similar vein, I liked the physics in Oxygen Not Included - manipulating liquids & gasses & vacuums, and making all these machines work together to e.g. cool your base oxygen supply, or melt oil into petroleum.

Can anyone suggest anything else I might like? Factorio's a little on the expansive side (but only a little - it's more decision paralysis than anything else) to my taste, for reference.

(e) couple things I didn't care for: the Duplicants themselves in ONI, or dealing with biters in Factorio. In it for the mechanisms more than the people, I guess

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 25, 2020