Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wrr posted:

Yeah, sometimes its a mass ransom, sometimes mass convert, sometimes maybe mass imprison but I want to see the chance to succeed before I choose which way to go. Show me them one at a time, let me hit like, the 1-5 keys to choose between the various options.

Hell let me swipe left or right like Shortspecialbus' wife was doing apparently.

Yeah this would be really nice.

As an aside though, you should rarely ever use Force Conversion though Negotiate Release, because I'm fairly sure it only converts their county when you Demand it through the normal menu. So you want to take the hook and then Demand Conversion with that.

That's for your vassals anyway, for foreigners obviously it's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Yeah the new transport system is top notch, though I would still like to see naval combat. It was more important in the middle ages than people think! Particularly in the Mediterranean.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Daktar posted:

Yeah the new transport system is top notch, though I would still like to see naval combat. It was more important in the middle ages than people think! Particularly in the Mediterranean.

If Paradox does an expansion further east I think they'll pretty much have to, from what little I know of that region's history. Unless they just add in China and nothing else.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
If they do, Sweden will still somehow have provinces in Malyasia.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

shortspecialbus posted:

:lol: my wife started a game to play on her own while I'm working or doing something else. I heard her start cackling, and she just got a tinder event, putting lady portraits in either the left or the right pile. One duke's wife said not to reply if you're not over 6 feet tall.

Stupid as hell but it was pretty hilarious. Think she's gonna hook up with a cute albino.

Yeah the Tinder reference was hilarious. There's even a "swipe up" for super-liking option and it was so perfect.

In my most recent game I sent off all my non-heir children to marry into houses based on prestige gain. I did that for a couple generations and realized I suddenly own specks of land all around Europe. Makes it funny when I get a war declaration because more often than not its for a county thousands of miles away that I didn't know I had.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 22, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man it's crazy to think that by the end of the game the Ottomans should be rampaging around in Europe. Meanwhile in this game I have never ever seen the Seljuks make a pass at Anatolia (also what's with the weird rear end Kingdom setup in Anatolia?) :smith:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

PittTheElder posted:

My complaint with end game warfare is that it's just mind bogglingly easy. The only challenge is in acquiring CBs, once you have them any AI (except middle-game Pope) is trivial to defeat because they don't hire MaA in quantity, opting instead to continuously bankrupt themselves raising thousands of worthless levies.
Yeah, the only challenge I had in my Daura run was the Mongols. Wish I screenshotted it, but they had something like 20k special MaA (that don't regenerate) on top of normal ones. Shame they attacked me instead of nearby land, would have loved to have seen them rampage more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

PittTheElder posted:

Man it's crazy to think that by the end of the game the Ottomans should be rampaging around in Europe. Meanwhile in this game I have never ever seen the Seljuks make a pass at Anatolia (also what's with the weird rear end Kingdom setup in Anatolia?) :smith:

The game just can’t model why the Turks did as well as they did.

You would need some sort of migration mechanic

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the clan govt type is fundamentally flawed and also the warmonger AI is trash, theres an independant orthodox jerusalem in my game and anatolia is mostly levantine muslims and the tulunids and abbasids are busy in greece and loving tartary respectively

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

strong bird posted:

the clan govt type is fundamentally flawed
Don't most observer games result in a mostly Muslim world conquest? Though to be fair the Byzantines are usually also blobbing and alive in the ones I've seen.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
To be honest I sort of dont understand why MaA arent always raised and like, raising them refills their morale or something. I guess that would just make them EU4 armies though.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

lurksion posted:

Don't most observer games result in a mostly Muslim world conquest? Though to be fair the Byzantines are usually also blobbing and alive in the ones I've seen.

clan does have conquest CBs so if you can get past the hump/get a good string of rulers/vassal combos you can go nuts

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Kinetica posted:

I’ve figured out that when my ruler is getting old to have a pile of heretics etc. in the dungeon all ready to go. That way when he croaks my heir can spike up the dread for a much smoother transition. :getin:

Does the HRE or Byzantine empire ever fracture on its own?

I never messed with the Byzantines until 1200-1300 in my game, and by then they had fractured into Byzantine Empire and the Despotate of Pontus. Both ended up pretty weak due to constant squabbling and getting surrounded by Muslims.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The Byzantines collapsed on their own in my Russia game, so I warred my way south to absorb the remnants and made Constantinople my capital. I was close to reforming Pravda (just needed more piety), but converted to Orthodoxy to get the bonus from the Hagia Sophia.

Constantinople and all of Thracia is now Russian culture. Most Literal Third Rome over there.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Man. I am taking advantage of claimants a lot more in my second run-through. Gobbling up anyone who comes through with a kingdom claim just because I can. I have a horrendously nonsensical empire at this point and I love it.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

lurksion posted:

I only have a self-sample of 4 games in CK3 so far, but in each one the HRE and Byzantine have both become enormous and monumentally stable, only losing small chunks temporarily when someone manages to time an independence war for when the liege is too busy, but being swallowed back up within a decade or two. The HRE has all of Italy, Hungary, Denmark, half of Sweden, most of France, and is starting to eat most of the Baltics in one of my games while Byzantine is effectively everything west and south of that, slowly eating all muslim lands.

Giant empires need more inherent instability, there should be some sort of thing that is minus control or opinion or something when X number of counties between the capital and the county/duchy in question, or perhaps if the realm size is over Y number of counties there's a similar problem.

Even the game where I stabbed 4 Byzantine emperors/heirs in a row leading to 3 regime changes in a short amount of time (gotta get my dynasty on the throne, yo) only had a very short period of instability with that and they regained everything they lost within a few years.

It's probably the thing in the game that's bugging me the most right now because there's really nothing I can do about it aside from taking chunks out of them myself if they have something I want (looking at you, Bohemia.)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

if more than (x) % of an empire title succesfully revolts, it should automatically destroy the empire title and prevent its re-creation for (y) years

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Excelzior posted:

if more than (x) % of an empire title succesfully revolts, it should automatically destroy the empire title and prevent its re-creation for (y) years

This is an awful idea.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Magil Zeal posted:

This is an awful idea.

Yeah that might be a bit much.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

shortspecialbus posted:

Giant empires need more inherent instability, there should be some sort of thing that is minus control or opinion or something when X number of counties between the capital and the county/duchy in question, or perhaps if the realm size is over Y number of counties there's a similar problem.

I think it might help if the emperor title only extended to the de jour empire domain. Like, my Russia is most of the European continent west of the Urals. No way any ruler could have governed provinces 2000 miles away back then. That forces mega-realms to buy up more empire titles which must be divvied out on succession prior to the late medieval period.

edit: I'm realizing that my mega-realm might mostly be enabled because I created my own empire title. Does the AI do that?

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 23, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Red Crown posted:

I think it might help if the emperor title only extended to the de jour empire domain. Like, my Russia is most of the European continent west of the Urals. No way any ruler could have governed provinces 2000 miles away back then. That forces mega-realms to buy up more empire titles which must be divvied out on succession prior to the late medieval period.

That would also be a bit too limiting, a ton of people that play this game really enjoy trying to paint the map as much as they can. Plus a lot of the de jour empire domains are pretty lousy. It really just effectively says "empires cannot expand, ever" unless I'm misunderstanding how taking land outside the de jure empire would work.

It's an interesting idea and it might be able to be reworked in some fashion, but I think basically saying "empires can never expand" is not really the right path either.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Hey just had a thought. . . . should I NOT be creating every empire title can I can? If I only had one empire title, would that prevent my realm from getting crazy divided upon succession and thus make me not have to send my 10,000 terrible sons to their deaths?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Wrr posted:

Hey just had a thought. . . . should I NOT be creating every empire title can I can? If I only had one empire title, would that prevent my realm from getting crazy divided upon succession and thus make me not have to send my 10,000 terrible sons to their deaths?

If you have Confederate Partition, those terrible sons will make the empire titles themselves. Otherwise, yes, this usually works.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Excelzior posted:

shortspecialbus posted:

Yeah that might be a bit much.

I think it's salvageable: it reminds me of a similar system CK2+ had as an optional rule, but that one only kicked in when losing revolts while already at minimum CA, and rulers could save the title by either spending money and prestige (if they had enough remaining vassals who liked them) or by shedding their foreign/non-dejure vassals.

End of the day, empires once they form stick around forever because:

a) not enough of their vassals ever rebel at once to actually defeat them (here's where some sort of distance bonus to attraction towards liberty/independence factions might help or on the other side something like the Imperial Decadence system that HIP and CK2+ both used to weaken the top liege's levies and tax income via event-driven modifiers over time, to represent bureaucracy and stagnation and court infighting, but allow strong leaders to rein it in.)

The fact that independence revolts are classed as "aggressive" and the wargoal is occupying the imperial capital for some reason doesn't help here either.

b) even when they do, it's usually not in a way that weakens them in the long term - they don't lose territory, they don't usually lose dev or buildings, and losing CA just means losing useless levy troops or some of their vassal taxes, which doesn't usually affect their ability to maintain MaA even at minimum CA. Even if you do lose revolts at minimum CA, if they're liberty or claimant revolts nothing happens to the empire long term unless they have peer-level competitors nearby to take advantage - something which, for example, the HRE is almost always safe from and even Byzantium usually doesn't have to worry about unless the Caliphate has been lucky. Whatever empire the player ends up forming, even more so, because AI force mixes are so suboptimal.

There are several options PDS could take to address the issue but they'll have to affect one of these two levers.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 23, 2020

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Dallan Invictus posted:

The fact that independence revolts are classed as "aggressive" and the wargoal is occupying the imperial capital for some reason doesn't help here either),

This is definitely a problem, and I think it's true of liberty (crown authority) revolts as well. The onus should always be on the liege to uphold the obligations of the vassals, not the other way around. If a vassal declares independence or says "gently caress your laws", and the liege does not come kick their rear end into line, then it only makes sense that the vassal is the de facto victor.

It would also be good if the liege's collected taxes and levies weren't so stable. Another type of revolt that lowers obligations for all involved vassals might be good, and maybe there could also be a system where disgruntled or distant vassals just don't pay what they owe, and the liege has to choose whether to call them on it and risk war, or let it slide, which could hollow out his tax base in the long run

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Wrr posted:

I usually dont make a bunch of top-level titles because every redundant title you have is another one a faction can press a claimant for.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: ignore this

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 23, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

super fart shooter posted:

This is definitely a problem, and I think it's true of liberty (crown authority) revolts as well. The onus should always be on the liege to uphold the obligations of the vassals, not the other way around. If a vassal declares independence or says "gently caress your laws", and the liege does not come kick their rear end into line, then it only makes sense that the vassal is the de facto victor.

It would also be good if the liege's collected taxes and levies weren't so stable. Another type of revolt that lowers obligations for all involved vassals might be good, and maybe there could also be a system where disgruntled or distant vassals just don't pay what they owe, and the liege has to choose whether to call them on it and risk war, or let it slide, which could hollow out his tax base in the long run

I like these ideas. I worry a couple might be a little un-fun in practice but maybe not and these are good ideas.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Excelzior posted:

People are complaining that empires are too solid and even when they devolve into turmoil, nothing really comes of it. I proposed a simple fix that would encourage maintaining positive relations, or placating, your vassals. What is wrong with that?

Destroying the title and preventing its creation maybe needs expanding on - prevents its creation by whom, the person who lost it? Or everyone?

Maybe instead of preventing creation there could just be a decaying -40 modifier to all vassals "not thrilled about being back in the dang empire" or something like that?

I personally don't like the outright prohibition of its creation across the board, and just generally think there might be better ways to do it. Plus without confederate partition you'd just not create the de jure kingdoms and such under it, or you'd destroy them to prevent this sort of thing from affecting anything. Ok sure you lose your Emperor of Brittania title but you're still King of England and everyone is still your vassal because there are no other kingdom titles. Would it then create those out in this based on de jure to avoid that, which could have its own suite of problems leading to further devolving because everyone has "short reign" maluses now for the newly created titles, and who would they go to?

I dunno, I guess it could work but I don't really like prohibiting its creation by fiat.

ssb fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 23, 2020

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

shortspecialbus posted:

Destroying the title and preventing its creation maybe needs expanding on - prevents its creation by whom, the person who lost it? Or everyone?

Maybe instead of preventing creation there could just be a decaying -40 modifier to all vassals "not thrilled about being back in the dang empire" or something like that?

I personally don't like the outright prohibition of its creation across the board, and just generally think there might be better ways to do it. Plus without confederate partition you'd just not create the de jure kingdoms and such under it, or you'd destroy them to prevent this sort of thing from affecting anything. Ok sure you lose your Emperor of Brittania title but you're still King of England and everyone is still your vassal because there are no other kingdom titles. Would it then create those out in this based on de jure to avoid that, which could have its own suite of problems leading to further devolving because everyone has "short reign" maluses now for the newly created titles, and who would they go to?

I dunno, I guess it could work but I don't really like prohibiting its creation by fiat.

yeah those are all good points and I definitely would need to flesh out the mechanic more than the simple one-liner

consider my suggestion cheerfully withdrawn until I can come up with something more cohesive

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Excelzior posted:

yeah those are all good points and I definitely would need to flesh out the mechanic more than the simple one-liner

consider my suggestion cheerfully withdrawn until I can come up with something more cohesive

It's not a bad idea with some reworking, but I think the reworking needed is maybe beyond me. Every time I wrote something there I'd think "maybe that would make it viable!" and then I'd realize no and the next sentence is "no wait what about this problem" and ugh.

This is why I'm not a game designer.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

super fart shooter posted:

Yeah this is a fundamental thing that's missing. This need to actually exert control over the realm is exactly what created itinerant monarchs, and does so much to dissolve the central authority of the Holy Roman Empire just as the 1066 start is getting going. Vassal factions should most likely be geographical as well; hence say, Great Saxon Revolt and not random vassals all over the place rising together.

It gets into a problem that I'm noticing a lot more in Europa Universalis as well, where the game gets very global very quickly, and you're dealing with the same actors every game. Especially in CK you'd expect things to have a far more local focus (and to be fair it does do better in that arena, though not to the same extent as I'd like).

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
Any cool new mods out? I enjoy the game but right now it gets very blobby very quickly and then I just have my inbred family of sister-cousin-aunt wives.

One fun thing is to have your head of religion title be primo and your primary title be ultimo so every generation you have to create a new religion. Just get weirder and weirder with odd heresies hanging out everywhere.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I really really like the idea of changing independence wars from offensive to defensive. I am sure they exist, but I cannot think of a war of independence where they had to seize the capital of the realm. Imagine if the US or Scotland were still part of England simply because they never really got around to sacking London. It's kind of an absurd requirement in the game and I completely agree that it's one of the biggest problems leading to blobbing.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
A mechanic that drags vassals into independence wars would be good too. If over 50% of de jure Saxony is in an independence war, the rest of the lords in Saxony will join unless they have certain traits (close relation to monarch, humble but not content, etc). Craven, ambitious, etc. characters get dragged along more easily (which can create a snowball effect). Their de jure capital acts like a capital and they just have to hold onto it in order for independence to go through.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

At some point you have to start considering say, count level rulers who oppose their ducal overlords by backing the duke's liege.

That's how the Staufers got going, catapulted themselves from minor counts in Swabia to the Imperial title within two generations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Incelshok Na posted:

Any cool new mods out? I enjoy the game but right now it gets very blobby very quickly and then I just have my inbred family of sister-cousin-aunt wives.

One fun thing is to have your head of religion title be primo and your primary title be ultimo so every generation you have to create a new religion. Just get weirder and weirder with odd heresies hanging out everywhere.

That bronze age mod for Imperator got ported over and it seems pretty cool, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I haven't been keeping up with the thread so sorry if this has been asked. I'm pretty much a CKII veteran so I've slipped into CKIII quite easily, but I have one question. You can negotiate changes to the terms of the feudal contract with your vassals, which is very cool. However, is there any way to award a landed title to a courtier on set terms? Say I own X border county, but I want to give it to someone specifically as marcher lands, is there any way to set those terms before granting it? This seems like something that would have historically been very common.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nope. Although the selection of Scutage/March/Palatinate is "free" in that it doesn't cost any potentially tyranny to change (though it will block you from making additional changes during the lifetime of that ruler).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Incelshok Na posted:

The Vampire Bloodlines one is...interesting I guess? Still seems very early alpha and most of the vanilla events are in there which seem out of place.

It is kinda nice for your ruler to be practically immortal, though.