Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Scorn has just taken Routine's place as the horror game that puts out a trailer every other year and will probably never actually come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was picked up by a proper publisher semi recently so it’ll see a release it’ll just be like The Beast Inside levels of whatever.

oldpainless posted:

How do you think the gun smells?

Like your dad’s leather toolbox that contains the grimy screwdrivers with the plastic handles wrapped in electrical tape. You know the smell, the cheap 90s action figure smell.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

al-azad posted:

It was picked up by a proper publisher semi recently so it’ll see a release it’ll just be like The Beast Inside levels of whatever

Also picked up for Xbox game pass and has been on promo material there. It seems pretty real right now.

I’m waiting to see how it goes. I backed it on Kickstarter anyway so I’ve already bought it, I’m hoping there’s different environments and more variety in the full game. I’m good with the meatyness as long as it’s not constant and oversaturated like stuff like Agony.

Oh well we’ll see.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So far the new Amnesia is pretty good, it has some good spooks, but my one real complaint is that Frictional games are best when you're going through somewhere people were living recently so you get to experience their stories as well as the protagonist's, and going through ancient ruins and spooky caves and an alien planet, while cool, doesn't have that same appeal. But I'm still fairly early in.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

SirSamVimes posted:

So far the new Amnesia is pretty good, it has some good spooks, but my one real complaint is that Frictional games are best when you're going through somewhere people were living recently so you get to experience their stories as well as the protagonist's, and going through ancient ruins and spooky caves and an alien planet, while cool, doesn't have that same appeal. But I'm still fairly early in.
I'm missing that myself so far, only a couple hours in but it's not grabbing me the way SOMA did. Putting you into Simon's world by having you spend the first 15-30 minutes in his average daily life before everything kicks off was handled so well, and then there was a lot of environmental storytelling on top of the strategically placed breadcrumbs of notes.

The flashbacks and scrapbooking aren't doing it for me in Rebirth, and deserts and caves aren't the most exciting environments to explore. I'm also just getting into the game at around 2 hours too though.

e: just got to the legion outpost, calling the ending now, everything that's happening is the Tin Hinan punishing the legionnaires for being too horny

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 22, 2020

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I just finished Rebirth (there won't be spoilers in this post.) Overall I enjoyed my time with it, but I don't think anything is ever going to recapture how I felt the first time I played The Dark Descent.

In retrospect, I think a considerable amount of the fear and tension I felt playing that was related to how little I knew in my subconscious about the mechanics of the monsters/Frictional's design style. Now that I have played a few of their games and a number of other "no fighting back, only hide" I find it really hard to try to shut out those things.

There were certainly a couple of times in Rebirth that I felt some real spikes of tension and there's definitely some horrifying stuff, but nothing that made me feel like the first time I went down into the dark cellar area or the choir in TDD. I'm not sure there's ever going to be another game that does that, though.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Finished Amnesia just a couple minutes ago (and saved in the right places to scoop up the three endings).

Overall I liked it quite a bit, although some of the early-game desert setpieces dragged on a bit. It was interesting slowly finding out about the otherworld and what happened there, and while I twigged to the motivations/identity of the spirit early on, the exact reason for what was happening was a nice reveal. I appreciated that Hank was surprisingly an advocate for Tasi making and sticking to her decision, good guy.

I found myself surprisingly attached to Amari and checked on her on multiple occasions.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

As with everyone else, just finished the new Amnesia and whilst I did enjoy it, I'm not sure that I was all that invested in the story by the end, and my experience with most of the monsters ended up being less a game of hide and seek and more a case of running.

Spoilers here include ending spoilers.

It was pretty jarring when you get caught by an enemy that what happens is you don't, in most cases, restart to the start of the whole monster encounter, but depending on your progress you would often get put to a safe place after the encounter, leading to me waking up in an unknown place a whole bunch of times. In the end, rather than sneaking and hiding, I 100% just sprinted everywhere past those floating enemies because if I got caught chances were that I would actually progress the game rather than get set back, so there was nothing dissuading me from playing recklessly. I had a similar experience in TDD when I realised that if you are caught the monster is spawned as far away as possible and gamed that system too. This is kind of a me problem though.

The lighting situation just kind of deteriorated so I played most of the game in the dark and ended up with a massive stockpile of lantern oil by the time you lose it, and was usually maxed out on matches. I figured the occasional pointless jumpscare was easier than lighting up areas I would never revisit.

As for the story, I found, at the start, there was way too many notes about a large cast of characters I had no knowledge of, and everyone kind of blended together. Yeah by the end I could differentiate folks like Leon, Salim, and Hank, but as for everyone else in the cast of characters, I didn't really care, or know anything about them. I don't feel I knew anything about Yasmine other than her name being mentioned by the doctor, and Alex and Richard's only feature appeared to be that they're both gay and leave you to die.

What did get me though was the loading screens showing the decline of Alys. I'm a parent of a 5 year old and that poo poo hits me hard. I loving hated the one where she couldn't say "one" when stacking the blocks. I guess when adding scary poo poo to the game they covered all bases. The monsters and jump scares didn't get me but this poo poo did.

Also it was a nice little detail that the loading indicator on loading screens changes based on Amari's development or if she's been born.

Also how many loving times am I gonna fall in this game?

Though there were a lot of penises in the game so 10/10.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Fallom posted:

Yeah it looks great but the enemies just kind of casually sauntered around while the player walked around a flesh maze. A little boring.

Yeah looks great visually, looks boring gameplay wise. I would buy the art book, watch a Let’s Play, maybe some lore videos, but never actually play.

1stGear posted:

Scorn has just taken Routine's place as the horror game that puts out a trailer every other year and will probably never actually come out.

That would be an improvement. Routine hasn’t put out a trailer in 4 years. But speaking of sci-fi horror, how are Moons of Madness, Deliver Us the Moon, and Observer (the last two I think are more thrillers than horror.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moons of Madness is hilariously awful with a dumb ending, get for cheap if you like a laugh but that's it.

Observer has some interesting bits, not a classic but I enjoyed it well enough. It has a supposedly improved version with extra stuff coming out eventually if you want to wait though.

(I actually just confused Observer with Observation but the statement still stands.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh my god, the depth of field in the new Amnesia is hilariously terrible. You can literally watch the blurriness crawl in from the edges of the screen and everything looks like you forgot your glasses at home or something.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh my god, the depth of field in the new Amnesia is hilariously terrible. You can literally watch the blurriness crawl in from the edges of the screen and everything looks like you forgot your glasses at home or something.

It's really weird - I noticed it when approaching the first pile of that weird rock stuff, I thought it was an effect from the rock itself (or maybe that's separate from what you're referring to).

Anyway, I've seen Siren talked about in this thread, but I never know which of the games is being talked about. It looks like a ps4 version of the original is available on the PSN store for half off ($5 CAD), is the game decent? My friends and I play through horror games every week while chatting, was wondering if it'd be worth playing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morpheus posted:

It's really weird - I noticed it when approaching the first pile of that weird rock stuff, I thought it was an effect from the rock itself (or maybe that's separate from what you're referring to).

Anyway, I've seen Siren talked about in this thread, but I never know which of the games is being talked about. It looks like a ps4 version of the original is available on the PSN store for half off ($5 CAD), is the game decent? My friends and I play through horror games every week while chatting, was wondering if it'd be worth playing.

the first siren is unnerving but has a very weird and bad english voice cast, and is also one of the bitterly miserably unfun video games i have ever played. siren og hates you for playing it, hates you for living, and will make you regret both for every moment of the experience

i never touched the remake but heard that it's more user-friendly while also abandoning most of what made the first game scary/memorable

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The original is the fascinating, weird, extremely frustrating game that will kick you in the balls over and over again with noscope super zombie snipers.

Among other things, but where many games would use a locked door, Forbidden Siren uses a locked door and an rear end in a top hat with a sniper rifle.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Oxxidation posted:

the first siren is unnerving but has a very weird and bad english voice cast
The voice cast has a variety of hilarious British accents, but it is by no means badly acted.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Siren Blood Curse made some weird creative choices (like adding horrible American characters) but overall it is vastly preferable to the original IMO, and it's not particularly close. Of course it's not available on modern systems, so.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the first siren is unnerving but has a very weird and bad english voice cast, and is also one of the bitterly miserably unfun video games i have ever played. siren og hates you for playing it, hates you for living, and will make you regret both for every moment of the experience

i never touched the remake but heard that it's more user-friendly while also abandoning most of what made the first game scary/memorable

This is all true. Which is why, like Deadly Premonition, it's best experienced through Supergreatfriend's Let's Play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dnr4_4Ykyg

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Siren Blood Curse made some weird creative choices (like adding horrible American characters) but overall it is vastly preferable to the original IMO, and it's not particularly close. Of course it's not available on modern systems, so.

That was the best creative choice because every character speaks their respective language so the American characters clumsily switch from English to elementary school Japanese while the Japanese characters do the same thing but their English is like a 90s kung-fu dub.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cardiovorax posted:

Luckily I don’t wear glasses so this shouldn’t affect me

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Isn't this what TDD was like though? I seem to remember it did that if you looked at a monster, were low on sanity, or if there was some flashback / story narration thing going on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tried out Desolate with a friend since I saw it in that horror humble bundle. Really weird game, has some nice atmosphere but the actual gameplay itself is too actiony to be really be horror-y to me. Also it has some of the lamest jumpscares I've ever seen and have no idea why they're even there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lifeglug posted:

Isn't this what TDD was like though? I seem to remember it did that if you looked at a monster, were low on sanity, or if there was some flashback / story narration thing going on.
No, I was talking in general. Like, in that first intro sequence, when you step out of the plane? The desert was a complete blur to me and I could see it creep in on a nearby rock literally frame by frame. The moment I turned it off, things were fine, but the game absolutely unplayable before that. I have no idea what the issue is, but it looks hideous.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

No, I was talking in general. Like, in that first intro sequence, when you step out of the plane? The desert was a complete blur to me and I could see it creep in on a nearby rock literally frame by frame. The moment I turned it off, things were fine, but the game absolutely unplayable before that. I have no idea what the issue is, but it looks hideous.

Ah right, I thought you meant whenever you got a monster or something. Yeah it can be a bit overbearing, but I got used to it / stopped caring about it pretty quickly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hakkesshu posted:

The first game might have issues but Blood Curse has no redeeming qualities at all, it doesnt even play that well 12 years later and looks hideously ugly. Also replacing a Japanese cast with Americans in some weird bid to make it more appealing is kinda hosed up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It also ruins one of the most interesting things about Forbidden Siren 1, which is the way its insane story ties into a real-world cultural myth and legend.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Blood Curse felt like it was Japanese developers trying to adapt what they think Americanized horror remakes of J-horror are like. Which leads to it being oddly schizophrenic where it doesn't really work as either American horror or Japanese horror.

It also removes the link navigator so everything plays out linearly when part of the fun of the first two games is seeing how everyone's story interconnects as the narrative jumps through different times and they changed the sightjack mechanic to something that's both more intrusive and framerate destroying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, while I dislike everything else the single worst mark against Blood Curse was removing the nonlinear storytelling so it can be split up into chunks because who could possibly download 9GB in one go???

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't watch much J-horror, is there a distinct feel or convention to it that can be explained?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In the same sense that there's a difference between manga and American comics, I guess? It's just a distinct take on a shared genre, but through the cultural preconceptions and aesthetic sensibilities of an entirely different culture with its own history and body of spooky fiction. The way you get a lot of "haunted house on the hill" stories in Western horror, you get a lot of Kaidan (classical Japanese ghost stories) inspired plots in Japanese horror.

One of the most prevalent ideas is that of the "death grudge," which is basically about the idea that unjust, early or violent deaths cause malevolence to gather in the ghost of a deceased person, even if no one is really particularly to blame for what happened to them. They then go aggresively after every living person they can reach. Another is that of ritual impurity, which isn't intrinsically evil so much as simply a type of spiritual "waste" than can attract evil monsters and spirits and poison an entire area if bad things happened there and the miasma is properly cleared up. Japanese horror tends to often be about cultural concepts like that and its consequences for the people who come into contact with it.

It's hard to really say that it's about any one specific thing, it's just a type of flavour of its own.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It also tends to go more for psychological horror but I dont know if that's just because its easier to do on a tiny budget lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, Japanese horror of the past 30-40 years or so was often more or less a tiny-budget cottage industry rather than the kind of major production you'd get out of Hollywood horror, so the more flashy type of special effects stuff isn't something that most of the movies you're likely to find translated on the Western market these days could really afford at the time. Spooky psychic and psychological phenomena, lethal curses, etc., that's the kind of thing they do a lot. I imagine that will change, if it hasn't already. I don't keep up with movies very much.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 23, 2020

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

It's hard to keep tabs on these days because South Korean horror kind of replaced it in terms of western attention/accessibility. One Cut of the Dead is the only Japanese horror/horror-adjacent movie I can think of to get attention over here in the past couple of years.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Asian cinema (particularly Korea) has been embracing zombie horror because it is also really cheap but instead of it being a survivalist/individualist take like Western zombies it explores themes of isolation and characters who feel disconnected from society.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Although it's worth remembering that Asian cinema is just as pluralistic about how it goes about doing so as Western cinema was when zombie movies were still the big thing. French horror, German horror, English horror, Italian horror, American horror, they all had their own takes on it with different themes and concepts that they emphasized.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's not a product of Japan, but World of Horror is basically the boardgame Arkham Horror implemented as a roguelike, set in Japan in the mid 80's and heavily influenced by Japanese folklore and horror manga creators like Junji Ito (whose visual style is the most direct influence on the game's art style) and Kazuo Umezu. Aka Manto and the Scissor Lady are both in it. It's in Early Access but I feel that what I got when I bought it a couple of updates ago was worth the $15 and it's only been expanded and improved since. There's a Halloween update due, well, Halloween that's going to add more stuff and improve modding capabilities- the game is built to be modular and there's already a bunch of custom content for it.

Also, Dread X Collection 3 is out, with $1 off the $10 sticker price for launch. Dread X Collection 2 is $7 and the first Dread X Collection is $5.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 23, 2020

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I bought Observer back when it came out because I thought it was a blade runner kinda story and I fell off the game like 5 minutes in. Have tried it multiple times since and hated it immediately.

Today, I pushed through the initial hump and why didn't anyone tell me this is a freaky game? What's the general goon thoughts on it?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
All the Dread X collections are good. This is on the newest one and it's really good, if nothing else than for atmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5My8s10KQNE

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

tensai posted:

I bought Observer back when it came out because I thought it was a blade runner kinda story and I fell off the game like 5 minutes in. Have tried it multiple times since and hated it immediately.

Today, I pushed through the initial hump and why didn't anyone tell me this is a freaky game? What's the general goon thoughts on it?

I remember liking it to an extent, but there's some really really terrible stealth sections in the game that took me right out but not enough for me from finishing it. There's a remake coming out for it in 2 weeks with better visuals and some added content as well if you get really into it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I played an hour of Rebirth, then refunded it. It didn't seem terrible, but it seemed like 20% interesting ideas and 80% blindly wandering around in dark areas. I figure I can watch some youtuber if I want to finish the story, I don't really enjoy that kind of bumbling around myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Was Moons of Madness actually bad? The trailer looked sweet and it’s got a “mostly positive” rating on Steam.