Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Elite Force multiplayer was legit a lot of fun. It's a Quake 3 engine game so it has a good general feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I remember trying to play Falcon with my dad when I was, I dunno, six? We could never, ever get the landing to work. Good god that made my dad so frustrated. I wonder if that was just us not getting something fundamental or if it was a really poorly designed game.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

OneEightHundred posted:

It's kind of a typical post-Half-Life FPS, but pulled it off well.

The best Star Trek game is still Rescue, before it got sued to stop being a Star Trek game.

I liked Rescue a whole lot and I don't even like Star Trek.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
If you like TNG-DS9-Voyager-era Star Trek and want to run around doing Trekky things, Elite Force is a fun game. It successfully adopted the Jedi Knight/Jedi Outcast formula, I feel.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Star Trek TNG for Genesis was somewhat incomprehensible to me at the time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I got Shingen the Ruler for NES from a garage sale at some point and not only did I not have any idea what the gently caress was going on at any given time, but there were a bunch of presumably useful charts printed on the cartridge sticker itself - you know, the cartridge sticker that would be obscured because 99% of NESes that it would run on completely enclosed the cartridge like a VCR.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

food court bailiff posted:

I got Shingen the Ruler for NES from a garage sale at some point and not only did I not have any idea what the gently caress was going on at any given time, but there were a bunch of presumably useful charts printed on the cartridge sticker itself - you know, the cartridge sticker that would be obscured because 99% of NESes that it would run on completely enclosed the cartridge like a VCR.

Amazing. I get the thinking behind it, being a strategy game that might be indecipherable without the instruction booklet, but in execution...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think the Famicom was a top-loader where the cartridge stuck out, maybe the people designing the label weren't familiar with american NES systems?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zereth posted:

I think the Famicom was a top-loader where the cartridge stuck out, maybe the people designing the label weren't familiar with american NES systems?

My first thought was that it was banking on the top-loading New Design NES being far more popular than it ended up being, but Shingen the Ruler came out a full three years before the top-loader so I don’t know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JethroMcB posted:

Amazing. I get the thinking behind it, being a strategy game that might be indecipherable without the instruction booklet, but in execution...

this is a man's game

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

My first thought was that it was banking on the top-loading New Design NES being far more popular than it ended up being, but Shingen the Ruler came out a full three years before the top-loader so I don’t know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

I think if you lose the instruction booklet (which I would hope has this info also?) having it on the cart is a good way of guaranteeing at least some level of access to this. I think if you play the game enough you'll learn most of those by heart? And you can copy it with pen and paper. There's not really a better way to give this info to someone who has the cart and nothing else.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

wa27 posted:

I rented Blast Corps once and that game has one built-in save slot. To erase it and start over, you have to hold the start button on console power-up, but there was no way to know this without the manual. So when I played it, all the levels were beat already.

For those who don't know, the goal in each Blast Corps level is to blow up buildings that are blocking the path of a (slow) runaway vehicle. Once you do that, you are free to re-enter any level and clean up any remaining buildings and find the collectables. So the game I got to play was just a bunch of levels missing 90% of their buildings with no goals, objectives, or instruction ever presented.

I imagine this was a pretty common experience for people renting it. They should have just made a save slot option on the main menu.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I rented FF6 a lot but was never able to get much farther than the opera house or so. I'm not even sure why because the game is piss easy; I must not have understood some aspect of the mechanics but for the life of me I can't understand why. Like was I not upgrading my equipment or buying consumables or something? It's not even like you have to grind or anything. The mind boggles.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 24, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Pulsarcat posted:

When I was about seven I tried out a game on my dads computer a few times called "Shogun" based on a book by the same name.
I think the purpose of this game was to get a certain amount of followers until you eventually became shogun, maybe.

But for me, the point of the game was to slowly, um, fly? around the the various screens until I eventually touched the combat button and died.

Seriously, check this nonsense out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2bbr9jh2qI

My dad bought a "computer" in 95. It was a tandy 6000. I played Shogun on it a lot but even 11 year old me knew that this wasn't the kind of computer that was even close to modern.

Lmao I just looked and the tandy 6000 came out in 85. What the gently caress dad?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

PneumonicBook posted:

My dad bought a "computer" in 95. It was a tandy 6000. I played Shogun on it a lot but even 11 year old me knew that this wasn't the kind of computer that was even close to modern.

Lmao I just looked and the tandy 6000 came out in 85. What the gently caress dad?

I googled that Tandy as it seemed unfamiliar. It's a TRS80 w/ 8mhz 68000 CPU, that's amazingly ancient for 1995. Either Radio Shack had it on clearance for $100 or it was from a garage sale.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I rented FF6 a lot but was never able to get much farther than the opera house or so. I'm not even sure why because the game is piss easy; I must not have understood some aspect of the mechanics but for the life of me I can't understand why. Like was I not upgrading my equipment or buying consumables or something? It's not even like you have to grind or anything. The mind boggles.

I got stuck at the Opera House as a kid too. iirc it was the part where you get the bouquet, I couldn't figure out where Celes was supposed to go to throw them, I never noticed the door and the stairs up to the top of the castle or something like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont think id really understood world of warcraft until id reached some ways into level 60. like i went in without any knowledge of d&d or western rpg's in general, i just took gear that looked cool and had higher numbers (like a high spirit on a mail gear for my paladin), i dunno what any of that stuff really did or what made anything "optimal", at level 60 i tried to tank as a paladin (sometimes this actually worked although it was weird and required some cooperation), i also collected gear that wasnt really meant for me if nobody else was there to take it, just because i thought it would look cool on my guy

looking back this was probably the correct way to play

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

falz posted:

I googled that Tandy as it seemed unfamiliar. It's a TRS80 w/ 8mhz 68000 CPU, that's amazingly ancient for 1995. Either Radio Shack had it on clearance for $100 or it was from a garage sale.

I think he got it from my uncle, and yea I was like wtf is this because at the same time I was playing diablo and warcraft on my uncle's pc.

My Dad went completely the opposite direction and bought a Pentium 2 pretty close to release though.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
For me this was Doom. Until my father brought this home my experience with video games were either rentals on the NES or Apogee arcade games on the PC (or ZZT).

But then he brought home Doom and I remember watching him play while trying to parse what exactly was happening. To eight-year-old me the background of the game was moving and I couldn't figure out what the characters were doing. I was mentally translating the 3D game into a 2D one without much success. It took a transitionary period with Wolfenstein 3D before I understood I was moving in a (somewhat) three-dimensional world. Then my mom discovered both games and I was forced to delete them. My father, hilariously, was made to apologize to his family for bringing such violence into the home. Even my sister, whose only video gaming up to then and for the next ten years would be level 57 in Bubble Bobble.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

seiferguy posted:

A family friend gave us Romance of the Three Kingdoms for NES and, well, that's just not a good game for a 5 year old who can't read to play!

I just found this thread, and was going to mention this game. Except I watched a friend's older brother play it. No clue what was going on, and the dude playing had no patience for my questions.

My first real experience with buyer's remorse, and with not knowing wtf was going on, or what I was supposed to do was also the first game I ever bought with my own money: 1990's Total Recall. I wasn't old enough to watch the movie, but I was old enough to learn movie tie-ins were rubbish.

sad question
May 30, 2020

I was very confused by Dragon Slayer on Gameboy and never figured out what you were supposed to do. After watching some gameplay on Youtube it appears that it was, in fact, mostly nonsensical. Good music track, though.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Avalon on the ZX Spectrum. Had no idea what was happening but it scared the poo poo out of me as seven year old kid!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spider-Man for DOS (I think the first one, against mysterio) decided that necessary to progress stuff should be hidden behind illusory walls so to progress you kind of force spiderman to rub against every surface in existence in the hopes you'll find the right place.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Barudak posted:

Spider-Man for DOS (I think the first one, against mysterio) decided that necessary to progress stuff should be hidden behind illusory walls so to progress you kind of force spiderman to rub against every surface in existence in the hopes you'll find the right place.

i had no idea there was a game based on my spider-man fanfics but I am intrigued and aroused

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

leisure suit larry 1 (I think an atari ST port? I did most of my sierra adventure gaming on one of those)

I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade or something and brute-forced the age checker quiz to get in and wound up in what I can only describe as "having a stroke, except it's a video game", I didn't have any idea what the objectives meant and I also didn't know how the items fit together to solve the equally-incomprehensible puzzles. I checked it out later in life and it turns out it's just not a good game

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I had Jet Fighter: The Adventure as a kid and instead of playing it the right way because I had no idea what the controls were I just flew around shooting buildings with my missiles and trying to sink the tutorial aircraft carrier. When my parents sold the house decades later I was going through stuff and found the control sheet as well as a keyboard overlay I'm pretty sure.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The Last Ninja 2 for Commodore 64. I was very young and probably didn't think of running from enemies and just died very quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvQQ49XWYDk

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

blatman posted:

leisure suit larry 1 (I think an atari ST port? I did most of my sierra adventure gaming on one of those)

I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade or something and brute-forced the age checker quiz to get in and wound up in what I can only describe as "having a stroke, except it's a video game", I didn't have any idea what the objectives meant and I also didn't know how the items fit together to solve the equally-incomprehensible puzzles. I checked it out later in life and it turns out it's just not a good game

Oh man! Trial and Error your way through questions about Reagan and Nixon, finally getting into game, only to find you have no idea what the gently caress you're supposed to type in and finding your feeble imagination is not strong enough to image sick sweet boobies from crappy rear end sprites.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

GorfZaplen posted:

I had Jet Fighter: The Adventure as a kid and instead of playing it the right way because I had no idea what the controls were I just flew around shooting buildings with my missiles and trying to sink the tutorial aircraft carrier. When my parents sold the house decades later I was going through stuff and found the control sheet as well as a keyboard overlay I'm pretty sure.

Hahaha I had a similar experience with Aces of the Pacific. When on an aircraft carrier in a bomber pressing the wrong button meant releasing your payload on the carrier deck, ending your career/life and sinking the ship.

Not a bad game but a mix of cluelessness and endless free time meant when I was on a mission with invincibility/unlimited ammo turned on I was able to successfully "shoot down" an attacking fighter by circling endlessly dropping bombs until he flew under me and got hit. It took a while.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Speaking of c64, we used to play Zoids and listen to the amazing music as kids, but we had absolutely no idea what was going on or what you were supposed to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVWP4KJqP4g

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tac Dibar posted:

Speaking of c64, we used to play Zoids and listen to the amazing music as kids, but we had absolutely no idea what was going on or what you were supposed to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVWP4KJqP4g
:wtc: Yeah that's incomprehensible. Bitchin music tho.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For me it was ET on Atari, so way back before I even understood that games could even be bad.
I had zero clue wtf was going on, like I'm in a pit, the button makes ET's next stretch, I can pick up a phone icon - No idea why

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

JethroMcB posted:

Why am I not surprised that the makers of Hoshi wo Miru Hito did this?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

peter gabriel posted:

For me it was ET on Atari, so way back before I even understood that games could even be bad.
I had zero clue wtf was going on, like I'm in a pit, the button makes ET's next stretch, I can pick up a phone icon - No idea why

ET was one of the first games that actually required an instruction manual to play. If you did, though, it was about halfway to where games wanted to be four years later, with nobody really clear on what you'd do with a game like that.

There's a technical but also well-explained ROMhack that tries to fix the game to modern standards for Atari games. It's a good read even if you aren't a hacker yourself.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I just thought of one I had forgotten about : Godzilla: Monster of Monsters for the NES. I rented it once or twice as a kid and had zero idea what I was supposed to do. You moved either Godzilla or Mothra on a board and sometimes played side-scrolling levels where you had to destroy little satellite dishes. I'm not sure many other people played this game other than me.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I just thought of one I had forgotten about : Godzilla: Monster of Monsters for the NES. I rented it once or twice as a kid and had zero idea what I was supposed to do. You moved either Godzilla or Mothra on a board and sometimes played side-scrolling levels where you had to destroy little satellite dishes. I'm not sure many other people played this game other than me.

I played the hell out of it, and I loved it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I bought a copy last week and still haven't played it. I had played it before but I remember it being kind of clunky. Weirdly enough, I'm also working my way through the Heisei period Godzilla movies right now, though that game was very firmly based on the Showa series for obvious reasons. IIRC, the game was released before Vs. Biollante...

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh, nice. I thought it was a fairly obscure game. I'll need to give it another try as an adult; with a manual, it might make more sense.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I rented the snes Godzilla game which is like a really crappy fighting game set in a tiny city where you rip orbs out of your opponant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There was a creepypasta involving this game a few years back. That was the first I had heard of it

https://creepypasta.fandom.com/wiki/NES_Godzilla_Creepypasta