Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

So strengthening lending standards is now punishing first time buyers. I wonder if we can do the mental gymnastics to craft a narrative that high strata insurance renewals are prison raping hard working equity builders of the middle class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

half cocaine posted:

So strengthening lending standards is now punishing first time buyers. I wonder if we can do the mental gymnastics to craft a narrative that high strata insurance renewals are prison raping hard working equity builders of the middle class?

When the lending standards are basically "hahaha, everyone who has a place gets to borrow money at 1.5%, but you don't get to borrow it at all because you can't afford paying more than triple that rate!", I'm not sure the sentiment is so wrong.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Sassafras posted:

When the lending standards are basically "hahaha, everyone who has a place gets to borrow money at 1.5%, but you don't get to borrow it at all because you can't afford paying more than triple that rate!", I'm not sure the sentiment is so wrong.

I think I found the guy who's saying age restrictions for vapes are tyranny.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

half cocaine posted:

The solution to hoarding in the absence of seizing wealth is lowering the barrier to entry, not strengthening it. It's significantly easier to build powerless people up than to tear established power down. Adding those sort of controls punishes first time home buyers more than people on their 14th property, which is the key point.

I don't think anyone is saying that stress tests are bad, just that being too strict with them encourages accumulation of wealth at the top of the chain

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
So open question then: How do we make it harder for people to acquire their 14th property while carrying ridiculous amounts of leveraged debt without punishing single property buyers?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Cold on a Cob posted:

So open question then: How do we make it harder for people to acquire their 14th property while carrying ridiculous amounts of leveraged debt without punishing single property buyers?

Keep the stress test the same for single property buyers. Add a multiplicative effect based on n# of properties over 2 to make sure their not overleveraging themselves - sayyyy if a pandemic hits and all their tenants can't pay their rent.

Oh maybe make a first time home buyers program that doesn't cap out at 66% the value of a bachelor condo in the 'sauga.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 23, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Ok but don’t these landlords use alternative lenders that don’t apply the stress test anyway? That was what I assumed in the first place when I suggested making it harder to evade. If I’m wrong about that and these guys are borrowing from the big banks then I would be surprised.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Ok but don’t these landlords use alternative lenders that don’t apply the stress test anyway? That was what I assumed in the first place when I suggested making it harder to evade. If I’m wrong about that and these guys are borrowing from the big banks then I would be surprised.

gently caress I don't know maybe make alternative lenders follow the same rules? It's not the wild west...

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

ChickenWing posted:

The solution to hoarding in the absence of seizing wealth is lowering the barrier to entry, not strengthening it. It's significantly easier to build powerless people up than to tear established power down. Adding those sort of controls punishes first time home buyers more than people on their 14th property, which is the key point.

I don't think anyone is saying that stress tests are bad, just that being too strict with them encourages accumulation of wealth at the top of the chain

Am I living in animal farm or something? Being allowed to borrow more money than I can afford is now considered empowerment.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You could stop funding subsidies to real estate developers and banks and instead just transfer the funds directly to poor people or to programs that unambiguously benefit mostly the poor, like subsidized childcare or increased funding for primary education or means tested post secondary scholarships.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Slotducks posted:

gently caress I don't know maybe make alternative lenders follow the same rules? It's not the wild west...

It would be interesting to see what limits you could actually put on "entity A loans something to entity B". We have usury laws that put a cap on interest rates, but that's easier than trying to capture too low an interest rate or too large a principal amount.

The rule isn't "you must be able to pass this stress test to get a mortgage". The rule is "if the bank wants CMHC to insure the mortgage, they need to make sure the borrower passes the stress test". RBC is free to lend to a buyer who doesn't pass the stress test, if RBC can live without the insurance being provided by CMHC.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

half cocaine posted:

Am I living in animal farm or something? Being allowed to borrow more money than I can afford is now considered empowerment.

please quote exactly the point where I said that I wanted to allow people to overleverage themselves

empowering people isn't necessarily just letting them borrow more money

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

I now see how this thread and canpol are organized. All the free market neoliberal tesla tories post here.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

sorry I didn't swing at your strawman :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The point of the stress test is not to protect borrowers from financial ruin due to them taking on onerous mortgage payments. If that were the main effect it never would have happened--the gov't doesn't care about that.

The point of the stress test is to protect the lenders from the effects of a large number of coincident defaults due to rising variable rates rendering the borrowers unable to pay. Dealing with a crash like that would be bad for banks, who the government do care about, and for ~~property values~~ accrued by people who got into the property game a while back.

The government cares about me, because I have owned a home for a number of years and have a lot of Precious Equity in it that I am now supposed to borrow against to finance my lifestyle or parents' retirement or something, and because I own shares in Canadian banks. They do not care about Cold on the Cob, except to the extent that he holds RBC, because he is not an established homeowner and therefore doesn't have anything worthy of their protection. His ability to become a homeowner is only of concern to the extent that it represents liquidity for me and other landed fuckers.

(as a driveby, means testing education is stupid)

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Incidentally, re: Toronto Life guy, I'm not sure where twitter discussion is sourcing this, but claims are that he put up absolutely $0 on more than half of the properties he claims to own and possibly got given tiny equity stakes for "advice" from other people who actually do have money in his little real estate investment "discussion" group, which this piece effectively advertises.

I'm reminded of one guy in my hometown who acted as frontman for a whole bunch of enterprises around town, claiming to own them etc, even managed to get elected to city council and such, but it eventually came out that he'd never had any equity whatsoever in the businesses anyway (when he got unceremoniously tossed aside after a falling out with the person providing all the bucks).

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

The point of the stress test is not to protect borrowers from financial ruin due to them taking on onerous mortgage payments. If that were the main effect it never would have happened--the gov't doesn't care about that.

The point of the stress test is to protect the lenders from the effects of a large number of coincident defaults due to rising variable rates rendering the borrowers unable to pay. Dealing with a crash like that would be bad for banks, who the government do care about, and for ~~property values~~ accrued by people who got into the property game a while back.

The government cares about me, because I have owned a home for a number of years and have a lot of Precious Equity in it that I am now supposed to borrow against to finance my lifestyle or parents' retirement or something, and because I own shares in Canadian banks. They do not care about Cold on the Cob, except to the extent that he holds RBC, because he is not an established homeowner and therefore doesn't have anything worthy of their protection. His ability to become a homeowner is only of concern to the extent that it represents liquidity for me and other landed fuckers.

(as a driveby, means testing education is stupid)

https://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/media-newsroom/news-releases/2019/cmhc-statement-letter-standing-committee-finance-fina

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

which part interests you most?

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Ask me about sucking Batman's dick

Cold on a Cob posted:

That's simple, you pass a max limit to the number of residential properties a single person can own.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flater posted:

That's simple, you pass a max limit to the number of residential properties a single person can own.

Virtually all of those properties will be owned by different corporations, probably with slightly different beneficial owners or trusts in order to spread tax burden across the family or partnership.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Virtually all of those properties will be owned by different corporations, probably with slightly different beneficial owners or trusts in order to spread tax burden across the family or partnership.

Sounds like a few laws need to change, then

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flater posted:

Sounds like a few laws need to change, then

More than a few, friend.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

3849 W 14th Ave Holdings Incorporated

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I wonder if you could straight ban companies from owning residential housing.

Flater
Oct 20, 2006

Claes Oldenburger posted:

B-but that could inconvenience rich people

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Claes Oldenburger posted:

It fairly implicitly also means no company would loan you money to buy one (and also that purpose built rental doesn't exist).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sassafras posted:

It fairly implicitly also means no company would loan you money to buy one.

Yeah, if the bank can’t foreclose it loses a lot of value as collateral.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Incrementalism isn’t going to cure the sickness that plagues our approach to housing. The system is very resilient against that, and has many mutually-supporting barriers to meaningful reform. Even wealth taxes are hard to make work against determined adversaries, and the adversaries would be quite determined indeed.

Nationalize all rental housing at a swing and you might get somewhere.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Literally the only people I know my age who were able to buy houses it was because of either money from their parents or an inheritance.

I am really trying hard coming from a dirt poor family not to be bitter but it's hard!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Calgary house prices never dropped, they stopped climbing exponentially but still expensive af

There were like 3 major layoff rounds announced this week at major employers (Suncor, Imperial, husky) but at this point the economy is so detached from reality that nobody is even talking about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You have to be very lucky in some form to buy a house at any point in your life, let alone in your early 30s or whatever. It’s just that, luck, but it becomes this just-world identity element for whole generations of voting bloc and then welp, pretty hosed until they die.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

half cocaine posted:

I now see how this thread and canpol are organized. All the free market neoliberal tesla tories post here.

lol nope

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Maybe they're over in the Canadian investing thread?

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

If it makes you feel any better, anecdotally, the institution I work for has changed its rental property qualifications. We no longer do a rental offset and now just add the rental income to the persons earnings. So the calculation is less favorable.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008

Sassafras posted:

Incidentally, re: Toronto Life guy, I'm not sure where twitter discussion is sourcing this, but claims are that he put up absolutely $0 on more than half of the properties he claims to own and possibly got given tiny equity stakes for "advice" from other people who actually do have money in his little real estate investment "discussion" group, which this piece effectively advertises.

I'm reminded of one guy in my hometown who acted as frontman for a whole bunch of enterprises around town, claiming to own them etc, even managed to get elected to city council and such, but it eventually came out that he'd never had any equity whatsoever in the businesses anyway (when he got unceremoniously tossed aside after a falling out with the person providing all the bucks).

I'm actually surprised that the article itself wasn't linked because this is very much in the spirit of the thread.

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/young-investor-success/

https://twitter.com/ronmortgageguy/status/1319615064568102912

It has everything from "I was inspired by Rich Dad, Poor Dad" to borrowing from his girlfriend and parents for renos.

crispyseaweed fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 24, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sassafras posted:

The funniest thing is that this is literally the Donald Trump business model.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

crispyseaweed posted:

I'm actually surprised that the article itself wasn't linked because this is very much in the spirit of the thread.

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/young-investor-success/

https://twitter.com/ronmortgageguy/status/1319615064568102912

It has everything from "I was inspired by Rich Dad, Poor Dad" to borrowing from his girlfriend and parents for renos.

I guess he spent all his money on rental property so he can't afford socks or shoes.

I hate people whose goal in life is 'to be rich'. What a worthless waste of an existence.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

So in Victoria:
-There was massive pent up demand during early covid, when houses started to be shown again in the summer houses that normally would get 3-4 viewings were getting 30-40 but this was seen as a temporary thing and once the pent up spring demand was dealt with things would go back to normal.
-A major major sense of FOMO pushed tons of people (including my self a little) to think 100k over asking bidding wars between 20 people was the new normal and it would only get worse, buy now or be priced out forever.
-The sort of people that had savings and a stable job throughout covid were also the sort of people who could generally work from home and now wanted more space, this was a major push for many people who were waiting for the crash to just say gently caress it and jump into the market.
-Because the housing market isn't remotely rational, numbers just keep going up due to incredibly low interest rates and the intense FOMO narrative. Victoria will be a covid refuge, Victoria will be a climate change refuge, Victoria will be a 2nd term of Trump Refuge, Canadians fleeing China and HK will buy here and there will never be a crash.

In my own case the only reason we could remotely afford anything is some inheritance coming in. I thought "well, dead grandparents isn't exactly something everyone can suddenly count on" but I actually wonder if the disproportionate amount of nursing home deaths during the first wave of covid actually ended up tipping a small but measurable number of people into a position where they could buy?

I thought I was an absolute idiot to buy in the summer, prices were just starting to shoot up and I got a little FOMO so jumped on the first thing I could afford and got it under asking. If I had bought now instead prices are up about 15% at least. Nothing makes any sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NVOawOXxSA

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

Make being an amateur landlord unappealing. Make it a lousy investment and people will stick with a single house and maybe a recreational property somewhere.

Ways to do this:
* Make capital gains tax on secondary properties taxed at 100% the tax rate instead of 50%.
* Foreign buyer + speculation taxes that make it so that having a pied a terre unappealing (NDP already did this, and we're already seeing an impact in terms of a developer pivot to purpose built rental instead of luxury condos)
* Government constantly builds publicly owned market and subsidized purpose built rental regardless of market conditions until some goal vacancy rate is met. A high vacancy rate will make being a landlord unappealing, further depressing condo prices as amateur landlords abandon the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

* raise interest rates