Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.

ManMythLegend posted:

How long ago did you submit it?

Honestly, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. I've yet to see a COVID transfer waiver denied since July, and I believe they're more of a formality than anything else.

I would say that your most likely source of delay would actually be any schools you have in route to your next job as a lot of training pipelines are still trying to recover from the spring lockdowns. If there's still a backlog at an I-Stop you may not be going anywhere for a while without intervention from your gaining command to waive it from your orders.

Submitted my waiver on 11Sep to my command. Wouldve earlier, but was told that our ISIC was super backlogged and to wait. Set to transfer from a ship to shore command, I do have a school en route that classes up on 03Jan, but it's Instructor School at the same base. Our BBD is all kinds of hosed up, and we're gapped a few billets(none of which I have, mind you). I suppose nothing is certain, but it makes planning a huge pain in the rear end. Last I heard, my waiver was at CNSP, but people do say theyve been getting theirs back very close to when they leave. I guess we'll see what happens.

Barnacle Snatcher fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Barnacle Snatcher posted:

Submitted my waiver on 11Sep to my command. Wouldve earlier, but was told that our ISIC was super backlogged and to wait. Set to transfer from a ship to shore command, I do have a school en route that classes up on 03Jan, but it's Instructor School at the same base. Our BBD is all kinds of hosed up, and we're gapped a few billets(none of which I have, mind you). I suppose nothing is certain, but it makes planning a huge pain in the rear end. Last I heard, my waiver was at CNSP, but people do say theyve been getting theirs back very close to when they leave. I guess we'll see what happens.

Hopefully the new navadmin that dropped will help push that forward, if it's sitting waiting for the first flag in the chain, possibly talk with your chain to pass it to the first O-6 in the chain to get it signed and approved. 277/20 https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2020/NAV20277.txt which may help push it faster. Once submitted to Millington it usually gets turned around in 2-3 days.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/CNATRA/status/1319814264828276737?s=20

:(

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!

My squadron that I just left in January. Absolutely heart breaking.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If we assume the worst here, some poor guy on duty lost his whole family in a fire.

quote:

A statement from Capt. Matt Baer, Commander of Sector North Carolina, "This morning, a fire took place at a commercial residential complex in Buxton, North Carolina where several active duty Coast Guard members live.
With great sadness, I have confirmed that the family of one of our active duty members is currently unaccounted for. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers while we investigate this incident with local authorities.

The Coast Guard is a small organization. This tragic incident impacts not only this family, crew and station, but various members, families and units throughout the Coast Guard.

In addition to the individuals currently unaccounted for, three other Coast Guard members and their families were displaced by the fire. They are currently in a safe shelter location.

Members trained in critical incident stress management are currently enroute to support those impacted by this tragedy. We are also working with the Coast Guard Foundation and other organizations to further support our members and families during this difficult time."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/P...2VImFpBTXXGwoM/

I went through most of flight school, the 60S FRS, fleet squadron, and was an instructor at VT-2 with LT Rhiannon “PALT” Ross. She was the Naval Helicopter Association’s pilot of the year a few years back for saving a helicopter and crew that most pilots would have ditched into the Persian Gulf. Real loss for Naval Aviation.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Reading these never gets any easier. Nor should it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

TidePods4Lunch posted:

She was the Naval Helicopter Association’s pilot of the year a few years back for saving a helicopter and crew that most pilots would have ditched into the Persian Gulf. Real loss for Naval Aviation.

Do you have a link for this, sounds like a good read.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

TidePods4Lunch posted:

I went through most of flight school, the 60S FRS, fleet squadron, and was an instructor at VT-2 with LT Rhiannon “PALT” Ross. She was the Naval Helicopter Association’s pilot of the year a few years back for saving a helicopter and crew that most pilots would have ditched into the Persian Gulf. Real loss for Naval Aviation.

Sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

TidePods4Lunch posted:

Sorry for your loss.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sorry for your loss. Never easy to find that out.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Do you have a link for this, sounds like a good read.

I don’t have the write up unfortunately. Long story short, the tail rotor had been rigged wrong and no one from maintenance to the FCF pilots caught it. While coming into a hover over the back of a DDG to practice fast roping, the helo entered an uncommanded yaw that couldn’t be countered by the pedals. The bird rotated something like 540 degrees before she managed to fly it away without hitting the DDG. I never saw the FLIR video from the other helo but apparently it was nuts.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

TidePods4Lunch posted:

I don’t have the write up unfortunately. Long story short, the tail rotor had been rigged wrong and no one from maintenance to the FCF pilots caught it. While coming into a hover over the back of a DDG to practice fast roping, the helo entered an uncommanded yaw that couldn’t be countered by the pedals. The bird rotated something like 540 degrees before she managed to fly it away without hitting the DDG. I never saw the FLIR video from the other helo but apparently it was nuts.

:gonk:

Edit: https://twitter.com/chadgarland/status/1320718142373568520?s=20

Seabees gonna Seabee

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 26, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TidePods4Lunch posted:

Helicopters thirst for the blood of their passengers

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MicahLoewinger/status/1320788423448367106?s=20

"I'm here to play games."

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the Seabees are an absolute garbage fire and should be eliminated from the force. there is nothing done by Seabees that contractors couldn't do more effectively and probably cheaper with less manpower. they exist to justify their own existence and if not their own forgotten corner of the USN would have had the hammer dropped on them hard by now

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Just be glad that was all he was arrested for.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

TidePods4Lunch posted:

I had one emergency close-in to the carrier like this: fuel valve failed open, engine shut down with a max trap load (flying ordnance aboard) and I thought I would snag an inflight engagement for sure. I remember every word, and every action of that day. Crazy part is from the error to when I arrested my descent rate in my brain was at least half a minute it took less than two seconds to go to full ab on the tapes.

To arrest a spin like that, loving amazing. I genuinely miss being part of the active aviation community now that I'm out but goddamn I don't miss the loss. I'm at the point where I hope I'm so old I don't recognize the names anymore, but it's crushing to think of the community and families.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Hi Navygoons. I have a little less than a year left so I'd like to ask advice about what I should do, what I should look into, etc.

I'm stationed overseas and before I joined I came from a poor junkheap family so I don't have the faintest clue about how college works or anything. At least I'm going to leave with no debt and a good amount of savings, so I don't feel bad about it.

I don't have any certs or anything though I'm in a technical/computer-related rate, and I've been studying Python/C++ in my spare time. I'd like to get into programming related work afterwards but I really have no idea how any of this works, since I don't have programmer nerd friends or family. Thanks for any advice you can spare.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

My sister did the boot camp route and is now a project manager in fintech, but that requires doing lots of research to find a good one, some money plus a pretty brutal few weeks.

USAjobs has a lot of what looks like decent computer toucher jobs that you could probably get with entry level certs you could do before you get out though like 75% of them seem to be for DHS, which personally I couldn’t justify to myself.

Some people had good advice in this thread as well as in software hardware crap’s IT thread for me if you look at my posts in this thread.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cubivore posted:

Hi Navygoons. I have a little less than a year left so I'd like to ask advice about what I should do, what I should look into, etc.

I'm stationed overseas and before I joined I came from a poor junkheap family so I don't have the faintest clue about how college works or anything. At least I'm going to leave with no debt and a good amount of savings, so I don't feel bad about it.

I don't have any certs or anything though I'm in a technical/computer-related rate, and I've been studying Python/C++ in my spare time. I'd like to get into programming related work afterwards but I really have no idea how any of this works, since I don't have programmer nerd friends or family. Thanks for any advice you can spare.

I finished a degree in software dev earlier this year. There is a great Cavern of COBOL discord full of smart men and women that helped me through my classes when I was struggling. Phone posting now but I can link the server after work tonight.

If you are in a spot where you can afford to go to school and get your degree, I’d recommend that route. That said, tech is not very dependent on academia at all. If you can prove you know what you are doing, no on gives a poo poo about your degree. Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part.

If a four year degree isn’t an option, I’d recommend looking at a language other than a python for a boot camp. I say that because if you learn another programming language first, the switch to Python is stupidly simple. I spent a couple of years with Java before playing with it and it took me a day or two to get syntax down before I was jamming out Python scripts without needing to reference documentation.

However, Python is so high level, it automatically does a bunch of poo poo that other languages don’t. So if you start with it, the transition to a lower level language is uncomfortable because you are used to all the nice things Python does for you.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

cubivore posted:

One thing to keep in mind for the GI bill is that to get the BAH you must attend at least one class in person. The kicker is that class only needs to meet once. So, what you can do is look at colleges that have "Hybrid" classes like that. For example, I go to Washington State University's Vancouver campus once a semester for the first class of my anthropology courses and take the rest of my school 100% online, because I live in central Oregon. The 2 hour drive once a semester gets me 2409/month BAH, so it is really worthwhile.

While this is an extraordinarily bad time for travel, if you (in the future) you don't mind travel that can open up a lot of avenues as a field representative or engineer for various companies. I spent a few months when I was with Mitsubishi flying around and updating IP addresses on PLCs for them, and that was a pretty good gig.

If you are desperate for work a headhunter group like Bradley-Morris will almost assuredly get you a job, but be warned they are tasked with filling positions with the highest caliber candidate for the lowest cost. I found my first post Navy job with them, and it was a good transition step while I did a little bit more thorough job hunting and figuring out what I wanted to do. If you have not been reading the thread I would also recommend a job at a data center if you can swing one. They tend to be really great. Below is a link to that sort of position:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dat...A:1603810243507

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
I'd like to go to school, I think, less because of "it's a necessity" and more for the general education, but I'm really completely clueless about if it's a good idea for me, etc.

I have no obligations and I think I have enough of a buffer to go, but what would I go for? How does any of it work? Like, in an ideal world I'd love to work in machine learning/AI/robotics. Should I go to school for that? Sorry for being so completely ignorant of all this.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

One thing to keep in mind for the GI bill is that to get the BAH you must attend at least one class in person. The kicker is that class only needs to meet once. So, what you can do is look at colleges that have "Hybrid" classes like that. For example, I go to Washington State University's Vancouver campus once a semester for the first class of my anthropology courses and take the rest of my school 100% online, because I live in central Oregon. The 2 hour drive once a semester gets me 2409/month BAH, so it is really worthwhile.

You get BAH regardless, just at a reduced rate.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

cubivore posted:

If you decide to not go down the programming road, throwing at a link for DOS FS gig: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/565821000 based on your .mil experience.

You do mostly spend your career OCONUS, and occasionally you may find yourself working in such gems as Benghazi, so buyer beware. But, you can also get 3 year gigs in London with paid housing so...

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Ask away man! Basically you find a college that you can live at, and has the program you think you want to study. Then you sign up and declare a major. Don't worry about getting this right, it's easy to change, and the first year or so is taking general classes not associated with a major.

You register for classes, get yourself an apartment, buy some books, and start showing up to classes. The first few semesters are generals you need as prerequisites to your final degree. poo poo like English, speech, and some entry level math (among others). If you are going for computer programming/engineering/sciences you'll probably be on the treadmill to Calculus. During this time it's probably a good idea to slip in a class or two you might find interesting and chat up professors to expand your world view and dip your toe in other subjects. Maybe you'll find something you really love, maybe you'll just pass through on your way to a programming degree.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Hekk posted:

If a four year degree isn’t an option, I’d recommend looking at a language other than a python for a boot camp. I say that because if you learn another programming language first, the switch to Python is stupidly simple.

I'll echo this as a former enlisted that went through college for Computer Science. Over the time of my classes, we went from C -> C++ -> Java. I picked up Python at the end at the recommendation of my brother, and that's mostly all I do nowadays. Most places you apply to will want you to have professional experience in whatever language you're listing, but if you can speak to and answer their language-specific questions, you can most of the time get by. C++ is great for anything that needs speed in execution, Python is great for anything that needs speed to market. There's a wide array of options though, don't feel like those are your only ones.

College class specifics (like operating systems, networking, algorithms, etc) are mostly irrelevant for the work you'll end up doing. What you'll learn from these classes is problem solving, and a degree will show that you can do that to most employers. I recommend college if you can swing the cost, I also recommend a light-ish first semester if you go straight from Navy to University for various reasons.

Don't really stress certifications too much. Most people ignore certs, unless they're specifically targeted by the company (think Networking or Testing certs).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PneumonicBook posted:

Yes, that is true, but the reduced rate is so low it makes being able to go to school full time without working pretty much impossible. The rate is half of the US average of E-5 with dependent BAH, or $850 a month. Considering that most metros have a BAH of 1800(Olympia) to 4500 (San Francisco), it really leaves a lot of money on the table. One thing he could consider doing is working and going to school part time, especially if he could do one of those classes in person. I believe you can use GI Bill in half month increments, so that might be a good way to get some BAH money and school done.

Right now I am doing 15 credits and working 50+ hours a week, so I am *very* stressed. I might not recommend it to anyone.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yes, that is true, but the reduced rate is so low it makes being able to go to school full time without working pretty much impossible. The rate is half of the US average of E-5 with dependent BAH, or $850 a month. Considering that most metros have a BAH of 1800(Olympia) to 4500 (San Francisco), it really leaves a lot of money on the table. One thing he could consider doing is working and going to school part time, especially if he could do one of those classes in person. I believe you can use GI Bill in half month increments, so that might be a good way to get some BAH money and school done.

Right now I am doing 15 credits and working 50+ hours a week, so I am *very* stressed. I might not recommend it to anyone.

Oh yea for sure. I was working part time so online pretend school was the best I could get, although now our state schools have online masters so Ill probably get one that route. Only have like 9 months left of BAH but Ill absolutely drive a couple of hours once for an extra 800 bucks.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Also I think they just changed the rule on it this year from where the campus is located to where you take classes but once my internship started I was pulling down LA BAH in Indiana

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wanted to echo easy course load first term. Unless you came from part of the Navy where work flow efficiency and time management were practiced (yes this is a joke) it is good to just ease in to managing time and work flow and prioritization, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PneumonicBook posted:

At a 50% reduced rate, so it's worth whatever hoop you can negotiate with the school to get that one in-person class.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
There was British SF insertion the other day to remove stowaways in the English Channel the other day. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/10/25/uk/isle-of-wight-tanker-nave-andromeda-intl/index.html

I heard about it because of this Operations Room video which details the insertion: https://youtu.be/CRme_HlPN-Y

Seems professionally accomplished. Hope that, if the aims were peaceful attempts for asylum, the stowaways do alright.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

piL posted:

I heard about it because of this Operations Room video which details the insertion: https://youtu.be/CRme_HlPN-Y

Love the Operations Room youtube channel, the video they did the other month about the first day of the air war in Gulf War 1 was nuts, all the moving parts that were in play was really something.

This guy this guy has some pretty cool naval history videos, he did a an awesome two parter about the debacle/real life Coens Brother movie that is the Russian Pacific Squadrons hilarious journey to the Battle of Tsushima

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
Alright, going to need help with understanding how SRBs work if anyone can care to explain. SRBs for ITs have been non existent for the last 6-8 years I want to say. I'm an IT2 ( with 4 years in ) with 746A (sysadmin) & H09A (CANES) NECs. Not sure how to calculate on reenlistment bonus if I want to sign for 4 or 6 more years.

Also, am I reading this right: quad 0 ITs get a 45k bonus??

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

From what I remember, quad zip for SRB is just anyone with the rate and the proper year zone

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
I need to pull the message because I can't see the headings on your screenshot.

It's the multiplier ( that's the 1.0/1.5/2.0) times your base pay times months you are reenlisting for. Up to the cap (probably that 45k/30k number)

Edit: They made that spreadsheet terrible but I was right.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 29, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Al Capwn posted:

Alright, going to need help with understanding how SRBs work if anyone can care to explain. SRBs for ITs have been non existent for the last 6-8 years I want to say. I'm an IT2 ( with 4 years in ) with 746A (sysadmin) & H09A (CANES) NECs. Not sure how to calculate on reenlistment bonus if I want to sign for 4 or 6 more years.

Also, am I reading this right: quad 0 ITs get a 45k bonus??

looks like Zone C ITs get 30k if they max out the SRB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2019/NAV19272.txt

This is the one time the navadmin might make more sense

I don't see your nec in there but it makes the sheet make sense with the multiplier and award ceiling

Edit: You're zone A if it's your first enlistment.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 29, 2020