Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

That new Lindsey Ellis vid kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Treat yourself to a half hour of Atun-Shei's Q&A.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The most surprising part of Lindsay’s video is that it’s the first time I’ve ever heard of Patreon doing something nice for someone. Sorry I called Pomplamoose a bunch of sub-Feist caterwauling, capitalist guy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

I'm watching the Lindsay Ellis vid now and holy poo poo I'm getting Digital Homicide flashbacks :allears:

Someone needs to preemptively start printing "I'm Lindsay loving Ellis, Son" t-shirts.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Wouldn't it be "I'm Lindsey loving Ellis, daughter"

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Did the "[person] e-mailed me, then it got worse" title structure originate with Sarah Z's video on the author of My Immortal, or does it go back further than that? I wonder if it will become a new internet video archetype akin to "[thing] Is Garbage, And Here's Why".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

I keep having this problem with Mauler vids in my recs :negative:

I don't even watch his stuff, I just clear it off now because I make the mistake watching things and then getting slammed with dozens of videos on stupid poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Youtube does seem to respect it when I tell it to not recommend me videos from a channel. At least for a while.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Ahem...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
There's also a version for Opera, if you're one of those people.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I mostly watch youtube on my ps3 tho so blocktube doesn't work :negative:

in case you're wondering why I watch youtube on my ps3, I usually watch youtube while playing video games so I have my main tv where my consoles and PC are hooked up to play and surf the internet and I have an old crt next to it with my ps3 hooked up to it to watch youtube lol

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No matter how obtuse and obsolete, every feature is a part of some user's daily routine.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

What is Use Fu Block Cking Tube?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

What is Use Fu Block Cking Tube?

I suppose the effect is ironically somewhat lost on mobile, now that I think of it...

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I specifically got this so I never have to see another Mauler, Crowder, Prager U or Classically Abby thumbnail ever again.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

We felt sorry for Mara Wilson over the possibility of her having to share a thanksgiving table with Ben Shapiro, but we didn't fully grasp the potential horror until Abby came along like an unwelcome lump.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone needs to preemptively start printing "I'm Lindsay loving Ellis, Son" t-shirts.

Twincityhacker posted:

Wouldn't it be "I'm Lindsey loving Ellis, daughter"

"I'm Lindsay loving Ellis, drat Baby"

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Since it's a new thread and I noticed that the Great War is still on the recommended channels (the war coverage is already over and Indy has nothing to do with the channel) I want to give a recommendation for Indy Neidel & co current project Word War Two which covers the war week by week, as well as specials on interesting persons, war on the homefront, equipment, the war against humanity etc. Currently operation Barbarossa is in full swing and in a bit more than a month they will be covering the attack on Pearl Harbor minute by minute.

It's very interesting, educational and well presented. I was about to say fun, but the team has done their due diligence in covering atrocities committed by all the factions, so it's occasionally going to be rough to watch. But I highly recommend the channel!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When you consider that republicans backed an unhinged lunatic as president so long as he lined their pockets and kept the boot on the neck of the undesirables, Jack Thompson’s career reads more like foreshadowing.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

I'm watching the Lindsay Ellis vid now and holy poo poo I'm getting Digital Homicide flashbacks :allears:

If Cain does go through with suing her we’d finally have a lawsuit against an Internet personality dumber then the one against Jim Sterling.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

We felt sorry for Mara Wilson over the possibility of her having to share a thanksgiving table with Ben Shapiro, but we didn't fully grasp the potential horror until Abby came along like an unwelcome lump.

Ben at least never graduated from the kids’ table, as they could never find a thick enough phone book, although I bet his voice really carries when he gets into the degeneracy of Peppa Pig with the others these days.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

"I'm Lindsay loving Ellis, drat Baby"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hey if you're a fan of Fallout New Vegas it's Director/Head Designer Josh Sawyer is currently streaming it on twitch as part of a donation drive for California wildfire relief, check it out: https://twitch.tv/jesawyer

He'll be streaming today and tomorrow from late morning to early evening PST.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Atrocity Guide- "The Strange History of Breatharianism"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWRniMqhr00

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Xiran Jay Zhao posted a follow up video to her live action Disney's Mulan video, this one about the original animated movie.

(The original)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QKq24e0HM

(The new one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SHC7CnmErM

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The original twitter thread that I'm assuming that video is based on is interesting. It's basically a mixture of: things that are surprisingly accurate (the clothing, the utensils and other day to day life details of ancient China), things that are inaccurate but probably deliberately for plot/stylistic reasons (the anachronistic Forbidden City, arguably everything to do with the villains), and mistakes.

https://twitter.com/XiranJayZhao/status/1314765485087420416

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also liked that someone on the animation team found that thread and thanked her for both appreciating the details they got right and explaining what they didn't, very nice to see artists who can handle cultural critique without getting defensive or dismissive.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Kyle Kallgren's new theater company is live with their production of Lysistrata, a comedy about the women of ancient Greece going on a sex strike to end the Peloponnesian War:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQqgwHmij8

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 25, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr.Radar posted:

Kyle Kallgren's new theater company is live with their production of Lysistrata, a comedy about the women of ancient Greece going on a sex strike to end the Peloponnesian War:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQqgwHmij8

Is the joke that the dudes just keep loving each other and the war goes on?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
According to Wikipedia, it does appear that part of the joke is the absurdity. Keep in mind this play was originally written during the war so in that context this is proposing a simple if absurd way to put a quick end to the war.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 25, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Finally got a chance to watch this. I was going to say that it overemphasizes taking twitter proclamations literally when so much of online is just blowing off steam and bullying out of powerlessness and frustration, so a lot of that “I’ll never vote for Biden” discourse is hyperbole. But I realize Contrapoints has a young audience that is extremely online, so there is something to breaking down the harm-reduction argument for people who might take that stuff more seriously than the average shitposter.

I knocked doors and phonebanked for Bernie in January-March and it was exhausting. People were mostly nice, but I hate talking to people and just wanted to jump out of my skin and run away. I don’t know what it takes for a person to be motivated to do it or get energized by it. It would take a hell of a candidate to motivate me to do that again, maybe AOC if we’ve reached the point where GOTV can be done via shitposting.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Beautifully made video as usual but I kinda wanna see a naked Matty Matheson running in the streets shouting "VOTE!" to people instead.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Pants Donkey posted:

When you consider that republicans backed an unhinged lunatic as president so long as he lined their pockets and kept the boot on the neck of the undesirables, Jack Thompson’s career reads more like foreshadowing.

Jack Thompson's remembered but don't forget state senator/gaming moralist/convicted arms dealer Leland Yee.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Finally got a chance to watch this. I was going to say that it overemphasizes taking twitter proclamations literally when so much of online is just blowing off steam and bullying out of powerlessness and frustration, so a lot of that “I’ll never vote for Biden” discourse is hyperbole. But I realize Contrapoints has a young audience that is extremely online, so there is something to breaking down the harm-reduction argument for people who might take that stuff more seriously than the average shitposter.

I knocked doors and phonebanked for Bernie in January-March and it was exhausting. People were mostly nice, but I hate talking to people and just wanted to jump out of my skin and run away. I don’t know what it takes for a person to be motivated to do it or get energized by it. It would take a hell of a candidate to motivate me to do that again, maybe AOC if we’ve reached the point where GOTV can be done via shitposting.

Harm reduction doesn't work with Biden and crew because no harm gets reduced. It's a dumb argument that doesn't work in this particular instance.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

MonsieurChoc posted:

Harm reduction doesn't work with Biden and crew because no harm gets reduced. It's a dumb argument that doesn't work in this particular instance.

The big problem with the "Just Vote" stuff is that there's almost always an implicit "The way I want you to" attached to it. Just look at the kind of harassment and endless attempts to shame and insult people who genuinely don't feel represented by either party: countless voices basically shoved into silence because they're told their vote doesn't matter and that no candidate should actually have to work to earn their vote because if they don't vote for the blue man, no matter how lovely he is, then they're just as bad as the red man even if he's a literal super hitler. But of course politics isn't a team sport, no, it's only the people I don't like who enforce the team sports mentality; just vote the way I want to or I'll spend the next hour telling you what a horrible human being you are for not believing that my candidate will do literally what he's said he will at best; absolutely nothing. Or, perhaps, at worst stick to his political track record rather than suddenly veering left like everyone seems to swear he will despite decades of his life not suggesting he'll really do that.

And the part that really gets me is that when it looked like Bernie still had a chance to beat Biden there were democrats all across the internet throwing their own hissy fits over it swearing they'd never vote for him no matter what and no one could make them. So why is this poo poo okay? Why are so many people continually falling in line to bend over backwards to try and make as many people as possible continually "suck it up and vote for the lesser of two evils" when it doesn't really work that well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's a complicated subject with multiple factor. Reading Thomas Frank and Chris Edges give a pretty good view at the failures of America LIberalism and how we got to where we are, with no real solution. Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent is also a classic.

Democrats using bullshit excuse to throw the Greens off the ballot tells you all you need to know about how they really feel about Democracy.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nuebot posted:

And the part that really gets me is that when it looked like Bernie still had a chance to beat Biden there were democrats all across the internet throwing their own hissy fits over it swearing they'd never vote for him no matter what and no one could make them. So why is this poo poo okay? Why are so many people continually falling in line to bend over backwards to try and make as many people as possible continually "suck it up and vote for the lesser of two evils" when it doesn't really work that well.
Because America is a theocracy where the overwhelming majority of media believes that being poor is a moral failing. So a candidate offering to do even the barest minimum to make life better for poor people is a heretic encouraging sin.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The modern Democratic party as constructed is liberal, not leftist. This is an important distinction and why you for example see a lot of people praise Warren as a "progressive" while she's banging the drum that capitalism is good, actually, it's just the bad people who distort capitalism and make it bad that we have to take care of. She's about as far to the left as you can get in the party and still be considered within the primary fold, and she's still a liberal. Yet despite that apparently Biden doesn't want to give her a position in his administration partly because he's worried she's "too left" for moderate voters. Meanwhile people like AOC or Tlaib have the DCCC pouring buckets of money into (D) primary challengers from the right because while they are nominally part of the party, they are considered far too left by the people actually running it.

As for actual voters themselves, it's trickier. There is a genuine leftist block in the party, as there is a genuine liberal block. You also have a lot of racial and socio-economic blocks that influence some voting behaviors and loyalties. However there are a lot of other people who simply aren't really plugged in but were beaten to death by a hammer this primary season by the media that a) Trump is a unique, existential threat who has to be removed from power, b) Bernie was not electable because ~reasons~, and c) Biden was electable and so to get rid of Trump you must vote for Biden, and anything else is tantamount to voting for Trump. This is not the block that won Biden SC, but it is the block that won him a ton of victories on Super Tuesday and then on after all the other liberal candidates dropped out en masse.

There's also an aspect that the dems are huffing their own farts a bit about how uniquely terrible Trump is, and so thought that once they got their guy the nomination, everybody including the left would just fall in line because, well obviously, they're better than Trump. When the left largely did not fall in line and instead ridiculed Bernie for jumping on Biden's bandwagon and mused about voting green, their options were to sure up the leftist vote by incorporating their policy - but risk alienating the liberals - or try vote shaming. Unsurprisingly they opted for the latter. Whether it works or not - or whether they ultimately even need the left at all this election - will remain to be seen. Lotta NoJoe's are super smug about Biden losing and likewise a lot of libs are super smug about Biden crushing it, but after 2016 I'm not placing any bets. Howie Hawkins could win and I'd barely bat an eye while remarking "oh hey, the polls were wrong." I'm just waiting to see where the cards fall, however they fall.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is no fictional human being I want to exist more than far left anarchist Biden in Trump's attack ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I kind of think that video is bad at least at doing what it wants to do. Having your strawman alter ego is fine for your comedy video that plays to people who already broadly agree with you but I imagine it’s a big turn off for anyone that doesn’t.