Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the enterprise should threaten general order 24 when their senior officers get held hostage by some podunk civilization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

who would win, the USS enterprise or one punch man

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

who would win, the USS enterprise or one punch man

Trick question they would never fight

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
I just started watching TOS for the first time since catching episodes as a kid in the 90s. I'm 6 episodes in and it's actually holding up better than I thought it would and is pretty watchable; when it's good it's good, and when it's bad it's either Adam West Batman bad or just pure scenery-chewing Shatner bad, both of which curve back to being good.

I'm wondering what happens to the criss-cross blonde beehive Yeoman lady, as so far she has appeared in the show as much if not more than Sulu, Uhura and Scotty.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Diorama posted:

I'm wondering what happens to the criss-cross blonde beehive Yeoman lady, as so far she has appeared in the show as much if not more than Sulu, Uhura and Scotty.

Majel Barrett?

That's Mrs. Gene Rodenberry, who would go on to appear in some way in every single Star Trek series in her lifetime. She was a nurse on TOS and the voice of the computer in TNG, as well as Troi's mom.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
They mean Rand, and like every star trek actress the answer to why she disappeared is sexual harassment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week's Discovery was... pretty nitpickable, but had the seed of a decent episode at least. It's pretty drat safe to say this is a soft reboot for the show now, considering a good chunk of this episode was "this is character X, this is what they do". The writing at least tried to be positive about who they are and what they do, even if the whole "space cowboy saloon" was pretty :rolleyes:, and it's a better step forward than previous seasons.

Complaints-wise; That sure seemed to be a bigass ship for a crew of *checks notes* five people who somehow overtook a whole mining colony and subjugated its inhabitants of which we saw only a handful and are meant to infer more? :confused:

Deus Ex Michael also just cratered the ending, because the whole thrust of the story is about Discovery's crew thriving in the face of adversity, even without Starfleet and the Federation to back them. Getting rescued just makes it all arbitrarily pointless, and could've been done much better by escaping on their own and contacting Michael from orbit.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields

mossyfisk posted:

They mean Rand, and like every star trek actress the answer to why she disappeared is sexual harassment.

Yeah it's Rand I meant, and gently caress, I wish I hadn't gone to memory alpha to read up on it. It sounds awfully like she was raped by a producer and then written out of the show, her favourite role.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

She did come back for some of the TOS movies

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Diorama posted:

Yeah it's Rand I meant, and gently caress, I wish I hadn't gone to memory alpha to read up on it. It sounds awfully like she was raped by a producer and then written out of the show, her favourite role.

It's really monstrous, and disgusts me that her experience is repeated again and again for other young women just wanting to act or, hell, any other career.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Starfleet Command
Humane Resources

Complaint #00274

Subject: Gowron's Eyes

Message: Look I feel bad complaining about this but I can't sit across from that guy at negotiations anymore. His stare turns me on or makes me unable to physically and emotionally hold liquids in my body or something. I need a transfer to a Breen embassy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/678421606145714

Look what popped up on my local Marketplace

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I still have all mine that I got at $100 a pop at release. They still sit on my shelf because they just look snazzy. :)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'd consider getting them if I had 50 Credits to blow.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Majel Barrett?

That's Mrs. Gene Rodenberry, who would go on to appear in some way in every single Star Trek series in her lifetime. She was a nurse on TOS and the voice of the computer in TNG, as well as Troi's mom.

Its a crime there hasn't been a voice program out yet with her recorded library she did for the exact purpose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

happyhippy posted:

Its a crime there hasn't been a voice program out yet with her recorded library she did for the exact purpose.

They did make one back in 2016 but it has never been released to the public.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Arcsquad12 posted:

They did make one back in 2016 but it has never been released to the public.

I thought they made that so she would continue to be the computer voice for Nu Trek. Did anyone ever say why that didn't happen? And can they give the files to Google so I can use her as my phone assistant?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

Did anyone ever say why that didn't happen?

That information is not available.

CaptainSkinny posted:

And can they give the files to Google so I can use her as my phone assistant?

Negative.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Endless Trash posted:

That information is not available.

I've always preferred "I am not programmed to respond in that area".

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Wondering how they're going to play Discovery being so outdated in the future.

They've made it clear that tech has advanced massively by showing the personal transporters and the 3D printer pen, but so far we've only seen smallish ships. I'm guessing that Dilithium is now "fuel", so is the Discovery going to be old but "overpowered"? Sort of like throwing a WWII battleship into a skirmish against modern day costal patrol craft? Or are they just going to be old and useless, always relying on Michael and other Deus ex machina to solve all their proble. . . wait, I think I just answered my question.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

Wondering how they're going to play Discovery being so outdated in the future.

They've made it clear that tech has advanced massively by showing the personal transporters and the 3D printer pen, but so far we've only seen smallish ships. I'm guessing that Dilithium is now "fuel", so is the Discovery going to be old but "overpowered"? Sort of like throwing a WWII battleship into a skirmish against modern day costal patrol craft? Or are they just going to be old and useless, always relying on Michael and other Deus ex machina to solve all their proble. . . wait, I think I just answered my question.

I think there's going to be a refit of Discovery to get new Starfleet toys sometime in the next few episodes, because there's a bunch of them in the opening credits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They may eventually get a refit, but Discovery may well run for a while with being super-outdated and not able to fight and having a just a few small 31st century toys for a while, but on the other hand also having a magical mushroom drive that can teleport anywhere in the galaxy instantly which is still much better than even future ships can do.

They no doubt have an absolute shitload of dilithium on board by modern standards though and once they get a recrystalliser it'll be far far more than they'll need so they'll be able to get by trading it for a while without threatening their own operation as long as they're careful about not getting taken over by pirates.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 24, 2020

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Didn't the feral princess from Season 2 short treks invent a recrystallized?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but she didn't give it to anyone because she didn't trust the galaxy with the advanced technology of freeing them from a resource dependence. :shrug:

Spock invented it a few years later in TVH anyway and by TNG they have recrystalizer built into all the warp cores so they can just keep the dilithium going without even taking it out. Book mentioned his was busted last week because of his collision with Michael, which is why they needed to go trade for new dilithium.

I assume it shouldn't be hard for Disco to trade for one, they can probably just be fished out of old ships that there isn't enough dilithium left to actually run.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 24, 2020

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

She did come back for some of the TOS movies

She was in The Motion Picture, The Voyage Home, and on Sulu's ship in The Undiscovered Country. She also is in the Voyager episode where Janeway goes into to Tuvok's mind exploring his time under Captain Sulu, which I find endearing continuity.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
I dont know why i am still watching Discovery

I guess i am hoping it would start making sense, but at season 3, this pa'tak of a series still hard to follow

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I actually thought this last episode was pretty classic Trek, honestly. This season has been 2 for 2 so far in my book. There’s still plenty of time for it to fall flat on its face, though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RoboBoogie posted:

I dont know why i am still watching Discovery

I guess i am hoping it would start making sense, but at season 3, this pa'tak of a series still hard to follow

This is pretty telling of our entire culture.

" This poo poo sucks, but I'll keep watching, juuuuust in case it stops sucking slightly less"

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

On to season 6 of Voyager, most of these episodes I haven't seen. Icheb... :smith:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Johnny Aztec posted:

This is pretty telling of our entire culture.

" This poo poo sucks, but I'll keep watching, juuuuust in case it stops sucking slightly less"

This is literally me reading the news every morning.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i think im going to start putting blame where blame is due and turn on patrick stewart for ruining star trek

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

One thing I’ve been enjoying about Enterprise is the lack of a holodeck. It kept the writers from trying to pull any of that Vic Fontaine or Janeway Austin bullshit. They even managed to make a (admittedly mediocre) Wild West episode that didn’t involve the holodeck OR time travel.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Goddamn that Wild West episode was such dumb fun though. The moment where Reed shoots T’Pol was a riot.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

GolfHole posted:

i think im going to start putting blame where blame is due and turn on patrick stewart for ruining star trek

It is kind or surprising to me how bad Spiner and Stewart were in their decisions around the show/movies

Also Avery doesn’t want to nor needs to do Sisko without Lofton and is one of the hang ups of getting it done. They haven’t asked any of the other cast members either. To be honest I’m not so sure it would be bad if it were a show about Ben and Jake and their tour of the galaxy

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Third season's fine so far

HD DAD posted:

Goddamn that Wild West episode was such dumb fun though. The moment where Reed shoots T’Pol was a riot.

I initially thought you were referring to Marauders, the terrible episode where they defend a colony with home alone traps

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Neurolimal posted:

Third season's fine so far

I initially thought you were referring to Marauders, the terrible episode where they defend a colony with home alone traps

No yeah, Marauders is dumb and bad. North Star is good, though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Please just make Star Trek: Worf.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Worf will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch...

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

Please just make Star Trek: Worf.

please be careful or we are going to get Star Trek: Alexander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

GolfHole posted:

please be careful or we are going to get Star Trek: Alexander

Ha! Ha! Ha!