Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
thinkin' about biking...but not doin' it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

My limit is 100 miles around a 1km oval. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Did they do the entire 500k in a loop?

Wait you did a century around the inner circle?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Wait you did a century around the inner circle?

Inner circle?

There’s a road near me that goes in an oval with no stop signs. At the beginning of lockdown I did 161 laps of it. Would not recommend.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Inner circle?

There’s a road near me that goes in an oval with no stop signs. At the beginning of lockdown I did 161 laps of it. Would not recommend.

That sounds like punishment.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

That sounds like punishment.

It definitely was, to a degree. Beyond the repetition, there was some fun elements. It took about 3-4 laps for people to walk out of range, but once you passed them a second time they started getting confused and the looks you received were great.

My partner came out and handed off bottles and musettes as practice, so it felt very pro, and was the perfect place to practice. A couple people saw these exchanges and they got really, really confused as she appeared, I threw a bottle on the ground, grabbed the hand up, and kept on going only to re-appear in two minutes and do it again.

After 100 laps I was really tempted to call it a day at a metric, but if you’re going to do it, may as well do it properly.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Festive500 is on Zwift this year. RIP to true suffering if you live in a cold climate.
no true festive 500 then

i have not done a festive 500 in many years, might have to change that

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 23, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

BEHOLD!
https://www.strava.com/activities/813313822
My insane friend did this for festive 500 one year.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 23, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

My limit is 100 miles around a 1km oval. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Did they do the entire 500k in a loop?

Ran into weather issues iirc that made their regular plan unachievable and did most of it on a 1.5ish km loop around a local park over the holidays.

Impressive already for someone that really likes that style of same thing over and over again riding but the fact that they did it that way because they just really wanted to finish the F500 and that was the only way to get it done that year made it even more impressive.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

BEHOLD!

My god.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anybody want some new eat trash stickers?

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/ap/60688192

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i have a mountain bike from like 20 years ago that ive been just riding up and down a long concrete path that cuts through a part of vancouver (total ride is about 40-50 mins at a high pace) for cardio since covid started, and its starting to get kinda cold and uncomfortable to ride when i do (which is around midnight). vancouver is about 8c/46f right now and it doesnt usually get colder than -4c or -5c/23f, though for a couple weeks i can probably just take a rest if it gets real low

my question then is: what kind of gear/clothing am i looking for to make this more comfortable? I mean gloves and a scarf and maybe a light toque i can put under my helmet seem reasonable to me, but im wondering if there are specific brands or fabrics or something i should be targeting that are good for wind-resistance as opposed to the normal stuff id wear in winter. my current jacket (a fall jacket but is pretty nice for wind) is probably good enough if i wear a long sleeve shirt

i guess right now i have like, some gardening gloves, but those seem like a bad choice

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Verviticus posted:

i have a mountain bike from like 20 years ago that ive been just riding up and down a long concrete path that cuts through a part of vancouver (total ride is about 40-50 mins at a high pace) for cardio since covid started, and its starting to get kinda cold and uncomfortable to ride when i do (which is around midnight). vancouver is about 8c/46f right now and it doesnt usually get colder than -4c or -5c/23f, though for a couple weeks i can probably just take a rest if it gets real low

my question then is: what kind of gear/clothing am i looking for to make this more comfortable? I mean gloves and a scarf and maybe a light toque i can put under my helmet seem reasonable to me, but im wondering if there are specific brands or fabrics or something i should be targeting that are good for wind-resistance as opposed to the normal stuff id wear in winter. my current jacket (a fall jacket but is pretty nice for wind) is probably good enough if i wear a long sleeve shirt

i guess right now i have like, some gardening gloves, but those seem like a bad choice

Depending on how much you're exerting yourself, you can dress surprisingly light as long as you don't have any skin exposed. My -40C cycling gear is what I would wear if just walking around from 0 to -10C. Any waterproof and windproof outer jacket and pants will be fine for Vancouver, especially if it has vents you can unzip if you're getting too warm. Wool is the best material for base layers, and Costco sells decent 100% merino wool shirts for way cheaper than I've seen anywhere else. They're really good for insulation and moisture regulation, and if it's not windy I'd often toss my jacket in my pannier and ride with just the shirt down to -10C. I come from a pretty cold place so my tolerance is probably on the high side, though.

A toque is fine, and if you find it gets too warm a headband that covers your ears might be enough. The biggest quality of life upgrade would be a set of pogies/handlebar covers that block the wind and keep your hands warm while riding. I use a pair of 45Nrth Cobrafists, but that's probably overkill for your use case. You can probably get a set of ATV pogies from Canadian Tire or Cabela's for less than $50 on sale, and they'll be fine for coastal weather.

45Nrth is a decent brand for winter cycling gear but they can be pricey, especially if you're not going all in on riding during the winter. Browsing their site should give a good idea of what kind of things to look for in winter dress, although I don't know if the slider at the top of the page is in C or F.

https://45nrth.com/products/temp-guide

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
thats good info, thank you. are pogies better than just having an adequate pair of gloves?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think that's more of a personal preference. I find it more comfortable to ride with bare hands or with a pair of light gloves compared to my cross-country skiing gloves, but that's just me and the Cobrafists have a lot of room inside to separate your hands from the wind. I mainly got them because when you start getting down to extremely cold temperatures you don't have much of a choice, since you need the combined warming effects of both. If you're riding at night there's also the possible addition of chemical/electrical warmers to the mix, and mine have a nice pocket for those.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I do winter riding in Vancouver too, I’m good down to around -10c wearing bibshorts, leg warmers, a spandex-y cap which keeps my ears against my head and warm, long sleeve shirt, wind/rain hi vis shell jacket, lightly-insulated boot covers, and some rain-resistant gloves. It’s not too bad but I tend to run pretty warm so it might seem pretty light. I’ve definitely tossed some sweatpants overtop occasionally when I wasn’t feeling like suffering the first 15 minutes to get my blood flowing.

That of course assumes it is dry out, I don’t mess around in snow/ice.

For your face, grow a big bushy beard, it’s fun to collect ice in it as your exhale. But seriously get a buff or some other face shield so your nose doesn’t freeze, don’t be an idiot like me.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I rode my bike today for the first time in a couple weeks. I didn't even want to ride but I forced myself to get out and move for a couple of hours. It wasn't all that enjoyable and it's bumming me out :(

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

spf3million posted:

I rode my bike today for the first time in a couple weeks. I didn't even want to ride but I forced myself to get out and move for a couple of hours. It wasn't all that enjoyable and it's bumming me out :(

I had a day like this yesterday it was miserable. Then I had a great day bichaeling today. Not every ride can be a winner.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I rode bikes with my brother yesterday and it was good. He's been wanting to try a century and I've done a bunch so we decided to meet somewhere in the middle of us and give it a go. Weather was cool-to-mild and cloudy most of the day, with the sun coming out during the last hour or two. Great for riding and we both dressed perfectly for it, a rarity for me.

He had found a route he liked that looped down along the Connecticut River and took us from New Hampshire, down into Massachusetts for the bulk of it, and then up into Vermont to finish. It was a bit shy of century length so I modified the start point and did my normal thing of finding beautiful roads with way too much climbing, only I really screwed up by putting the additions at both the beginning and the end of everything. No matter how short it is, putting a Cat 4 climb on an unmaintained dirt road in the first ten miles of a route is a bad idea.

Our nutrition and hydration was really good, but it could only do so much to combat the fact that neither of us had slept well the night before. We were exhausted to begin with and every so often it would catch up with us and we would need to stop and rest/fuel before getting back to it. We felt best right after lunch and in the last few miles when we knew we would make it and emptied our tanks on the homestretch.

Ride time wasn't bad, given the climbing we had and our pre-existing exhaustion, but the total time including all the stops was longer than we would've liked. We covered just over 105 miles & 3,900 ft of elevation in 6h29m on the bikes, with a little under two extra hours for stretching, bathroom, and food stops.

Lunch was garbage food, so it was delicious.

But hey, it's fall here in New England so even with the clouds and the exhaustion and sore everything, it was gorgeous. Gliding under rivers of red, yellow, gold, and orange foliage and over the same that had already fallen was a delight.

I even met a leaf.

It was a very good day.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 25, 2020

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
^^that looks like a beautiful ride!

I can't count and I have an extra unopened XXL Trash jersey if anyone wants to buy it. Quality on them is great but they definitely run snug also.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

a loathsome bird posted:

^^that looks like a beautiful ride!

I can't count and I have an extra unopened XXL Trash jersey if anyone wants to buy it. Quality on them is great but they definitely run snug also.

Pmed

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Speaking of trash kits, I am planning on doing a second run in January after the holidays if anyone wants a different size or missed out on the first round.

I’m also putting together a trashkit sequel but don’t have an ETA on that yet, it still needs a lot of work, I’ll probably put it up in the early spring.

This is an extremely extremely rough draft of what I have layed out so far:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Hit my mileage goal for the year today on a 75 mile leaf peeping ride

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Speaking of trash kits, I am planning on doing a second run in January after the holidays if anyone wants a different size or missed out on the first round.

I’m also putting together a trashkit sequel but don’t have an ETA on that yet, it still needs a lot of work, I’ll probably put it up in the early spring.

This is an extremely extremely rough draft of what I have layed out so far:

I would love to know what the Chinese guy who does the order thinks of the trash miles insanity.

P.s. I want that. More insane, please.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah I spaced out on the first run and would like to get in trash miles if you do another one.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If a women's run of trashkit happens, my wife is still interested.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

If a women's run of trashkit happens, my wife is still interested.

The interest form is still sitting at 2 entries. Need a few more.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

numberoneposter posted:

BEHOLD!

UVic alumnus 2001 - I never rode any laps of Ring Road but I did get into a minor traffic accident driving on it. I assume the boredom of that ride led to some kind of narcotic-like high to just keep going. Also, the tires would have been worn much more on one side.

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!
Hello Cycling Goons!

Despite not having ridden anything pedal powered in the last 15 years or so, or having any experience with bikes besides knowing they need to have two wheels and pedals, I decided lockdown would be a great time to try and get into some road cycling, mainly as an alternative to running.

Unfortunately because of lockdown all retail in my part of the world is shut down so I couldn't even pop into a shop and work out what I needed/wanted. This left me either to buy a new bike sight unseen (most of which are currently sold out in aus) or with the quite frankly insane second hand market. I went the second option and picked up this:

For $500 aud (approx 350 freedom Dollars)

Having been a ski tech and dive instructor for much of my adult life I realize I'm breaking the first rule of purchasing kit: don't buy poo poo from randoms on the internet if you don't know what you're looking at, but I figured I can take a punt and treat it as a learning experience.

Based on my incredibly limited knowledge it has the advantages of a 105 groupset and carbon forks. The brand was an Australian mob that designed the bikes here and had them made in Taiwan. They appear to have gone out of business but were around for about 15 years and have a seemingly decent reputation from the info I could find.

PO said it was serviced in March and hasn't been ridden since. I gave it a quick once over and it seemed OK, no frame damage, carbon still sounded fine using the tap test, wheels appeared true and no creaking from the bottom bracket or headset.

I've never ridden anything with integrated shifters/brakes so I wasn't able to really verify everything worked groupset wise until I got home, where I found it was slipping gears mainly in the middle rings. Couple of youtube videos later and I'd reset the upper and lower limits and indexed the rear derailleur and now it seems to shift reasonably smoothly and will only refuse to shift occasionally in the middle rings (no idea If this is normal, happens maybe once in 20 shifts and a quick blip of the shifter sorts it).

Anyway while doing this I noticed that the rear casette has a small amount of movement in it, with the wheel off I'd say it has approx 0.5mm lateral play and when on the bike with the wheel spinning it just moves up and down very slightly vertically. My first thought is a bearing issue? Or possibly a preload setting? The actual sprockets in the cassete are solid and the hub doesn't make any noise or anything but there's definitely play in the casette. I can post a video if it helps at all.

From the very short rides around the block I've taken it on, I'm already hooked and tremendously excited to start riding properly.

Also feel free to call me an idiot for buying secondhand/with no idea what I'm doing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spf3million posted:

Like e.pilot says, some days everything sucks. In 2020 that's also most days. Ride bieks be gay do crimes

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

New bike:

I may need a longer stem, going to ride a bit before deciding (frame is size XL). Its a fast bike on pavement, havent had time to hit the gravel yet.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Kontour posted:

From the very short rides around the block I've taken it on, I'm already hooked and tremendously excited to start riding properly.

Awesomeness. I'm not Australian, but I live here now. Armidale, NSW, where the hills have been kicking my out-of-shape rear end.

How are the maggies where you are? I've been attacked a couple of times but no real contact. The most aggressive bird on my commute are the parents of a small duck family that will reliably charge me, hissing, every time.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Review of the AMD "mountain bike".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY8NLAfNi_M

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!

ExecuDork posted:

How are the maggies where you are? I've been attacked a couple of times but no real contact. The most aggressive bird on my commute are the parents of a small duck family that will reliably charge me, hissing, every time.

I actually haven't been swooped once this year somehow, and that's despite running upwards of 50km a week in areas including a local park that was a quarry and has been rehabilitated into bushland and through some wetlands with a ton of trees. No idea how come but I'm counting myself lucky.

Do you have any recommendations for places to buy bibs and jerseys and stuff in aus? Seems like a lot of the cheaper places are drop shipping from China.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I ordered tires and got shipped tubeless instead of the tubed gravelking sk+ I ordered. Can I just put tubes in these and run them or is that bad? I don’t think the wheel set on the bike I’m putting them on is set up for tubeless but I guess I also don’t really know what that entails.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You should be able to run them with tubes.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

vikingstrike posted:

You should be able to run them with tubes.

Thanks!

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

Kontour posted:

I actually haven't been swooped once this year somehow, and that's despite running upwards of 50km a week in areas including a local park that was a quarry and has been rehabilitated into bushland and through some wetlands with a ton of trees. No idea how come but I'm counting myself lucky.

Do you have any recommendations for places to buy bibs and jerseys and stuff in aus? Seems like a lot of the cheaper places are drop shipping from China.

Form my (limited) experience:

maap.cc
Pedal Mafia
Wiggle (sometimes comes from Australia, sometimes the UK)

And I did a Google for Australian kit a while ago and found a few different places whose names I have now forgotten

I'm currently debating buying some clearance maap kit or beer. The beer's winning (only because I don't think I'll fit into the kit yet due to the available sizes...

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

X13Fen posted:

Form my (limited) experience:

maap.cc
Pedal Mafia
Wiggle (sometimes comes from Australia, sometimes the UK)

And I did a Google for Australian kit a while ago and found a few different places whose names I have now forgotten

I'm currently debating buying some clearance maap kit or beer. The beer's winning (only because I don't think I'll fit into the kit yet due to the available sizes...

I think Chain Reaction is now owned by Wiggle, but is Australian. They carry the wiggle house-brand dhb gear, which is very good value apparel.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
Most of my bibshorts are dhb and they're great for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

bicievino posted:

I think Chain Reaction is now owned by Wiggle, but is Australian. They carry the wiggle house-brand dhb gear, which is very good value apparel.

Good to know!

Looks like some stuff is still shipped from the UK, like the dhb bibs i was looking at