Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i'm unironically pumped to hear this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Metal Goes Pop Vol 1 is gonna own

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

sebmojo posted:

Ya know what? Better her than Metallica.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Leto's Joker wasn't so much bad (because you barely saw him) as really forced. It's like the media wanted to recreate this idea of Heath Ledger's Joker being too-real, too-method so they kept circulating stories about how dark and twisted Jared Leto was becoming even off-camera, and then you find out his "pranks" were poo poo like leaving condoms on the door handles of his co-stars's trailers.

And famously trying to scare Margot Robbie with a live rat in a box, which was eventually adopted by Guillermo del Toro to live out its happy last years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

And famously trying to scare Margot Robbie with a live rat in a box, which was eventually adopted by Guillermo del Toro to live out its happy last years.

Rats only live like two years anyway

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Hell, I'll gladly die in 2 years if I get to spend them chilling in Guillermo's nerdhaus.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Hell, I'll gladly die in 2 years if I get to spend them chilling in Guillermo's nerdhaus.
:respek:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

Also better than making an album with acoustic rap covers.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

lindsey ellis made a video complaining about people calling freddie got fingered a dadaist masterpiece so she can shove it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I just watched lucy and man that is some delightful nonsense

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Weirdlu emough i actually think the movie has some relevance. While the conditions of being a bored white guy with an unfufilling but well paying job are outdated, tylers mokies are basically proto-proud boys and from that perspective you can glean some insight

tyler was the only one with any sort of money. all the goons were bartenders and service industry wage slaves. bored white collar workers didn’t go away either, just waned a bit, especially in media because they have no compelling story to tell

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I just watched lucy and man that is some delightful nonsense

my favorite part of this movie is when the scientist guy is giving an exposition dump at the beginning and he's like "at 20% brain usage, youre faster than any supercomputer. 30%, you get telekinesis. 40%, you can dodge bullets matrix style"

and then some student in his lecture is like "what about 100%" and he's like "what... nobody's ever considered that before... why would you choose such a number" lol

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, film absolutely owns except that luc besson is a weirdo

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l81u-oSIAp4

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Aglet56 posted:

my favorite part of this movie is when the scientist guy is giving an exposition dump at the beginning and he's like "at 20% brain usage, youre faster than any supercomputer. 30%, you get telekinesis. 40%, you can dodge bullets matrix style"

and then some student in his lecture is like "what about 100%" and he's like "what... nobody's ever considered that before... why would you choose such a number" lol

the real answer is a seizure because it turns out using your whole brain at once is mostly just like binary code that just reads 1111111111111111111 etc

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

unironically owns

All of Metallica's good work came out before she was born

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

josh04 posted:

lol, film absolutely owns except that luc besson is a rapist

love that the climax of that movie was Scarlet Johansen morphing into an Alienware desktop terminal and uploading the meaning of life onto a usb stick

good mashup of two absolutely forgettable movies at the time, Limitless and Transcendense

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I love the completely on the nose inserts of documentary footage of e.g. Rhinos loving

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So the Chicago 7 movie sucks but has anyone seen 2000's Steal This Movie? I saw it well over a decade ago and recall it being pretty decent, but I don't recall it well enough to know if it holds up well.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

oof, wasn't trying to minimise anything, i just didn't remember what luc besson had done aside from a mental post-it saying "fifth element guy bad now"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I am 100% sure besson thought he was being extremely deep and profound, but it's just so absurd. Scarjo really commits though, she's great in it

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
was watching a movie with my girlfriend at the time and when the trailer for Lucy came up she inexplicably predicted the ending by making the connection with Lucy the Australopithecus

such a gloriously dumb flick

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lucy loving sucked. its a very dumb guys idea of what a smart movie should be like. she never even gets to use her cool psychic powers

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
to be clear, luc besson is a fukken creep

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

luc besson is a pedophile and also 5th element is a really fun movie

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

that valerian movie he made a few years ago had some fun ideas but everything moved too fast and the leads were downright miserable to watch

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

babypolis posted:

that valerian movie he made a few years ago had some fun ideas but everything moved too fast and the leads were downright miserable to watch

i heard it was really boring, maybe i'll check it out at some point

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

i heard it was really boring, maybe i'll check it out at some point

i mean i wouldn't really recommend it. like the very first scene has so many things going on its basically incomprehensible. but you cant say its not clever. so i guess it can be an interesting movie for some people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Half awake thought but I realise possibly one of the reasons why liberals will agitate for the 'liberation' of any remotely leftist country or just one that doesn't want to be America's bitch while ignoring that the USA is best buds with literal slaveowning monarchies in Saudi Arabia and neighbours might be in pop culture; while a non-American leader who has the title of an elected position can clearly just be the false modesty of a dictator's whimsy, but a king is obviously enlightened and magnanimous and well educated to realise his people just aren't ready for democracy. Coming to America, Black Panther, Babar, et al.

Like, the only times I've seen an African democratically elected leader portrayed positively in fiction is in Metal Gear Rising (where of course he's murdered by Western mercenaries who outright admit Africa isn't war-torn enough for their liking anymore) and The Phantom, which isn't entirely free of it given the Phantom is basically a hereditary monarchy itself. (the tribe who knows his secret even chants 'The Phantom is dead, long live the Phantom' at the ascension of the new one)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You could do an entire semester long class on how African nations are falsely depicted in Lord of War and Blood Diamond. A syllabus, books to read, things to listen to and watch, guest speakers, tests and quizzes and projects and papers and everything just off those two loving movies.

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 03:11 on Oct 25, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

It was so badly written/acted that you wouldn't know that the two leads were supposed to be love interests if they didn't tell you

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Rewatching Steal This Movie and so far it seems okay, though we shall see how it treats Bobby Seale and the Black Panthers. It definitely seems better than whatever Sorkin must have pumped out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, the Phantom has a lot of iffy things going on even today, but manages to be shockingly progressive just in portraying an African country as a place where actual people live and work, and while there's gimmicky tribes in the jungle there's also modern cities, farms and towns. The Phantom even acts as a diplomat and coordinator of rescue work, as well as punching people, and a fair amount of villains are white westerners who think Africa must obviously be a lawless place where they can escape consequences. It's less that that's supposed to be impressive and more that it really shouldn't be, but here we are.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was so badly written/acted that you wouldn't know that the two leads were supposed to be love interests if they didn't tell you

I do feel like this is basically just the endpoint of filmmaking laziness and expectations; obviously the male and female lead are supposed to gently caress.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I remain convinced that the leads in ant-man were specifically cast without regards to chemistry precisely because the people making the movie didn't want them to gently caress but then the mcu people got involved and said nope sorry no not loving allowed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Valerian comcis are really good, read those instead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

babypolis posted:

Yeah it's bad, Lucy works because scarjo is good and its just the right kind of dumb and doesn't outstay its welcome

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

babypolis posted:

It had Rihanna in a stripper scene and it was really weird and boring.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Valerian comcis are really good, read those instead.
The Fifth Element was a better adaptions of the comics.

Alhazred has issued a correction as of 09:52 on Oct 25, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, the Phantom has a lot of iffy things going on even today, but manages to be shockingly progressive just in portraying an African country as a place where actual people live and work, and while there's gimmicky tribes in the jungle there's also modern cities, farms and towns. The Phantom even acts as a diplomat and coordinator of rescue work, as well as punching people, and a fair amount of villains are white westerners who think Africa must obviously be a lawless place where they can escape consequences. It's less that that's supposed to be impressive and more that it really shouldn't be, but here we are.

And also a surprisingly amount of exposed boobs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
there's a lot of problems with the Phantom even just in the basic conceit of them being a white saviour but yeah, i can't pretend like i don't like a lot of it anyway. A Problematic Fave

the 90s movie is also an important part of the :sueme: canon

Alhazred posted:

And also a surprisingly amount of exposed boobs:

as someone who just read the American newspaper strips growing up and only really started reading the local reprints/translations of the European stories this last year or two i was pretty surprised by the non-zero amount of boobs, yeah