Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
A lot of gluten free labeling seems ridiculous but it's important if you actually have celiac disease. Even stuff like plain vegetables can end up with gluten on them if they do something like use wheat flour to prevent things from sticking together on the packaging line, and things that seem like plain meats can have glazes that contain gluten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Apparently some paper straws aren't safe for people with celiac disease.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
One of my friends daughters went full vegan because she has celiac really bad and apparently vegan options have waaaay lower odds of surprise gluten like that.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

"made with real ingredients"

thank the fuckin lord i dunno how many times i've bought some OTHER brand of cookies and got home and the fuckin package was empty because the motherfuckers used imaginary ingredients again. hate buying groceries and the ingredients list is poo poo like unicorn farts and trickle-down economics

I always have the same nitpick about the term "organic". Like, oh great, this cucumber is made out of organic molecules? As opposed to inorganic ones like rocks and metals? Excellent, that sounds like it tastes much better, thanks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Triarii posted:

I always have the same nitpick about the term "organic". Like, oh great, this cucumber is made out of organic molecules? As opposed to inorganic ones like rocks and metals? Excellent, that sounds like it tastes much better, thanks.

"Organic" labels in the US are a joke anyway, and pretty much just exist to double the price of the same products.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

"Organic" labels in the US are a joke anyway, and pretty much just exist to double the price of the same products.
Double the price at half the size. What a deal!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
WHY don't they sell coffee crisp in the US

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Marie Callender microwave meals have had various stickers on them saying poo poo like "now with 33% MORE" and "now with EXTRA FLAVOR" for decades and none of it means anything and nobody's ever done anything about it because advertising execs somehow managed to con brands into thinking that poo poo works instead of just being annoying

Edit: Brands banking on baby's first psychological trickery to sell their product is my pet peeve. poo poo like pricing things at ".99" and pretending a smaller package is a totally new product and so on. Attempting to manipulate people into buying your product through psychological deceit should be illegal. In some saner countries than the US it already is.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Oct 22, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

Attempting to manipulate people into buying your product through psychological deceit should be illegal.
That's basically impossible to regulate. You can make specific tactics illegal but unless you're going to mandate that all products be sold in uniform packaging and not advertise (like with cigarettes) there's always going to be room for psychological trickery.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think most products should be generically packaged

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

That's basically impossible to regulate. You can make specific tactics illegal but unless you're going to mandate that all products be sold in uniform packaging and not advertise (like with cigarettes) there's always going to be room for psychological trickery.

You're right, some of it will have to be phased out of society like the ".99" thing, but you act as if it's impossible for a committee or commission to exist to check for fairness in advertising.

edit: Pretending like it's an unfeasible task is part of the problem. "Why change it when it'd be just so darn difficult?"

The reason why is because brands deserve zero space in your head and zero control over society. An advertising company shouldn't have the right to call you ugly, or imply you will fall behind socially without their product, or spend half the commercial listing the negative effects of medicine being hocked (or sell medicine on TV at all what is that poo poo what the hell). That ability should be taken away from them yesterday, and with strict adherence. It's been getting worse for decades and it will continue to get worse from an ethical standpoint until someone drives a millions-of-dollars-in-fines-shaped nail into it to keep it in place.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Oct 22, 2020

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm all for all products being packaged like in Repo Man

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FreudianSlippers posted:

gently caress yeah. You can no longer call your product "Lemonade Drink" unless it has actual lemons in it. You'd better call it "Lemon-Flavored Artificial Soft Drink" or face the consequences buster.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

You're right, some of it will have to be phased out of society like the ".99" thing, but you act as if it's impossible for a committee or commission to exist to check for fairness in advertising.
Well, it is, because the whole point of advertising is to exploit psychological trickery. Even just making more people aware of your product than are aware of the competing brand is psychological trickery because people show a preference for the familiar. The only way to stop would be to give every brand and every product exactly the same ads in exactly the same places and times to ensure that none of them ever gains any kind of advantage.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
How about you don't go right for the strawman for once and actually engage in a discussion? There is a very big difference between manipulation and exploitation. You're thinking more about the former I feel. Advertisement without exploitation is absolutely possible- it'd be mainly about getting rid of cynicism in my opinion. See the push in recent years for more body positivity in clothing or underwear ads. Yes you could consider that a different type of exploitation because it's essentially using social progress as a vehicle to claim that the company actually cares about such a thing (they do not) but the difference is that you're not shamed into the idea of buying the product. Intentionally exploiting physical weaknesses, fears, and insecurity is what I'm mostly talking about eliminating.

edit: And yes, the ".99" thing counts as that, because the goal is to trick you into believing you are getting a better deal when you aren't. It's a lie.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Oct 22, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Advertisement without exploitation is absolutely possible
I don't think it is. The whole system is based on exploitation. It pervades almost every aspect of modern society.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Unironically here for forcing every brand to turn into no-name

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All hot dogs are now Bar S Hot Dogs

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yellow brand is objectively better than brown brand

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

gluten free bacon

Skittles are fat free!

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

FreudianSlippers posted:

I hope he gives them time to settle before he opens those.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

calendars/teaching materials etc where the first day of the week is sunday

its monday

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shibawanko posted:

calendars/teaching materials etc where the first day of the week is sunday

its monday

ARE there week/month calendars that display weeks as other than Sunday - Saturday? I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

docbeard posted:

ARE there week/month calendars that display weeks as other than Sunday - Saturday? I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild.

I got a Star Wars calendar for Christmas last year that does Monday-Sunday, it took like 3 months to get used to it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The calendar on my Aussie Windows 10 install is Mon - Sun.
The one on my ipad and iphone is Sun - Sat by default for Australia but you can change it to start any day of the week you want.
Maybe I should start my week on a Thursday.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t understand why christians have their sabbath on Sunday but so many of them start their weeks that day.

On the first day, God was really hungover in the limitless void. On the second day, God said “Let there be light”...

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate it when people don’t even try to flatten boxes before putting them in the recycling bin. Even halfassedly stomping on them would be something. I almost had to carry my recyling back home yesterday because someone did this :argh:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hats in restaurants make me go all Tony soprano. Just so classless. But rather than go over to them and pant angrily until they take it off, I just stay at my table and pant angrily at my wife and nothing happens??

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
I keep seeing people putting the dollar sign after the number: like 20$ instead of $20. Small thing but it really annoys me. You've been seeing prices everywhere, all the time, your whole life. How does your brain completely ignore a lifetime of information and put the dollar sign at the end?

Wile E. Toyota has a new favorite as of 03:46 on Oct 24, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wile E. Toyota posted:

I keep seeing people putting the dollar sign after the number: like 20$ instead of $20. Small thing but it really annoys me. You've been seeing prices everywhere, all the time, your whole life. How does your brain completely ignore a lifetime of information and put the dollar sign at the end?

This is how it is in some languages that aren't English

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Same but opposite with percentages. They're written wrong at least %10 of the time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate standard english capitalization rules and think they’re ugly. I refuse to use them online.

“Kingdom of England” is a proper noun, fine. “I hosed the english king,” lowercase.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

This is how it is in some languages that aren't English

20$ feels better even as a native English speaker because you don't say dollars 20.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate standard english capitalization rules and think they’re ugly. I refuse to use them online.

“Kingdom of England” is a proper noun, fine. “I hosed the english king,” lowercase.

Wow, you hosed him lowercase? That's hard core. Best I could do was gently caress the QUEEN all caps :P

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont think months and days of the week should be capitalized

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

docbeard posted:

It varies by country. Europe is all Monday first I think. This explains why my English language version of windows thinks that the week starts on Sunday.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Yeah as a non-american I would write 20$, because that's both how we say it and also how we write it for our currency. Do you know if there's a reason you put it before?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

saturday and sunday are called the weekend. god rested on sunday because he was all tired from making the world. sunday is clearly the last day for a bunch of reasons, who would even think of making it the first

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah well I poo poo myself on a thursday and I dont see anyone rearranging the week around my business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Shibawanko posted:

saturday and sunday are called the weekend. god rested on sunday because he was all tired from making the world. sunday is clearly the last day for a bunch of reasons, who would even think of making it the first

hmm are there any people in the world do you think who have sabbath on Saturday