Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Jeez. I'm starting to wonder if they're gonna release a tweet of me being in this 24 hour long film.

EDIT: Yucky snipe. To add onto villain team discourse I think part of why people would like it to be at this leg of the MCU is because we can skip a lot of clunky establishment. It can be done. I'm not saying it couldn't. I'm just saying we can get more quickly to how neat it might be to see Falcon fight The Vulture when those two characters and what they're about is already taken care of for us.

I have to admit I'm vaguely aware of who the Thunderbolts are, but I don't actually know what separates them from Suicide Squad. Are other heroes aware of them? I have to imagine comics Cap would be wildly not ok with a government approved villain team. I recognize this was a point of discussion in Civil War, but it's been 100 years since that story and I feel like they existed before that.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SonicRulez posted:

Jeez. I'm starting to wonder if they're gonna release a tweet of me being in this 24 hour long film.

Seriously worried I’ll get too drunk and accidentally end up in Justice League without realizing it.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

SonicRulez posted:

EDIT: Yucky snipe. To add onto villain team discourse I think part of why people would like it to be at this leg of the MCU is because we can skip a lot of clunky establishment. It can be done. I'm not saying it couldn't. I'm just saying we can get more quickly to how neat it might be to see Falcon fight The Vulture when those two characters and what they're about is already taken care of for us.

I have to admit I'm vaguely aware of who the Thunderbolts are, but I don't actually know what separates them from Suicide Squad. Are other heroes aware of them? I have to imagine comics Cap would be wildly not ok with a government approved villain team. I recognize this was a point of discussion in Civil War, but it's been 100 years since that story and I feel like they existed before that.

Thunderbolts comic spoilers: When the Thunderbolts first showed up, they were introduced as a new superhero team, and at the end of the first issue it’s revealed that they’re really the Masters of Evil, being led by Baron Zemo, trying to hoodwink the public.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Seriously worried I’ll get too drunk and accidentally end up in Justice League without realizing it.

Zack Snyder enters the wrong acronym into google and instead of a BvS flashback he includes a BSS flashback.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

It gets a lot of crap, but I really like the setup in Andy Diggle's run on Thunderbolts. It's right around the time of Dark Reign, and while he has his team of Dark Avengers, Norman Osborn also has his team of awful bastards for more black ops stuff.

The flexibility is one of my favourite things about Thunderbolts, especially from about Civil War onwards. Civil War Ellis run had them as the shady government-controlled team of villains. Dark Reign had them as awful bastards in service of a supervillain, and then after Siege it was a more standard Dirty Dozen scenario with Luke Cage leading a bunch of them to redemption.

If they do make a D+ series of it then it could run and run pretty comfortably, especially if they can find ways to introduce unseen characters like Songbird without it being too jarring.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

When they were initially introduced it was in the aftermath of a big event where a lot of the classic hero teams had disappeared. So it was Baron Zemo trying to take advantage of that to get a fake hero team and get a bunch of secret assets, money, prestige, etc. Since then they'd done a bunch of different setups though where they're like chipped "heroes" or actual repentant supervillains trying to do good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
From Dark Reign on the T-Bolts book was a lot of fun and I miss it.

As far as Super Villains on tv we're getting the HBO Max Peacemaker show and supposedly several other film spinoffs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thebardyspoon posted:

When they were initially introduced it was in the aftermath of a big event where a lot of the classic hero teams had disappeared. So it was Baron Zemo trying to take advantage of that to get a fake hero team and get a bunch of secret assets, money, prestige, etc. Since then they'd done a bunch of different setups though where they're like chipped "heroes" or actual repentant supervillains trying to do good.

It was a genuine surprise too. This was pre Bleeding Cool so you had to work to find out the twist. Worked really well.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Dawgstar posted:

It was a genuine surprise too. This was pre Bleeding Cool so you had to work to find out the twist. Worked really well.

or read wizard. god, i cant believe i bought those

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fangz posted:

I guess I just think back to all the superhero movies ruined by trying to jam in too many villains (i.e. Spiderman 3) and wondering how that would work if you are doing that and also trying to jam in character development for a full superhero team at the same time.

If a 41 page comic and 24 minute tv show managed to make the Sinister Six work I don't see why a movie couldn't.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

SonicRulez posted:

Just wait for the Extended Edition!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

If a 41 page comic and 24 minute tv show managed to make the Sinister Six work I don't see why a movie couldn't.

How many episodes setting up the Sinister Six in that 24 minute TV show were there, and did the episode in question feature an actual arc for the protagonist like a good movie needs to? Same question, but for the comics.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean...either way, just because it hasn't been done before isn't a reason not to try, particularly if the concept is cool and interesting enough.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guardians of the Galaxy happened, guys.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When the Fatal Five showed up in Bunheads to ruin the big recital I feel like most fans just rolled with it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy happened, guys.

Also like... hundreds and hundreds of ensemble films since the beginning of the medium. I don’t understand why comic movies have such a problem with it. Watch one Robert Altman movie. There isn’t a Nashville Cinematic Universe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Unmature posted:

Also like... hundreds and hundreds of ensemble films since the beginning of the medium. I don’t understand why comic movies have such a problem with it. Watch one Robert Altman movie. There isn’t a Nashville Cinematic Universe.

"A bunch of dudes get together and do a heist" and such are much simpler, familiar set ups than most comic book stuff has. So you have to not only establish characters like Altman stuff, but powers, origins, and then whatever weird comic book bullshit they're doing.

Guardians is the exception not the rule for this stuff because it realizes that most of that poo poo I listed doesn't matter or can be gotten across from context. The problem is I don't think most people look at this poo poo the way Gunn does, and even when they try to rip him off we get original Suicide Squad and it sucks and still falls into all those traps.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Literally the only problem with superhero movies that have too many villains is the pile of origin stories and conflicting story threads that jumble together, if they are all on the same team and do not get stupid origin stories there is no problem. The lack of imagination in this thread is embarrassing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Sure but I already asked about the likes of the Black Order and people wanted something different to that. I guess people want all of these villains to be villains in their own right? Which sort of implies that there needs to be added context and so maybe origin stories. Otherwise there's lots of films that already count.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

"A bunch of dudes get together and do a heist" and such are much simpler, familiar set ups than most comic book stuff has. So you have to not only establish characters like Altman stuff, but powers, origins, and then whatever weird comic book bullshit they're doing.

But why? In Lord of the Rings there was not a lengthy part of the movie dedicated to explain Gandalf's or the Balrog's powers or origins. All the explanation you got was "this is some bad poo poo but maybe I can slow him down for a while".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well if that's the case Age of Ultron is a supervillain team up movie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Fangz posted:

Sure but I already asked about the likes of the Black Order and people wanted something different to that. I guess people want all of these villains to be villains in their own right? Which sort of implies that there needs to be added context and so maybe origin stories. Otherwise there's lots of films that already count.

I think the difference is, the Black Order just appear with no explanation as to who they are apart from "Thanos regards them as a big deal."
Of all of them, only Maw is given any sort of personality or motive.

And that's fine (even if the source material has lots of great stuff to work with.) But in the movie, Glaive and Cul were just glorified CGI threats with little to make them stand out.

If you want a film to be "this team of heroes versus this team of villains" you need the bad guys to have a personality.

You don't need to spend a film fleshing out each and every one (though it is a bit of a shortcut) but even if you do that scene from every hiest film where the boss has all the crooks sit around a table and introduces them, that would work.

It's the difference between "the Flash fights a CGI fire monster" and "the Flash fights Heatwave. Armed bank robber with an unstable temper but a ruthless cunning."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay I was being a little glib earlier, but the concept really is not hard to understand and y'all are completely overthinking this in really weird ways.

A story where a lot of big-name, prominent, recognizable, high-tier villains come together to form a far more dangerous threat than any that the heroes have faced before is simply going to have a different, bigger impact than a team of D-list minions doing D-list minion things. Especially if these characters usually come from different series or franchises that don't usually get the chance to interact. Dr. Doom joining forces with Magneto and Kang the Conqueror is going to be a bigger deal and a cooler story than...hold on yo I have to look up their names...Corvus Glaive and Ebony Maw doing whatever they do. It just is.

It's literally just, take the concept of the Avengers or Justice League but with bad guys. Where did we lose y'all?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess I'm just not super convinced it would necessarily work in a moving picture medium. Doing it in comics is different in how you can organise things and how time compression works and how probably readers won't get confused even if you are cutting between different people fighting. I'm not even sure it escalates the threat because while before you had people like Thanos able to hold off all the heroes at the same time, if you have a big team up battle essentially you have to have the heroes able to beat the villain they paired up against on their own.

On paper it might sound cooler to you but I think it kinda actually deflates the gravitas of some of these villains to me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Fangz posted:

I guess I'm just not super convinced it would necessarily work in a moving picture medium. Doing it in comics is different in how you can organise things and how time compression works and how probably readers won't get confused even if you are cutting between different people fighting. I'm not even sure it escalates the threat because while before you had people like Thanos able to hold off all the heroes at the same time, if you have a big team up battle essentially you have to have the heroes able to beat the villain they paired up against on their own.

On paper it might sound cooler to you but I think it kinda actually deflates the gravitas of some of these villains to me.

But villains like Loki or Ultron or Thanos only work in the films because they have a massive horde of mooks.
There are there to act as an ablative shield. While Thor is hitting Loki in the face, what is Hulk doing? Smashing a sky snake or something.
It means the story can easily have a one on one scene between a hero and the villain without straining credibility.

It also means you can do a brief moment of Thanos fighting a bunch of heroes at once before they are thrown away and have to fight mooks again.
If you don't you end up with that scene on Titan where the heroes all just littarly dog pile on Thanos to try and defeat him.

But if there is an equal number of Masters of Evil to Avengers, you can just do one on one fights. And as long as each villain is distinct and recognisable (which was the big mistake in Shazam. All the seven sins looked near identical. They didn't even make them bright primary colours.) The audience will be able to follow each fight.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

But villains like Loki or Ultron or Thanos only work in the films because they have a massive horde of mooks.
There are there to act as an ablative shield. While Thor is hitting Loki in the face, what is Hulk doing? Smashing a sky snake or something.
It means the story can easily have a one on one scene between a hero and the villain without straining credibility.

It also means you can do a brief moment of Thanos fighting a bunch of heroes at once before they are thrown away and have to fight mooks again.
If you don't you end up with that scene on Titan where the heroes all just littarly dog pile on Thanos to try and defeat him.

But if there is an equal number of Masters of Evil to Avengers, you can just do one on one fights. And as long as each villain is distinct and recognisable (which was the big mistake in Shazam. All the seven sins looked near identical. They didn't even make them bright primary colours.) The audience will be able to follow each fight.

The thing about mooks is that they are an amorphous mass so if Black Widow is smashing a mook in the face it's exciting but not really important, vs if the heroes are fighting a Boss Enemy and you actually have to keep track of the progress of the battle, who is losing and winning, and so on. If you have multiple boss type enemies and you are cutting between these different fights all happening, you wind up mookifying what would in a one-on-one fight be much more of a clear and interesting battle.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Fangz posted:

I think in a movie it could be quite simple. Open it up with a crime scene featuring Boomerang or Kite Man or whoever your audience-insert protagonist is, the crime goes wrong, they get arrested, maybe we get some expository background info here (the one phonecall to a loved one, the hard-boiled detective reading off the charges and background info of the character, etc.) and then, once in [insert comic book high security super-prison] they meet the other characters. We don’t need to spend a lot of time here, think of Guardians of the Galaxy. We don’t need a whole sequence explaining who these people are, we get that they are birds of a feather with the protag. From there the plot unfolds. (A scathing satire of the school-to-prison pipeline and carceral industrial complex)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

All that these tidbits really boil down to is "make a good film." I know for a fact that there were people who were saying at the time that an idea like Guardians of the Galaxy, starring the worst Chris, would never work. Hell, I'm sure there were people who were certain, once upon a time, that the Avengers as a concept would never work.

I mean, the alternative is that we just keep on doing...the exact same sorts of villain beats that we've always been doing, give or take some variations on a theme. Where's the value in that? Why not utilize the tools at your disposal to try interesting things?

And besides, there's no guarantee that a film is good just because it stuck with the same old one-on-one solo villain dynamic, which is why I mentioned that it's weird to overthink something like this. "But what if it's bad?" Well, the general hope is that any film we want to see made would be handled with skill and care, no matter how challenging the premise might be.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 24, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guardians 1 and 2 are still basically Star Lord movies. For both heroes or villains movies can have a ton of characters but they will follow one or two. Sinister Six will be about Dr. Octopus or Osborn or Vulture and the rest will be along for the ride. Brotherhood of Evil Mutants is Magneto's team. Comic book fans are the ones least able to imagine comic book movies because they are attached to the characters before they ever appear on the screen and feel the characters need equal weight and attention and respect when they do appear but it rarely if ever works that way.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Apologies if this brings things close to Snyder chat but does WB think the Snyder cut will actually course correct and lead to more sequels? The money they are throwing at it is absurd and it sounds like it will be a completely different movie. Do the execs think the only reason JL underperformed was because there was not enough Snyder? Like, what are the plans going post Snyder cut.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think they’re basically helpless at this point. I think they agreed to it thinking, like Disney with New Mutants, they’d just slap some finishing touches on it and release it for a quick cash/attention grab. Then Snyder’s fans and the Internet Hyperbole Machine ground ponderously back into action, and Snyder saw an opportunity to capitalize on it all and basically kitchen sink the re-shoots, and now WB and HBO are along for the ride whether they like it or not.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Assuming viewers paid for just the one month to watch jl, how many new hbo subscriptions does wb need to break even on a $70mil project

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

site posted:

Assuming viewers paid for just the one month to watch jl, how many new hbo subscriptions does wb need to break even on a $70mil project

At 15 bucks a sub, 4.6 (repeating) million. Assuming they directly register with HBO and aren’t like me with it attached to a Hulu account costing them a cut.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It would be kind of funny if Snyder just kept making it longer and more expensive and finally they had no choice but to fire him and hire someone to finish the job.

But yeah, I think they thought this would just be an easy bonus thing to throw on the streaming service and draw eyes and good will. And now they're financing some mega mini series somehow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

It would be kind of funny if Snyder just kept making it longer and more expensive and finally they had no choice but to fire him and hire someone to finish the job.

But yeah, I think they thought this would just be an easy bonus thing to throw on the streaming service and draw eyes and good will. And now they're financing some mega mini series somehow.

Then in a few years they’ll talk about doing the Snyder Snyder Cut

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Justice League: The Snyderer Cut

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

STAC Goat posted:

justice league: the snyder cut - the max landis re-edit

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel bad for the "There's a Suicide Squad Director's Cut too" guy.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

justice league: the snyder cut - the max landis re-edit

snyder cut - the max landis re-edit -The Girl Talk remix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WB hires Greg Berlanti who immediately casts Melissa Benoist, Grant Gustin, and Stephen Amell for a power of love resolution.