Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Link just immediately limps back to the bed and sleeps for an extra 20 years.

On another note, It's kind of ridiculous how Rogue Galaxy gets overlooked while Star Ocean 3 is constantly griped about, because this game is Star Ocean but done better - you aren't stuck on endless medieval planets 80% of the game, item crafting is fun and meaningful, the voice acting is decent and the combat options are mostly worth using. It's just the difference between a game that's so unbalanced it's meme worthy and a much better game that just doesn't try to be anything but what it is and so doesn't get as much attention.
Basically, if you want a good Star Ocean, rogue Galaxy scratches the same itch.

Also I like that the seven swords of power or whatev are a thing you can get, but they aren't important to the plot. They are just a world-building thing that you can choose to seek out or ignore. I've only got to the mining planet so far, but I read about that aspect and like that. Most settings have every myth be important to saving the universe, so it's nice to have a few irrelevant myths that can be explored but aren't linked to each other. It feels more realistic than GET SEVEN SWORDS TO UNLOCK THE PATH TO EDEN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Posted this in the wrong thread

Recently released rogue like Hades has a mode just for people bad at videogames like me that makes it easier to complete

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mokinokaro posted:

Shame about the slurs in the chat on occasion in that video. Bloody gamers.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Vigil: The longest night is Igavania styled game with a small smattering of dark souls in there but not enough to call it soulslike, and it has a stickbug enemy thats massive enough to use as a platform which was kinda cool to find as a logical mimic enemy in a huge forest. The thing that really gets me is that theres also smaller poison moths that look like the broken ends of tree branches, and those took me a lot longer to catch because they take a bit before they move, even if you step on them.

It also has a cool logical next step from dark souls enchanting where each gem has dual purpose of either applying a status, or providing a special effect like boosting your spellcasting or providing a .01% of enemies max hp added as damage per attack, so gems are far more likely to be useful in some way.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

CJacobs posted:

It also provides some really sneaky world building. If you listen close to what he's actually talking about during his rambles, you can piece together that he's the one who wrote the dreaded Tennyson Report that Trench flipped his lid about. At one point he brings up his cat at home being taken care of by the neighbor, which he mentions offhand in the main game a few times. In the DLC Langston says that he named his cat, Alfred, after his favorite poet. The poet being referred to is Alfred Tennyson, whose poem "Tears, Idle Tears" is quoted at the top of the Report.

The part that made me go "hmm" was when Langston mentions that he doesn't remember how he got the cat. Given the world he lives in and specifically what part of the building he works in, that should probably raise a few more eyebrows than it does.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Telekinetic cat buddy confirmed for Control 2

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Anno 2205 wisely decided to ditch the washed-out, desaturated color palette of the previous (and subsequent) games and went with a rich, colorful palette that I think makes the game look so much prettier than most city-builders even in areas like the arctic and moon.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Killzone Shadow Fall: You can bump into and push the dead bodies floating in low gravity.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Polaron posted:

The part that made me go "hmm" was when Langston mentions that he doesn't remember how he got the cat. Given the world he lives in and specifically what part of the building he works in, that should probably raise a few more eyebrows than it does.

It is known that Langston has a real knack for taking care of altered items because he treats them nicely. Altered cat or not it probably appreciates him all the same.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Telekinetic cat buddy confirmed for Control 2

You can't just say that and not post sources

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

You can't just say that and not post sources

It’s a joke, read the spoilers

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Telekinetic cat buddy protagonist confirmed for Control 2

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm fine with either option, to be honest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

haveblue posted:

It’s a joke, read the spoilers

I CAN DREAM

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Oh great now that can knock poo poo off shelves they're not even jumping on.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've been playing FFVIII for the first time, and I love that the events around getting your airship are so perfect for how 'discovering an ancient flying machine' would go.

1. Squall prods ineffectually at the controls of the thing he doesn't understand until someone asks if he has any idea what he's doing enough times that he blurts out he doesn't. This is not a cutscene; you're literally supposed to randomly hit buttons on a control panel while someone wonders what you're doing.
2. Accidentally launch the thing, baffling everybody around who didn't know the thing could fly.
3. After the initial freakout, everyone shifts into 'oh, this is really nice'
4. "Wait poo poo how do we steer!?"
5. Immediately crash into the ocean in a wild panic.

Too many people in video games immediately know how to operate complex vehicles they've never seen before, it's really refreshing to see an immediate floundering disaster because it turns out flying's actually hard.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Oct 23, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something neat about Rogue Galaxy is that at one point there is a story branch - a dungeon on each of three previously visited planets for you to explore so you can move on with the story. Each dungeon ties into the themes of that world:

Jiraika: Their story overall is one of stifling oneself and ones community with restrictive rules that only serve to tear people apart as people who break them are banished. - Jiraika is preventing any progress by banishing anyone who gets inventive, so they are stuck in a semi-permanent rut until they decide to work together, however it's getting harder as time goes by because most of the outcasts don't care about the other villagers - they are continuing their research mostly out of spite to the village and hope that they can make something better despite the efforts of their peers. In the revisit dungeon Leo King was literally prevented from growing into his own person, being kept as a permanent toddler by his mother.

Vedan: Vedan's main story is one of misery - there are no happy endings or satisfying resolutions, everyone is either stuck or dead except for the party member and no one has any real prospects anymore, and no one even gets a good death, just a bunch of backstabbing and ambushes. In that vein, even the dungeon doesn't have a satisfying conclusion either except the beast who was befriended by the children in the area finally getting closure - there is no epic boss fight, even the midboss against Seed ends with a whimper, and the children are left alone to fend for themselves.

Zerard: the third dungeon's theme is this - the flame ghost guys are you - trapped in a grudgematch between people for a cause you don't care about while you just try to move on with your life. The ghosts died in a pointless war, more annoyed with their princes' inability to deal with their poo poo, and in the initial visit, you are unable to get your license renewed because local drama keeps getting in the way, forcing you to deal with their poo poo.

I thought that was interesting.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Ziggurat 2 went into early access yesterday, and I like that whenever you get something new its always there among the random stuff you can pick for your loadout so you can try it out right away on your next mission.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I must be remembering Rogue Galaxy wrong, because iirc it was a stale, boring grindy game with stilted combat and lame visual design.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I must be remembering Rogue Galaxy wrong, because iirc it was a stale, boring grindy game with stilted combat and lame visual design.
I worked as a translator on this game and you both remember more of it than I do.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

My box is sitting a few feet away from me, and you're both correct. Re-experience it through an appreciative LP and it's great. Play ot yourself and smash through a short podcast. Like the History of Rome, Byzantium, and Revolutions in order.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
To be fair, Vedan's story is pretty okay for a detective noir thing, and that's at least partly off the English VA performance.

The rest of the story is just determined to smash its face into every single generic RPG cliche it can to try and form them into some cohesive whole, while hoping nobody sees all the bits of the Star Wars scripts they carefully edited to look original.

And I say that as someone who likes the game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Are you new to BioEnchanted?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Rogue Galaxy was the biggest load of crap to my Dark Cloud 2 loving 16-year-old self.

In any game that's considerably long and has combat, what methods are approriate to stop the player from spamming the same moves over and over again?

Devil May Cry will let you pass but give you a poor score for being boring.

The good Arkham games force you to adapt with curated combat encounters. You have to decide who to punch on the fly when there's a shield-guy, knife-dude, gun-man, lard-rear end, and taser-face in the mix.

90% of the fun in Horizon is stripping off a robot-dino's weapons and armour as well as laying on the status-effects.

Most Obsidian games let you bypass encounters with diplomacy and stealth.

The Witcher 3 and Reboot Assassins' Creeds fall into this pit because of the sheer length of their games when your own arsenal isnt that varied.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
A semi-related thing that still bothers me:

Rogue Galaxy: A PS2 JRPG that's famously pretty slow and grindy, that was remastered in 2015.

Rogue Legacy: A Castlevania-imitating roguelike that's known for being kind of unpleasantly grindy, first released in 2013 but got some console ports in 2014 and 2015 that got it decent recognition.

Rebel Galaxy: A space sim that's very slow and patient but in a genre where that's generally a good quality, released in 2015.

I've never heard one of these three titles and been correct about which one is being referred to first-time.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Cleretic posted:

Rogue Galaxy: A PS2 JRPG that's famously pretty slow and grindy, that was remastered in 2015.

Rogue Legacy: A Castlevania-imitating roguelike that's known for being kind of unpleasantly grindy, first released in 2013 but got some console ports in 2014 and 2015 that got it decent recognition.

Rebel Galaxy: A space sim that's very slow and patient but in a genre where that's generally a good quality, released in 2015.

I've never heard one of these three titles and been correct about which one is being referred to first-time.

I’m pretty sure every time I’ve seen any of these names posted I immediately thought “Star Wars game” and skimmed ahead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I remember in the biggest fights and the challenge modes in Arkham City, the weapon-breaking disarm move is your best friend because otherwise it's relatively easy to beat up one knife, gun or shield mook but then another one will pick it up. That might be one of the things that makes you really feel like Batman in those games- you have to fight smart.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Origins mucked it up by not letting you cancel your attacks, then giving you a complete game-breaker that trivialises the last third.

Knight of course gave the Batmobile it's own combat-system and skill-tree, and the whole experience never rises above narcoleptic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Batman being able to move cancel like he has innate fighting game tech is never not hilarious

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I replayed Rogue Galaxy within the last year or so, and a few parts of it are straight-up garbage. Unfortunately these are parts like, well, all combat past the second planet and also the plot in general. Like, the final part of the game feels completely out of place and just tacked on.

But yeah the combat.is what turned me off from a bunch of the game. Enemies that hit repeatedly (multiple times per second), juggling you, with no invincibility frames? Great. One combo and you're pretty much dead. Turns combat into just using your special attacks until everything is dead.

I like a lot about it, like the way you power up your guys or the weapon combination system (though it's not as good as Dark Cloud's). But ugh that combat.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm close to the end of the game and i'm still enjoying it, I'm finding the bosses kind of interesting. Also the FMV with Jaster and Seed trying to solve the puzzle to unlock the labyrinth was pretty cool.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Playing through sleeping dogs again and one of the options for face costume is a face mask. Wei is doing his part to prevent the spread! Of covid, not violence.

And Wei hates dogeyes. At the start when they're talking about Ming getting in with dogeyes Wei's immediate reaction is "what? You want me to make an example of dogeyes??"

He really wants any excuse to go after him.

ilmucche has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Oct 24, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I've played two out of three of these games and I still have the same reaction.

I've been playing through the new harder NG+ modes in Nioh 2 and there's a little thing that doesn't come up much that I appreciate quite a bit. Sometimes, usually towards the end of the campaign or the end of one of the DLCs, Nioh will do a thing where you beat a boss and then a second, bigger boss with jump into the arena like a WWE run-in. If you die at that point and run back to the boss arena, the game just skips over the first boss and lets you go straight to the big guy. Souls-like and similar action games usually don't give you that kind of pseudo-checkpoint . It's very nice to not have to stomp over Chumpsuke Threemoves every time you need to retry the actual challenge.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Rogue Galaxy was the biggest load of crap to my Dark Cloud 2 loving 16-year-old self.

In any game that's considerably long and has combat, what methods are approriate to stop the player from spamming the same moves over and over again?

Devil May Cry will let you pass but give you a poor score for being boring.

The good Arkham games force you to adapt with curated combat encounters. You have to decide who to punch on the fly when there's a shield-guy, knife-dude, gun-man, lard-rear end, and taser-face in the mix.

90% of the fun in Horizon is stripping off a robot-dino's weapons and armour as well as laying on the status-effects.

Most Obsidian games let you bypass encounters with diplomacy and stealth.

The Witcher 3 and Reboot Assassins' Creeds fall into this pit because of the sheer length of their games when your own arsenal isnt that varied.

middle Earth games have a similar thing but seem to mix it up pretty well, except for the DLC stuff on the recent ones where your tactics are limited to the character you're playing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

Playing through sleeping dogs again and one of the options for face costume is a face mask. Wei is doing his part to prevent the spread! Of covid, not violence.

And Wei hates dogeyes. At the start when they're talking about Ming getting in with dogeyes Wei's immediate reaction is "what? You want me to make an example of dogeyes??"

He really wants any excuse to go after him.

Dogeyes is why he went back to HK in the first place, wasn’t he?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cleretic posted:

I hear Rogue Galaxy and think of Freedom Planet, a Sonic the Hedgehog-inspired platformer.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cleretic posted:

I think Rogue Galaxy just got a PS2 on PS4 port, it wasn’t a full remaster.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Scaramouche posted:

middle Earth games have a similar thing but seem to mix it up pretty well, except for the DLC stuff on the recent ones where your tactics are limited to the character you're playing.

I do like that unlike Arkham, dealing with special enemy types isn't just 'dodge and disarm' but having to actually use different methods and attacks- shield orcs you can attack head on to break the shields but need to dodge their attacks, while berserkers will counter your attacks but are vulnerable to your counters in turn. (the instant-kill counter is one of the best skills in the game)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Really liking Franklin's special ability in GTAV, basically a bullet time meter you can activate while driving. Careening along at high speed in my clumsy panel van, then suddenly using it to weave gracefully through a crowded traffic jam and evade the folks chasing me is pretty :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
My dorm mate in college played through Rogue Galaxy and seemed like to like it. I tried it later on PS2 and again on PS4 but it never hooked me for the long run. One thing I really liked was the crafting system, which was like a Zachtronics game before those took off.

https://youtu.be/5RfjuymHeaA