Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Police procedural is yesterday's news, the new default mode for shows is "a group of early-mid 20s trans and/or BIPOC folks dealing with life" and Sandman is the one property that's going to intersect with it by default but also more or less coincidence.

Feel like if this was true we'd have a Wicked+Divine show by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

The Swamp Thing tax story wasn't true but was one of the most true-feeling stories I've ever encountered and that makes it slightly better than being true; I could readily accept that a state tourism incentive tax rebate program screwed up, I could even more readily accept that Warners totally hosed up trying to save what is ultimately a negligible amount of money, it was perfect

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

My Lovely Horse posted:

Police procedural is yesterday's news, the new default mode for shows is "a group of early-mid 20s trans and/or BIPOC folks dealing with life"

Which alternate earth do you live on

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

site posted:

Which alternate earth do you live on

The CWverse?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
afaik even that only has the one trans character on supergirl

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

yeah but obviously that means the whole show is about the Burger King Kids Club trying to get through life, the mere suggestion of representation changed the genre from "police procedural where some of the cops can fly" to that, apparently

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Titans has a trans actor but I don't remember if they ever actually said that the character was supposed to be trans.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

muscles like this! posted:

Titans has a trans actor but I don't remember if they ever actually said that the character was supposed to be trans.

if Jericho's gender identity or sexuality were ever addressed at all, I must have missed it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The arrowverse had quite a few gay characters but never to the point where I would say they were "lgbtq focused" or anything. The leads in all those shows except arguably a couple seasons of legends are all just straight couples too. What a bizarre post.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

The arrowverse had quite a few gay characters but never to the point where I would say they were "lgbtq focused" or anything. The leads in all those shows except arguably a couple seasons of legends are all just straight couples too. What a bizarre post.

As a whole you're right, but I thought Sarah Lance was the lead for most of Legends and she's bisexual and in a committed relationship with a woman most of the time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

As a whole you're right, but I thought Sarah Lance was the lead for most of Legends and she's bisexual and in a committed relationship with a woman most of the time.

I haven't watched much legends, but knew she and Constantine had pretty prominent roles in at least a few seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vince MechMahon posted:

I haven't watched much legends, but knew she and Constantine had pretty prominent roles in at least a few seasons.

There's a reason we call it Captain Sarah Lance - Time Lesbian

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Medullah posted:

There's a reason we call it Captain Sarah Lance - Time Bi

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I know it's not required to be bisexual, but has Sarah Lance actually slept with a dude since Robert Queen's boat sunk?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
She and Constantine have slept with each other, yes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was a plot thread for a few episodes that Ava had some lingering anxiety over Sarah banging Constantine and then a couple weeks later getting together with her

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

She and Constantine have slept with each other, yes.

Okay, I couldn't remember, I knew they flirted, the only other people beside her main girlfriend I could remember her sleeping with was Nissa Al-Ghul and Supergirl's sister.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sara also slept with Ollie when she got back to Starling, and had a bit of a mutual attraction thing with Snart right before he died.

Other than that it's been all ladies: Ava, Nyssa, Alex, the Nurse in the 50's, that one Noblewoman at the start of season 2, Queen Guinevere...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, Sarah owns

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hope they do cut the DCU stuff from the show. It's honestly jarring in the book because it gets so far away from that stuff as it goes. Of course keep Cain and Able, but I don't need Martian Manhunter to show up.
MM showing up is cool because it shows what Morpheus looks to the Martians which I always liked about The Sandman was how folks viewed him from their cultural background

I wish for the audiobook they changed some of the problematic LGBT stuff that might have been progressive at the time, that are now very out of date

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I wish for the audiobook they changed some of the problematic LGBT stuff that might have been progressive at the time, that are now very out of date

What specifically? I'm not doubtful or anything it's just been a very long time since I've read the comic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Skwirl posted:

What specifically? I'm not doubtful or anything it's just been a very long time since I've read the comic.

I know AIDS in the LGBTQ community is a focus in the Doll's House.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
He doesn't do a super excellent job with the trans woman, Wanda. He could have done a lot worse but there are certain issues where I feel like if he'd had one or two frank conversations with a real live trans person in the plotting stages the story would have been quite a bit different. Ironically I don't mind the bit where Wanda can't partake in the women's ritual because the moon does not consider her a woman all that much. It's a horror comic and that's a horrific thought. It's visceral and nightmarish in a way that makes sense for the logic of the setting, a setting which is shown over and over again to be metaphysically amoral. I just think the character's death in service of a cis woman's character development is corny.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 25, 2020

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

How Wonderful! posted:

He doesn't do a super excellent job with the trans woman, Wanda. He could have done a lot worse but there are certain issues where I feel like if he'd had one or two frank conversations with a real live trans person in the plotting stages the story would have been quite a bit different. Ironically I don't mind the bit where Wanda can't partake in the women's ritual because the moon does not consider her a woman all that much. It's a horror comic and that's a horrific thought. It's visceral and nightmarish in a way that makes sense for the logic of the setting, a setting which is shown over and over again to be metaphysically amoral. I just think the character's death in service of a cis woman's character development is corny.
Honestly Thessely kind of works if you look at her as a TERF;

Another big thing is the that one side story with Element Girl which I've seen people say is a pro-suicide comic

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Oh shoot, we made it to page 666! Hulu's Marvel's Helstrom would be proud.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hail Satan and watch Sabrina I guess

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

Isn't the audio book version still set in the 80s though?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Medullah posted:

I forget if it’s mentioned in doll house but it is brought up in kindly ones, but it was not due to them being gay but a blood transfusion

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

site posted:

Hail Satan and watch Sabrina I guess

Ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ty-iJqewqY

Oh wait you probably meant the new one...

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly Thessely kind of works if you look at her as a TERF;

Another big thing is the that one side story with Element Girl which I've seen people say is a pro-suicide comic

the element girl issue is a top 5 all time individual comic issue and its absolutely about assisted suicide in the face of unimaginable daily suffering

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
to be clear “unimaginable daily suffering” does not refer to external or existential angst. it is very literal

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

achillesforever6 posted:

Like scary ghost dog said, it's an issue about euthanasia more or less, and the right for a person in agony with physically and medically and emotionally and mentally no realistic hope of ever getting better to die with dignity. I think just calling it a "pro-suicide comic" is pretty goofy and I would be surprised if anyone ever came away from it thinking, like "oh, I should go kill myself now because Neil Gaiman said I was allowed to."

It's for sure one of the more meaningful comics about death I've ever read and is dealing with what it means to choose to be alive or to be dead on a different level than most comics and certainly most comics in 1990. It's really good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the best and worst comic versions of Satan?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

What's the best and worst comic versions of Satan?

Lucifer in Lucifer, and the main Satan in Ennis' Hellblazer are probably my two favorites.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

my personal favorite is Satannish, because he definitely was named when a Comics Code guy was like "is this Satan??!" and Roy Thomas answered "well, he's Satan-ish"

also because he has a second face on his tummy

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know comic book companies can never leave well enough alone but it is still annoying that they brought Lucifer back after the ending to his solo series.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

I know comic book companies can never leave well enough alone but it is still annoying that they brought Lucifer back after the ending to his solo series.

I actually kind of liked the bizarre new vertigo series but I had to pretend it was a different reality because I loved Carey's series so much

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Sara Lance with no H, drat it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skwirl posted:

the main Satan in Ennis' Hellblazer are probably my two favorites.

I really like how petty their relationship is. They stopped trying to kill each other and instead they decided to make each other's lives miserable. In Preacher I kinda liked how Satan hasn't been alive for centuries and no one cares.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alhazred posted:

I really like how petty their relationship is. They stopped trying to kill each other and instead they decided to make each other's lives miserable. In Preacher I kinda liked how Satan hasn't been alive for centuries and no one cares.

The whole premise of the Dangerous Habits arc is that John sold his soul to each of the 3 lords of hell and the First of the Fallen (Satan) had to keep him alive so they didn't have an all out war in hell. Really loved old Hellblazer